Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I...I didn't really have anything I wanted to post, I was just wondering if we had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Alita: Last Order

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

The strongest turtle in the world.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Push El Burrito posted:

The strongest turtle in the world.

:bisonyes:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Bro Dad posted:

Alita: Last Order

The robot poking out the other robot's eyes almost shut my brain down with the amount of questions I suddenly had.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Nilbop posted:

The robot poking out the other robot's eyes almost shut my brain down with the amount of questions I suddenly had.

In Alita when they say robots, think cyborg. All of 'em have a meat brain, and sometimes organic body parts.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Obviously they run with the concept but does Japanese have word to differentiate like English does? Do they just use loan words?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Obviously they run with the concept but does Japanese have word to differentiate like English does? Do they just use loan words?

Calculator and robot both used to describe humans.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Funny that you say that, because robot is itself a loan word from the slavic robota.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This is actually kind of a complicated subject. There's a whole lot of terms, both natively Japanese and loanwords, that get used for robots. It just comes down to what the author thinks sounds good to their audience.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Dragon Ball is a bit interesting with this. There are multiple characters who are called "Androids" in the English dub, even though the characters themselves are either cyborgs or actually androids on a case by case basis.

I think the original Japanese calls them something along the lines of "artificial human".

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Veotax posted:

I think the original Japanese calls them something along the lines of "artificial human".

That's how they prefer to be called iirc.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Calculator and robot both used to describe humans.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I didn't think about it when I was watching the show, but in the context of this discussion I got curious. I don't speak Russian, but I know Czech and Russian are related languages. I was thinking that if "Biorobot", in the context of Chernobyl, meant "biological unit serving in place of an artificial robot, but actually the word robot means slave in our language, so the word resolves to biological slave", it would have been very much in keeping with the Soviet reputation for the bleakest possible humor, but that's just not the case here. The Russian words for "worker" and "slave" are etymologically related to the Czech "robota", but they're not identical*. "Robot" is a loanword in Russian, meaning "artificial task-performer", the same as in English. So that's cool!

*The German "Arbeit" stems from the same root word!

E:

Samovar posted:

That's how they prefer to be called iirc.

That was my favorite thing in The World's End; the synthetic space dudes forcefully insisting that they not be called "robots" because it means "slave". I keep waiting for Transformers to pick up on that but I guess that doesn't square with the "Robots In Disguise" tagline that they've spent thirty-six years building up brand equity on.

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 1, 2021

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Phy posted:

That was my favorite thing in The World's End; the synthetic space dudes forcefully insisting that they not be called "robots" because it means "slave". I keep waiting for Transformers to pick up on that but I guess that doesn't square with the "Robots In Disguise" tagline that they've spent thirty-six years building up brand equity on.

IDW's depiction of a Cybertronian caste system could arguably undermine that outlook.

Adult Illiteracy
Oct 10, 2012
Are we all not robots in disguise under late capitalism

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also, important reminder Isaac Asimov pronounced "robot" "row-butt."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWJJnQybZlk

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
In some early Twilight Zone episodes they pronounce it row-but as well

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, just like Zoidberg.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Skwirl posted:

Oh poo poo. I'd always wondered why my dad pronounces robot that way. I guess it was just a thing back when he was a kid. He grew up in NYC, and I'm pretty sure read Asimov as a kid. He definitely did as a teen.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Chainsaw Man recently finished its run, and I went back to have a bit of a reread of the later chapters.

Lot of great moments, but this is a fun one. Nothing to really note here other than they've all just been sent to Hell and have been noticed by a Devil down there.

It's getting an anime adaption soon, and it's gonna be insane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPB_J6Egi28

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
So a demon... ripped all their arms off?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yup. It doesnt have the same impact without the setup and knowledge, not to mention this is one of the peaks of that certain arc.

so:
Devils are strong proportional to how much people fear them.
Devils only come to earth when they are killed in Hell. (killing them on earth sends them back)

There are primordial fears which have never come to earth, having never died in hell. The darkness devil being one of them.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I just noticed, but are their arms Spelling something?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Probably something like "ow my arms."

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's kind of a spoiler, but for what it's worth: Makima

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Those panels are very bizarre and I feel like it might be striking if I understood some symbology that I'm missing, but for me it just comes off as disjointed.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ariong posted:

Those panels are very bizarre and I feel like it might be striking if I understood some symbology that I'm missing, but for me it just comes off as disjointed.

its disjointed if you read the whole thing too, the art is extremely confusing most of the time

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Haven't read Chainsaw Man (yet) but it feels like it's supposed to leave you with a WTF feeling.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I really want to like it but yeah utterly impenetrable without a lot of background :confused:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, without the background/buildup its not so much badass as "He's very skinny. And why are there astronauts suddenly?"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I read a lot of manga and Chainsaw Man is still incredibly hard to read. I gave it an honest try and bounced off of it after a few dozen chapters.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Contextually there is a lot going on there, and a lot of it is build up to what the overarching plot of Chainsaw Man is. And some of it is pretty....esoteric. Like an assassin that constantly says "Halloween", the payoff of which is roughly nine billion times more insane than it has to be for an assassin that says nothing but "Halloween".

The idea of the embodiment of the fear of darkness being heralded by a bunch of astronauts praying to the void is pretty cool on it's own though.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
You don't see what he does, because he's the devil of darkness. He does it when you're not looking, between panels.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
We did see the payoff to that Halloween gimmick in this thread; it was posted earlier. Chainsaw Man seems like a very hard series to get into all around, but I would expect SA posters to be the type of weirdos to be able to get into it (I am not insulting anybody when I post this, please don't get the wrong idea), so I'm surprised I'm seeing such negativity in here.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You made me curious and a search of this thread says the last time chainsaw man was posted here was last may and as far as I can tell wasn't connected to whatever's happening in what got posted

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
As far as I know the Halloween power isn't related to any of that, I was just referring to Mulva's example of esoteric stuff in Chainsaw Man.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gologle posted:

We did see the payoff to that Halloween gimmick in this thread; it was posted earlier. Chainsaw Man seems like a very hard series to get into all around, but I would expect SA posters to be the type of weirdos to be able to get into it (I am not insulting anybody when I post this, please don't get the wrong idea), so I'm surprised I'm seeing such negativity in here.

I think it's more confusion than negativity. At least it is for me.

Don't get me wrong, I like the art. Hell, I love the *concept* of series. But what I've seen of it has been more impenetrable than not.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

But what I've seen of it has been more impenetrable than not.

Having something a little more shonen-esque then :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
see now that's great :allears: