Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Seraph sleeper account spotted

That certainly would explain a large percentage of the brain damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Invest in bitcoins and not the stock market, both systems being exactly the same, but bitcoin is better because its about computers.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Are we still pretending that anyone actually plays Star Citizen?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Sound on

https://i.imgur.com/k7DRXpX.mp4

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Cat seems sceptical about this kind of behaviour.

JcDGAF
Apr 13, 2015

On Swol Patrol.
Oh no - I'm being swarmed again.

Also, more pet videos. It's a nice neutral ground.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JcDGAF posted:

Don't get mad bro. You can 100% spawn an idris through crime stat lol. Do 2 more min of research please.

JcDGAF posted:

@Tippis
Another keyboard commando who hasn't played the game. Tell us more.

Buddy, you came to the wrong thread

:haw:

JcDGAF posted:

Oh no - I'm being swarmed again.

Its not "being swarmed" when you go into a thread dedicated to making fun of a trainwreck and start insulting people with the amazing defense of "well have you ridden the train yourself?"

Dude come ON you could not ask for attention any more

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/k7JGXMR.mp4

JcDGAF
Apr 13, 2015

On Swol Patrol.

Zaphod42 posted:

Buddy, you came to the wrong thread

:haw:

I learned that seconds after my initial post tbh.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Beet Wagon posted:

It's not your fault at all. The Idris has been tantalizingly close since it did that cool flyover half a decade ago, it's only natural to assume it's out by now.

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/804413750069473280

I just realized they had this chariot since 2015. It took them five loving years to find a fresh graduate senior developer who stopped and said:

- What if we remove the interior and just offer a hollow shell to shut up those whales?

They are slow even at failing.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

JcDGAF posted:

You'll never afford an Idris with that mindset.

EDIT
I posted a bug-free video, but maybe you just haven't gotten there yet :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLRFu2nIHHg

That isn't footage of you playing the game and having fun.

That's a clip montage from some streamer.

JcDGAF
Apr 13, 2015

On Swol Patrol.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

That isn't footage of you playing the game and having fun.

That's a clip montage from some streamer.

Bro - I'm not a streamer. What do you want from me, a career change?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

JcDGAF posted:

Bro - I'm not a streamer. What do you want from me, a career change?

Couldn't hurt.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This is gonna sound wild but you don’t have to be a streamer.

JcDGAF
Apr 13, 2015

On Swol Patrol.

Beet Wagon posted:

This is gonna sound wild but you don’t have to be a streamer.

Teach me senpai.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am a streamer

JcDGAF
Apr 13, 2015

On Swol Patrol.

peter gabriel posted:

I am a streamer

How much aUEC for a tutorial?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

JcDGAF posted:

How much aUEC for a tutorial?

My knowledge is free to those who dare to dream and dream big

JcDGAF
Apr 13, 2015

On Swol Patrol.

peter gabriel posted:

Pfft - Do you even know the types of games I support?! IN!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If someone buys me an Idris I will attempt to play Star Citizen for 2 whole hours and live stream it. I know it sounds crazy but for your entertainment I'll try.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

I am a streamer

If you happen to see Rexzilla in one of those secret meetings you streamers do all the time, plz tell him that his troops are still waiting for him to come back.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

Friend, I am listening.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I love you JcDGAF, never stop believing. I'll also take an idris but the P model not the other 3 models of ships that won't exist ever.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

JcDGAF posted:

You'll never afford an Idris with that mindset.

EDIT
I posted a bug-free video, but maybe you just haven't gotten there yet :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLRFu2nIHHg

I gotta be honest trying to sneak up on a dude to knife him, but the knife not working at all, then trying to grenade him, but the grenade not working, then working kinda, then shooting him in the ankle to stutter-ragdoll him doesn't look like fun.

JcDGAF
Apr 13, 2015

On Swol Patrol.

