Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

some nice demonstrations and history of something you might be interested in but never have thought about : how early Europeans made their pottery?

Arranged in approximately chronological order

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrI1LJbKIvk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZJWDYjbdc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-uQUWPyPys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJN4z0hXFwk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbCce1kPU90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've noticed more and more museums, organizations, etc. using 3d scanned objects viewable online as a way to reach the public.

I'm really curious if anyone in the thread can talk about the role that 3d scanning plays into historiography/archaeology now in general?

Obviously it's not the same as seeing the object or place in real life, but a few years ago I was able to experience some 3d scanned greek ruins in a friends htc vive and it felt like magic.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dalael posted:

Since you guys are talking about Pompei, i'm just going to leave this here. A great 4k video of pompei for those who probably won't be able to go in their lifetimes. Other than the first 2 min where the guy explains the video, it's a silent video. No music, no comments just a nice long walk in the ruins in 4k. The video is 5h long but there are timestamps.

Not mine, just one of many such videos this guy made about historical places. I legit sat through all 5 hours of it and it made me want to go so much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUYJ8LbF1Ys&t=1s

I spent 5 hours walking it this past September and it wasn’t enough. Thanks for finding this. Much better than my random photos of interesting points.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tip for anyone visiting: The cheaper audio guides from outside the entrance is a complete ripoff, they've just stolen the audio from a video tour. Some of the audio clips were just music, presumably accompanied by some interesting text based facts on a 90s VHS.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Kanine posted:

I've noticed more and more museums, organizations, etc. using 3d scanned objects viewable online as a way to reach the public.

I'm really curious if anyone in the thread can talk about the role that 3d scanning plays into historiography/archaeology now in general?

Obviously it's not the same as seeing the object or place in real life, but a few years ago I was able to experience some 3d scanned greek ruins in a friends htc vive and it felt like magic.

What in particular are you curious about, I haven't used/done it myself but I have with peojects or had friends who have been somewhat heavily involved with it.

It's rapidly growing and being used more and more when budget and resources allow, at least in my experince.

There are tons of benefits (preservation, presentation, access, etc) that a well done scan can provide.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

LingcodKilla posted:

I spent 5 hours walking it this past September and it wasn’t enough. Thanks for finding this. Much better than my random photos of interesting points.

If you're interested, this guy has many similar videos all over the world. He's walked through the ruins of Domitian's palace, the Roman Forum, Cairo, Herculanum, Positano, Venice, Civita di Bagnoregio, etc etc...

I haven't had time to watch them all, but all those I watched were very interesting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kanine posted:

It has uses. One thing I've seen is finding an undisturbed tomb, laser scanning it, then sealing it back up to preserve it but still being able to study the scans.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Weka posted:

Anybody have an opinion on the claim the goths descended from the geats?

It's disputed by modern historians. From what I've read it isn't impossible and they might be related. Lots of different germanic tribes spread out from Scandinavia and their names, goths, geats and gutes are all related. Problem is we don't have any evidence for this and the sources are Roman authors who write hundreds of years later. The gothic languages and the Scandinavian ones are also different branches of the germanic language family which suggests they split really early or that they aren't connected.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

It's a lot smaller and it's down in a pit. It's a better preserved site but Pompeii is more spectacular. It's not just modern views either, Pompeii was a major-ish city and Herculaneum was a little resort town.

Also lots of it is still buried underneath the modern town, to judge by what I saw when I was there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Also lots of it is still buried underneath the modern town, to judge by what I saw when I was there.

Yeah, less than a quarter of it is excavated. Partly because it's under Ercolano, partly because it's so hard to excavate. Pompeii was buried under loose ash and pumice so you can do it with a shovel. Herculaneum was covered with hot mud that turned into rock, so you have to dig with jackhammers. It's a nightmare.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Pompeii is like 8 feet below the surface vs ~80 feet for Herculaneum

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Grand Fromage posted:

Herculaneum was covered with hot mud that turned into rock, so you have to dig with jackhammers. It's a nightmare.

Sounds kinda like we could introduce a theory where it wasn't the volcano that did Herculaneum in but a timetraveling Taco Bell.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm at Herculaneum (what)
I'm at the Taco Bell (what)
I'm at the time travelling Herculaneum Taco Bell

Carillon
May 9, 2014

How does Tom Holland's (not spiderman) work stack up? His book about Islam seems to check a lot of weird boxes but don't know if that's just me reading poo poo where it doesn't belong.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rubicon's great, especially for introducing people to the material. I've liked everything I've read of his, though I don't know Islamic or Persian history enough to judge those books like I did Rubicon.

