Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The only real complaint I have about Dark Souls is their fans really like to deny that the games are hard to the point where I feel like I'm getting loving gaslit.

They are hard games and there is nothing wrong with that. Commenting on the difficulty of a game is not criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Are they hard though? If they were actually hard they wouldn't have market appeal to be as successful as they are, they stop you sometimes and you die a bunch but they aren't like sekiro where it is just a chain of hard roadblocks if you aren't good enough like a old nes game. I think people just consider them hard because at the time dying in games and trying another time was not the normal anymore.

Also ghost of tsushima has parry counter stuff and a big one is the older Assassin's creed games which where very much parry counter combat.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 1, 2021

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

They are obviously quite hard. To imply they are easy is just disingenuous. Enemies hit hard and death is punishing.

If Sekiro is your standard for a difficult game then very very few action games are difficult.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

They are obviously quite hard. To imply they are easy is just disingenuous. Enemies hit hard and death is punishing.

If Sekiro is your standard for a difficult game then very very few action games are difficult.

Yeah but the same could be said for Mario 64 but that game is considered super easy.

And very few action games after 2000 were difficult on their default difficulty.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Dark Souls is a walking simulator

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it simulates the feeling of walking to work in the middle of winter before the sun comes up

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fur20 posted:

it simulates the feeling of walking to work in the middle of winter before the sun comes up

Now that just reminds me of the time I was struggling through horizontal rain to get to work, then played Heaven's Divide on my phone and it suddenly became amazing.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
They are hard but ultimately fair to the point where if you die it's because you hosed up not because of rng.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Flannelette posted:

Yeah but the same could be said for Mario 64 but that game is considered super easy.

What? That's because it is a fairly easy game that i beat when I was 7. That is a really weird comparison.

Dec 25, 2020

people who say dark souls is easy have simply discovered that virtually every action game is an ultra weak solved game and that the proper strategy can lead to quick victory for even someone of only moderate skill at the core game mechanics

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
It's not so much that it's easy, it's just that it's not nearly as hard as people make it be for themselves

Personally I like some Souls stuff here and there just because it is a bunch of dungeons crawling. There was a video game adaptation of Deathtrap Dungeon on the PSX that sucked, but the idea is good. I want to fight through a gauntlet of traps and bullshit with a set of rules that are fair. I still don't know poo poo about the story in Dark Souls and it is all just some kind of weird stuff going on, and Bloodborne is even weirder stuff, and I remember about the same from those games as I do from Final Fantasy Tactics after playing through it one time 20 years ago. I don't know what it is about those games that has people love ~the lore~

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

110 posted:

people who say dark souls is easy have simply discovered that virtually every action game is an ultra weak solved game and that the proper strategy can lead to quick victory for even someone of only moderate skill at the core game mechanics

Yes this is basically it, action games sort of boiled down to basic systems at/after the 64 PS1 and people forgot that you can make hard "no other choice but to get good at it" game parts because those were frustrating and had limited sales appeal. I remember ninja gaiden on xbox being sort of hard though and limited ways to get around it, most of dark souls challenge can be grinded or cheesed past.

There's also a wall that everyone hits playing souls game the first time that makes it seem hard but play a bit more and you find it is an illusion of hardness.

signalnoise posted:

It's not so much that it's easy, it's just that it's not nearly as hard as people make it be for themselves

Personally I like some Souls stuff here and there just because it is a bunch of dungeons crawling. There was a video game adaptation of Deathtrap Dungeon on the PSX that sucked, but the idea is good. I want to fight through a gauntlet of traps and bullshit with a set of rules that are fair. I still don't know poo poo about the story in Dark Souls and it is all just some kind of weird stuff going on, and Bloodborne is even weirder stuff, and I remember about the same from those games as I do from Final Fantasy Tactics after playing through it one time 20 years ago. I don't know what it is about those games that has people love ~the lore~

That was my main love of dark souls 1 and bloodborne is it gave me a shoulder eye view of exploring this huge winding connected DnD combat campaign full of danger and stuff (dark souls even had sens fortress which was a straight DnD old school dungeon), there was even all this lore tacked on I could go back a read much later if I wanted.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 1, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Here's my unpopular opinion: Dark Souls II is fuckin' great.

It's way better than DS3. :colbert:

Dec 25, 2020

Flannelette posted:

Yes this is basically it, action games sort of boiled down to basic systems at/after the 64 PS1 and people forgot that you can make hard "no other choice but to get good at it" game parts because those were frustrating and had limited sales appeal. I remember ninja gaiden on xbox being sort of hard though and limited ways to get around it, most of dark souls challenge can be grinded or cheesed past.

the hardest part is always putting the game down for awhile and then coming back and figuring out what the hell you're supposed to be doing

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dark Souls has like 4 combat actions. Meanwhile, Steel Battalion has an incredible amount of input, putting it light years ahead of the small and weak Dark Souls franchise which is for babies.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the hard part is pressing the circle button with the correct timing to not die hth

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

110 posted:

the hardest part is always putting the game down for awhile and then coming back and figuring out what the hell you're supposed to be doing

I pathologically do this for long CRPGs and it messed up playing so many of them because I get worn out from all the story and reading then come back a month later and forget what the hell was happening.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the hard part is pressing the circle button with the correct timing to not die hth

Yes and knowing exactly the number of hits you can do in a certain part of a bosses move set.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

jokes posted:

Dark Souls has like 4 combat actions. Meanwhile, Steel Battalion has an incredible amount of input, putting it light years ahead of the small and weak Dark Souls franchise which is for babies.

