Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Previously I assumed that the pregnant woman protagonist of Disco Elysium 2 would be Dora, but now I think that it would be Klassje. Although, I assume that was just idle speculation and we'll never find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

DalaranJ posted:

Previously I assumed that the pregnant woman protagonist of Disco Elysium 2 would be Dora, but now I think that it would be Klassje. Although, I assume that was just idle speculation and we'll never find out.

Also a pregnant protagonist IIRC was very much a writer/dev going "Yeah, it'd be cool to do this!" not "This is my plan."

EDIT : Also, also while I'm not opposed to more Elysium based adventures, I'd also hate for ZA/UM to be trapped by it instead of doing whatever crazy story their hearts lead them to.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I, for one, assumed the pregnant protagonist would be someone completely unrelated in the same world.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Any characters from Disco Elysium aren't the blank slate you'd need to make a game like Disco Elysium work.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah I'd rather see new characters and a new location than a direct sequel to the story in DE1. Bring in one or two cameos and some indirect references to the first game, but otherwise I'd rather get a relatively clean slate.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
https://twitter.com/studiozaum/status/1344317224174161920?s=21

Mac update should be out soon that fixes the crashes.

I actually did end up installing Boot Camp+Windows 10, but for Umurangi Generations and Noita.

If y’all haven’t play UG you should. You can go through the whole thing & DLC in a long afternoon and evening if you’re quick (though a lot of the fun is just taking your time exploring the levels). It’s sort of like Pokémon snap but in a vaguely Cyberpunk/Jet Set Radio/popular-anime-from-the-mid-90s-but-anything-more-than-that-is-spoilers setting in New Zealand. It makes a good lefty games trilogy with DE and Kentucky Route Zero.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

i just want to know more about elysium zaum.......

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Rimusutera posted:

Even if one sympathizes with and looks tragically upon figures like the Mercs for being the product of a culmination of factors beyond their control, viewing them in a vicious cycle of violence yet never truly beyond redemption till death, they remain the opposition and threat to likewise trapped people trying to make dignity out of ending their labour exploitation, fighting against colonial occupation, and attempting at least to build a better world.

I think it's a testament to the quality of the game's writing that it can elicit sympathy for the mercs while still ensuring that they're terrifying and that succesfully killing them is a genuine moment of relief

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

RudeCat posted:

THINK CUNO CARES ABOUT THAT loving SMALLTIME poo poo??!

(He doesn't.)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Up in the air how closely they'll follow-up on the Adventures of The Detective but given the game's already a prequel to a previously published novel and that before release the team had future hopes of releasing a pen and paper roleplaying system in the same setting, I think ZA/UM happens to like this Pale world.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pulcinella posted:

https://twitter.com/studiozaum/status/1344317224174161920?s=21

Mac update should be out soon that fixes the crashes.

I actually did end up installing Boot Camp+Windows 10, but for Umurangi Generations and Noita.

If y’all haven’t play UG you should. You can go through the whole thing & DLC in a long afternoon and evening if you’re quick (though a lot of the fun is just taking your time exploring the levels). It’s sort of like Pokémon snap but in a vaguely Cyberpunk/Jet Set Radio/popular-anime-from-the-mid-90s-but-anything-more-than-that-is-spoilers setting in New Zealand. It makes a good lefty games trilogy with DE and Kentucky Route Zero.

Im running it on linux using steam proton, works perfectly

Anyway, Im playing it for the first time, around 10 hours in, loving it.

But now I learn thats a "final cut" coming which will changes the game a lot? Maybe I should stop now and wait for it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

play through the game now so you can appreciate the additions even more

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

World War Mammories posted:

play through the game now so you can appreciate the additions even more

I dont know, to be frank while Im really liking the game, it seems the kind of game I wont feel the need to play again once is over

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

to each their own but there's enough content to support multiple playthroughs in my opinion. art cop and angry cop are very distinct for example

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Previously I was sad/commie cop. Next update I'm gonna try art/commie cop.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Samovar posted:

Previously I was sad/commie cop. Next update I'm gonna try art/commie cop.

art/commie is kind of what I'm doing

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I swear you people have to try ultra lib and moralist Harry. The amount of self deprecating oblivious things you can day really rules, and it makes him so naive and ridiculous. And it's not as harsh as fascist Harry.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont know, to be frank while Im really liking the game, it seems the kind of game I wont feel the need to play again once is over

I felt the same way, but a few months later and having not finished everything (didn't do much church stuff like an idiot), I can't wait to dive back in with some new bits.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

You can view the mercs as both deserving of sympathy and bullets at the same time. We are all social animals, victims of circumstance and societal constraints. Yet some are irredeemable or outright toxic to the cause of a better future.

DE is a game that toys with our expectations. We expect our villains to be moustached monsters, yet Joyce and the mercs are compassionate and feeling individuals. Murderers and tyrants, but not without souls.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I wouldn’t lump Joyce with the mercs. She is trying to prevent the tribunal and she is for and loves Revachol even if she is an ultra liberal

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I wouldn’t lump Joyce with the mercs. She is trying to prevent the tribunal and she is for and loves Revachol even if she is an ultra liberal

she's the reason the mercs are there. she's the reason that the tribunal happens in the first place. She's the one who chose to respond to a strike by hiring murderers. She could have just given into their demands, raised their wages, given them better benefits, any number of things. But those things are expensive, and she is tasked with maximising profit by any means necessary. and it turns out, violence is a whole lot cheaper.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Joyce gave me more money after I screamed at the top of my lungs, more than Evart ever could, and she also didn't make me sit in a chair that could give me a heart attack :shrug:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

EorayMel posted:

Joyce gave me more money after I screamed at the top of my lungs, more than Evart ever could, and she also didn't make me sit in a chair that could give me a heart attack :shrug:

Yeah but you're a cop so Evrart is entirely justified in doing that to you.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

she's the reason the mercs are there. she's the reason that the tribunal happens in the first place. She's the one who chose to respond to a strike by hiring murderers. She could have just given into their demands, raised their wages, given them better benefits, any number of things. But those things are expensive, and she is tasked with maximising profit by any means necessary. and it turns out, violence is a whole lot cheaper.

