Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kestral posted:

Anyone here own an aebleskiver pan? Looking to pick one up as a late Christmas present for someone who's expressed interest in them, and I'm starting to suspect that all the useful reviews on these things are going to be on Danish sites I wouldn't even know to search for.

I read through a lot of aebelskiver pan reviews and noticed one very important complaint: they don’t make perfectly spherical balls, they are slightly flat like curling stones. If you want perfectly spherical balls then you should check out deez nuts a takoyaki pan

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I read through a lot of aebelskiver pan reviews and noticed one very important complaint: they don’t make perfectly spherical balls, they are slightly flat like curling stones. If you want perfectly spherical balls then you should check out deez nuts a takoyaki pan

Well you turn them when you cook them so that's why, could you even call them æbleskiver if you cooked them in a takoyaki pan? takoyaki are quite a bit smaller.

Get a cast iron one. Lodge makes a cheap one and it looks like Nopro has one too. Or if you like them enough, Le Creuset makes one.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Tricky Ed posted:

A lot of "pressure cooker" recipes are adapted from slow cooker recipes and don't adjust the liquid content, so be wary of recipes with a lot of liquid in them. The IP's strength is in compressing time and making things more tender than they normally would be, and doing it without losing much liquid in the process. Some of my favorite recipes don't have any extra liquid at all in them.

If you were doing meat or something, would you add some liquid or not none at all? I know the meat itself gives off a lot of liquids during the cooking process but I'm always worried it will burn before that happens. I generally add something like half to one cup when I pressure cook. Is that unnecessary?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

FireTora posted:

Well you turn them when you cook them so that's why, could you even call them æbleskiver if you cooked them in a takoyaki pan? takoyaki are quite a bit smaller.
...you turn takoyaki as you cook them as well.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

My Instant Pot arrived today and I made a stew with chuck pot roast, potatoes, celery, and baby carrots. It was... okay? I let it naturally vent for 40 min after cooking to help reduce the liquid but it still wasn't enough. Is this a situation where I should just make it on the stove in a stock pot? Or I should've just put less water in to start with?

Pressure cookers won't release that much steam. The instant pot has a little weight above a small vent which regulates the pressure, so only a small amount of steam escapes the top. That goes doubly for the natural release, if you just turn the power off it's not actively evaporating since it's slowly cooling and actually sucking in air rather than pushing out steam.

So yeah, you need some kind of lid-off cooking to evaporate significant amounts of liquid.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Kestral posted:

Anyone here own an aebleskiver pan? Looking to pick one up as a late Christmas present for someone who's expressed interest in them, and I'm starting to suspect that all the useful reviews on these things are going to be on Danish sites I wouldn't even know to search for.

My friend recommends nordicware

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Does anyone have recommendations on a thermometer for deep frying? My digital stops reading at like 305 which isn't high enough. Are thermapens good for that, or is it better to have one that clips onto the edge of the pot? (I'm just frying using oil in a dutch oven)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Does anyone have recommendations on a thermometer for deep frying? My digital stops reading at like 305 which isn't high enough. Are thermapens good for that, or is it better to have one that clips onto the edge of the pot? (I'm just frying using oil in a dutch oven)

I usually just use my thermapen for checking oil for deep frying. It reads quickly, just be careful putting your arm over hot oil.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Get one that clips on the side, you want to constantly check the temp which is contrary to using a thermapen

Mercury thermometers eventually have the enamel markers come off, so I say get a dial thermometer instead

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Imo, clip on digital with alarm. That way you can set it and prep other things while it heats up, same for rebounding between batches. I used to have a cheap Polder I can't find online any more, then sister bought me a Thermoworks ChefAlarm which is $52 + shipping. I also use it for candy and as a general kitchen timer.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Any recs on a magnetic knife holder wall mounted? Or are they worthless and I should keep using my cork drawer holder.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Flaggy posted:

Any recs on a magnetic knife holder wall mounted? Or are they worthless and I should keep using my cork drawer holder.

