Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Some of my favorite moments have been to lurk at the edges of firefights and then steal the backpack that some sweatlord dropped since he needs maximum efficiency for his prostreamer strats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Myself and two buddies are new to the game and so far we've learned customs fairly well. Dipped into woods to do a task at the usec camp and all died to landmines on the northwest edge. Terrifying and hilarious, game owns.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Myself and two buddies are new to the game and so far we've learned customs fairly well. Dipped into woods to do a task at the usec camp and all died to landmines on the northwest edge. Terrifying and hilarious, game owns.

If you want to stack some money up and finish your butt coin machine (top priority) I would learn Interchange next. Fun map, easy to avoid the spots where the gear lords rush, tons of loot. Plus, you can kill Killa! *disclaimer* Killa may kill you first

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
10 Raids since wipe. Not dead yet. Am I doing this wrong? Instructions unclear, escaped tarkov.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Your time will come, operator.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DrPop posted:

I have just learned that the bunkers on Woods are basically sensory deprivation chambers. You can barely hear anything happening outside or around them when you are inside. Was doing a duo just now and thankfully my buddy was keeping watch outside and heard someone come in while I was looting and was able to gank him as he walked full-speed into the entrance. Good to know!

does that mean theyve stopped them making noises like youre walking through the bushes on the surface when youre inside them too

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Stux posted:

does that mean theyve stopped them making noises like youre walking through the bushes on the surface when youre inside them too

I think so. Sample size of ZB-014, but: https://streamable.com/o8fth5

No bush noise when he came down, nor when I was inside.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Man I just want streets already.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

The moment the game starts matching based on skill, time played, gear level, or absolutely anything, you can stick a fork in it. The random anything-can-happen style of raids is what makes Tarkov stand out from everything else.

Yea there is also that, game definitely would lose the feel of not knowing what you're potentially up against.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
They ought to make a spinoff game with the tarkov weapon modding stuff and keep all the poo poo they cribbed from coutnerstrike and fortnight with the levitation-glide side strafe fighting, toss in some GamerScore and GearScore MatchMaker CompetitiveGamerStream stuff and then put tarkov back the way it used to be, get rid of the gamerfication, and let the two evolve separately.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
honestly just make a single player game in the engine with a spec ops theme + more mp5s and rogue spear mission planning and I swear to god I’ll never play another game again

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah a singleplayer version with a long storyline and better ai would be pretty great.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

hakimashou posted:

They ought to make a spinoff game with the tarkov weapon modding stuff and keep all the poo poo they cribbed from coutnerstrike and fortnight with the levitation-glide side strafe fighting, toss in some GamerScore and GearScore MatchMaker CompetitiveGamerStream stuff and then put tarkov back the way it used to be, get rid of the gamerfication, and let the two evolve separately.

Call of tarkov

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
I probably won't play online tarkov anymore. SPTarkov is too much fun and a much better experience for me. Just takes some tweaking and the ai isn't the best but it works.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Tarkov will have Arena mode eventually and I think that's gonna be loving COOL

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hakimashou posted:

yeah all that counter strike and fornite stuff in tarkov, its endemic really. sick of it... put it back to normal and hey, while youre at it remove the magic potions already

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Picked up this game a few days ago and I keep dying to 1-2 shots without having any idea who/what shot me from where. So i decided to check out some streamers to see how the pro's play and pick up some tips but all of them are either messing around in their stash or are talking about the game. Is that.. is that actually the game? Am I playing the game wrong?

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

lalaland posted:

Picked up this game a few days ago and I keep dying to 1-2 shots without having any idea who/what shot me from where. So i decided to check out some streamers to see how the pro's play and pick up some tips but all of them are either messing around in their stash or are talking about the game. Is that.. is that actually the game? Am I playing the game wrong?

Even when you do see streamers actually playing it's not how most people do (except for those with the best loadouts or in squads), as they're usually running around everywhere and gunning everything in sight down when the average person needs to play it much slower to survive.

The biggest thing that will help you live longer is just learning the maps as much as you can. Not just the layout, but the possible places to spawn, the high value loot, and quest spots to a lesser extent. Once you start to get that down you'll have an idea of what direction you should be looking, places to avoid/run to, and where other people might approach you from. Other than that, pay a lot of attention to how much sound your making and whether or not it's appropriate for the situation you're in. For example, you probably don't want to be sprinting everywhere unless you're running across somewhere that you don't have cover. If I'm approaching a building that I know people usually loot, I'll take a second and crouch-walk when I get close both so that I don't make noise and I can hear anyone who's walking around inside. This becomes a lot more apparent when you start buying and wearing headsets because of how much they amplify sound.

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
I really like the 'between the fence' extract on interchange. You can't bring a backpack but there is some great loot to be had in the hidden caches on the outskirts of the mall. I very rarely see players out there, and you can avoid scavs by enercom ramp if you want to but cutting through the parking garage on the eastern side.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

lalaland posted:

:siren: :siren: before we get any further - you should join the Discord and play with Goons. :siren: :siren:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Cage Kicker posted:

If you want to stack some money up and finish your butt coin machine (top priority) I would learn Interchange next. Fun map, easy to avoid the spots where the gear lords rush, tons of loot. Plus, you can kill Killa! *disclaimer* Killa may kill you first

Is that just for generic item runs? I’ve had good luck with Shoreline stash loops. I’ve have had multiple ones where I exfil with 1M+ worth of stuff, and it’s a quiet enough map (away from resort) that I just listen to podcasts while doing it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Cage Kicker posted:

Dream: We can watch players in the arena and put bets on who will win.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Mesadoram posted:

Dream: We can watch players in the arena and put bets on who will win.

