Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I just installed Volumio, has web UI and phone apps, on a spare RPi3 and it detects my Plex server via DLNA. Haven't played with it since I use Airsonic for my music but you could try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Atomizer posted:

I kind of see what you're going for, you have the old phones as dedicated remotes, and generally I use old phones like that for a similar purpose, as dedicated audio streaming media players. The advantage of Chromecast, however, is that you can cast to them from any supported device on their network, meaning that individual users, say houseguests, could just use their own devices. The only advantage your setup would have is if your devices are set up with access to your media sources, so you wouldn't have to be at all concerned with giving other people access. If you're just using Chromecast, however, keep in mind that the devices aren't actually streaming, they're handing off the stream to the Chromecast, and the phones or whatever are solely remote controls.

With that in mind, I don't know of any phones with built-in IR blasters, nor how that would even fit into your setup. You want the phone to also be able to power on the TV without having to use the original remote? I think I've seen add-on IR blasters for smartphones, and I think there's some Logitech Harmony or similar devices that connect the included remote to an IR blaster, but then in that case it requires the use of a separate remote. Unless I'm missing something here about what you're actually trying to achieve, your simplest setup is just going to be to set out the original TV remote in each room and then use your singular smartphone as the remote, as necessary.

I just find it easier to have a phone setup with all the streaming apps rather than using my own phone for it. I was not actually aware that the phone basically just gave the command to the chromecast. I use these for streaming audio as well.

As I said....the last phone I had with an IR blaster was the Galaxy S5. I think Samsung's last phone with them was the S6. I just wasn't sure how compatible they were with everything.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Anyone else recently having issues remote streaming?

I have 2 or 3 remote users that are just starting having some non-stop buffering issues. They are all direct playing lower bitrate 1080p. Monitoring things via Plex/Tautulli shows no bottlenecks. Kicking down the stream quality still has the same issue (even though the server has ample resources to transcode).

Users are coming from different ISPs and different streaming devices (LG OLED client, Roku Ultra client).

About 15 other remote users are having no issues. Had the problematic end users run some speed tests, their internet connections are all fine speed wise.

Edit: Also got a Shield Pro as a client on my home network. Zero issues doing bitstreaming of TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. I finally have some sweet 4k/HDR/fancy audio playback over my LAN. Still is a shame a Roku Ultra (I have 2x of them) cannot do that poo poo.

Moey fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 22, 2020

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wrap it up you felon Plex-ailures

https://news.avclub.com/somehow-congress-lackuster-covid-19-stimulus-bill-woul-1845930857

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Seeing how clueless congress is about how the internet works, my guess this is to mainly target illegal IPTV streams.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lets hope the wording is vague enough to arrest everyone at the GOP who repeatedly use music they have not paid for at their stupid conventions.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Edit: Wrong thread

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Moey posted:

I tried watching a 1080p movie last night and it was stuttering garbage, so I went back to my cartoons playlist and it was fine.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Dumb question time: Is there a way to remove someone from my Plex server if they have access via username/pass instead of the 'add a friend' library sharing feature? I didn't realize that was a thing when I first set up my server, so I logged in on my roommates' computers. One of them has since moved out and, not unlike resetting one's Netflix when too many find access to it, I think I want to rescind it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
You could go into authorized devices and remove the one. They will have to re log in, so change your password if they know it.

(Your plex):32400/web/index.html#!/settings/devices/all should work I think.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Change your password.

efb- what deong said.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 23, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

deong posted:

You could go into authorized devices and remove the one. They will have to re log in, so change your password if they know it.

(Your plex):32400/web/index.html#!/settings/devices/all should work I think.

https://app.plex.tv/web... Will work if your local dns stuff is setup to allow overrides.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

E: nm

cr0y fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 23, 2020

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Moey posted:

I have 2 or 3 remote users that are just starting having some non-stop buffering issues. They are all direct playing lower bitrate 1080p. Monitoring things via Plex/Tautulli shows no bottlenecks. Kicking down the stream quality still has the same issue (even though the server has ample resources to transcode).

Users are coming from different ISPs and different streaming devices (LG OLED client, Roku Ultra client).

About 15 other remote users are having no issues. Had the problematic end users run some speed tests, their internet connections are all fine speed wise.

Edit: Also got a Shield Pro as a client on my home network. Zero issues doing bitstreaming of TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. I finally have some sweet 4k/HDR/fancy audio playback over my LAN. Still is a shame a Roku Ultra (I have 2x of them) cannot do that poo poo.

Any of the media x265? That’s the usual suspect.