Charles Get-Out posted:

I gotta be honest trying to sneak up on a dude to knife him, but the knife not working at all, then trying to grenade him, but the grenade not working, then working kinda, then shooting him in the ankle to stutter-ragdoll him doesn't look like fun.

Unless you're the guy getting knifed and nade'd.

JcDGAF
Apr 13, 2015

On Swol Patrol.
I know I'll be painting a target on my back, but based on recently acquired info, I will now be attempting to post my first recorded gameplay video ever here for feedback. It will be Star Citizen.

Look forward to everyone's positive feedback!

E:
Shout out to peter gabriel!

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

JcDGAF posted:

Unless you're the guy getting knifed and nade'd.

Oh word yeah I'm big on staring at walls.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JcDGAF posted:

I know I'll be painting a target on my back, but based on recently acquired info, I will now be attempting to post my first recorded gameplay video ever here for feedback. It will be Star Citizen.

Look forward to everyone's positive feedback!

E:
Shout out to peter gabriel!

Make sure you capture the majesty of waking up from your wankstation.

JcDGAF
Apr 13, 2015

On Swol Patrol.

trucutru posted:

Make sure you capture the majesty of waking up from your wankstation.

Oh, it will be unedited start to finish. Get the whole experience UNCUT.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

JcDGAF posted:

This is gonna be the greatest troll when he justs rick rolls us. I'm welcoming it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

downout posted:

I finally got around to watching the hbo theranos documentary. It's stunning how accurately it tracks to CIG and roberts' actions and statements. They really are the theranos of the gaming industry. If there were any sort of regulatory body involved they would have been crushed a few years back.

That documentary sucked, especially it's bizarre focus on game theory or whatever the gently caress. Read Bad Blood instead, which is a much more hilarious and terrifying indictment of Theranos and just how far it came along before someone finally called bullshit.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JcDGAF posted:

Can you at least edit out the train rides? That should cut out at least a few hours.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

JcDGAF posted:

Having suffered through a few streams this is where SC really falls down unless you have a crowd of friends it's often just 10 minutes of fighting Mobi glass to get into a 20 minute wait in QT talking about how great everything is to explode at the destination.
No you have start the whole process again talking about how this never normally happens, but now have now been live for 50 minutes and so far have failed anything resembling gameplay. This has always been my experience and the only time i hear otherwise is in the Reddit forums about these amazing gameplay sesstions.

Even rexzilla streams which had its own CIG Devs supporting fell over all the time.

Hats of to people who are having fun, I have played my share of broken games that I was desperate to love or do instead of engineering mathematics. Do what ever brings you joy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is the game out or what? I'm getting a bit impatient, to be honest.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
:munch:

Bring on the vids!

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
While we're waiting for this video of good, fun Star Citizen gameplay, let's start a list of other games that make for a better space game than Star Citizen with some explanations why. My proposed BTTBDSSE space games:

Elite Dangerous; Obviously a classic answer to this question. It makes for a neat spaceflight simulator, where you can fly between various space stations and planets to do some space trucking, or mine asteroids, and reliably being able to do these things without the game dying randomly means you can successfully make some money towards your next ship so you can do the thing better. There's other stuff like bounty hunting and planet exploration and PvP combat that probably also works but I didn't do much before losing interest because it turns out space is really very big and there's a lot of nothing in between everything.

Astroneer; It's essentially a space themed voxel mining game with a gameplay loop based around base building, where you explore and harvest resources to craft newer base components and more complex resources, while also managing your power generation and oxygen supply. These planets can be entirely reshaped by various mining tools, allowing you to go right to the core of the planet in search of new materials, but you will have to reach other planets and moons (essentially different maps with loading screens, sorry fidelity fans) in search of higher class resources to unlock further advancements. This gives the game a pretty good sense of progression even if the planets are your expected proc-gen landscapes littered with resource nodes and debris. It does seem to have some problems with its upto 4 person multiplayer as you get further into the game, though that may be a console optimisation problem that goes away if you throw real modern hardware at it.

