Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

warsow posted:

Well you weren’t found guilty of the crime, but I’m going to ruin your career to feel vindicated.

It’s wild that it is institutionally easier to do this than to modify their PRD and force them to go up for orders sooner.

That’s exactly what I thought was going to happen but when I was told I was going back to my command my first thought was “wow, I’m hosed” and I was spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’ve heard from a guy who frequently does military defense council that this is basically standard procedure whenever a court martial doesn’t go the CO’s way in his experience which is pretty hosed.

Sorry to hear that.

S’all good. I heard after six months you can request an upgrade through the VA so hopefully I can get my honorable and have a chance back at my GI Bill. If not it’s not a big deal seeing as I still have all my other benefits.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
You also have the greatest benefit

Never ever having to do another loving midwatch

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Anita Dickinme posted:

S’all good. I heard after six months you can request an upgrade through the VA so hopefully I can get my honorable and have a chance back at my GI Bill. If not it’s not a big deal seeing as I still have all my other benefits.

Were you on your first enlistment?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Anita Dickinme posted:

Get a good military lawyer to consult for this and if there is any chance of winning, spending a few grand will more than pay for itself. I had an issue at my command last year where I got told I would be charged with failure to follow orders if I didn’t agree to testify against a friend and I paid a grand for a reasonably notorious lawyer in military circles to tell them to gently caress off and never heard from the legal department Chief doing the investigation or the command again. Petty commands aren’t going to gently caress with you if there is the slightest chance it’ll damage their own careers.

It’s a huge loving joke of a system, I remember every single point of contact I was provided for legal advice through the military rang to a disconnected number or random commands across the country.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 28, 2020

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DustyNuts posted:

Were you on your first enlistment?

I sure was. Hope that doesn’t affect anything.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Get a good military lawyer to consult for this and if there is any chance of winning, spending a few grand will more than pay for itself. I had an issue at my command last year where I got told I would be charged with failure to follow orders if I didn’t agree to testify against a friend and I paid a grand for a reasonably notorious lawyer in military circles to tell them to gently caress off and never heard from the legal department Chief doing the investigation or the command again. Petty commands aren’t going to gently caress with you if there is the slightest chance it’ll damage their own careers.

It’s a huge loving joke of a system, I remember every single point of contact I was provided for legal advice through the military rang to a disconnected number or random commands across the country.

I’m more than willing to spend money on a lawyer to get this settled. I went through the same process before too when I was getting denied my baby leave because I didn’t take it immediately when she was born even though the instruction states that it’s up to a year after the baby is born. The USS George Washington is just filled with the worst kind of people in charge. It even won the worst command award somewhere.

Quick e: Here we go.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Dodged the bullet again. :sweatdrop:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Anita Dickinme posted:

I’m more than willing to spend money on a lawyer to get this settled. I went through the same process before too when I was getting denied my baby leave because I didn’t take it immediately when she was born even though the instruction states that it’s up to a year after the baby is born. The USS George Washington is just filled with the worst kind of people in charge. It even won the worst command award somewhere.

I was thinking "That's a whole lot of hospitals" before realizing who wrote it.

loving lol on that whole thing, though. I'm surprised to see NSA Bahrain on the list, honestly.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Would love to see that bracket done on the Navy reserve homeport with NOSCs.

There are some terrible ones out there.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Anita Dickinme posted:

Unsurprised to see Mace on the list.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Geizkragen posted:

Would love to see that bracket done on the Navy reserve homeport with NOSCs.

There are some terrible ones out there.

There was a single NOSC that didn't seem terribly managed out of the 8 or so I dealt with in my 7-8 years in the reserve after active. Likewise, I think I've only dealt with a handful of good FTS Sailors and maybe only one or two CMCs that actually wanted to support reservists

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nick Soapdish posted:

There was a single NOSC that didn't seem terribly managed out of the 8 or so I dealt with in my 7-8 years in the reserve after active. Likewise, I think I've only dealt with a handful of good FTS Sailors and maybe only one or two CMCs that actually wanted to support reservists

Too bad you never got to meet me!

Alameda was so loving terrible 5 years ago. Kitsap is ok but mostly because I worked there for 4 months and got to know everyone and worked as a civilian in the same base to show up in person to get poo poo done.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Update from my old unit starting deployment - they've been in Okinawa 8 hours and a kid dropped acid, freaked out, kicked in a door and is currently handcuffed and in front of the MA barracks screaming in the rain

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sometimes it be like that

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

maffew buildings posted:

Update from my old unit starting deployment - they've been in Okinawa 8 hours and a kid dropped acid, freaked out, kicked in a door and is currently handcuffed and in front of the MA barracks screaming in the rain

Hes trying to outdo that marine speed run in okinawa

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

LingcodKilla posted:

Sometimes it be like that

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

AlternateNu posted:

I was thinking "That's a whole lot of hospitals" before realizing who wrote it.

loving lol on that whole thing, though. I'm surprised to see NSA Bahrain on the list, honestly.

