Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Booley posted:

On the other hand I've ordered lots of things from lots of other places that have gotten to me much faster than that. I think it's pretty fair to blame FLG.

It may be localized. Airbrush parts I ordered back in the fall, shipped via USPS, took more than a month to get from one part of Chicago to the airport. The rest of the delivery, including clearing customs, was very fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I live in San Diego, where Frontline is located, and have had orders from them take 2 months because they guy in charge of orders kept forgetting.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Frontline mentioned on their podcast that they’re buried under orders from Black Friday. They’ve got people fulfilling orders literally 24/7 but due to COVID they can only have a few people fulfilling at once. So they’re doing rotating shifts in the warehouse.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I walked into my LGS and impulsed bought an Indomitus and they still had one in stock. My initial goal was phishing for new comics

Still have the Necron half in reserve and I don't know if I want to start a Necron army or sell em and but more Outriders

If you want more outriders I'd definitely suggest snagging them off of eBay soon, the Indomitus ones are still cheap as hell but that won't last very long. You can still find the whole sprue of 3 for sub-$20 prices right now, but it's been creeping up towards $30 lately.

I'd also say hold off on the Necrons for now too - eBay is so saturated with them that you'd only be getting peanuts for them, and by the time you decide if you want to make another army / paint them up so you can have a way to introduce others to the game, they'll probably be worth quite a bit more anyway.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Outriders are in the elite edition box, if you're going to buy them first hand you may as well get that and sell/gift the excess.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 29, 2020

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Yeast posted:

Frontline mentioned on their podcast that they’re buried under orders from Black Friday. They’ve got people fulfilling orders literally 24/7 but due to COVID they can only have a few people fulfilling at once. So they’re doing rotating shifts in the warehouse.

I don't know why they would run such an aggressive sale if they weren't setup to handle it. I guess it's probably the people running the sale weren't really talking to the warehouse team and didn't think about how covid impacted their production.

I also got a much nicer e-mail back today compared to the first e-mail I got a few weeks ago when I asked. Sounds like they ran out of some materials for different sized mats.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Injuryprone posted:

I live in San Diego, where Frontline is located, and have had orders from them take 2 months because they guy in charge of orders kept forgetting.

I ordered one in october and this literally happened to me. I just emailed them about it and it should ship out soon.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If you want more outriders I'd definitely suggest snagging them off of eBay soon, the Indomitus ones are still cheap as hell but that won't last very long. You can still find the whole sprue of 3 for sub-$20 prices right now, but it's been creeping up towards $30 lately.

I'd also say hold off on the Necrons for now too - eBay is so saturated with them that you'd only be getting peanuts for them, and by the time you decide if you want to make another army / paint them up so you can have a way to introduce others to the game, they'll probably be worth quite a bit more anyway.

I've been trolling ebay and $30 is generally what I've seen. Sometimes I found some for a little less, but shipping charges bring it back up to 30 anyway

Eediot Jedi posted:

Outriders are in the elite edition box, if you're going to buy them first hand you may as well get that and sell/gift the excess.

Didn't think of that. Wonder how much I can sell Necron stuff for anyway

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Warriors (and the Scarabs that come with them) and Skorpekhs are bread and butter but they're also available in starter boxes. The rest are basically not worth shipping (in Canada anyway)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Eej posted:

Warriors (and the Scarabs that come with them) and Skorpekhs are bread and butter but they're also available in starter boxes. The rest are basically not worth shipping (in Canada anyway)

Yeah, everything other than warriors and skorpekhs are going for like $10 each, so you'll get aorund $7 after shipping costs. Once the box goes out of production and supply dries up those prices go up quite a bit but I dunno how long that's gonna take since they're still doing the print-on-demand ones.

The Space Marine stuff is more of an exception because Bladeguards and Eliminators are both staple units of competitive lists and also don't have their own kits yet, but even then chaplain / ancient / captain / lieutenant are all going for $10 too.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
But the primaries chaplain and Captain are pretty bad. Foot sloggers when you can have better alternatives. Also the justicar and the ancient aren't really in any competitive lists.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Captain and Lieutenant are both technically Bladeguard so if you have extra you can always just "convert" them into Bladeguard Vets

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I quite like the footslogging indomitus captain with space wolves. I don't really intend to punch on until turn 2-3 and get too tempted to throw fast units at my opponent, so having the guy move up in the throng tends to work out for me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Bladeguard captain and lieutenant are both very good models and surprisingly durable melee threats. I like them as a counterpunch/buff circle for close up shooting.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

You can also easily convert the chaplain + an outrider into a bike chaplain and the captain / lieutenant / ancient into regular bladeguards, which is what I'm doing. Makes the already crazy value of Indomitus even more ridiculous.

