Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Probably going to like, do something. lovely poster, lovely person. I hate myself, I hate everything. Cheers. Don't PM me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dolphin posted:

Probably going to like, do something. lovely poster, lovely person. I hate myself, I hate everything. Cheers. Don't PM me.

On the off chance you check back in here figuring out why you were probated, please reach out to someone if you're actively planning suicide. It's not worth it. :smith:

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

There's a lot going on here that would do well to be explored by an honest visit with a psychiatrist, a psychologist, and a social worker.

My general impression is that your sibling would be somewhat reactionary to any sort of even light handed intervention. It also sounds like in interactions in therapy they are more interested in warping the therapist to condone their lifestyle as opposed to allowing the therapist to ameliorate their problematic cognitions so as to allow them to better fit into society. There's a good amount of substance abuse issues that would be better addressed by a psychiatrist and a substance abuse counselor, along with just a general psychiatric work up to get a firm diagnosis. However, it also sounds like your sibling would not be a terribly reliable narrator as to their problems and knows enough of the psychiatric interactions to get whatever diagnosis they want (read: HB getting massive Borderline Personality Disorder vibes).

It sounds like something of a complicated case. Without knowing where the sibling resides and the corresponding statutes, if you honestly believe they pose a threat to themselves I would genuinely recommend seeking an emergency detention. It's not pretty and will likely result in the siblings having a lot of negative feelings towards you, but at the same time it sounds like there is a general misery and at a certain point you have to decide what misery you can live with.

At any rate, best of luck. Family members / friends with treatment resistant psychiatric disorders is a tough one.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
It sucks when family members won't get the help they desperately need. My mom has had BPD all her life, and it (among other issues) has wrecked our family's safety and pushed me away. :sigh:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Dolphin posted:

I hope you are safe, OP. Please don't do anything that can't be undone.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I hope you are safe, OP. Please don't do anything that can't be undone.

they are still posting :)

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014
While waiting for Covid test results, I had almost an entire day where I could breathe without actively forcing myself to. Breathing should normally be a semi-automatic thing, right? I had to keep forcing myself to inhale, and I was freaking the hell out because I couldn't tell whether or not this was what people meant when they talk about "shortness of breath." Being the terminally online person that I am, I started constantly searching through different health websites to explain what I was feeling, but couldn't find something that made sense to me. It made me realize just how many of these "medical" websites were just literally copy/pasting the CDC description of Covid-19 without adding any additional context or information.

I was trying to explain myself to a friend, and they said "what if that's just anxiety?" At first I pushed back on that idea, because my brain refuses to listen to someone else sometimes, but later on I was laying in bed trying to let myself fall asleep. After what must have been the fifth or sixth time that I didn't inhale for almost 10 seconds because my body wouldn't take over for itself, I said out loud, "this might just be an anxiety attack." And, somehow, that verbalization of it felt like I'd taken a weight off of my chest. I was shocked, honestly - I thought I knew what my anxiety felt like, and it hadn't been like that before!

It made me realize just how close to the breaking point I've been for the last several months, and that this was the tipping-over point. I realized that I had to stop assuming that I could "do this on my own," and that I should try medication for the first time in my life. I have a telehealth appointment set for next week, and I'm hoping that I can try out some kind of anxiety prescription, to see if that can help calm my brain down.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Qoey posted:

It made me realize just how close to the breaking point I've been for the last several months, and that this was the tipping-over point. I realized that I had to stop assuming that I could "do this on my own," and that I should try medication for the first time in my life. I have a telehealth appointment set for next week, and I'm hoping that I can try out some kind of anxiety prescription, to see if that can help calm my brain down.

If you're the type that can get a lot of help from books I would highly recommend checking out Jon Kabat-Zinn's 'Full Catastrophe Living' and 'Wherever You Go, There You Are'.

FCL is the foundational work of the mindfulness based stress reduction (MBSR) program that has about a high an efficacy for stress reduction as any medication or therapy, the book itself includes the outline of the program that you can implement in your daily life. WYGTYA is a bunch of different mindfulness exercises that you can just try out on a day-to-day basis.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Hilario Baldness posted:

If you're the type that can get a lot of help from books I would highly recommend checking out Jon Kabat-Zinn's 'Full Catastrophe Living' and 'Wherever You Go, There You Are'.

FCL is the foundational work of the mindfulness based stress reduction (MBSR) program that has about a high an efficacy for stress reduction as any medication or therapy, the book itself includes the outline of the program that you can implement in your daily life. WYGTYA is a bunch of different mindfulness exercises that you can just try out on a day-to-day basis.

