Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A lot of managers used to be wrestlers which helps because they’ll still do bits where someone gets comeuppance by throwing them out of the ring or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I guess my question was less about managers that were once wrestlers, but wrestlers that stayed active while becoming managers.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

karmicknight posted:

I guess my question was less about managers that were once wrestlers, but wrestlers that stayed active while becoming managers.

Like Sweet and Sour Larry Sweeney?

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

came up in discord chat: who is on the Good Wrestling Dad Mount Rushmore? we could only get brodie and steen

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
can we do something other than mt rushmore

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

flatluigi posted:

Who would be represented on the wrestling Stone Mountain monument for good dads?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Who would be represented on the wrestling Stone Mountain monument for good dads?

Ultimate Warrior.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Rusty Shackelford posted:

-Searches desperately for those Vince birthday tweets.-

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
does anyone know/remember which Botchamania had Eddie Kingston almost killing a kid in Chikara? I think it might have been 338 but that one's been thoroughly scrubbed from the internet

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

came up in discord chat: who is on the Good Wrestling Dad Mount Rushmore? we could only get brodie and steen

Jun Kasai

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

flatluigi posted:

The 4 Pillars Of Fatherhood

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

flatluigi posted:

Which force ghosts of wrestling dads would smile at the face who wins the title from the monster heel at WrestleMania?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I Before E posted:

The 4 Pillars Of Fatherhood

In retrospect, it seems so obvious

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Red posted:

Which force ghosts of wrestling dads would smile at the face who wins the title from the monster heel at WrestleMania?

Ghost Eddie Guerrero is very proud of his daughter Sasha Banks

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Procrastinator posted:

Gary Hart comes off as a wonderful, loving dad in his memoir.

Owen Hart, of course.

Kensuke Sasaki it feels like he became a completely different (and awesome) person when he had kids.

There are probably some wrestlers who homesteaded in the territory era to not uproot their families who fit here but might not be as obvious.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Titus O'Neil won Father of the Year and just generally an amazing person all around so I figure he's a shoe-in for a spot, yeah?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Shad is a very obvious inductee in any wrestling dad pantheon.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

Shad is a very obvious inductee in any wrestling dad pantheon.
Literally remembered that right before I scrolled down to see your reply.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Reality Protester posted:

does anyone know/remember which Botchamania had Eddie Kingston almost killing a kid in Chikara? I think it might have been 338 but that one's been thoroughly scrubbed from the internet

What happened? I've never even heard about it

The only time I saw Kingston live was in Chikara when he brainbustered one of the Ants on the floor and the sound was sickening and the ref threw up the x and literally the whole crowd thought it was an actual injury and there was like a hushed silence but I think they just worked us really well

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe its the match where he basically beats the poo poo out of Tim Donst. I think its Donst's debut, at one point Kingston stiffs him with the meanest slap I've ever seen this side of Kobashi.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
There was a dive or something, might not have been Kingston himself, that went into the crowd and a kid was shooken up. Kingston screamed "The kid's fine" and continued the match.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Dusty?

Edit: did we all forget Kevin Owens? That seems like an easy one.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

maybe just put up half of dusty's face

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Dusty did apparently call Dustin literally every day when he was getting off drugs to make sure his rehab was working out

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Dusty did apparently call Dustin literally every day when he was getting off drugs to make sure his rehab was working out

He also supposedly was a major factor in splitting up Terri and Dustin, and I always wondered if the View Never Changes promo was a bit of a shoot in terms of how saying he neglected Dustin.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
So thinking about tribute shows, is there any good summary of who knew what and when with the Benoit murder/suicide? I doubt they would have done the episode if they had already known but some of the tributes *cough Regal cough* seemed to be hedging their bets.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

CopywrightMMXI posted:

So thinking about tribute shows, is there any good summary of who knew what and when with the Benoit murder/suicide? I doubt they would have done the episode if they had already known but some of the tributes *cough Regal cough* seemed to be hedging their bets.
I believe news was literally breaking about it as the show was broadcasting

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He also supposedly was a major factor in splitting up Terri and Dustin, and I always wondered if the View Never Changes promo was a bit of a shoot in terms of how saying he neglected Dustin.

It was, but I thought all the Terri stuff happened after that. I don't think Dusty was a particularly good dad but they did eventually reconcile for good, which is nice.

