Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait do they actually use metric screen dimensions in the EU? Like instead of a MBP16 it’s a MBP40?

There are two things that are still always measured in inches in metric countries. One of them is screen sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Check out my 300mm dick in Cyberman2007

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Lord Bude posted:

There are two things that are still always measured in inches in metric countries. One of them is screen sizes.

I believe there was a difference back in the day of CRT though - in the UK we would measure the tube size while in the US (? maybe somewhere else?) they would measure visible screen size. So UK would say a screen is 28” while the other measurement would be 27”. Maybe someone else can confirm or clarify.

E: to clarify always in inches, just a slightly different way of measuring. Maybe the European change to 16:9 in tube TVs is poisoning my memory tho, because I’m seeing mentions of 27 and 31 inch screens but they’re 4:3 and maybe that’s what caused the difference.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 31, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I used to watch Top Gear UK they still used miles per hour when talking about cars.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes, UK uses MPH. Whether we use imperial or metric or whatever the gently caress is really a guessing game if you don’t grow up there tbh.

Your weight? Stones and pounds
Your foods weight? Grams (I do, anyway)
Measuring short distances? Centimetres and metres
Speed? MPH
Temperature? Centigrade

It’s a clusterfuck really.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I blame the english

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As a Welshman, I tend to blame them for most things.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Always makes me think of this chart.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I’m an American but I’ve switched over to metric for everything except for speed and distance while driving (Speed and distance while walking or hiking or use metric however) and temperature when following recipes. Otherwise everything uses metric.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Small White Dragon posted:

Always makes me think of this chart.

As a Canadian, I-

That chart is pretty completely accurate with how we do things, however we use a metric cup, defined as 250mL (~8.5 fl. Oz.), not 236 (8 fl. Oz.).
The bakery I worked at predated Canada's adoption of the metric system, so everything there was done in pounds and ounces.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 31, 2020

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy is doing some big discounts on their "open box - satisfactory" Macbok Pro M1 models in some stores. Down to $950 depending on location.
You'll need to check on the site and click on "Buying Options" and it should show anything in your area
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/macboo...odel~Apple%20M1

I think the Airs are discounted too.

Interesting, every used one that comes up around here is labeled as “demo model on display” which seems like pretty quick to get rid of display models.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do Apple GPU drivers support variable and high refresh rates for third party displays? Do their own displays support it?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Somebody with SwitchRes and an M1 could probably tell you.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Hope this is the proper thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a Mac-friendly NAS? I hooked a decent SSD to my AirPort Extreme but it's slow as poo poo if my Mac is on Wireless. The Airport's HD is for Time Machine which works fine. I want to have something that I can keep files on centrally between my machines, ideally something fault tolerant.

TIA

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Doctor Zero posted:

Hope this is the proper thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a Mac-friendly NAS? I hooked a decent SSD to my AirPort Extreme but it's slow as poo poo if my Mac is on Wireless. The Airport's HD is for Time Machine which works fine. I want to have something that I can keep files on centrally between my machines, ideally something fault tolerant.

TIA

Probably the lowest-end one that will both be reliable and won't annoy the poo poo out of you would be the Synology DS220j. Synology is general is about the gold standard for NASes you don't have to babysit (and that past the most basic ones are also useful as general-purpose servers), though their product line is an awful mess of fiddly differences between models.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Do Apple GPU drivers support variable and high refresh rates for third party displays? Do their own displays support it?

Variable, not sure. High refresh, yes. Apple’s display is 60 hz with no VRR, from what I know but I’m not positive.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Lord Stimperor posted:

Maybe that is an option. Mac OS keeps bugging me with accounts that it wants me to log in but maybe I can just opt out of that. And a fresh setup might also be a little bit smoother. I'll try that before side grading to Linux, thanks.

IMO a Mac is actually pretty doable without apple accounts. You don’t need the App Store for most apps, and if you don’t use anything from iCloud I don’t think anything is really going to make you.
I think stuff like photos is going to suggest cloud features but pretty sure that works fine as a local only photos app if that’s how you want to roll

You *can* use an iPhone without iCloud but you’re definitely going to want an App Store account logged in. You could technically use it without an App Store account but it’ll be almost a 2008 experience of only built-in apps.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Somebody with SwitchRes and an M1 could probably tell you.