Terrible Corpsman commands isn’t as bad as generalized Navy commands. I’m at a dogshit hospital but it’s absolutely nothing compared to how miserable deck seaman life was and how crooked my triad was on the ship.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

LingcodKilla posted:

Too bad you never got to meet me!

Alameda was so loving terrible 5 years ago. Kitsap is ok but mostly because I worked there for 4 months and got to know everyone and worked as a civilian in the same base to show up in person to get poo poo done.

Alameda gained some fame among NOSCs a few years ago for having their sailor of the year sexually assault women at the holiday party but the triad didn't do anything because "he's a good dude and it would mess up his career".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just got another shipmate who crossed over from E5 Marine to be a Navy reserve officer. Solid dude so far. I hope he shares some good stories of his service in peace time Hawaii.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

LingcodKilla posted:

Just got another shipmate who crossed over from E5 Marine to be a Navy reserve officer. Solid dude so far. I hope he shares some good stories of his service in peace time Hawaii.

Quiz him on what the best beach is. If he answers anything other than Lanikai he's sus. Also I hope Kbay sand bar boating parties are still a thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Make sure to share with him your mahu story.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Got a hankerin'

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Nice! posted:

Make sure to share with him your mahu story.

:butts:

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

M_Gargantua posted:

Quiz him on what the best beach is. If he answers anything other than Lanikai he's sus. Also I hope Kbay sand bar boating parties are still a thing.

Lanikai kinda sucks, Bellow's is where it's at, new cafe there is right on the water at the check in building.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Arione posted:

Lanikai kinda sucks, Bellow's is where it's at, new cafe there is right on the water at the check in building.

Yup. I spent 2 months there TDY in 2019 running an Air National Guard project. Even on its busiest days, the beach was never that crowded. It’s a semi-private beach for anyone with a .mil ID.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/chadgarland/status/1346095395856932865?s=20

https://twitter.com/chadgarland/status/1346095406355255296?s=20

I only spent a night at Lemonnier flying home from the ship a decade ago but seems like a lot of good work going on there with the Bees

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m not gonna feel so bad about making a few cables and doing inventory today.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, my mob ends this weekend, and I get to spend the coming few weeks rotting in Norfolk. Woooooooo.......

I boarded for my FMFWO pin today, at least.
Eight months here, and that's what I went for instead of my 2N1 because who cares about making O-5 ever. :v:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

So, my mob ends this weekend, and I get to spend the coming few weeks rotting in Norfolk. Woooooooo.......

I boarded for my FMFWO pin today, at least.
Eight months here, and that's what I went for instead of my 2N1 because who cares about making O-5 ever. :v:

Congrats on getting to the end of your mob. Hope you enjoy your time doing nothing in Norfolk getting paid.

At least you will have two shinies to wear on your uniform now - assuming you aren't prior E or lat transfer to IWC or w/e

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If I hadnt extended I would have been back to Norfolk at the same time.

Oh well 4 months to go.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
:mad:

https://www.rentonreporter.com/news/us-navy-punishes-suicidal-sailor-who-sought-mental-health-treatment/

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/chadgarland/status/1346095395856932865?s=20

https://twitter.com/chadgarland/status/1346095406355255296?s=20

I only spent a night at Lemonnier flying home from the ship a decade ago but seems like a lot of good work going on there with the Bees

I spent most of 2019 there. The sandbag project was goddamn ridiculous. They were trying to do all hands working parties, like E1-O5 from every tenant command.
Because it's the best use of a loving Lt Col staff officer to shovel sand in bags in case Iran gives the Houthis SCUDS to fire at loving Djibouti or whatever the justification was.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Because it's the best use of a loving Lt Col staff officer to shovel sand in bags

Sounds like the best use for them tbh

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Proust Malone posted:

Sounds like the best use for them tbh

Every marine a shovelman.

Susa
Apr 27, 2013
They command assigned our new psych tech to the urology clinic and my two chiefs have effectively done nothing about it for two month and we are massively undermanned, Part of me wants to get out but the other half naively things I can help this clown fiesta still.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Susa posted:

They command assigned our new psych tech to the urology clinic and my two chiefs have effectively done nothing about it for two month and we are massively undermanned, Part of me wants to get out but the other half naively things I can help this clown fiesta still.

Nah. Time to get out. You can only help if the command is willing to actually support your efforts. But it sounds like you're just sweeping the desert.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

:chiefsay: Who's ready for more sea pay?:chiefsay:
Carrier USS Nimitz Will Stay in Middle East After Threats from Iran

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Susa posted:

Help? drat they got your brain scrambled

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

It'll unironically standby the former as a Coast Guard Top Gun and the later as a fun and enjoyable Mad Max pastiche.

The CG makes constant fun of that rotor head poo poo. Even our helo junkies mock it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Melthir posted:

The CG makes constant fun of that rotor head poo poo. Even our helo junkies mock it.

The Navy got Tom Cruise, the Air Force got *Jason Gedrick*, and the Coast Guard got The Postman and Replacement Charlie Sheen.