I appreciate the recommendations. I do get a lot from books, Thich Nhat Hanh being one of the main people who's helped me before. I haven't heard of Full Catastrophe Living before, so that's definitely something I'm going to check out. Many thanks :)

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Hey man, It's New Years eve.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

happy new year, mental health thread. here's to surviving another year.

my new years resolution is to become more self-sustaining and develop a stronger habit of self-soothing when things get bad

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Happy new years to all my fellow serotonin starved brain havers.

My goal is to commit to an IOP group and actually finish it this time and not just ghost when I feel I have learned enough.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
how do i not feel suicidal at the news articles saying "it will take 10 years at the current vaccination rate to actually innoculate enough of the us population against covid for it to matter" and similar headlines

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just want to be able to see my loving girlfriend who lives on the other side of the country i think thats a reasonable ask

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Kanine posted:

i just want to be able to see my loving girlfriend who lives on the other side of the country i think thats a reasonable ask

I'd like to see my dad with stage IV lung cancer before he dies wihtout killing my mom in the process

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

skaboomizzy posted:

I'd like to see my dad with stage IV lung cancer before he dies wihtout killing my mom in the process

that is also very reasonable yes

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
happy new years, cspam. i hope this one is less bad than the last

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

This isn't a metal health thing but there's no general screaming into the void thread so gently caress it I'm literally laying here next to one of my cats actually dieing and there is nothing I can do. She's just gasping for breath and all the vets are closed and the only emergency one is so far away and I wouldn't even have the cash gently caress my life I cant stop crying

thanks for listening

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Whitenoise Poster posted:

This isn't a metal health thing but there's no general screaming into the void thread so gently caress it I'm literally laying here next to one of my cats actually dieing and there is nothing I can do. She's just gasping for breath and all the vets are closed and the only emergency one is so far away and I wouldn't even have the cash gently caress my life I cant stop crying

thanks for listening

nah it fits in the thread friend, praying that your cat ends up in a better place :(

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Dongicus posted:

https://twitter.com/firagawalkwthme/status/1344806217063960576

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I got my CPAP machine set up and slept for 9 wonderful hours without waking up. Is this what people feel like all the time??

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Consummate Professional posted:

I got my CPAP machine set up and slept for 9 wonderful hours without waking up. Is this what people feel like all the time??

yeah it’s loving cheat codes. my first day after sleeping with a cpap was hilarious cause it turns out I didn’t need max dose vyvanse. did so much cleaning and studying.

also be aware of sleep debt, brain is going to be pissed it wasn’t getting real sleep and will now come to collect. use the cpap every night and even when you nap. don’t get sad you don’t feel as good as today it’s a journey.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

thanks for listening

hey I had to do this myself years ago and it sucks

but keep in mind that your kitty knows you were there and you were caring for her, and that means everything

death sucks, but you being there and caring is so much better than what many people do to their pets, and is the right thing to do

I hope it went okay as it could, and your kitty is resting in a better world now.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

KidDynamite posted:

yeah it’s loving cheat codes. my first day after sleeping with a cpap was hilarious cause it turns out I didn’t need max dose vyvanse. did so much cleaning and studying.

also be aware of sleep debt, brain is going to be pissed it wasn’t getting real sleep and will now come to collect. use the cpap every night and even when you nap. don’t get sad you don’t feel as good as today it’s a journey.

echoing all of this, also learn the joys of burrowing under all your blankets with your cpap on and feeling cozy and comfortable like a bed scuba diver

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Kanine posted:

how do i not feel suicidal at the news articles saying "it will take 10 years at the current vaccination rate to actually innoculate enough of the us population against covid for it to matter" and similar headlines

I imagine the vaccination rate will go up after delivery systems improve and more vaccines get developed

......right?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Yossarian-22 posted:

I imagine the vaccination rate will go up after delivery systems improve and more vaccines get developed

......right?

that sounds expensive, who's gonna pay for it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dongicus posted:

Really? You include the mental health thread to cross-spam, of all places? :rolleyes:

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Jan 2, 2021

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kanine posted:

Key word is "at the current vaccination rate." Cleaning up Trump's bullshit will accelerate that curve. Biden's said he's going to order more money devoted to it through presidential emergencies powers, and I may not like him, but I do believe him. Here's hoping this post doesn't age poorly :v:

thanks for listening

I'm really sorry about your cat. We lost one of ours to leukemia in November because gently caress 2020. :smith:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Thanks for the kind words guys. She passed sometime around 9 am, a hour before my sister could show up and take her to the emergency vet to at least be put down if nothing else.. Some of the worst hours of my life. I've never felt more useless and helpless in my life. The only thing having me believe I helped at all is the fact that despite not being able to move more then a couple of steps without having to catch her breath she somehow got one last burst of energy to leave the spot we had set up for her near where my mother could keep an eye on her to climb the stairs to my room where she collapse next to me until it was over. I would of cut off my arm for a syringe of morphine or whatever it is they use to help sick pets pass on but we don't live in that world. At least it's over now.