I like my magnetic knife holder and will never go back to a block. Also, holds things that are not knives like ladles and graters and etc...

I just bought a couple from Ikea and mounted them with liquid nails.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I have a griddle that is matte enameled cast iron.

How do I clean and treat it?

Will it season? Will it rust?

Common google results are only for naked cast iron and common smooth enamel.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Flaggy posted:

I got one from MOC Woodworks and I really like it.

https://www.mocwoodworks.com/

It's really expensive though, you'll probably be fine with a cheaper option. I went with it because the wood looked nice.

GAYIDS
May 3, 2020

by Pragmatica

Flaggy posted:

I just got like $15 one off Amazon and it works really good. It even has option to stick it to the wall like one or those 3m sticky dealies if you don't want to use screws

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Greg12 posted:

I have a griddle that is matte enameled cast iron.

How do I clean and treat it?

Will it season? Will it rust?

Common google results are only for naked cast iron and common smooth enamel.

I've had a Le Creuset matte enamled cast iron skillet for years and don't put any thought into how I treat it. It doesn't need seasoning like cast iron and it will not rust , most times I don't even dry it. Washing is just soapy water and a soft brush once cooled. It goes on the hob, in the oven (check max temp on yours), under the grill and it works as well now as when it was new. The non-cooking surfaces show signs of it being well used but :shrug: who can be bothered to keep those bits pristine.

The only thing I don't do is use metal utensils on it.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Flaggy posted:

I got a cheap ikea stainless steel one and put a layer of cork tape on it so it wouldn’t chip knife edges. Works fine with paring knives or cleavers

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've been using this knife rack for a few months now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWJ2SSM/

and it seems good. I bought it because the color matches and size perfectly fits on the end of one of my cabinets, above the sink

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
I'm on a quest to replace my disintegrating cloth/silicone pot holders, and I can't find any of them with the opening in the middle like these. Anyone know WTF they are?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

I'm on a quest to replace my disintegrating cloth/silicone pot holders, and I can't find any of them with the opening in the middle like these. Anyone know WTF they are?

goatse without a ring. Actually, I think they are so you can put your hand it there like oven mitts.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Pocket Mitts is what I ended up searching for on Amazon to get any hits that were of that style. And even then it was like 1 in 10 results.

Still, here tou go: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0067HFRV2/

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

You even found ones that match my countertops, thanks!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I am sick of making a mess every time I carve a chicken and the juices overflow from the cutting board moat. Anyone have a good rec for a cutting board with a deep reservoir? I've been using the plastic gorilla ones for a couple of years.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Nephzinho posted:

I am sick of making a mess every time I carve a chicken and the juices overflow from the cutting board moat. Anyone have a good rec for a cutting board with a deep reservoir? I've been using the plastic gorilla ones for a couple of years.
If it's really a problem you can just put the cutting board in cookie sheet but it sounds like you need to tent the bird with foil and let it rest longer before carving.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SubG posted:

If it's really a problem you can just put the cutting board in cookie sheet but it sounds like you need to tent the bird with foil and let it rest longer before carving.

I am, its an issue of a tiny reservoir + uneven apartment floors pooling everything to one side.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
https://www.jkadams.com/product/maple-reversible-carving-board/wood-cutting-boards#top

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
https://us.josephjoseph.com/collections/chopping-boards/products/cut-and-carve-plus-chopping-board-black?variant=32714204217422

It's kind of hard to tell how it's angled, but it holds a ton of juice and conveniently directs it all to the back, away from you.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Recommend me an immersion blender (in Europe) that doesn't suck.

Hard requirement: business end must be able to go in the dishwasher. And not rust/die/collect a liter of water in the process.

I don't care about whisks and choppers and 74 accessories. Motor unit, blend head, done.

We've now burned through one really cheap one, and one supposedly OK one, and I'm tired of this poo poo.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

bolind posted:

Hard requirement: business end must be able to go in the dishwasher. And not rust/die/collect a liter of water in the process.

