Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
What annoyed me most when I popped into Jinx and Tuna on Twitch was how they didn't seem to be place any value in shields as a means of allowing DPS to do its job, instead focusing more on potential damage ceiling. You can get enough damage to clear Floor 12 with lovely purples. The hard part is surviving one-shots and those goddamn icicle staggers while having unreliable stamina regen. I know they admitted it made it more comfortable for whales to clear or something, but shields aren't a luxury to get once you max out DPS dammit.

Naturally, the worst part of the Zhongli backlash to me was that low effort making GBS threads on him as a 3* character drowning out any conversation that suggested that his shield was actually a pretty decent tool, flaws aside. I was able to go from 3 stars to 6 with his help even before unintentionally whaling for his constellations, so I'll always have a soft spot for the lovely original Zhongli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
^^^ Survivability is the practical bottleneck for multiple characters in the game. Maximum deeps in a theoretical environment don't mean anything if your carry dies (looking at you, Klee). Shields good. Shields good.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Has Science Gone Too Far?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The problem is that a 5k hp shield isn't that much of a big deal when you can instantly take 10k damage in abyss 10 from an anemoboxer ragdolling you.

Wait actually maybe it is big? Shields give you stagger resistance so they are probably a big reduction in unavoidable stunlock damage.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I finally did Oceanid without Klee and I AM SO SORRY FOR NOT UNDERSTANDING YOUR PAIN. Sweet Jessy I was at like 5% hp on every character at one point klenching every possible muscle trying to get some energy on a healer.

Is jinx the monhun person? I remember that Klee frame breakdown and it’s like... the canceling is very obvious immediately on using her and canceling into further attack combos like... the least useful thing, and I unno it just felt exhausting and weirdly argumentative.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
fischl has and always will dumpster oceanid

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Nakar posted:

I'm legitimately confused how anyone can play with Albedo for more than a few minutes and not notice that he gives really, really good shield coverage despite not having an actual shield skill, and then put together a video talking about Albedo using footage where that keeps happening and still not notice and mention it.

Crystallize shields are weak in terms of damage absorbed, and the benefit of not being interrupted by tiny ticks would be extremely difficult to quantify. Trying to figure out how much average damage is gained through that then figuring it out for each team comp and each circumstance would be a ridiculous task. Intangible/QoL stuff is worth whatever it's worth to you and there's no math behind that.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

gandlethorpe posted:

What annoyed me most when I popped into Jinx and Tuna on Twitch was how they didn't seem to be place any value in shields as a means of allowing DPS to do its job, instead focusing more on potential damage ceiling. You can get enough damage to clear Floor 12 with lovely purples. The hard part is surviving one-shots and those goddamn icicle staggers while having unreliable stamina regen. I know they admitted it made it more comfortable for whales to clear or something, but shields aren't a luxury to get once you max out DPS dammit.
The best part is, this should be something they both understand and appreciate. Jinx is self-admittedly not great at mechanical execution in these games, and he cites that as one reason he likes to do math optimization instead. If you're not great at the game, having a shield ensures you aren't punished as badly for mistakes. Tuner is a Noelle main. One of the best things about Noelle is her ability to use shields to avoid staggers while ganged up on by multiple powerful enemies and turn the tables on them with her powerful AoE swings.

How the gently caress do they not appreciate the utility of shields?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The problem is that a 5k hp shield isn't that much of a big deal when you can instantly take 10k damage in abyss 10 from an anemoboxer ragdolling you.

Wait actually maybe it is big? Shields give you stagger resistance so they are probably a big reduction in unavoidable stunlock damage.
Yes, that's exactly it. You might not block all the damage, especially with Crystallize shields, but not getting staggered or stunlocked is huge. Albedo makes it very, very difficult to get stunlocked, and it takes basically no effort on his part (or the player's) to contribute that. It isn't perfect and it doesn't make you invincible (though post-buff Zhongli might) but it's still pretty nice and it does matter.

Mailer posted:

Crystallize shields are weak in terms of damage absorbed, and the benefit of not being interrupted by tiny ticks would be extremely difficult to quantify. Trying to figure out how much average damage is gained through that then figuring it out for each team comp and each circumstance would be a ridiculous task. Intangible/QoL stuff is worth whatever it's worth to you and there's no math behind that.
It's not really fair to call that subjective and it's intellectually dishonest for him to not even mention it.