Tito Santana is probably one of the 4 pillars, as is Mick Foley. Terry Funk's kids all like him, so maybe he's in contention as well.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

WWE management was informed by the police that it was a murder/suicide before the show went on the air.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

WWE management was informed by the police that it was a murder/suicide before the show went on the air.

Isn't the consensus that Regal knew something judging by his demeanor during his segment

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Isn't the consensus that Regal knew something judging by his demeanor during his segment

I don't recall who but at least some guys said when they heard the family was dead they immediately thought Chris might be responsible. Even if thats just weird people being morbid AF as opposed to the likely scenario of "people who knew Chris was abusive/nuts and going crazier" add that to whatever rumor mill was going and yeah, not hard to think even if it wasn't confirmed to talent yet, some guys were suspicious.

This is easy to say in retrospect but even without knowing anything about Chris or the family, a domestic violence situation is probably more likely to happen to anyone than an intruder or CO poisoning or something like that anyway

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The news came out that all three of them were dead before the cause of deaths, right? It didn't take a rocket scientist to think something weird had happened, so even if the cause of deaths hadn't been revealed yet it was wise of Regal to say as little as possible.

It was sad when I first heard the news Chris was dead, but then when the news broke that the entire family was dead I immediately thought something more sinister had happened. It was all so loving weird.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

The news came out that all three of them were dead before the cause of deaths, right? It didn't take a rocket scientist to think something weird had happened, so even if the cause of deaths hadn't been revealed yet it was wise of Regal to say as little as possible.

It was sad when I first heard the news Chris was dead, but then when the news broke that the entire family was dead I immediately thought something more sinister had happened. It was all so loving weird.

Yes the news broke before the reports of the nature of the crime. Given the weird reports of Dave Taylor and his wife showing up at the crime scene at basically the same time the police arrived WWE clearly knew something was up even before any news broke.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

It's been a while since I've refreshed my memory about this, but IIRC, the smoking gun that they knew it was a murder-suicide committed by Chris before Raw went on the air was that the 911 call log for his mom's panic attack had those details before it was known publicly. (Someone in WWE, I think Carl DeMarco, had sent local reporter Scott Zerr, a friend of Chris's who was starting work on a memoir with him, to tell his parents.) Someone in the company—quite possibly DeMarco as well—called Dave Meltzer not long after the initial news broke and said that's what he was hearing, but both immediately dismissed it.

Do I think Vince or whoever had malevolent motivations in deciding to do the tribute show regardless? I don't know. I hope not. Maybe they just refused to believe it. But we also know some wrestlers suspected it. I dunno how long before air they shot the testimonial videos or what, but someone must have realized that the Regal (outright saying that he was only going to talk about Chris as a wrestler for the moment, which was because JBL had just asked him if he thought Chris might have "killed the boy") and Chavo (conspicuously pointed comments about trusting Chris to watch his kids) videos shouldn't have aired...right?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Hey, remember how there were/are conspiracy theories because someone edited Benoit’s wiki page as a “joke” to say it was a murder-suicide earlier than anyone would have known, and they somehow did so with a Stamford, CT IP?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I was gonna mention that Mick Foley seems like he dotes on his kids, but then I remembered the clips of the I Quit match in Beyond the Mat, which was a really crappy thing to put your family through. Think that's more just not thinking it through (and wasn't he pissed at The Rock over that?) than being consciously lovely though

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Punch McLightning posted:

Hey, remember how there were/are conspiracy theories because someone edited Benoit’s wiki page as a “joke” to say it was a murder-suicide earlier than anyone would have known, and they somehow did so with a Stamford, CT IP?

Didn't that guy get a talking to from the police too?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Answers Me posted:

I was gonna mention that Mick Foley seems like he dotes on his kids, but then I remembered the clips of the I Quit match in Beyond the Mat, which was a really crappy thing to put your family through. Think that's more just not thinking it through (and wasn't he pissed at The Rock over that?) than being consciously lovely though

He was pissed at the Rock for not checking on him after the match

Even though the Rock did and it was literally caught on camera by the Beyond the Mat crew, Mick’s brains were so concussed though that he blacked out everything from like the second chair shot until god knows when

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what is the longest family lineage for wrestlers? in the ring doing wrestling. not farting into a microphone OR anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

I think the funks are on their fourth or fifth generation of wrestlers? the finlays maybe as well.