I've never seen a historical work about Islam that doesn't get slammed from some direction. Holland's is revisionist and trying to figure out historicity of a religious story. That will always get you massively criticized. I thought it was interesting and didn't seem implausible or nutty. Could easily be wrong, but I don't think the people calling him an Islamophobic creep for it have a leg to stand on.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

There are so many insanely cool lectures big boy university prof lectures on youtube, it's great. This one was great: Steven Garfinkle - Commerce, Communication, and State Formation: Daily Life in Ancient Mesopotamia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6l5Y8uRpGQ+

e: can we talk about what an absolute desaster most of the old cuneiform alphabets are? Some of these symbols look like they are about as labor-intensive to produce as my entire house.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 30, 2020

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

aphid_licker posted:

There are so many insanely cool lectures big boy university prof lectures on youtube, it's great. This one was great: Steven Garfinkle - Commerce, Communication, and State Formation: Daily Life in Ancient Mesopotamia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6l5Y8uRpGQ+

Here are a bunch I've enjoyed recently.

Barry Cunliffe: Who Were the Celts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8FM9nMFbfI
(Cameraman sucks in the beginning though)

The Scythians: Nomad Warriors of the Steppe | Barry Cunliffe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFsd_LyYZdo

The Children of Ash: Cosmology and the Viking Universe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJZBqmGLHQ8
(First of 3 in a series)

The Early Middle Ages, 284--1000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC8JcWVRFp8
(A whole course)

Eric Cline | 1177 BC: The Year Civilization Collapsed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyry8mgXiTk

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Holland's book on the near East after ~400AD takes the stance that the Qur'an was fudged together by scholars decades or centuries after the fact, with particular howlers such as Mecca not being the original holy city and Muhammad's first followers being wealthy fixers from the Roman frontier.

It all seemed believable, objectively argued and not frothing with prejudice to me (I have no real knowledge of the subject), but easy to see how it could rapidly piss people off.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Is that Viking video worth watching? I thought we didn’t really know anything about Viking cosmology?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Is that Viking video worth watching? I thought we didn’t really know anything about Viking cosmology?

Yeah I think that video kind of just reports what's in the sagas. It's the first in a series of 3 and the later ones get into archaeology (the speaker is an archaeologist) and I liked those more.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Kemper Boyd posted:

Sounds kinda like we could introduce a theory where it wasn't the volcano that did Herculaneum in but a timetraveling Taco Bell.

The gods filled their buddy tunnel with cement so nobody could use it.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
im currently reading some david graebers RIP "debt: the first 5000 years" and "fragments of an anarchist anthropology"

im curious about any other contemporary anarchist writers that talk about historical subjects in a similar way to graeber?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

There's Against the Grain by James C Scott.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Rubicon's great, especially for introducing people to the material. I've liked everything I've read of his, though I don't know Islamic or Persian history enough to judge those books like I did Rubicon.

I've never seen a historical work about Islam that doesn't get slammed from some direction. Holland's is revisionist and trying to figure out historicity of a religious story. That will always get you massively criticized. I thought it was interesting and didn't seem implausible or nutty. Could easily be wrong, but I don't think the people calling him an Islamophobic creep for it have a leg to stand on.

Strategic Tea posted:

Holland's book on the near East after ~400AD takes the stance that the Qur'an was fudged together by scholars decades or centuries after the fact, with particular howlers such as Mecca not being the original holy city and Muhammad's first followers being wealthy fixers from the Roman frontier.

It all seemed believable, objectively argued and not frothing with prejudice to me (I have no real knowledge of the subject), but easy to see how it could rapidly piss people off.

Thanks, I came across his book on Islam from someone I'd say is Islamophobic adjacent, so raised my concern.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Archaeologists what is your most usless infocard/photo you keep handy.

I have a slide on how to identify machine extruded bricks that I have used exactly zero times.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If your goal is to expound on Islam being a sham religion, In the Shadow of the Sword will give you ammunition. I wouldn't really call the book anti-Islam, though, except in that taking a look at the historical origins of religions requires questioning articles of faith among that religion's adherents, and you won't always come up with answers that they're happy with.

e: It's been a while but iirc he talks about Christianity and Judaism with more or less the same tone, they just aren't the focus of the book.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 31, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

e: It's been a while but iirc he talks about Christianity and Judaism with more or less the same tone, they just aren't the focus of the book.