Also Albedo is in a unique position where he buffs his own Crystallize shields without needing to invest stats in doing so and he produces a high volume of them. One Crystallize shield is weak, but being able to snag one every 2s means they're somewhat disposable.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Hazdoc posted:

fischl has and always will dumpster oceanid

I was running fish/Diluc/jean/diona. Level 91 is a high number and lol fish got eaten inside of Oz I have no idea how that happens sometimes.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I can say that slapping Albedo into my teams definitely upped everyone's survivability a very noticeable amount. The mass of crystallize shields has kept my carries pretty cozy from damage. I've mostly been running Dragonspine at WL6, Abyss may be another story entirely.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Why would someone who admits at being bad at mechanical execution place so much emphasis on frame canceling :thunk:

Also, as a Serpent Spine acolyte, all shields are awesome. Please add Serpent Spine equivalents for the other weapons, miHoYo.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Oceanid has two main factors for difficulty IMO

# 1 is that some of the summons are just "lmao get hosed melee users". You can barely hurt the dive-bombing hawks without a ranged character, and if you try to melee the bubble-spewing crabs or the ducks that summon water vortices around themselves you'll take tons of unavoidable damage.
# 2 is that it just does a lot of damage in general. A lot of projectile-shooting enemies spawn in threes, and failing to dodge means you can take like 15k+ damage from getting hit by 3 at once and get instagibbed. Even if you have a good ranged team this still makes it tough.

gandlethorpe posted:

Why would someone who admits at being bad at mechanical execution place so much emphasis on frame canceling :thunk:

Also, as a Serpent Spine acolyte, all shields are awesome. Please add Serpent Spine equivalents for the other weapons, miHoYo.

He specifically covered that in his video about animation cancelling on Klee, like "this method is optimal dps with perfect timing but that's unreasonable and I can't do it effectively anyway, so you can use this other lower-dps but easier-to-execute thing instead"
I don't have a Klee so I don't remember the differences or the exact moves or whatever though.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 31, 2020

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

gandlethorpe posted:

This is also super fair. Serpent Spine is an incredibly powerful option that is actually accessible to players at minimal cost and using shields is very nice to keep it from dropping stacks. Especially nice for someone like Diluc who can proc fire shields that will prevent him losing stacks to brushfires, not that this is an issue in Abyss or anything but it speaks to how environmental and chip damage can lower SS output and there exists a very simple fix for it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

gandlethorpe posted:

Honestly, probably because he can't do it consistently, so he's only looking at the spreadsheet of potential and feeling like he's lagging behind.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Nakar posted:

It's not really fair to call that subjective and it's intellectually dishonest for him to not even mention it.

What would be the objective measurement of it? He's said quite a few times that not having the kind of reactions other elements do is a balancing factor for Geo having shields. You could probably shoot him a testing methodology and get an entire video on the subject, especially since Albedo is a hot topic being the current banner.

(I personally disagree that it does enough to balance, but I'm happy to be proven wrong and have future Geo pulls be good in my teams.)

Edit:

Nakar posted:

not that this is an issue in Abyss or anything

I assume any time we start talking about numbers we're talking about abyss. Domains can have special teams to smash them and you can eat your way through the overworld stuff while swapping people around to bust fatui shields or pick flowers or step on top of constructs or whatever. If we're tiering for overworld performance then Zhong Li/Diluc/Childe are S tier, Kaeya is A, and everyone else is F. :v:

Mailer fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 31, 2020

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Shields need a UI indicator and grabbing multiple shield crystals need any degree of stacking greater than zero. Shields are definitely useful but they're one of the jankiest and least fun feeling mechanics right now.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah, shields being so un-user-friendly while being pushed on several new characters and weapons in a row is a big wtf to me.

Oh, and happy birthday Zhongli, you old himbo :shobon:

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Ah nice, the new event is running in multiplayer mode, even if you do it solo. Meaning that opening a menu does not pause the game and you absolutely will die while trying to eat something. Guess they expect us to all have the food dispenser item from the reputation quests. It also is five times as hard as the events before it, so bring a lot of fried eggs.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Is it like the previous event where you can kill multiplayer mode before starting the thing?

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Mailer posted:

Is it like the previous event where you can kill multiplayer mode before starting the thing?

No, it seems like returning to single player also stops the event this time.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The argument against shields is in high level abyss (the only content that really needs performance to be on the high end) the shields can maybe eat a hit. The real problem with Geo in that scenario is the fact they don't break a fatui shield which means your comp gets pressed even harder.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

You take that disadvantage when you bring Anemo too, except for those niche scenarios where you can swirl the right counter-element off the environment. There aren't really any chambers where you need more than two specific elements anyway, and Geo does have the minor advantage of dealing with Geo shields without a claymore.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

True but usually you're bringing anemo for venti (most broken unit in the game) Sucrose (pretty close) or jean (debuff cleanser/healer) and Any Anemo is gonna be bringing VV which isn't a small DPS boost

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

TheFluff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLCYGLmzgWc

wow they made a fight tailor made for amber

I'm excited to see Enviosity and his level 90 Amber have a breeze with this content.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

yo what the christ is this boss

lol that video has the flower have a weakpoint. mine definitely did loving not!

okay retried and it was there and one phased, holy poo poo that first attempt was a nightmare.

kater fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 31, 2020

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The flower should basically act like normal after you break the shield (if you don't 1 phase it it'll start doing roomwide aoes you use the bubbles to stop)

There were no bites on co op on eu at my world level so I just ground them all out solo.

