Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

It snowed about 7" yesterday. No one grooms the local greenbelt so we have to do that on our own. The first pass can be a slog, but after that the trails are a blast. Tomorrow I get to go play on the groomed trails in the state park. Bikes are good; Winter is good.
please don't wreck ski tracks when possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I rode my bike for the first time in 3 months since the broken hand and it was good.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I got into a high speed shimmy on my ride yesterday, scared the poo poo out of me. I had just merged across an exit ramp of sorts heading into a -8.5% grade getting up to about 42 mph according to strava.

A tail wind picked up as I tucked into the descent, I think the geography acted sort of like a little wind tunnel. As a few dump trucks rumbled past I think I got caught in their turbulence and all I could think of was the scene in Top Gun when Mav and Goose getting caught in the jet wash. The front wheel started wobbling so much so that I thought I had another front tire blow out which wouldn't be all that surprising since there was some debris on the shoulder. There were a bunch of cars whizzing by, the speed limit is 45 mph (so probably 50-55) and I was acutely aware of not wanting to fall into traffic. I was able to get control by braking hard in the front and rear and safely coasted to a stop on the thankfully wide (yet debris-ridden) shoulder. All-in-all it was only a handful of seconds of sheer terror but I had never experienced it before. Definitely avoiding that stretch of road in the future, crossing the exit ramp makes it sketchy for riding enough as it is.

Just a reminder to stay safe out there! One more day of the Festive and I'm looking forward to a few days of extreme laziness.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

spf3million posted:

I got into a high speed shimmy on my ride yesterday, scared the poo poo out of me. I had just merged across an exit ramp of sorts heading into a -8.5% grade getting up to about 42 mph according to strava.

Yeah that descent can be a bit sketch. I hit my speed record of like ~55 on that a few years back. Never did that again, the road grating for rain drainage plus the traffic makes it pretty terrifying.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

FireTora posted:

Yeah that descent can be a bit sketch. I hit my speed record of like ~55 on that a few years back. Never did that again, the road grating for rain drainage plus the traffic makes it pretty terrifying.
I can definitely see how. It's easy to head into the exit ramp with a full head of steam. Plus I want to be moving as I get toward that merge since the cars don't have great visibility before the exit due to the curvature of the road. Don't really want to have to walk the bike across that lane. Overall a bad place to try to ride.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Yeah, I always take the lane on that one to avoid having to deal with that 'exit'. It's not bad most of the time, but it gets super trafficed by commuters in the afternoon trying to avoid 680.
Almost 58 apparnetly

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Looking for a tire in the 30-32mm range. 90% road, but the offroad can be soft and loose.

Candidates:
Continental 4 season
Gravelking SS
Gravelking SK
WTB Exposure
Maxxis Re-Fuse

Leaning toward the Gravelking SS, but not sure if the SK is too chunky for mostly road. Any suggestions?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Exposure would be my pick

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Looking for a tire in the 30-32mm range. 90% road, but the offroad can be soft and loose.

Candidates:
Continental 4 season
Gravelking SS
Gravelking SK
WTB Exposure
Maxxis Re-Fuse

Leaning toward the Gravelking SS, but not sure if the SK is too chunky for mostly road. Any suggestions?

G-One Speed not on the list? I’d go with the Exposure if not.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

spf3million posted:

A tail wind picked up as I tucked into the descent, I think the geography acted sort of like a little wind tunnel. As a few dump trucks rumbled past I think I got caught in their turbulence and all I could think of was the scene in Top Gun when Mav and Goose getting caught in the jet wash. The front wheel started wobbling so much so that I thought I had another front tire blow out which wouldn't be all that surprising since there was some debris on the shoulder. There were a bunch of cars whizzing by, the speed limit is 45 mph (so probably 50-55) and I was acutely aware of not wanting to fall into traffic. I was able to get control by braking hard in the front and rear and safely coasted to a stop on the thankfully wide (yet debris-ridden) shoulder. All-in-all it was only a handful of seconds of sheer terror but I had never experienced it before. Definitely avoiding that stretch of road in the future, crossing the exit ramp makes it sketchy for riding enough as it is.

