Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Duck and Cover posted:

Hmm this is good idea but what about my RGBs? WHAT ABOUT MY RGBS?!

I bought a new PSU just to have a secondary and even those have RGB fans now wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I take a decommissioned screen door and dehydrate fruit over the exposed innards of my gaming rig when it is running full tilt

gently caress I haven't thought about that in a long time

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tucking my computer in the crawl space under the stairs on the other side of the wall from my desk is the best thing I ever did. Noise is zero, wire clutter is zero, and I don’t give a poo poo what it looks like, so when I had to punch a speed hole in the top of the case to fit my GPU in, even that didn’t matter.

Add in wireless peripherals (kb+m, headset) and it’s a pretty drat clean setup. Lots of great space for all the other bullshit littering my desk.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

greasyhands posted:

I moved my pc into a closet a while ago and it gets to like 45c in there and the hardware runs at 70-80c but its designed to do that so who cares. It makes life way better. Theres no reason to waste money on a server rack, just put a desktop in the corner of the closet

this is a bad idea if you have any sort of files on your pc you want to keep long term. less bad if ssd only, but still p. bad

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Truga posted:

this is a bad idea if you have any sort of files on your pc you want to keep long term. less bad if ssd only, but still p. bad

SSD only and the temp really *doesnt* matter but important stuff goes on google drive anyways. And its not like its at that temp all day and night, just when gaming. The SSD temp varies less than 10c in the closet vs out in open air (I tested it all w/ hwinfo out of curiosity)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
oh yeah that's fine then

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Man I wish my PC would warm up my room the way it does for some of you. It'd save me a lot on heating costs during the winter!

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Heat pump dumped 10oz of water through the top vent of my PC and my 2070 super was the only casualty. How do I get a 3060?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zosologist posted:

Heat pump dumped 10oz of water through the top vent of my PC and my 2070 super was the only casualty. How do I get a 3060?

https://github.com/Hari-Nagarajan/fairgame

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Alternately https://github.com/jef/streetmerchant or a notification discord

fairgame causes Amazon's anti-bot detection to activate for me and it has zero detection of the login captcha so it can't actually do anything.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Alternately https://github.com/jef/streetmerchant or a notification discord

fairgame causes Amazon's anti-bot detection to activate for me and it has zero detection of the login captcha so it can't actually do anything.

have you tried using the startup guide and smile.amazon like it instructs?

No captcha issue here either, if its detected it waits for me to input it.

I wouldnt recommend either of those other options. They are better than nothing but not by much

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Fauxtool posted:

have you tried using the startup guide and smile.amazon like it instructs?

No captcha issue here either, if its detected it waits for me to input it.

I wouldnt recommend either of those other options. They are better than nothing but not by much
Re-ran it and it worked this time.
Yes, I was already on Smile, it's the default. Fairgame would fail to login due to login-page captcha (I could see that it was not logged in), fail to detect it, and just skip to checking if there was stock. Since the entire point is for it to be an auto-checkout bot this made it essentially no better (potentially worse) than streetmerchant, which would at least pop a new browser and auto-add-to-cart.

Also streetmerchant doesn't require a login which means there's zero risk of getting my account suspended, only an IP ban.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im basing my recommendation on what works. One can be left on while you sleep, the other relies on your being awake and next to your PC. Maybe try running it though a vpn. Thats what i do and i dont get anything except the first login captcha, no dogs or anything

You absolutely could get your account suspended with either. You think amazon couldnt tell that the IP pinging them is the same one buying?
If you are being "safe" with streetmerchant sending a notification to a separate device that you order on then you are several seconds behind which is all it takes to miss your chance.

discord and streetmerchant were viable in maybe the first 3 weeks, but they arent very useful anymore in terms of getting any ampere gpus

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 31, 2020

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Xaris posted:

Could you perhaps do a bootable USB-stick linux installation+drivers and see if it does it on linux too? Could at least pinpoint if it's a hardware problem.

Trying it in another computer is also a good idea

I'll try that. I won't get to try it in another computer for a while. I'm guessing that removing the shroud voids the warranty, right?

Gigabyte finally replied, they think it's a hardware problem and say to RMA it, but I didn't have the full scope of the issue when I wrote my ticket.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Man I wish my PC would warm up my room the way it does for some of you. It'd save me a lot on heating costs during the winter!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Pretty sure the doctors misdiagnosed and he already had the brain damage if he was running a setup like that in his bedroom.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Maybe you guys can help me figure out what I'm missing here.

As a "fun project", I've decided to swap out the heatsink on my card (Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming) for a Raijintek Morpheus 2. This of course involves messing with the fans. I brought two Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 PWM for the purpose, which would replace the 3 smaller fans on the card, which are connected by... VGA? Apparently that's what this is called?

I was led to understand that by means of a VGA-PWM adapter and PWM Y-splitter the new fans could talk to the card like the old ones did, but in practice this hasn't worked. I thought I had a breakthrough when I looked more closely at the old enclosure and noticed that only one of the VGA headers on the card was ever actually connected to the fans (the other two were for the RGBs on the card) but it still doesn't work using that one, the only way I've ever gotten those fans to spin is by going to the PWM ports on the mainboard, which works, but I'd really like to have these fans talking natively to the GPU without having to run any additional software.

(and I mean the mainboard isn't a bad solution, in tests I got the thing to hold at about 65 degrees C under sustained 100% utilisation at a hair below 1000 RPM, so, I could live with that, but...)

Is this actually possible? Have I been misled? Can you actually use PWM fans natively with GPU headers?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Corsair has their 12 pin modular PSU cable back in stock finally for those with a 3000 series and a corsair PSU.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Fedule posted:

As a "fun project", I've decided to swap out the heatsink on my card (Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming) for a Raijintek Morpheus 2. This of course involves messing with the fans. I brought two Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 PWM for the purpose, which would replace the 3 smaller fans on the card, which are connected by... VGA? Apparently that's what this is called?

I was led to understand that by means of a VGA-PWM adapter and PWM Y-splitter the new fans could talk to the card like the old ones did, but in practice this hasn't worked. I thought I had a breakthrough when I looked more closely at the old enclosure and noticed that only one of the VGA headers on the card was ever actually connected to the fans (the other two were for the RGBs on the card) but it still doesn't work using that one, the only way I've ever gotten those fans to spin is by going to the PWM ports on the mainboard, which works, but I'd really like to have these fans talking natively to the GPU without having to run any additional software.

(and I mean the mainboard isn't a bad solution, in tests I got the thing to hold at about 65 degrees C under sustained 100% utilisation at a hair below 1000 RPM, so, I could live with that, but...)

Is this actually possible? Have I been misled? Can you actually use PWM fans natively with GPU headers?

On my Gigabyte 2070S the vga to pwm adapter works just fine with Noctua fans. So it's deffo possible.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Fedule posted:

It depends on the header used on the board. I'm using a pwm y adapter to run 2 a12x25 fans from the header on my zotac 3080, but some AIBs like to use different headers or pinouts.

Could be possible you're hitting a 0 rpm idle mode on the card as well I guess.

If you can't get it working from the board header you could try something like argus or fan control to run it from the motherboard but base the curve on gpu temp.

Edit: I believe this is the adapter that's working for me:

https://www.amazon.com/CRJ-Splitter-Adapter-Sleeved-Graphics/dp/B07T95C68T

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 31, 2020

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

D-Pad posted:

Corsair has their 12 pin modular PSU cable back in stock finally for those with a 3000 series and a corsair PSU.

Does this give a performance benefit for is mostly just for convenience in cabling?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Booyah- posted:

Does this give a performance benefit for is mostly just for convenience in cabling?

aesthetics

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I'm happy to report that the EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 runs like a champ after undervolting to 950mv@1950 mhz to limit its power draw to around 330W max. I also run a Mini ITX board with NVME drives only with a Ryzen 3600 so that limits the total power consumption dramatically. I currently have an SF600 so I also had to use a PCIE cable splitter to provide juice to all 3 connections. Haven't heard a pop yet, and I don't see any magic smoke coming form the case. I've been playing COD Cold War, Cyberpunk, and Flight Simulator 2020. Timespy graphics score dropped from 17600 to 17200, so I'll take it!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Geforce Now trip report.