She didn't, actually. The board of wild pines sent in the mercenaries against Joyce's express wishes.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

She didn't, actually. The board of wild pines sent in the mercenaries against Joyce's express wishes.

If I remember property, she later admits to owning a majority of Wild Pines and the final decision was hers alone. I'd have to dig through the dialogue a bit to find it, it's towards the end of the game.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

No.

The company ignored Joyce’s recommendations and that’s why the Mercs are there.

Violence clearly isn’t cheaper. The company loses the port. But the company thought it was and she was the dissenting voice.

It’s actually a good illustration of one of the contradictions inside capitalism. Companies treat their workers like poo poo and cut corners. That isn’t actually maximizing future profits. Firms that retain workers and that treat them well are more profitable, and that’s not opinion. But companies don’t choose to do that.

.Joyce is watching what she believes in, the myth she participates in is breaking. But she is still participating in it

If anything she is analogous to the old communist sniper

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don’t remember Joyce owning Wild Pines and it seems impossible tbh

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

If I remember property, she later admits to owning a majority of Wild Pines and the final decision was hers alone. I'd have to dig through the dialogue a bit to find it, it's towards the end of the game.

Yeah that would make it her fault. I haven’t ever seen that one.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Well, let's put it this way, it's a huge game and I may be misremembering a line or two of dialogue. I'm going to do another playthrough when the update comes through. So I'll put a pin in this conversation till then.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If that were actually revealed at some point, you wouldn't be the only one who remembered it.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

joyce is a board member, not the single owner of wild pines. she also didn't want the mercs but I don't remember the specifics.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Nope, I definitely recall that about Joyce as well. There's a dialogue where Harry says something like "you ARE Wild Pines"

edit: Searching through the dialogue list:
"You *are* the Wild Pines. There are no employers."

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 1, 2021

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Joyce is a Relatively Selfless capitalist, in contrast to Evrart's Relatively Selfish communist. The game invites you to look how how each of their relatively selfish or selfless personal motivations wind up working out into better or worse situations for the people around them due to how these personal motivations are fed into the engine of an ideology. Evrart's selfishness nonetheless benefits the people around him, whereas Joyce's kindness ultimately does nothing to stop the harm she wishes to prevent.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rimusutera posted:

Yeah but you're a cop so Evrart is entirely justified in doing that to you.

In this setting, the cops are a volunteer force entirely funded by public donations that answer to no real government and actively use antiquated weapons to reduce the amount of harm they can cause.

It is, after all, a fantasy.

Impermanent posted:

Evrart's selfishness nonetheless benefits the people around him

The people that got their loving head popped by his friendly neighborhood sniper would wildly disagree, were they not dead.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

gotta pull some weeds for the garden to flourish!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

nah, the reason why she is there is expressly because the board decided about this before it got to her. Joyce is prideful, after all; if Evrart is full of subterfuge, she assumes responsibility for the mistakes of her subordinates (another cool study in opposition between the two).

She is a majority stakeholder on Wild Pines - Rhetoric, Logic and Reaction Speed (and perhaps Authority?) pick it that she is not what she seems quite fast, especially Rhetoric - and that is confirmed late in the game when you get the option to talk to her before going for the missing Hardie, the talk that gives you the Insulindian Miracle idea.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Dog Kisser posted:

Nope, I definitely recall that about Joyce as well. There's a dialogue where Harry says something like "you ARE Wild Pines"

edit: Searching through the dialogue list:
"You *are* the Wild Pines. There are no employers."

dead gay comedy forums posted:

nah, the reason why she is there is expressly because the board decided about this before it got to her. Joyce is prideful, after all; if Evrart is full of subterfuge, she assumes responsibility for the mistakes of her subordinates (another cool study in opposition between the two).

She is a majority stakeholder on Wild Pines - Rhetoric, Logic and Reaction Speed (and perhaps Authority?) pick it that she is not what she seems quite fast, especially Rhetoric - and that is confirmed late in the game when you get the option to talk to her before going for the missing Hardie, the talk that gives you the Insulindian Miracle idea.

Ahh, ok. That makes a whole lot of sense.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I guess that's a larger argument against the concept of personal responsibility itself. The mercs were sent not by Joyce, but by those acting on Joyce's behalf (the board). That's a rather biting commentary against liberalism.

Edit: Even if they are acting against her wishes, they act on behalf of the shareholders.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah even the very top gets hit with the contradictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
I went into this game blind as a bat and was really surprised after I finished to find out that the developers are Estonian. I figured that the Baltic Republics were the happiest to be rid of the USSR, so it was surprising to find that the game that portrays communist ideals in such romantic terms was developed by them.

Also, did anyone else find the decision to borrow wholesale from real world cultures really interesting? I found that it lulls you into this false sense of familiarity before introducing the more whack aspects of the setting.