Oh I meant in general not just Apple silicon GPU but the AMD drivers as well.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Roadie posted:

Probably the lowest-end one that will both be reliable and won't annoy the poo poo out of you would be the Synology DS220j. Synology is general is about the gold standard for NASes you don't have to babysit (and that past the most basic ones are also useful as general-purpose servers), though their product line is an awful mess of fiddly differences between models.

Cool thanks. I was looking at that and looked at all the options for different models and figured I’d ask here. Glad I was on the right track.

:wotwot:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
My old Thinkpad finally showed it's age when I noticed that my secondary battery on it started bulging. Took this as a sign to come back to Apple for a bit and just ordered a Macbook Air M1 and try the new poo poo. The 3-4 week wait is gonna suck on account of specing for 16GB of "Unified Memory"...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

EL BROMANCE posted:

I believe there was a difference back in the day of CRT though - in the UK we would measure the tube size while in the US (? maybe somewhere else?) they would measure visible screen size. So UK would say a screen is 28” while the other measurement would be 27”. Maybe someone else can confirm or clarify.

E: to clarify always in inches, just a slightly different way of measuring. Maybe the European change to 16:9 in tube TVs is poisoning my memory tho, because I’m seeing mentions of 27 and 31 inch screens but they’re 4:3 and maybe that’s what caused the difference.

In Italy it has always been diagonal measured in inches, be it crt or lcd, but it was measured at the chassis and not the viewable area, old crts or lcd could have bigger values than modern ones with more screen estate.

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

Got an M1 mini as my PC’s graphic card is starting to die. I have Shadow PC for gaming now and really only play rdr2 anyways. Well an hdmi to dvi adapter wouldn’t work with my monitor, just got a black screen. Apparently this a bug as there’a lots of people online having problems with adapters that they didn’t have with previous Macs. I said gently caress it and got a monitor with hdmi and some USB A ports. Just a heads up for anyone stuck with an ancient monitor.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I was thinking about waiting until next year to buy the second generation of M1 Macbooks. Maybe it would be even more refined. Crazy I bought a 2020 MBP right in the middle of the year when I could have just waited 6 months.

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

As a Welshman, I tend to blame them for most things.

What the gently caress, I've been replying to someone who isn't American?!?!?!

Violator
May 15, 2003

Anyone have any experience with replacing individual keys on a butterfly keyboard? I have a 2018 MBP and I'm apparently loving gross and don't trim my nails well enough, and my thumbnail rubs on the left CMD key so much that I've worn a hole through the black paint. There's nothing wrong with it outside of a big white spot in the center of the key, but if I can replace it for like $0.50 for a new key off eBay that would be great. But since the keys are embedded in the case I'm not sure if this is possible.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Three Olives posted:

How does Apple's shipping process work? They pulled the funds out of my account for my M1 16GB Mini but I ordered it days ago and it still shows an arrival date of January 15th. I feel like my past experience with Apple is they only charged your card when shipping was imminent.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

My old Thinkpad finally showed it's age when I noticed that my secondary battery on it started bulging. Took this as a sign to come back to Apple for a bit and just ordered a Macbook Air M1 and try the new poo poo. The 3-4 week wait is gonna suck on account of specing for 16GB of "Unified Memory"...

Ordered a Mini 16GB 256G on the 23rd and given a ship date of the 15th, shipped yesterday and it is in AK now. Apple even quoted me a delivery date of the 7th but UPS has it scheduled for Monday and I suspect that is only because of the holiday.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Violator posted:

Anyone have any experience with replacing individual keys on a butterfly keyboard? I have a 2018 MBP and I'm apparently loving gross and don't trim my nails well enough, and my thumbnail rubs on the left CMD key so much that I've worn a hole through the black paint. There's nothing wrong with it outside of a big white spot in the center of the key, but if I can replace it for like $0.50 for a new key off eBay that would be great. But since the keys are embedded in the case I'm not sure if this is possible.

Everything I have heard about the butterfly
Keyboards is they are not user serviceable. A workmate took a key off to clean out some lint thinking it would just snap back on like the older scissor key switches and they do not. She had to take it to the Apple store to get a whole new keyboard

Violator
May 15, 2003

Granite Octopus posted:

Everything I have heard about the butterfly
Keyboards is they are not user serviceable. A workmate took a key off to clean out some lint thinking it would just snap back on like the older scissor key switches and they do not. She had to take it to the Apple store to get a whole new keyboard

Woof. I’ll just wait until things open up again and take it in and see if they can do it. Thanks for the info, that’s what I was worried about.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

This is going to sound incredibly silly I am sure, but in the era of T2, the secure enclave and TouchID, are there any 3rd party fingerprint readers that work with current MacOS hardware? My search is coming up empty.

I'm guessing not but I am growing very tired of entering my password all the time to access all my passwords that are growing increasingly complex by the day for various services.

How does Apple not sell a keyboard with TouchID? I would literally just pay $200 for one without thinking. Hell, $400 for one with a Touch Bar, why the gently caress not?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 2, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Buy an Apple Watch instead

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have one, it doesn't seem to want to reliable unlock my MacBook Air for all the things, maybe it will be better with my M1.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Three Olives posted:

This is going to sound incredibly silly I am sure, but in the era of T2, the secure enclave and TouchID, are there any 3rd party fingerprint readers that work with current MacOS hardware? My search is coming up empty.

I'm guessing not but I am growing very tired of entering my password all the time to access all my passwords that are growing increasingly complex by the day for various services.

How does Apple not sell a keyboard with TouchID? I would literally just pay $200 for one without thinking. Hell, $400 for one with a Touch Bar, why the gently caress not?

The reason Apple doesn't sell a separate keyboard with TouchID is that they require some kind of close pairing (cryptographic?) between the TouchID sensor and the Apple chip with the secure enclave. They don't want touch ID to be man-in-the-middled, and that's not very compatible with a keyboard you can just plug and unplug.

Perhaps they're going to solve that issue in the future, but for now it's not possible.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I wonder if new iMacs will have Face ID? It wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why do the M1 MBA/MBP only have 2 USB-C ports when the Intel ones have 4? At least for the 13" ones.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why do the M1 MBA/MBP only have 2 USB-C ports when the Intel ones have 4? At least for the 13" ones.

The Intel MBA had two, as did the low-end 13” MBP. I think you can expect the M1X (or whatever it will be called) MacBooks, the 16” and high end 13” (maybe a bump to 14”?), to come with four ports

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

They still sell the 4-port Intel MBP, the M1 replaced the cheaper 2-port introduced in 2017.
MBA never had 4 ports (and used to only have 1!)

Mac Mini was a legitimate downgrade of ports but I'm curious if when they update the other MBP they introduce another tier Mac Mini with more power and ports.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Mac Mini was a legitimate downgrade of ports but I'm curious if when they update the other MBP they introduce another tier Mac Mini with more power and ports.

My bet is they will, given that they’ve kept the high-tier Intel Mini around for now. There’s a ton of empty space and repurposed components in the M1 model (for instance they use the same PSU which is way overkill).

My guess is either a higher end mini comes out in the same enclosure, but with a more appropriate number of ports, or the whole Mini line gets an overhaul with the introduction of the higher spec model.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

New newer Minu seems doubtful, especially right away, Apple tends to not fuss with the Mini once they pinch out a model.

At most they'll just mutter 'buy a hub' if you need extra ports.

The 2018s had four TB3 ports. To reduce it to two TB3s and two USB ports seems to be rather lovely to me.

I still wish they'd retained the SDXC slot that they kept right up to the 2018 models, not that I'd be booting a Plex server off of it but it was drat useful now that SDXC cards with lots of storage got cheaper..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can’t wait for people to start over clocking Apple desktop silicon.