Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A large format 3d printer would let you knock out 'quick'* iterations of a new complete pan, but that's another tool/skills etc.

Good idea with the oil cap, yet another thing you need to live with these cars to have noticed.

*1mm nozzle, thick layers, low res etc...

I'm not suggesting a 3d printer would replace conventional machining at all, just another possible prototyping tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Funny you say that, I've got a friend who works for "big online retailer" in product dev - they ordered a straight up pallet sized 3d printer for a project. Scope changes made it obsolete for their use in ~6 months. He was out sick the day they tossed it in a dumpster......
But yes- I've considered building a larger format ~24x24 printer. Speed always was the issue when I was researching it two years ago. Something we can machine in ~30min with a $80 plate would take two days to print. When I've got cycles for it, I'll have to look back into it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can you prototype out of cheaper material?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

A local shop here has done some prototyping using blocks of delrin or abs in place of whatever metal they would be using. Can machine it largely the same way, is fairly inexpensive and is fast. They also have a 3d printer but I think they mostly use that for smaller pieces.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

the spyder posted:

It's a factory chassis brace, designed to allow the exhaust to clear. I'll have to remake it and incorporate a mount.

You just reminded me I don't have one because mine didn't clear my exhaust. poo poo.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Do you have a picture? I’m making a tube one. Not sure if it will fit your use case- but I could make two easily enough.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Small update. Ordered a dozen Rx-8 pickups. Machinist got the spacer made, but now I've got googlie eyes going on.

On the plus side the new plate will be here Wednesday, downside the tool changer broke on the new mill.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Tool changer is fixed, pan has been updated (again...), and we're back on schedule!

Full steam ahead!

We left the dick, there's no avoiding it

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

the spyder posted:

Tool changer is fixed, pan has been updated (again...), and we're back on schedule!

Full steam ahead!

We left the dick, there's no avoiding it

This is awesome!

So uh, would this work on a REW swapped in to a RX-8? Asking for a friend... :ninja:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Good question. I need to look at some of the install kits. I might be convinced to make one.

Sheet metal work has been sent out for quoting.

And this is what happens when you decided to "add another 100 inches/minute to the program" because, ya know, the tooling and mill can take it. Too bad the fixture/vise could not! Ripped the plate right out. Good thing it was test/scrap plate. Downside, -$160 tool.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'll bet that made a noise. Glad you're ok (I assume). I've seen the damage a setup failure can do to the inside of a machine and the adjacent wall. It's scary the amount of energy contained in a cutting operation.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My condolences for your spindle bearings and tooling, drat.

I hate it when I forget that g0 and g1 are not the same.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
In better news, I had a few hours spare due to an internet outage. Made up this mock up pan to test the design.

Perfect. I mean, I screwed up a few lines - but the proof of concept is done! Fits the subframe just how I had it in my head.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
That's a nice stack of dong plates.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Was the entire previous stack of dong plates scrap? :(

you have gone brave again going for another batch of 10 without a completed prototype.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

the spyder posted:

Do you have a picture? I’m making a tube one. Not sure if it will fit your use case- but I could make two easily enough.

Yeah if you can make one ill buy it, let me get under me car.

edit: might need one of those oil pans too, ehehe.

realistically I can drop the sub frame and support the motor from the shock towers and put it in, yeah??

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 17, 2021

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I should have added some previous context. We took a mock up engine to the machinist. This way he could verify all the measurements on the drawings. This is what we did for the 20b pan that turned out perfect (minus the subframe clearance which is on me). We re-drew the entire 13b pan due to bad measurements... Combined with my on car measurements for the sheetmetal we felt comfortable moving forwards. And even better, we figured out a method to salvage the previous plates by machining a recess for a laser cut plate that will fill in the mis-cuts.

Placeholder pics. Ignore my poorly cut/bent plates. I might make another one for fun. This week I'm working on quoting having a shop with a CNC brake and laser cutter produce the production pieces. Then my friends welding shop will TIG them up for us. ETA, 2 weeks.

And Aeka, yes - I just toss a pole jack on the trans and take the weight off the subframe. Unbolt, shift down, remove old pan, slide new pan in.

And given it's been unseasonably warm and sunny over here, I tried to drive my white FD. The costco/interstate battery gave up the ghost at 5.4yrs. Thankfully I had a replacement on hand and it solved the problem.

I still need to fix that color match on the bumper.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Final pan base mockup:

Still waiting for sheetmetal quotes - but that's my fault.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Very cool!

I haven't gotten under my car for the brace photo. lol. its been raining today when I planned on doing it and I cannot access my garage due to some remodeling in the house.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Boring oil pan stuff ahoy!

Standoffs are done. This places the oil pickup 0.300" from the bottom of the pan.

All the 2 rotor pans are ready for sheetmetal.

And as of today all the 3 rotor pans are ready for sheetmetal.

Monday we'll start test cutting the aluminum and take it over to the CNC bender.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

holy poo poo this is cool

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
right arm.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
And my pan base is finally finished. I'll see if I can pick it up and get it in the car today for mockup.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

the spyder posted:

And my pan base is finally finished. I'll see if I can pick it up and get it in the car today for mockup.

:perfect:

That is a properly chunky piece of metal. Did I miss why there are two rotor shaped cutouts instead of three? Or is this not for the 20B?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I went back and forth with Rob on this - he wanted to reduce the number of "slosh points" or openings in the top. Next batch I will reduce the rotor size and incorporate three. It just makes sense to me to have three.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
More progress.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Why does the dong need a house?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Nystral posted:

I'd be utterly baffled if I hadn't been following this saga for a while

not even a little sorry for that pun

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Donghouse™

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

the spyder posted:

Donghouse™

I SAID WHOSE HOUSE?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Nystral posted:

I'm dummy thicc and the sliding of my 40 weight keeps loving the bearings

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
A break from our regular scheduled programing:

We had a snow storm hit my region on the 11th. By the 12th our entire property had turned to one giant sheet of ice. We lost power that night and only late last night (21st) power was restored. The 140yr old trees that cover our 5 acres were badly damaged by the 1" plus of ice. This then caused damage to our vehicles, buildings, and belongings left outside. Insurance is involved. We've made it through the 10 days without power. The generator I bought after the fires saved our bacon. We've also made huge progress on the cleanup. I'll add details later, but I am worn out. I've never seen this bad of damage for a 48hr storm.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Geez, what a mess. Glad you all are OK

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Holy poo poo, man. That's rough. At least everyone's ok and I guess you're getting a new roof or three...

It took like ten plus years for the trees to come back after a tornado and freak 6 inch snowstorm while the leaves were still up. Hopefully your area will recover faster than that due to the extended growing season.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

drat. Sucks about everything but glad you're getting through it all. It appears that you never skipped a beat though and just kept on trucking right through.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Glad you made it out ok. It is crazy how similar your story and experience was to getting hit by the derecho only a lot colder.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

:eek: That's quite a mess, I'm glad you're all ok. That's a hell of a cleanup effort!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What an ordeal. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Who invited the Makita guy to the Stihl party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What an ordeal. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Who invited the Makita guy to the Stihl party?

I kid you not, it was the only chainsaw available in a 50 mile range. A friend works for a local wholesaler and had one left in stock, he ordered it for me and dropped it by. It's an amazing little saw and something I felt safe handing to my inexperienced helpers to trim with. 9/10, would recommend.