Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

I was hoping for a video on PJ because unlike Spider-man it hasn't been done to death; though my sister both being a giant fan of PJ and musicals actually went up to see it off Broadway and had the CD to play; it's decent. I'm also a big PJ fan and in a more just world Rick Riordan would be richer and seen as a much better JK Rowling both in person and content.

IIRC Amazon is rebooting Percy Jackson as a TV series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

DoctorWhat posted:

Overwatch is a first-person MOBA, not a competitive shioter.

The term MOBA bugs me because it could conceivably describe any online multiplayer game with violence, but means an extremely specific thing based on a Warcraft 3 custom map. Also, the “arena” part of MOBA conjures the image, for me, of a relatively small but open space, not a whole-rear end city dotted with fortresses, mercenary camps, and shops. It makes things less clear. :argh:

Just call them DOTAlikes. We already use Roguelike, Soulsbourne, and Doom clone.

Sorry, what were we talking about?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Isn't the "plot" of Overwatch just haphazardly repurposed leftovers from a cancelled MMO project?

No wonder it's so disjointed

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ninjewtsu posted:

The characters in overwatch were frequently just really obnoxious and also paper thin. Those voice lines got super grating in a way that the tf2 cast never did

Also the """plot""" was "Winston put up the bat signal to make all the former overwatch people get together again" and then a bunch of shorts of various characters seeing the bat signal/their backstory from before the bat signal and to this day I have no idea if they ever actually assembled at the bat signal

I'd like the know what happens when they all assemble and I don't even really remember why they're assembling anymore

Also they just sort of shrug their shoulders as to why you have villains and heroes working together to, I don't know, push a limo down Hollywood or whatever.

Wonder if they'll still keep Tracer's extremely obnoxious "Co' blimey, guv'nor u wot mate cheers!" 'Cockney' accent that would make even Dick Van Dyke embarrassed. Probably.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Are they still making Overwatch 2 as a single player game, or did that get canceled like 99.9% of Blizzard projects?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

Are they still making Overwatch 2 as a single player game, or did that get canceled like 99.9% of Blizzard projects?

Since they originally said that the multiplayer component would be the same across 1 and 2, at this point I'm just assuming that Overwatch 2 will be a way to get PS5 and XSX versions out there in a way that people will pay full price for.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
The only year-end review that matters:

Todd and Aaron's Game Awards 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

They obviously rushed out the announcement to distract from the Hong Kong stuff. I suspect it is years away.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

flatluigi posted:

three notes:
- it is unconfirmed as of right now if he's actually dead, though he did apparently post a suicide letter as part of a video that was taken down (also unconfirmed)

Confirmed now pretty much, by people who knew him.

I wouldn't read the note he put up on said video. It's around (as is par for the course YouTube takes down all content that falls under suicide notes immediately), but it's not pleasant.

Um...yeah, there's not much good to say here, just a terrible situation all around. I feel sorry for his family and for people who knew him.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
That's a shame about Apollo Legend. I liked his stuff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was so bad at Spy I couldn't even shoot people with the guns. I swear the aim reticule and where the bullet would actually go were on totally different planes.

Also, I know very little about game design aside from 'people don't look up' and 'use lit up paths to guide people to go down them' but even I was cringing looking at Overwatch because it was 6v6 every mode. With so little margin for error, everyone's gotta be on the ball to keep the game possible to win.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
Overwatch was a very bad game that I will always hold fondness for due to the fact that I once played a match where only my HUD and the level architecture loaded in so I was playing completely blind and somehow managed to play the best round I ever played of any game ever, single handedly reversing the team's fortune (I joined a friend mid-game).

However it is a game that seemed to desperately want to be any game other than itself, what with its intricate backstory, lore, seeming plot progression and complex character motivations... for a meaningless shooter. At least Apex Legends has its seasons which allow for an actual progression of light backstory.

Blizzard haven't made anything particularly good since Warcraft 3, and it saddens me to see a company that made Diablo 2 turn into such absolute poo poo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hattie Masters posted:

Overwatch was a very bad game that I will always hold fondness for due to the fact that I once played a match where only my HUD and the level architecture loaded in so I was playing completely blind and somehow managed to play the best round I ever played of any game ever, single handedly reversing the team's fortune (I joined a friend mid-game).

However it is a game that seemed to desperately want to be any game other than itself, what with its intricate backstory, lore, seeming plot progression and complex character motivations... for a meaningless shooter. At least Apex Legends has its seasons which allow for an actual progression of light backstory.

Blizzard haven't made anything particularly good since Warcraft 3, and it saddens me to see a company that made Diablo 2 turn into such absolute poo poo.

Good news, the company that made Diablo 2 was Blizzard North, which was shut down by Vivendi in 2005!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alaois posted:

Good news, the company that made Diablo 2 was Blizzard North, which was shut down by Vivendi in 2005!

Looking at screenshots of their Diablo 3 always makes me a little sad.

I did like a bunch of people who worked on 3 whining on Facebook about one of the Blizzard North guys criticizing 3.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My crowning moment in OW was doing the thing where you set D.Va's mech to blow up and shoot it straight into the sky so it comes down in group of people and I took out most of the opposing team. After that the bloom was off the rose.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I'm annoyed at Diablo for starting up the loot bonanza stuff in games where you find a hundred different swords with tiny stat differences and have to juggle piles of garbage in your inventory forever

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

I'm annoyed at Diablo for starting up the loot bonanza stuff in games where you find a hundred different swords with tiny stat differences and have to juggle piles of garbage in your inventory forever

Feels like that poo poo's everywhere these days :(. Even in Tales of Zestiria, a jrpg, where it feels even more out of place than it normally does.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bakeneko posted:

Feels like that poo poo's everywhere these days :(. Even in Tales of Zestiria, a jrpg, where it feels even more out of place than it normally does.

Not to worry, that game was poo poo for a million other reasons too.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The thing that killed TF2 for me was the decline of the dedicated server. I used to play on two really good, friendly servers with a cast of regulars that were both really good at the game and really fun to play with. The admins were also online very often and would kick assholes from the server. It was a great experience that Valve sabotaged and I haven't played the game since…

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Not to worry, that game was poo poo for a million other reasons too.

Berseria was great though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

As messy as the story was, Vesperia had the best art style IMO.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

Berseria was great though.

There's a lot going on in Berseria that seems almost like a callback (call forward?) to Zestiria.
I really think they were going to be much more connected before someone decided that Berseria would be a much stronger game if they just took an axe to all the Zestiria set up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jimbot posted:

I wholly agree with the personality stuff with Overwatch. It's also terrible because they're just surface-level archetypes. Blizzard has no backbone so the characters will never be anything but. You'd never know Tracer and Soldier 76 were gay because they hide the representation so much to allow for territories not progressive on those issues to censor it. Congrats, Blizzard. You have one thing a lot of people like - the cast of characters - but are too chickenshit to make them loud and proud. Capitalists gonna capitalist, though, so I guess that's nothing new really.

I think what Respawn should do is make another Titanfall but use the Apex characters in it. Titanfall 2 (the other TF2) is still one of my favorite competitive shooters. When I play it feels like I'm playing UT99 as a kid again. It also has AI enemies that help you contribute to the score if you're not able to keep up against human players. It not doing well is one of the industries biggest injustices.

isnt apex in the same universe but like a different part of the galaxy or something. idk wouldnt mind trying apex. also i burned out of overwatch after a while because the story takes itself way to seriously but never goes anywhere. meanwhile tf2 is funny and weird and has stories that do stuff sorta.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I loved Berseria but being a prequel to Zestiria kinda took the wind out of the game's sails in a way. It would've been a way better game if they had just made a clean break and completely severed the ties between the two.

At least the Zestiria anime was cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Antigravitas posted:

The thing that killed TF2 for me was the decline of the dedicated server. I used to play on two really good, friendly servers with a cast of regulars that were both really good at the game and really fun to play with. The admins were also online very often and would kick assholes from the server. It was a great experience that Valve sabotaged and I haven't played the game since…

I used to play on the FUG servers a lot. I think they're still around but nowhere near the crowd of regulars I used to drop with.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
good lord Ripley is adorable

https://twitch.tv/videos/852447043?t=18904s

cool baby! :3:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Schwarzwald posted:

There's a lot going on in Berseria that seems almost like a callback (call forward?) to Zestiria.
I really think they were going to be much more connected before someone decided that Berseria would be a much stronger game if they just took an axe to all the Zestiria set up.

Berseria is basically a game made to poo poo on Zesteria because Zesterias plot is weirdly hosed up and nihilistic. Berseria basically exists to say eh all that poo poo is bullshit

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Casey Finnigan posted:

you don't have to. you can just leave that stuff on the ground.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

VoidBurger posted:

Yeah, I started a new channel for any video essay things I do because I figured someone who found me via the video essay would be dismayed to see that my hundreds of other videos are Let's Plays and streams and not much video essay stuff. Less rude to say "Hey, I also have a gaming channel with thousands of hours of stuff that isn't this." and just link it than make people wade through tons of vids in the vague hope that one of them is similar to the content they originally came for.