Gonna try to do something more ambitious with the Justiciar though. Settled on Black Templars so maybe I'll try to turn him into Helbrecht or an Emperor's Champion.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 30, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MRLOLAST posted:

But the primaries chaplain and Captain are pretty bad. Foot sloggers when you can have better alternatives. Also the justicar and the ancient aren't really in any competitive lists.

The Judiciar can get the rites of war WLT (obsec bubble) which is pretty nice on a model that forces something to fight last. Everything else, yeah not that great but super cool looking.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I've actually been thinking of converting some AoS Stormcast Eternals into Bladeguard, with Primaris helmet replacements and marine power backpacks.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Any recommendations for what units to get to complement an Indomitus boxed set? I'm painting them as White Scars and was thinking lots of bikes, but I want to be sure to utilize what models I currently have from the Indomitus set.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verisimilidude posted:

Any recommendations for what units to get to complement an Indomitus boxed set? I'm painting them as White Scars and was thinking lots of bikes, but I want to be sure to utilize what models I currently have from the Indomitus set.

More bikes, infiltrators, eradicators.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Over my time collecting, I've accumulated a ton of marine units in box sets that I didn't want or weren't necessarily the best for my Imperial Fists. Turns out it's an army of stuff I didn't want to paint yellow for a gun-line army

The Cataphractii are fully magnetized with all arm options because I'm a crazy person

Haven't decided what I'm gonna run them as, the leader is currently Iron Knights, but I'm gonna wait until I really feel excited about something, a color scheme, a chapter, whatever it may be

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 30, 2020

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Verisimilidude posted:

The obvious one is Kor'sarro Khan, who shows up in basically every competitive 9th ed list I've seen. Other popular units are bike captains (a lot of lists run 2), a bunch of outriders and / or attack bikes, some Incursors, and either Eradicators or the slightly less popular option of grav Devastators.

Picking up Khan, a couple more cheap outrider sprues on ebay (enough to put together 2 units and convert a couple captains if you want to go the cheap route and don't mind some light converting) and a box of Incursors would give you a really solid start since most lists are using the bladeguard vets and eradicators from Indomitus already, and a couple lists that put up good numbers at tourneys run a footslogging chaplain too.

edit: Here's a couple tournament lists for reference:

https://bloodofkittens.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/John-Lennon-1st-Place-Iron-Halo-2020-Space-Marines-White-Scars.pdf
https://bloodofkittens.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Baz-Croucher-2nd-Place-Kent-Wargames-GT-2000-Space-Marines-%E2%80%93-White-Scars.pdf

There's tons of room to play around (especially if you're not trying to min-max everything for competitive reasons) but it gives you an idea of what units play into White Scars' strengths.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 30, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TheBigAristotle posted:

Over my time collecting, I've accumulated a ton of marine units in box sets that I didn't want or weren't necessarily the best for my Imperial Fists. Turns out it's an army of stuff I didn't want to paint yellow for a gun-line army

The Cataphractii are fully magnetized with all arm options because I'm a crazy person

Haven't decided what I'm gonna run them as, the leader is currently Iron Knights, but I'm gonna wait until I really feel excited about something, a color scheme, a chapter, whatever it may be

That's pretty much an entire white scars army right there. drat son.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Verisimilidude posted:

Also keep an eye out for those Invader ATVs, whenever those become available. They're really good but sell out quick.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Do White Scars use Claw and Board Vanguard Vets or is that just for plebian chapters that can't turn any Assault Intercessor squad into temporary Repentia

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I found an entire ravenwing army from my teens in a box at my mum's I should get them out for a roll. Also got ten deathwing terminators in there too.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Eej posted:

Do White Scars use Claw and Board Vanguard Vets or is that just for plebian chapters that can't turn any Assault Intercessor squad into temporary Repentia

I was under the impression that Claws were the go to weapon for Scars loadouts nowadays, so much that their VanVats don't need to bother with Hammers anymore . That extra damage from their super doctrine combined with the wound re-rolls let's them shred just about anything they make contact with.