Outer Wilds; Unlike a similarly named game, Outer Wilds is an engrossing space archaeology game where you traverse a small galaxy with real Newtonian physics, exploring ancient alien ruins to understand the secrets of these people who came before, where they came from and what happened to them, and what is happening to the stars out in the distance. Each of the small planets has a number of locations to navigate and explore and with your wood-and-tinfoil spaceship you can get to pretty much any of the planets in a couple minutes, which means whenever you find a clue towards something elsewhere you can go check it out pretty much immediately. Your ship also has damage states for each component (which can all be repaired on the fly) so if you damage the thrusters on one side your steering goes awry, if you land too hard you break your lights and landing gear, and if you do enough damage to the cockpit your ship breaks apart and you're left stranded or floating uselessly in space. I've actually considered making a video of this one, because it would actually make a really good example of the antithesis of Star Citizen's big empty aimless world, and why having a small space full of content makes for a good game. But I'm not great at videos and only have a PS4. Still a great game if you want an interesting singleplayer exploration puzzle game in space.

Saints Row 4; Yeah sure I'm going to call this a space game even though you only fly an actual spaceship a couple of times, and spend 98% of your time in a virtual Matrix rendition of the city from Saints Row 3. You are actually on a spaceship that whole time anyway. If SC can call itself a space game while questionably being a game, I can call this a space game which is questionably set in space. It's a very unrealistic game, because the only thing the devs cared about was how fun it was and how cool it looked, and I imagine if realism was ever on the cards you wouldn't be a crime boss turned media star and also the President using overpowered guns and superpowers to fight aliens while hanging out with people who are canonically dead as hell and/or sometimes the same person at multiple times in their life. Yes it's ridiculous and puerile but it's a reckless anarchic romp that encourages you to do as you please, with a ton of customisation options on your body, clothes, and pretty much all your vehicles, which you don't need to buy with real money. Pretty much all of it works, and while it's only 4 players I'd like to see someone mod the game to get 40 people in and see if the engine would cope better than Cryengine does.

Obviously this list is from most to least like what Star Citizen is trying to be, I feel like a Minecraft space travel mod would be second or third on this list (I'm sure there is one, I've just never played it) and a Skyrim space themed mod could be arguably above SR4 depending on how involved it was.

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 31, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheDarkFlame posted:

While we're waiting for this video of good, fun Star Citizen gameplay, let's start a list of other games that make for a better space game than Star Citizen with some explanations why. My proposed BTTBDSSE space games:

Wing Commander is a better space game than Star Citizen.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

JcDGAF posted:

Some of you guys make solid points and I gain perspective. Others call me out for inaccuracy of a my personal recent player experience (?) or source very outdated material not relevant in 2020. Private servers? Wtf is that, lol. The truth is I felt more engaged with the 50 man community servers in star citizen than my lifetime gameplay in both NMS or Elite and to be honest, I'm considering an additional investment.

But why can't we both win?

Disgruntled backers - this is your chance at a cash refund that CIG no longer offers (?). Shoot me over some of your packages and I'll make an offer. Additionally, auctioning it off to the buddies I've been playing with if I'm not interested. I obviously won't offer complete recompense, but you'll be made respectably whole depending on level of interest.

This way, in my ignorance, you can profit off the scam instead of CIG.

Please post testicles for verification.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Come commandos, on wings of joy we'll fly
To where my bower hangs on high;
Come, and make thy calm retreat,
Among procedurally generated green leaves and blossoms sweet.
If you’re taking audience requests for your gameplay videos, my personal favourite is the vanishing train stations on the snow planet. Commandos board the train but the stations never load, so they’re trapped forever as no-clip is only enabled once you get in a spaceship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The real game is Turbine's 'pledging' storefront, so aren't we all veterans here?

In that case, I would be one of those F2P freeloaders who never gave them so much as a dime but took up space in the database