Also: Hi, everyone.

Hey, VB.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

break in case the vote doesn't go your way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6bxB9vTToQ

This was really good. Thanks.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Is it fair to say that Overwatch was made with pro level play in mind first?

Because that can describe a lot of my major problems with the game.

Now that I think about it, TF2 had a level of chaos to its game play that is lacking from Overwatch. Overwatch just feels more sterilized somehow.

Errant Signal put it best. TF2 was more of a hangout game you can dip in and out of. Overwatch requires you have a group ready to go, otherwise your playing with randos and everything that entails.

My point is adding player rankings that can go up and down based on your w/l record was a massive, massive mistake.

As a guy that actually covered overwatch esports for his job for a few years, LMAO NO

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Noah Gervais has one last video for the very end of 2020 discussing the strange beast that is the Watch Dogs franchise, a review we probably never would have got if not for the year-long lockdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaI1BgNTy8k

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Marshal Radisic posted:

Noah Gervais has one last video for the very end of 2020 discussing the strange beast that is the Watch Dogs franchise, a review we probably never would have got if not for the year-long lockdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaI1BgNTy8k

nice. can't wait to watch. watchdogs is the IP of ubi with no real identity outside vague cyberpunk lite feel and mechanics. far cry is all about open world FPS with a hosed up weird villain and beautiful scenery, AC is scifi historical fiction with now rpg mechanics. clancy poo poo is clancy poo poo, etc.

1 could be a good game if they hadn't pulled back on making the character an "unlikable rear end in a top hat" instead of trying to do both ways which just made him an unlikable rear end in a top hat.

2 is fun and has cool ideas and i like the characters but its tone is all over the place but with better mechanics.

legion is basically a cool tech demo in london with weirdly good politics for an AAA game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3aK-EK5V2k&t=152s

Sideways loses his mind for an hour trying to understand what the hell Tom Hooper was thinking with his adaptation of Cats.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Groovelord Neato posted:

People getting way into the lore of online only multiplayer shooters (or say something like League) is so odd to me. I've played a ton of Apex Legends and I guess it has a deep storyline about all the characters and I know nothing about it outside of flavor lines the character say to each other.

It's certainly not bad for business because clearly there are people super into this stuff. Also keeps some writers employed.

It at least makes some sense as to why the Fortnite model (which I think Apex has tried to copy) works - Epic puts the effort (aka crunch and $$$$$) into tying everything together and keeping a dripfeed of new clues, easter eggs, reveals, whatever going the whole season. And a lot of that material directly feeds into the gameplay by changing the map, adding/removing weapons, new mechanics, etc. Plus you get an actual in-game event to cap off every season.

In Fortnite, you got to pilot a Tony Stark-enhanced battlebus to do a Death Star trench run on Galactus. In Overwatch, you read a comic out of game and then maybe Tracer got a voice line that indirectly references it.

RareAcumen posted:

I was so bad at Spy I couldn't even shoot people with the guns. I swear the aim reticule and where the bullet would actually go were on totally different planes.

There was definitely something out of whack between the reticle, the bullet tracers, and the actual accuracy of the revolvers. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was some kind of legacy jank from the earliest days of TF2, either back when Spy didn't even have a revolver or back when they rendered weapon stuff slightly differently.

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

spy revolver was hitscan meaning the tracers didnt mean anything and it just instantly either recorded a hit or miss, the first shot was perfectly accurate but the followups were randomly aimed until you waited a while so theres some annoying inherent inconsistency if you didnt know any of this :eng101:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i want to watch cats again.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3aK-EK5V2k&t=152s

Sideways loses his mind for an hour trying to understand what the hell Tom Hooper was thinking with his adaptation of Cats.

He goes absolutely loving insane in the last ten minutes there, this rules

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

i want to watch cats again.

I watched it three times in one week this month. It’s such a bewildering movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arist posted:

He goes absolutely loving insane in the last ten minutes there, this rules

I JUST SAVE YOU A COUPLE MILLION DOLLARS IN OVERHEAD, TOM.

Sideways losing it is the best thing I've seen this year (so far)

Also that video he referenced for the rehearsal portion of the video led me to this amazing thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS64pb0XnbI

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 1, 2021