I think there was a recent tournament list that popped on Goonhammer that had a pair of 2 man Company Vet squads that ran around doing secondaries early, then once turn 3 rolled around they could reasonably one turn any 5 man marine squad that wandered too close.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TheBigAristotle posted:

Headless horsemen.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

TheBigAristotle posted:

I mean if you enjoy painting yellow so much, I'm sure you'll love white.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

Headless horsemen.

Yeah, I'm undecided on a color direction, but I'm leaning towards Iron Knights and doing a Brettonians-style with the outriders, giving them like quartered paintjobs and fantasy transfers or something if those exist

Snail Information posted:

I mean if you enjoy painting yellow so much, I'm sure you'll love white.

Ha, see above with Iron Knights, could just be blue steel and black helmets, simples (probably not, but it won't be a bad-coverage color)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TheBigAristotle posted:

Yeah, I'm undecided on a color direction, but I'm leaning towards Iron Knights and doing a Brettonians-style with the outriders, giving them like quartered paintjobs and fantasy transfers or something if those exist

Ha, see above with Iron Knights, could just be blue steel and black helmets, simples (probably not, but it won't be a bad-coverage color)

Honestly that seems like a really quick scheme if you have an airbrush. Base a dark metal color like VMC jet exhaust, followed by blue ink sprayed from above. Then just go in with a regular brush for the fancy details.

That could be really sick looking too

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Finally finished my Terminator Captain. Next is one more unit and finishing my display board for a local competition!

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Should I keep the base color as purple?

I wanted initially to go like star wars droid with bleached bone and gun metal with some orange. But then I added the tesserac green and somhow ended with purple bases. I like color and want color but is it to much color?

https://imgur.com/gallery/ojS8ndO

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
fwiw I stopped by my local hobby store yesterday and the lady said they'd just gotten in Vallejo Metal Colours again and some of the bottles say New Formulation on the side so you can look forward to that when it comes in for you guys

e: woops meant to put this in the miniature painting thread but useful here anyway

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MRLOLAST posted:

I wanted initially to go like star wars droid with bleached bone and gun metal with some orange. But then I added the tesserac green and somhow ended with purple bases. I like color and want color but is it to much color?

I think that scheme is pretty rad, the purple provides a nice contrast and also purple space sand is cool

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

MRLOLAST posted:

Transparent paints over metallics can have some wild results. In this case, I'd say happy accident. It looks good.

Eej posted:

fwiw I stopped by my local hobby store yesterday and the lady said they'd just gotten in Vallejo Metal Colours again and some of the bottles say New Formulation on the side so you can look forward to that when it comes in for you guys

e: woops meant to put this in the miniature painting thread but useful here anyway

Fingers crossed that it's not much of a change. I bought a couple of extra bottles of Duraluminium in the fall because they're so lovely to use. But because they're so lovely to use, those won't last long.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

SpaceViking posted:

Finally finished my Terminator Captain. Next is one more unit and finishing my display board for a local competition!

I like this dude. He’s got a good lens and I’m a fan of the quartered color scheme.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Honestly that seems like a really quick scheme if you have an airbrush. Base a dark metal color like VMC jet exhaust, followed by blue ink sprayed from above. Then just go in with a regular brush for the fancy details.

That could be really sick looking too

I'm going to wait until I really feel the love for whatever I end up going with. Definitely gonna do some test models, still got like 30 pushfit tacticals lying around

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

After roughly two decades away from 40K, I've been pulled back in by the combination of YT channels, a new edition, and seeing everyone's glorious painted minis.

So here, have my first 40K minis in a long time, some IW Chaos Culstists.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

MRLOLAST posted:

I think the current purple is too pastel and doesn't mesh well with your silver lads. You've got this great green with a lot of yellow in it, you've got a good orange going on the shoulders. I think you can totally keep the purple, but imo it might look best if you use a dark red tinted purple since it might unify all that warmth you have going on. It might make that green pop even more too.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Crosspost:
I worked on UR-025.
Took about 3 hours in total between the priming, airbrushing, details, testors dull coating, etc.
Doing a direct link because no photos ever tag properly in the awful app for me for some reason:
https://imgur.com/a/GaAdZo9

Sucks there's no reason to use him in game :(

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 1, 2021