Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Today’s X-Men has a really interesting ending, great swerve I didn’t see coming. Hickman is just so good at producing these high concepts and getting tons of story possibilities out of them, there is enough here for years.

Wolverine, though, was just ok and kind of boring tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I read today's X-Men and my feelings can be summarized in one panel.

Indeed. The whole affair was not even necessary as a setup for yet another new status quo, one of uninteresting new characters being at war with Krakoa for dominion on Earth and ruining whatever masterplan Hickman's Moira had.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This is a pretty surface level read, but it's easy to read Arakoan mutants as some kind of reserve fighting force for when the X-Men get around to dealing with the existential threat posed by machine intelligence, since that is the ultimate endgame for Moira and the most looming of all threats to mutantkind's continued long-term existence. Not that I don't feel X of Swords was a whole lot of faffing around for not a lot of gain

The X-Men as an elected body sounds like fun though

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i thought x of swords was fun

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Saoshyant posted:

I read today's X-Men and my feelings can be summarized in one panel.

I did like Doug's response to that question.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

howe_sam posted:

I did like Doug's response to that question.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
One thing X of Swords did is create a power vacuum on the council and definitely set up for a future where apocalypse's return will feel triumphant.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

This is a pretty surface level read, but it's easy to read Arakoan mutants as some kind of reserve fighting force for when the X-Men get around to dealing with the existential threat posed by machine intelligence, since that is the ultimate endgame for Moira and the most looming of all threats to mutantkind's continued long-term existence. Not that I don't feel X of Swords was a whole lot of faffing around for not a lot of gain

that is what they should be. instead, all the mutants will fight each other because this is x-men.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
correct amounts of Doug, but there was not enough Bei

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Next issue is the one where we find out what the gently caress happened to the better Wolverine, right?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yeah, Laura comes back next issue.

Really hoping my shop is open tomorrow because I just caught up on the other post Swords of X books (SWORD was really interesting), and I’m excited to see what Hickman is up to.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I appreciated the little detail in SWORD of Ewing calling out that Alpha Flight is now under Henry Gyrich... because that happened in Hulk. (And if you're not reading Hulk, a- What the gently caress is wrong with you and b- Gyrich has already royally screwed the pooch over there)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

I appreciated the little detail in SWORD of Ewing calling out that Alpha Flight is now under Henry Gyrich... because that happened in Hulk. (And if you're not reading Hulk, a- What the gently caress is wrong with you and b- Gyrich has already royally screwed the pooch over there)

Peter Corbeau got a call out in SWORD didn't he? What's he been up to lately? Now that Moira is a mutant he's probably the coolest human that's mostly associated with X-books

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't Alpha Flight's whole thing being Canadian? And isn't Henry Gyrich's whole thing being a turbo American Neo-Con? How the hell did this happen?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

OnimaruXLR posted:

I hope they let fans vote so I can finally have my team of Doop, and only Doop

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Isn't Alpha Flight's whole thing being Canadian? And isn't Henry Gyrich's whole thing being a turbo American Neo-Con? How the hell did this happen?
There was a recent version of the team led by Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers, that included Abigail Brand. I didn't read it, but its a space themed team that has multiple countries (and aliens) overseeing it to protect earth from aliens. After being in Civil War II I think they were kind of on the wrong side, and much easier to associate with Gyrich.

Very excited to see what is happening in the vault. It is the X-men plot point I am the most interested in currently, and a very interesting team.

edit:

Open Marriage Night posted:

Yeah, Laura comes back next issue.
I don't think is till February/issue 18. Jan's issue 17 has Storm/Jean/Scott helping the Shi'ar.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 31, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fritzler posted:

Very excited to see what is happening in the vault. It is the X-men plot point I am the most interested in currently, and a very interesting team.

edit:

I don't think is till February/issue 18. Jan's issue 17 has Storm/Jean/Scott helping the Shi'ar.

Shoot, though I like Hickman's Scott and Jean and I always like Storm.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's going to be really funny when warren gets more votes than hank.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Reposting this again:

I can't really make out any of the silhouettes for the new X-Men team. Though it might be misdirection anyway.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I haven’t read a comic book from this century, but that really looks like Grant Morrison with purple lightning coming out of their eyes and mouth up in the top center there.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 31, 2020

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Alpha Flight was retooled by Ewing and whoever was writing Captain Marvel at the time (Stahl?) to basically be what SWORD used to be (including Brand being second in command, which she mentions in the new SWORD), with some of the OG Canadian characters like Puck and Sasquatch, and backed by the UN, but mostly the US, Canada and Wakanda, it seemed. They've been appearing in Ewing's Hulk run with a mandate to hunt gamma mutates as 'Gamma Flight' and most recently resulted in Gyrich being a massive gently caress-up by letting Joe Fixit escape their space station by shooting out a window and literally cannonballing to Earth.

There was some interesting stuff with them in Captain Marvel and Ewing's Ultimates.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I haven’t read a comic book from this century, but that really looks like Grant Morrison with purple lightning coming out of their eyes and mouth up in the top center there.

That looks like one of Morrison's creations from New X-Men (2001-2004): Quentin Quire.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 31, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Though it might be misdirection anyway.

Promo stuff made it look like Magneto and I think a few others that didn't would be a big part of X of Swords.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gaz-L posted:

Henry Peter Gyrich's continued employment by the US government is the single most salient sociopolitical criticism in superhero comics

Even Lex Luthor eventually got removed from office after being elected president.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"if we fire him we're saying we made a mistake to hire him. Just find some harmless little project for him to lead. alpha flight? That's Canadian right? Perfect."

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'm not taking the L, Emma. Thanks.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
That face is super young so it'd have to be a Cuckoo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Beerdeer posted:

That face is super young so it'd have to be a Cuckoo.

Isn't there only one left?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm months behind so sure.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't there only one left?

No, they're all back, even the one who was a crazy psychic vampire ghost.

They're also all dating Cable, but consecutively and not concurrently, so it's not weird or anything.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

And they’re all dating Cable.

It’s still amazing that young Cable has been such a breakout hit character in this era of X-Men.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s still amazing that young Cable has been such a breakout hit character in this era of X-Men.
It's because they accidentally back-engineered him into the perfect foil character. He is simultaneously a genuinely impressive too-cool-for-school been-there-done-that time traveling wunderkind and a blithering moron who is capable of being dunked on constantly, depending on the situation, which means he plays well with literally every single other X-man, at a time when there are a million x-books all swapping characters for him to play off of.

He's literally a likeable, popular Quentin Quire. It's amazing.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 31, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quentin Quire owns, though, unlike Kid Cable.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, it owns to see Quire being killed in so many creative new ways.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, it owns to see Quire being killed in so many creative new ways.

:agreed:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Young Cable rules. I just wish they would give him a different haircut.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Quentin Quire owns, though, unlike Kid Cable.

Quire does own but still has a lot of lingering baggage from his initial, fascist characterization. Kid Cable doesn't have that baggage which gives him an advantage, but they're both good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

They’re both good mohawk boys.

Another great thing about young Cable is his relationship with Cyclops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/aperiplatypus/status/1344677806198976519