Yep. He's rightly skeptical of the origin stories of all religions. Christianity is unusual in that we have a lot of documentation of its early history, so we know for a fact that, say, the Bible is a volume compiled by various political committees over centuries rather than being the original word of Jesus or whatever. Judaism is so old we don't have anything like that, and my understanding is the Arabs just didn't write down anything about early Islam so it's all piecing together speculation from other, not great sources.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ehh textual analysis of the Old Testament does identify different sources. I mean there is a lot of source criticism of the OT.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Ehh textual analysis of the Old Testament does identify different sources. I mean there is a lot of source criticism of the OT.

Yeah but not to the level of the NT where we have stuff like "I, Bob Q. Biblewriter, am writing this letter to you, a church in so-and-so place, to talk about these and those doctrinal disputes". Plus we've got all these secondary sources and government councils and so on. With the OT we can suss out things like very general chronologies or how this part of the book is a priestly account and a scholarly account smooshed together.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Right, I'm not saying you can't analyze the OT, it's just that the type of material we have for early Christianity is often quite detailed. OT history is archaeology, NT history is... history.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can anyone recommend accessible sources on daily life in Ptolemaic or Roman Egypt?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

aphid_licker posted:

e: can we talk about what an absolute desaster most of the old cuneiform alphabets are? Some of these symbols look like they are about as labor-intensive to produce as my entire house.

Thanks! Will give this a watch.

Re: cuneiform, I don't know that it's much more complex than modern ideographical scripts like Chinese/Japanese.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Thanks! Will give this a watch.

Re: cuneiform, I don't know that it's much more complex than modern ideographical scripts like Chinese/Japanese.

I'm not clear on the process, so maybe I'm overestimating the number of strokes used, and I assume the more complex ones are the more rare ones, and it is actually pretty cool to see how they simplify over time, but some of these are pretty oof:

And they're syllables, not entire words, so you should have needed more of them to render a sentence than for Chinese/Japanese? This is a completely uninformed impression ofc.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Cuneiform characters can be either syllabograms or ideograms. Look up “determinative” if you want to know more about the latter. Basically unpronounced prefixes/suffixes letting you know what category the associated noun belongs in

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grand Fromage posted:

Right, I'm not saying you can't analyze the OT, it's just that the type of material we have for early Christianity is often quite detailed. OT history is archaeology, NT history is... history.

I am reminded of one history course that cited some OT passages as references when talking about the Assyrians, presumably mainly to drive home how goddamn ancient the history they're talking about is.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

aphid_licker posted:

And they're syllables, not entire words, so you should have needed more of them to render a sentence than for Chinese/Japanese? This is a completely uninformed impression ofc.

I don't know about Chinese, but doesn't this describe hirigana and katakana?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know about Chinese, but doesn't this describe hirigana and katakana?

It describes kana, hanzi, and kanji. Individual characters can be complete words or, more commonly, syllables in a larger word.

Chinese is not actually that complicated, there's a set of ~220 radicals that make up all the characters you'd encounter in normal text. You memorize those and characters are assembled out of them. It looks like cuneiform does the same thing, though it has 1000-1500 "radicals" so it's way more complicated than Chinese.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Grand Fromage posted:

It describes kana, hanzi, and kanji. Individual characters can be complete words or, more commonly, syllables in a larger word.

Chinese is not actually that complicated, there's a set of ~220 radicals that make up all the characters you'd encounter in normal text. You memorize those and characters are assembled out of them. It looks like cuneiform does the same thing, though it has 1000-1500 "radicals" so it's way more complicated than Chinese.

Prefix: I'm just an enthusiastic amateur, please correct me if I have this totally wrong.

I get the impression that 1000-1500 number is all the characters ever found, and that there were never more than 900 characters in use at any one time. Also, many of those characters are already derived by compounding of simpler characters. Just going by the cuneiform unicode set, which has around 900 characters, there are examples like "LAGAB" 𒆸, meaning "block", which has 49 derivative characters.

For example, "LAGAB times SUM" 𒇡 = 𒆸 + 𒋧.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuneiform#Unicode
https://escholarship.org/content/qt2w23q9c1/qt2w23q9c1.pdf?t=q4rj1c

There's also generally a logic in how they're compounded. According to ePSD, the compound 𒇡 is one form of "sur", meaning "to press". As mentioned above, 𒆸 means "block", while 𒋧 means "to flatten". So the character for "pressing" is the combination of "flatten" and "block", presumably describing a wine press.

But yeah, it also sounds like they got rid of most of the ideograms as soon as they started using it for languages other than Sumerian (for basically everyone except for scholars/mystics/priests).

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
If you have jstor access this might be good reading. The coincidences are pretty funny.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

can you give the raw jstor link? It looks like it's going thru your institution atm and that means I have no idea what article you're linking