Best behaved playback devices have tended to be Nvidia Shield Pro, Apple TV, and consoles I believe.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wouldn’t personally put consoles in that list, I constantly see moaning about the PS4 and the 5 minutes I messed with the XSX client were pretty bad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've had nothing but issues with Plex on an Xbox One S as well, and personally would never recommend consoles as a primary client for Plex.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wouldn’t personally put consoles in that list, I constantly see moaning about the PS4 and the 5 minutes I messed with the XSX client were pretty bad.

teagone posted:

I've had nothing but issues with Plex on an Xbox One S as well, and personally would never recommend consoles as a primary client for Plex.

Fair enough. I thought I’d gotten it working on by Xbox One with an app but it’s been a while. I also only have one TV and we use the Apple TV for basically all viewing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

rufius posted:

Fair enough. I thought I’d gotten it working on by Xbox One with an app but it’s been a while. I also only have one TV and we use the Apple TV for basically all viewing.

I use Rokus and have 0 problems with Ultras. I very very occasionally have problems with non-ultras. This has been my experience the entire time I've used plex for what...5+ years now it seems?

I've tried other clients. On android, on smart TVs. On other poo poo that people had around. It's always been subpar to a Roku. There was a decently long period of time that the ONLY think my rokus did was run the plex client. That's what I bought them to do.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

rufius posted:

The One S Plex client is prone to buffering for unknown reasons even when the server and One S are hardwired and the devs refuse to address it—they claim it's an issue on Microsoft's end so :shrug:

Roku and Apple TV both have provided the most stable/consistently well-performing Plex clients for me. The Shield also gets a lot of praise, but I've never used one.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

One of my users was on PS4 and got buffering no matter what, even on a wired connection. He got a Samsung SmartTV which has plex installed and has had an issue since.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

rufius posted:

Any of the media x265? That’s the usual suspect.

Best behaved playback devices have tended to be Nvidia Shield Pro, Apple TV, and consoles I believe.

It's all x264, existing things that have never had an issue. Existing clients that have never had an issue.

I'm still not finding anything to blame here. I'll have to loop back with one of the people to do some deeper troubleshooting, it's bizarre though.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Moey posted:

It's all x264, existing things that have never had an issue. Existing clients that have never had an issue.

I'm still not finding anything to blame here. I'll have to loop back with one of the people to do some deeper troubleshooting, it's bizarre though.

Did you upgrade Plex recently? Anything change with your internet? Anything chang with their internet?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

rufius posted:

Did you upgrade Plex recently? Anything change with your internet? Anything chang with their internet?

I keep my Plex server up to date (but it didn't seem to start happening after an update, and updates since have not resolved it). Home internet no changes (nor my firewall). Their internet hasn't changed either.

So far it's 2 or 3 remote clients out of like 25.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Actually having an interesting time fine-tuning encodes for my parents' place out in rural bumfuck where 4 megabits/sec is pretty much the ceiling. Set up a non-4K FireTV Stick and have encodes going with the following settings which seem to work well:

720p using 8-bit x265 (10-bit isn't supported on the non-4K FireTV)
2-pass encoding at 3 megabits/sec average so there's a little leeway (I have the video at 2800 megabits/sec to leave room for audio)
A vbv-maxrate of 3 megabits and a buffer size of 10 megabits
Audio at ~128kbps AAC Stereo (while rare, if I do multiple audio tracks I lower the video bitrate average a comparable amount)
Subtitles either burned in or, if optional, in SRT format

Just encoding at Medium speed using Handbrake. Not sure if there are any other settings or adjustments worth investigating

I used a Dolby Atmos demo disc for quick encode tests since there were action-packed 2-minute trailers for the tech on it, although my first encode was botched because it encoded with the core Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track and it turns out that just has a dude politely saying "hey you've got your poo poo setup wrong" on repeat.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Does TV intro detection with Plex Pass require transcoding? I run my server off a Pi 4 which doesn't currently support HW transcoding (why is this not a thing yet?) and intro detections seems to take forever (like an entire day for a few episodes). Might just disable the feature if that's the case.

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 28, 2020

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It doesn't transcode, but it is a moderately intense process. I can imagine it would kick over a Pi 4, though just about anything else that can be a server is fine. If your server can deal with only one transcode, it will take about a minute to run through a series.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Oh man, I redid my setup to start using Radarr 3 and I configured it to use the Kodi/Embry metadata. That was a loving mistake because now all of my thousands of Plex movies have the absolute dirt worst fan art posters instead of the normal theatrical posters I've been using as I've added movies over the years. Not only are these posters ugly as poo poo, but I've found a couple that are the wrong movie.

Edit: And Plex is also using the NFO files that Radarr generated from this terrible metadata so now some of the movie info is wrong too.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Violator posted:

Oh man, I redid my setup to start using Radarr 3 and I configured it to use the Kodi/Embry metadata. That was a loving mistake because now all of my thousands of Plex movies have the absolute dirt worst fan art posters instead of the normal theatrical posters I've been using as I've added movies over the years. Not only are these posters ugly as poo poo, but I've found a couple that are the wrong movie.