You'd think Armored Core would be the reference here.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I never want to pretend Armored Core should compete with Dark Souls, or else From Software won’t make another.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Haha you think from soft is ever going to make anything but token side projects and souls games now?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i don't want some dumbass robot armored core game wasting their time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vandar posted:

Here's my unpopular opinion: Dark Souls II is fuckin' great.

It's way better than DS3. :colbert:

DS3 is so bad this isn't that controversial.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

My hot take is that each Dark Souls is better than the one before it. I played all three of them in a row right when DS3 was released and they just got better as they went along. (The caveat is that DS2 is pretty uneven and has more bad parts than DS1, but it also has more good parts because it's just bigger overall.)

I never really did any multiplayer so maybe the PVP is really bad in DS3 or whatever.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont have a strong opinion on dark souls. i tried to get into the first game a few times but ended up accidentally killing a merchant because he looked like a skeleton, got annoyed with myself for my prejudice against skeletons and quit the game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
punishing difficulty and losing all your cash on hand is one thing but it's real hosed up that you can permanently anger important npcs like shopkeepers by accidentally bumping the trigger when you stand up to go pour a coffee or something and be unable to revert to a save

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

punishing difficulty and losing all your cash on hand is one thing but it's real hosed up that you can permanently anger important npcs like shopkeepers by accidentally bumping the trigger when you stand up to go pour a coffee or something and be unable to revert to a save

Theres a dude on resetera who claims they thought Bloodborne was an ironman game so they created a backup save and everytime they died would dutifully delete the local save, plug in the backup, and keep playing so you sort of can

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
The mean reason I found Dark Souls frustrating was having to re-play (or run through) part of a level to get another crack at a boss while you're trying to find out the proper technique. For normal exploration the punishing deaths were fine, finding a shortcut to loop back to a bonfire was a great feeling.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

yeah i thought it was kind of an exhausting game, i got the feeling like i couldnt really experiment or play freely and had to be alert all the time so i wouldnt make mistakes that would screw up my run, like playing a roguelike but without the casual restarts

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Flannelette posted:

Haha you think from soft is ever going to make anything but token side projects and souls games now?

yea it's important to keep in mind when considering the possibility of From Software making another Armored Core that Hidetaka Miyazaki's work is

So he came in and made bad AC, then had massive success with something else, and now he's the president of the company. This is what From Software is now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm more picturing an Armoured Core game that's actually just Dark Souls with mechs.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

High Protein posted:

The mean reason I found Dark Souls frustrating was having to re-play (or run through) part of a level to get another crack at a boss while you're trying to find out the proper technique. For normal exploration the punishing deaths were fine, finding a shortcut to loop back to a bonfire was a great feeling.

I get the frustration but it's kind of funny because the Dark Souls series has basically re-wired me to have the opposite feeling, where I can't stand the more "traditional" boss checkpointing that puts you right back into the fight when you die. The Dark Souls boss run is a time to decompress from the intensity of the fight and internalize the lessons you learned during it, whereas being stuck continuously in the boss fight every time you die turns it into mind-numbing white noise of an experience.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd put Armored Core in my top 5 ps games

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Anyone wanna do that for fun?

1 tactics ogre
2 blood omen lok
3 armored core
4 mgs
5 suikoden 2

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Breath of Fire 3
3. Crash Bandicoot Warped
4. Spider-Man
5. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

Spider-Man ps1 kicks rear end

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Armored Core 2 was a piece of poo poo. It could have been good but the controls were all hosed up. Why yes, I want to look up and down and strafe with the left stick and look to the sides and walk with the right one. This makes perfect sense and hasn't been done better in several other FPS games with a gamepad by now.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I always wanted to like Armored Core because the idea of kitting out a mech and having to get a worse machine gun because your power requirement was too high sounded cool but the actual games were just boring to play.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Triarii posted:

My hot take is that each Dark Souls is better than the one before it. I played all three of them in a row right when DS3 was released and they just got better as they went along. (The caveat is that DS2 is pretty uneven and has more bad parts than DS1, but it also has more good parts because it's just bigger overall.)

I never really did any multiplayer so maybe the PVP is really bad in DS3 or whatever.

:same:

I'd put Bloodborne between DS2 and DS3, maybe? The first half is very good but once night falls, the levels get notably more boring and ugly. Sekiro has a similar problem where the part up to Gonichumi is the best part, zhough there are some cool bosses later on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

1) Jumping Flash
2) Who
3) Gives
4) A
5) poo poo

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

signalnoise posted:

yea it's important to keep in mind when considering the possibility of From Software making another Armored Core that Hidetaka Miyazaki's work is

So he came in and made bad AC, then had massive success with something else, and now he's the president of the company. This is what From Software is now

So is THAT what happened to Amored Core? I have fond memories of playing the first very breifly, and kept a mental note of the series hoping that one day they'd make a PC port. What a bloody shame - fast paced mech combat with an emphasis on multiplayer's customization balance is really drat niche, and not many people have even tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Serephina posted:

So is THAT what happened to Amored Core? I have fond memories of playing the first very breifly, and kept a mental note of the series hoping that one day they'd make a PC port. What a bloody shame - fast paced mech combat with an emphasis on multiplayer's customization balance is really drat niche, and not many people have even tried.

Mech combat is one genre that seems to have been all but abandoned seemingly just from devs losing interest in it, nowadays they apparently have to tack a shooter onto it to justify it. (see that last awful Front Mission game, Lost Planet, and Titanfall where the devs seem barely aware that there is mech media outside their game)