Goodbye Rin. We'll miss you. Wish I took more pictures. I'll have to get some from my sister.

edit: and the worst part is I still have no idea why. She went from perfectly fine around 10 to sick around 11 on Wednesday to dead of Friday morning.

Whitenoise Poster has issued a correction as of 05:41 on Jan 2, 2021

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm so sorry about Rin. I'm sure you gave her life of fun, security and plenty that a great many cats will never know.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014
My deepest condolences, Whitenoise. Cats are remarkable like that, aren't they? Such wonderful little creatures. I hope that you can take the time to breathe and say your goodbyes in a way that feels like healing to you

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

my slightly less than two weeks of not being miserable have ended and it's back to intrusive thoughts and being unable to feel joy for me :argh:

welp guess i'll keep taking the meds and hope for the best, again

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
so sorry about your cat passing and the level of trauma with it, at least they were with you at the end, condolences friend

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Someone in the YOSPOS cat thread took in a sick street kitten that passed within in a day

All we can do for our critters is keep them safe and comfortable for as long as we can, whether it's twenty years or one day

Cats in particular are notorious for seeming totally fine and then just... not

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Edit: Nvm, calmed myself down.

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 17:24 on Jan 2, 2021

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

skaboomizzy posted:

Someone in the YOSPOS cat thread took in a sick street kitten that passed within in a day

All we can do for our critters is keep them safe and comfortable for as long as we can, whether it's twenty years or one day

Cats in particular are notorious for seeming totally fine and then just... not

When my first cat died I was devastated. Within maybe a week I was really feeling how empty my home seemed without her around and I started having thoughts about getting another cat from our local rescue centre. I immediately felt incredibly guilty, like I was dishonouring her memory or being disrespectful to fact that she had died.

Let me pass on some good advice that a friend gave me at the time:

gently caress that. If you feel ready to home another cat then do it. Animal rescue centres have more cats than they can home and are desperate for people like you to give a cat a loving home. The best way to honour her memory is to keep caring for cats and to save one that might be put down if not for you.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think I can take how many more years of this will last. My "holiday" was exactly the same as my working days: stuck at home, binging podcasts and not cooking not cleaning. Even if the vaccine comes, I think I am irreversibly agoraphobic. Is life just going to be this, forever?

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 23:10 on Jan 2, 2021

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Thanks for the kind words guys. She passed sometime around 9 am, a hour before my sister could show up and take her to the emergency vet to at least be put down if nothing else.. Some of the worst hours of my life. I've never felt more useless and helpless in my life. The only thing having me believe I helped at all is the fact that despite not being able to move more then a couple of steps without having to catch her breath she somehow got one last burst of energy to leave the spot we had set up for her near where my mother could keep an eye on her to climb the stairs to my room where she collapse next to me until it was over. I would of cut off my arm for a syringe of morphine or whatever it is they use to help sick pets pass on but we don't live in that world. At least it's over now.

Goodbye Rin. We'll miss you. Wish I took more pictures. I'll have to get some from my sister.

edit: and the worst part is I still have no idea why. She went from perfectly fine around 10 to sick around 11 on Wednesday to dead of Friday morning.

Cats are very good at hiding it when things go wrong. Romeo had leukemia for probably a year, year and a half before he finally showed signs, and by then it was way too late. When it was clear it was time to go, I spent the night out in the front room sleeping next to his bed, then we put him down the next morning. That night alone, just having him next to me, made it easier. Not easy, but easier.

My point is, I know it hurts a ton and it doesn't help right now, but keep this in mind: she didn't go alone. You were there for her the entire time. It's something.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AceOfFlames posted:

I don't think I can take how many more years of this will last. My "holiday" was exactly the same as my working days: stuck at home, binging podcasts and not cooking not cleaning. Even if the vaccine comes, I think I am irreversibly agoraphobic. Is life just going to be this, forever?

No. Things will eventually change. For the better or worse, who knows? But it'll change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
how do you not feel hopeless and suicidal when youve had your 10th argument about leftism and you keep seeing people you thought were cool turn out to be terfs/nazbols/rapists/etc.

how do you not spiral and have complete existential dread at the realization that no matter what you're probably going to die from climate change, poverty, lack of access to healthcare, some combination thereof.

it feels like literally the only thing keeping me going right now is that if i killed myself my family and girlfriend would be destroyed. i know that makes me luckier than most