Edit: And Plex is also using the NFO files that Radarr generated from this terrible metadata so now some of the movie info is wrong too.

What are you using as your agent?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Burden posted:

What are you using as your agent?

I just tried dragging Plex Movie (Legacy) and The Movie Database above the Local Media Assets so that hopefully it pulls from those instead of the local files that are lovely. I'll give it a little time to see if it updates to better values. Here's what I had as of a few minute ago:

Plex:

Personal Media:
Personal Media
Local Media Assets

Plex Movie (Legacy):
Local Media Assets
Plex Movie (Legacy)

The Movie Database:
Local Media Assets
The Movie Database

Radarr:
Kodi/Emby (now turned off)

Violator fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 30, 2020

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Violator posted:

I just tried dragging Plex Movie (Legacy) and The Movie Database above the Local Media Assets so that hopefully it pulls from those instead of the local files that are lovely. I'll give it a little time to see if it updates to better values. Here's what I had as of a few minute ago:

That should fix the issue.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Burden posted:

That should fix the issue.

Out of curiosity, and I know this is the wrong thread, should I turn off the metadata in Radarr? Or should I ask in the Usenet thread?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve never really noticed the metadata in radarr doing anything personally. XBMC/Kodi utilizes that stuff but Plex never bothered to. Maybe this has changed in the years I last messed with that, would be intrigued to know if anyone has seen any positive effects.

Editing nfo files was always kinda useful but I’m not convinced I miss it.

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
Picked up a QNAP TS-230 NAS, threw in a 10TB WD drive, and copied all of my media over to it. How to I point my Plex media libraries to the folders on the NAS? If I click "browse for media folder", it doesn't populate the network location. If I manually put in the network address, "\\NAS40CCF8\home\Movies" for example, saving changes results in "your changes could not be saved".

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Praxis Prion posted:

Picked up a QNAP TS-230 NAS, threw in a 10TB WD drive, and copied all of my media over to it. How to I point my Plex media libraries to the folders on the NAS? If I click "browse for media folder", it doesn't populate the network location. If I manually put in the network address, "\\NAS40CCF8\home\Movies" for example, saving changes results in "your changes could not be saved".

You will have to mount the network folder as a drive letter, I'm assuming you're using Windows? If so open File Explorer and hit the "Computer" tab along the top bar, there's a "Map Network Drive" option right there.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

univbee posted:

You will have to mount the network folder as a drive letter, I'm assuming you're using Windows? If so open File Explorer and hit the "Computer" tab along the top bar, there's a "Map Network Drive" option right there.

I'll put this in the same column as "Plex won't run as a Windows service" to suggest the devs support windows servers only grudgingly

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Praxis Prion posted:

Honestly, I’d suggest just running Plex off the QNAP unless you expect to be transcoding a lot.

Your best setup, ideally, is to be doing Direct Play wherever possible. In that configuration, the QNAP is just shoveling bits.

If you have to transcode then, like others said, you need to create the mount point.

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
I'm currently running the Plex server on an Nvidia Shield TV. I could swap it to the NAS though, if necessary.

I had already mapped the "\\NAS40CCF8\home\" location as D:\ . That's as far as my PC is concerned though. I still can't seem to point Plex to it, however.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Praxis Prion posted:

I'm currently running the Plex server on an Nvidia Shield TV. I could swap it to the NAS though, if necessary.

I had already mapped the "\\NAS40CCF8\home\" location as D:\ . That's as far as my PC is concerned though. I still can't seem to point Plex to it, however.

Ya in this case, I think it’s easiest to just put Plex on the NAS.

The Nvidia Shield should be able to Direct Play nearly everything. This will simplify the dependencies and Plex runs well on most QNAP appliances in my experience (I’ve owned 3) as long as you’re not forcing transcoding.

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
I will look into that, thanks!

Also, for what it's worth, I learned the Shield can mount network locations as well, buried in the storage settings. This allowed the locations to finally show up.

edit: But for whatever reason, the files don't show up when scanning the library, even though it can see the folders now. Maybe a permissions issue? I think I'm just going to move the Plex server onto the NAS.

Praxis Prion fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Praxis Prion posted:

I will look into that, thanks!

Also, for what it's worth, I learned the Shield can mount network locations as well, buried in the storage settings. This allowed the locations to finally show up.

edit: But for whatever reason, the files don't show up when scanning the library, even though it can see the folders now. Maybe a permissions issue? I think I'm just going to move the Plex server onto the NAS.

I have a SAN (an old windows desktop with a few USB drives hanging off of it. Yes I know its lazy) and yeah I just mount the share in the Shield's storage setting. Did it ask you for a username or password? I guess enable full or read/write and see if the files show up. If not then what is your folder structure like?