Just a reminder to stay safe out there! One more day of the Festive and I'm looking forward to a few days of extreme laziness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvsDIq3WwVA

I start wobbling at ~45 and have to basically put my chest on my bars to keep my bike from throwing me off. Either that or start a really smooth weave back and forth across the lane.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

G-One Speed not on the list? I’d go with the Exposure if not.

Didn't think of that one, I'll take a look.

These tires will be run tubed if that makes a difference.

edit- is it worth the effort on non-tubeless ready rims?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 31, 2020

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I find myself unexpectedly in santa Barbara for a week with a bike and not much else to do but sit in the hotel. Outside of gibraltar is there anything else I need to ride? Saw some nice gravel rides mentioned in one of the randoneur routes here.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Shadowhand00 posted:

I find myself unexpectedly in santa Barbara for a week with a bike and not much else to do but sit in the hotel. Outside of gibraltar is there anything else I need to ride? Saw some nice gravel rides mentioned in one of the randoneur routes here.

Do the ride from SB to Ventura and back, it's about 80 miles roundtrip and has an incredible path nestled between Highway 101 and the ocean. If that sounds too far, the ride from SB to Carpinteria and back (40) is also lovely and you might get to see some seals looking after their pups at the seal rookery.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Candidates:
Continental 4 season
Gravelking SS
Gravelking SK
WTB Exposure
Maxxis Re-Fuse

I love re-fuses for their low price, high durability (as good as gatorskins imo), and reasonably good grip for a training tire. Haven't tried any of the other tires though.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Different park and this time in daylight. Look at those stripes!

And since that was my last ride for the year here's my 2020 stats. Good times. Lots of solo gravel this year.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 31, 2020

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress you 2020, making me forget my water bottles, then making me change a tube midway through my ride today.

But I loving did it:

Suck it, I'm doing 6k next year.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Got the new Ramparts mounted up and got them out for a 5 mile spin around between rains. Too early to judge durability, but initial ride impression is good. I might like them more than the GK slicks, they feel snappier and more eager to turn in, more like a road tire. Could be because they measure out to only 37mm on my rims, when the GKs measured out to 39mm, making them slightly but noticeably less voluminous.

Easy peasy to mount up tubeless and held air without any sealant when I air blasted them to seat the beads. Obviously put some fresh Orange Seal in after, fingers crossed these hold up better.

Ya'll are bigger animals than I am, but still pretty happy with 2020 considering I had almost no commuting miles to pad my numbers:

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 31, 2020

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh gently caress me, 45nrth makes Gravdals in tubeless now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

2020 was eventful. I did one race and then everything was cancelled. I had sunk a ton of time into structured training over the winter so this was a bummer. I’m a bit behind scheduled if I was to repeat that but I don’t foresee much racing, at least in the first half of the year.

2021 goals:

- 300 mile ride. There’s a gravel ride in September that I entered but ultimately withdrew this year that I’ll look to achieve next year.
- 10k miles. With the expectation I’ll be in an office at some point in the year I’ll probably have less time.
- COVID permitting, I would like to do the Iron Horse Classic in CO, and maybe my own mini training camp for a few weeks while I visit my dad and work remotely.
- take some more KOMs and talk incessant poo poo to my friends when I take theirs

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

should i get waterproof windbreaker or a softshell? i'd prefer to have something that i didnt have to wash (and reapply water repellant) all the time.
You should do that on both so that shouldn't be a factor.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, proper 2020 post:
-made my goal of 5k miles, and did a handful of metrics.
-ran a bit out of steam in November due to a couple reasons
-I'm probably in the best shape of my life right now. I didn't think going into 2020 I would be doing 40-50 miles in freezing cold by the end.
-learned the glory of tubeless
-gravel is cool and good

Goals for next year:
-6k miles
-150k feet climbed
-get back to 4 hour metric form
-do an imperial century.

Pope Hilarius
May 3, 2007

Anyone ever had a Morel-Lavallee lesion or a hematoma? I took a spill 10 days ago and have a now have a bubble the size of half an orange on my hip. It isn't painful but it jiggles like a water bed. The PA I spoke to seemed oblivious as to the best course of action and thought it was bursitis (I really don't think so). From my googling it seems like it could take months to resolve, possibly with longer term scarring to the area. Any anecdotes would be appreciated.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I did my first FTP test today and got 245. Nowhere to go but up, I guess. Gonna do some training plans and beat my friends.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Pope Hilarius posted:

Anyone ever had a Morel-Lavallee lesion or a hematoma? I took a spill 10 days ago and have a now have a bubble the size of half an orange on my hip. It isn't painful but it jiggles like a water bed. The PA I spoke to seemed oblivious as to the best course of action and thought it was bursitis (I really don't think so). From my googling it seems like it could take months to resolve, possibly with longer term scarring to the area. Any anecdotes would be appreciated.

I had a hematoma from a crash. It bubbled up the next day. With ice over the first few days it went down by the 10 day mark iirc. It’s been 3 months and it’s still a bit sore to touch, don’t know when it’ll be 100% again.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

drat ya'll live in some flat places doing over 5000 miles and only a little over 100k ft of climbing

Just thinking about getting on my bicycle logs 500 ft on the barometer here

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Dren posted:

I did my first FTP test today and got 245. Nowhere to go but up, I guess. Gonna do some training plans and beat my friends.

Dunno if you meant this to come off as self-deprecating, but that is a very, very good number for a first FTP test.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

VacaGrande posted:

Dunno if you meant this to come off as self-deprecating, but that is a very, very good number for a first FTP test.

Ah, I thought it was bad. You see, I am trying to beat my friend who is faster than me.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Festive 500 complete.

Totals for the year:
Rode 292 days / 415.5 hours
5,233mi
129k elevation

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Sadly my festive 500 attempt was cut short by suspected rona. Fortunately it's just Another Illness that isn't so life threatening but still stopping me riding

Year's total:

13,600.5 km
87,645 m elevation gain
287 rides, 469 hours
2 new bikes (and 5 new wheels)

Dren posted:

Ah, I thought it was bad. You see, I am trying to beat my friend who is faster than me.

:hmmyes:

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 1, 2021

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Pope Hilarius posted:

I've twice had very small hematoma, smaller than dime sized. They took about 2 months to slowly go away, but were really just a nuisance while they were there. I couldn't feel them at all after the first couple of days after forming.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Shadowhand00 posted:

Or do SB-Ventura-Ojai-SB. It's a cool loop around lake Casitas.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Guinness posted:

drat ya'll live in some flat places doing over 5000 miles and only a little over 100k ft of climbing

Just thinking about getting on my bicycle logs 500 ft on the barometer here

I don't know where you live that doing over 1k feet in 40 miles is "flat".

Where DJ Exile lives is flat.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
If I've learned one thing about ride posting it's that someone will always crawl out of the woodwork to call your rides flat if you did anything short of biking up a literal mountain.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I actually wish I had 0 elevation in all rides, allowing me to try to shape all my extra fat into an ideal aero form.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Where I live it's like 1000' over 15 miles unless I specifically seek out a mountain.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

kimbo305 posted:

I actually wish I had 0 elevation in all rides, allowing me to try to shape all my extra fat into an ideal aero form.

Move to Houston

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Previous bests:
Distance: 1,900 mi (2016)
Time: 123h 46m (2016)
Elevation Gain: 59,280ft (2017)
Rides: 88

Goals this year:
Distance: 1,000 mi
Complete Mt. Washington hillclimb

How things stand now:

Mt. Washington didn't happen because it got cancelled, but everything else was awesome. Set new personal bests for everything, got in better bike shape than I've ever been in, and just finished Festive 500 (all indoors, but still not easy). Four Horsemen was the last route and I bonked at Turn 10 on Alpe du Zwift, but whatever, that's for another day.

gently caress 2020, bikes rule.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

kimbo305 posted:

"This plus-size skinsuit has zippers and struts all over the place, but it gives your abdominal fat the drag coefficient of a Prius."

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I feel cheated since trainer time counts for 0 miles even though it's harder work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Crumps Brother posted:

If I've learned one thing about ride posting it's that someone will always crawl out of the woodwork to call your rides flat if you did anything short of biking up a literal mountain.

Literally bike up a mountain many/most days a week (it’s a small mountain though)
700k feet of climbing this year