The friend's place I'm staying at has 25/5 mbps Comcast, which in practice seems to allow up to 30 mbps though maybe not sustained. The wifi environment isn't that great, it's a mesh over a multi story condo with quite a few networks visible nearby. Wasn't expecting it to be very playable.

GFN at 1080p60 with auto adjust for network disabled says it needs 32 mbps but still worked pretty well though it had the odd stutter. Very playable.

Tried dropping to 900p60 (23mbps listed) instead and it's very smooth. Looks the same on the 14" 4K screen on the ultralight - slightly better since that was enough to let me re-enable Psycho lighting for GI.

Quite impressive how well it's working in what is a much worse network environment than I had expected. Ordered a cheap used DFS-capable AP on Amazon when I got here and saw the somewhat congested network neighborhood but I don't think it'll be needed when it does get here.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well, we opened the case up again, verified everything was connected, figured something in the chain must be broken, so, out came the multimeter, every adapter was confirmed working, we tested the fans direct PWM-VGA, fine, one fan through each side of the splitter, fine, and both fans through the splitter... fine. Turns out the whole thing's fine! We presume we must have hosed something up in the first assembly, but it must've been subtle, we'd've noticed if a cable was loose when we took it apart again.

Gigabyte's stupid Xtreme Gaming Engine is happy again and I've got my fan curve set up, once again stress tested using Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (a CryEngine game) running at 4K (and 100% utilisation) for half an hour and wound up at an equilibrium of around 62 degrees C and ~950rpm, barely audible. I could turn the fans off completely when idle but the temp creeps up to like 60 on its own if I do that, so instead it idles at like 600rpm (literally inaudible) and around 42 degrees. Smiles all around. Eventually I'm gonna get more PWM fans for the case and then this thing will literally be silent. Big Air, motherfuckers. My CPU is now about 40% heatsink by volume or like 60% by side area.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Fedule posted:

Big Air, motherfuckers. My CPU is now about 40% heatsink by volume or like 60% by side area.

:respek:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TerminalSaint posted:

Fedule posted:

Big Air, motherfuckers. My CPU is now about 40% heatsink by volume or like 60% by side area.

:respek:

Heck yeah brother

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Trigger warning that poo poo, man. Giving me flashbacks...

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bad Munki posted:

Heck yeah brother

Please tell me that was in a warehouse/shop type environment and not just from normal household use.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nah man it’s my new build, it’s important to pre-season the thing so as to manage its expectations about its new life

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Zil posted:

Please tell me that was in a warehouse/shop type environment and not just from normal household use.

That's like, not even that bad an example of 90s desktop gore. Horrible airflow, 30 year old shag carpets commonly still in use, computer area going weeks between use where the dust can gather....

If I had to open up one of those again I'd 100% wear a mask.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Lockback posted:

That's like, not even that bad an example of 90s desktop gore. Horrible airflow, 30 year old shag carpets commonly still in use, computer area going weeks between use where the dust can gather....

If I had to open up one of those again I'd 100% wear a mask.

Smokers... ugh

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And cats! Cat smokers were the worst.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bad Munki posted:

And cats! Cat smokers were the worst.

I had someone ask me to install a CDRom in an old packard bell. I opened it up and as soon as I did the entire ROOM reeked of cat piss from the innards. I have no idea how the thing even booted up.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lockback posted:

I had someone ask me to install a CDRom in an old packard bell. I opened it up and as soon as I did the entire ROOM reeked of cat piss from the innards. I have no idea how the thing even booted up.

Ah, that brings back memories. I had a computer dropped off for service and it was sticky with cat piss. I don't think I even opened it to look inside, just put it outdoors because gently caress keeping that smell indoors and informed the customer it was a total loss.

drat thing should have been incinerated.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Back when I was repairing CRT monitors, occasionally you'd find a pissy one. Guess cats liked the warmth, and the vents act as a handy urinal.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
you have to understand how little a cat wants to go anywhere besides a litter box. those houses have to be filthy

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I played games with a goon whose PC got used as a urinal by a drunken party guest.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
once in college i was sitting at my friend's smoking weed when his upstairs neighbor came in upset because he got drunk and pissed all over his laptop and it wouldnt boot. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
21sr birthday ended with me (according to someone who walked into my room at that moment) pissing all over the bottom front of my pc and the carpet all around it. Rough night.