Runescape has this and there is a depressing amount of people who get addicted to it and use RMT to buy more gold to bet with after they lose everything.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

i vomit kittens posted:

Runescape has this and there is a depressing amount of people who get addicted to it and use RMT to buy more gold to bet with after they lose everything.

That is loving horrifying.

I take my wish back.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

You can see this guy reconnect and ask their friend if they're looking at em right before the light leaves their eyes :) https://streamable.com/ggf62y

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Cage Kicker posted:

Apparently Nikita had a semi-drunk, semi-official chat with some Russian streamers a few hours ago where he discussed a few things, including Arena.

Arena is going to be a separate game. :v:

Also UN troops, Russian Regulars getting introduced as NPC factions. Also Russian Special Forces whose main goal is hunting down USEC players. UN Troops will apparently hunt Bears, but not with the same level of fervor as the Russian SFs.

The feature creep grows!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 31, 2020

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Apparently Nikita had a semi-drunk, semi-official chat with some Russian streamers a few hours ago where he discussed a few things, including Arena.

Arena is going to be a separate game. :v:

Also UN troops, Russian Regulars getting introduced as NPC factions. Also Russian Special Forces whose main goal is hunting down USEC players. UN Troops will apparently hunt Bears, but not with the same level of fervor as the Russian SFs.

The feature creep grows!

Did they say separate game or one of the money expansions they talked about? So do you need EfT base client to play Arena or can you just buy it for $20 with no EfT? Not that you probably know, just curious.

Also, the hunting feature sounds fun. I like the idea of patrols going around looking for the people they don't like, i'd just be worried about some crazy NPC aim with these guys.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Stuff that will prob never happen:
1. Open world
2. Whatever faction stuff was posted above

Stuff that will happen instead:
1. Increasingly more elaborate and obscure negative status effects
2. Well made map reworks and additions

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

In one of the English-language streams/casts Nikita did with a bunch of streamers a while back, Nikita pretty much distanced himself from saying the game would ever be open world. I think they've pretty much given up on that, thankfully.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

There's a 0% chance this game ever becomes open world but I think doing so would be a massive mistake. I much prefer the current loop of gearing up for a 20-45 minute match that you can go into with whatever objective you want to wandering around from one town to the next and hoping it hasn't been looted yet for 3 hours.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't want open world but I sure would like the ability to make additional mods - game modes, maps, content, etc.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
with absolutely no evidence, every streamer is hacking and using radar to set the pace of their " IM SO GOOD " stream. Otherwise you would just watch someone running around and getting 1 tapped every time.

Also everyone who kills me is hacking.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

MaxPowers posted:

with absolutely no evidence, every streamer is hacking and using radar to set the pace of their " IM SO GOOD " stream. Otherwise you would just watch someone running around and getting 1 tapped every time.

Also everyone who kills me is hacking.

there are people on reddit who genuinely believe that BSG gives streamers better spawns and loot RNG in order to make the game seem more exciting for potential buyers

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Adding a bunch of factional NPC enemies seems...like it would quickly become a lot.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004

i vomit kittens posted:

there are people on reddit who genuinely believe that BSG gives streamers better spawns and loot RNG in order to make the game seem more exciting for potential buyers

You dont have tarkov prime????

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
i deserve streamer loot. does this mean that i have to play the game?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

causticBeet posted:

Stuff that will prob never happen:
2. Whatever faction stuff was posted above
Why not? Seems rather easy to extend what's already in the game, the factions are just variables that govern which group aggros on what. Russian Special Forces hunting down certain bad karma players? That's just $raiders_rusf and a tagged&cursed $player.

Really hoping the karma system will help with the scav-on-scav violence; scav army needs to stand united, not fight itself.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Trying out all the new stuff in this patch is pretty hard. My last 8 deaths were all in a row, and all from people mysteriously knowing exactly where I was(and exactly where my head/eyes are) despite me trying to hide in dark corners and wait for a while to let people pass. I even tried to start rushing to the closest safe positions based on my spawns and people still know exactly where I and my head will be before I can even see them(I think either 2 or 3 of my deaths have been through cover). Wondering what I'm doing wrong. I've been trying to keep perfectly still, no shoe scraping or ADSing, but it's still match after match of getting head eyes'd without firing a single shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

New player here. I'm not looking for objective markers to be added or anything, but after only finding an extraction point once by accident, it would be nice if somewhere the game said "you can buy maps from a vendor" instead of me needing to google it (where the first result was someone on reddit asking how to find extraction points and immediately being called a dumbass). Just growing tired of the constant "need a wiki open at all times" design in every single game.

But I am happy the game runs very well so far because I had checked the game out on twitch and a bunch of people seemed to be playing it at like 20 fps for some reason