Don't forget one of the challenges is to hit it with 10 scarlet agate boosted attacks on one fight

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

gandlethorpe posted:

Their philosophy is "cheap deeps" which is to say what is the cheapest and efficient way for new/F2P/low-spending players to clear Floor 12 in the quickest way possible, and as time moves, build their teams on the quickest road to get all of the stars. Their conclusion is that these players should prioritize upping their damage before getting shields or focus on survivability. As these players get up to speed, they should prioritize building damage since most chambers have timers, and having enough damage in the first place is the prerequisite you have to clear before you focus on other priorities that require resin. The one-shots and staggers can be addressed with restarting an abyss run which costs no resin, and they have recommended characters that can clear the domain's debuff over having shields.

Of course, your suggestion is that shields are not a luxury, and with our current characters, fewer than half can generate shields on their own. So while every character can do damage to some degree especially with the right artifacts, not every character can generate a shield. That is a valid long-term argument, but Jinx and Tuna suggest DPS since that is the fastest path to clearing the abyss; they say it's fine to have shields when you can output the DPS, but for players who are limited in the number of wishes they can have, Jinx and Tuna suggested not to spend on Zhongli since his F2P/low-cost builds were not efficient for clearing the abyss. The opportunity cost and cost-effectiveness are the economic considerations they have in mind.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Don't forget one of the challenges is to hit it with 10 scarlet agate boosted attacks on one fight

Have you gotten this? I can't tell when hitting it actually counts. I went ahead and sat through three phases and hit it 20 times and did not get credit.

there's been an update, hopefully fixes some of this stuff. also it gets co-op going.

okay yeah update fixed it easy peasy. wheres some bug primogems!

kater fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 31, 2020

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
I just had the the hitbox of the weak point at the root spawn inside the vine. Only thing that could touch it was the bears fire breath, this fight seems to have some issues.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
And this is why I didn’t raise my world level to 6 yet. Really glad I waited. drat that’s a tough boss

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Oh boy, just found out you can process chilled meat into raw meat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Amber lets you break the corolla during the phase where you're hiding in the shield so she is definitely the answer here. I think the window you have to get the shield up is super short/inconsistent sometimes though.... we're going to hear a lot of complaints about this one.

EDIT: Lack of pausing in challenge mode + the dragonspine mechanic is not such a good combo...

No Wave fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 31, 2020

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

This poo poo is straight up hosed. Putting aside that I think this new boss is overturned and not very fun to fight, its loving buggy too. I just tried and attempt wherein I simply could not to damage. I was trying to kill slimes for the cystals, but nothing was happening.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Stood inside the shield and had the ice AoE tear me apart, very cool.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I died a lot but you can figure out a sequence that makes the fight play out the same way every time and finish it in under two minutes if you can two cycle him. Still not really a fan of this thing's design, the corolla is so tanky and moves from his face to his body with full health most of the time unless you brought amber and cheese it. This seems like the kind of boss I would never ever want to do in co-op so I question the choice of it a bit.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

No Wave posted:

I died a lot but you can figure out a sequence that makes the fight play out the same way every time and finish it in under two minutes if you can two cycle him. Still not really a fan of this thing's design, the corolla is so tanky and moves from his face to his body with full health most of the time unless you brought amber and cheese it. This seems like the kind of boss I would never ever want to do in co-op so I question the choice of it a bit.

Yeah, after pausing to take a breath and put in Amber I can reliably two-cycle it but it's still not very well done.

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
You can BTW skip 2 of three AoE phases by DPSing down the corolla weakspot.

I'd suggest just bunkering in bubble for first one, don't know if its possible to stun him before that triggers.

I consistently can stun him with 2 barrages of Klee E and 2 charged attacks. (WL 6)

Also, when he does 3rd slam between AoEs, you have plenty of time to smack him with 2 of the crystals he spawns before running to bubble, just make sure to hit corolla, not main body.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Yeah, I like that you can go in and smack its weak spot with scarlet crystals to end the phase where you have to bunker down quicker. If you aren't just running Amber, anyway!

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...

No Wave posted:

Amber lets you break the corolla during the phase where you're hiding in the shield so she is definitely the answer here. I think the window you have to get the shield up is super short/inconsistent sometimes though.... we're going to hear a lot of complaints about this one.

EDIT: Lack of pausing in challenge mode + the dragonspine mechanic is not such a good combo...

Two bennets and a kequing meant that my team didn't ever let it get back up after the first knockdown phase. Pure DPS > Needing Amber to speed things up later :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This boss is a bitch, but once you get into a groove with a good team, it's fairly easy. Good healers are absolutely mandatory.

Do we know what the crowns do yet?