I don't care about whisks and choppers and 74 accessories. Motor unit, blend head, done.

We've now burned through one really cheap one, and one supposedly OK one, and I'm tired of this poo poo.

I’ve got a Breville (Sage in Europe) Control Grip that has served me well. Business end is detachable and can go in a dishwasher. Though I have always hand washed it, so I’m uncertain how well it actually fairs.

https://www.sageappliances.com/uk/en/products/immersion-blenders/bsb530.html

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

bolind posted:

If you are burning through motors then Bamix offer a lifetime guarantee on theirs.

Only the actual blades detach and I don't know if they are dishwasher safe but it cleans itself with a few seconds of whisking in soapy water.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Stupid Decisions posted:

If you are burning through motors then Bamix offer a lifetime guarantee on theirs.

Poor choice of words, what usually happens is that the blending end dies due to too much dishwashing. Water ingress, rust, whatever.

Stupid Decisions posted:

Only the actual blades detach and I don't know if they are dishwasher safe but it cleans itself with a few seconds of whisking in soapy water.

That is in fact a pro tip right there, which I'll give a shot next time I'm obliterating something.

In the mean time I've descended into the madness that is pro kitchen equipment. Yes, USD 300 for an immersion mixer seems like perfectly natural thing to consider.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you never had the pleasure of operating one of the gently caress off huge ones I feel bad for you.
We call 'em boat motors.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Stupid Decisions posted:

Word of warning to anyone looking at the bamix, if you intend to use it on a lot of acidic things (e.g. tomato sauces), you might want look elsewhere. The cutter guard is made out of aluminum and will corrode over time.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I guess this goes in the kitchen thread, but I recently watched this this video about dishwashers and how you should actually fill the pre-wash cycle measuring cup with dish soap to get good results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rBO8neWw04

I'd been pre-washing all my dishes forever because it always did a piss poor job if I just stuck them in there. I decided to give it a shot and did as he suggested and and used the pre-wash cup for some extra soap and it works perfectly now with no pre-washing at all. I'm kinda blown away.

I just bought a house in August that has a dishwasher and I’d never used one before. I tried it out once or twice and kinda forgot about it because it didn’t seem to save me any time. I had never thought much about how they worked since I never had one before, so I found the video useful and cool.

It really only seems to shine on hard to clean items like food processors and fine mesh strainers though. Otherwise it seems to take as much time to load it and unload it as it does to just wash them by hand. You still have to run a sink of soapy water for cleaning tables/countertops, and I always seem to have delicate glassware, vitamix jar and knives that require hand washing anyway. Is there a technique I’m missing or habit I need to acquire in order to realize the benefit of this seemingly beloved appliance?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I moved from an apartment w/ a dishwasher to a house without one. After a year there I swore I'd never live somewhere without one again. Then I moved into a new house with a dishwasher and realized that I handwash everything and the real problem at the place w/out one was my lazy rear end roommates who just let dishes pile up in the sink. I've lived at the "new" place for 5+ years now and have used the dishwasher exactly zero times. Roommate uses it all the time though, so I guess I'm still glad it's there

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dishwasher can be efficient if you have a lot of people in the house and are going to run it every or every other day. In a house with just one or two people it can just be kind of overkill unless you are those people who use a new glass/plate for refills

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
As always the wirecutter has the goods:

quote:

Dishwashers and detergents have changed. They used to blast the hell out of dishes with tons of hot water sprayed at high pressure, using strong detergents. But starting in the 1990s, efficiency regulations forced dishwashers to gradually become thriftier with water and energy. Then in 2010, phosphates disappeared from detergents. The industry switched to enzyme-based detergents, which work by breaking down food into smaller molecules (like the enzymes in your gut), and are biodegradable and easy to remove from water. After a few rough years of adjusting to this gentler, more-efficient paradigm, dishwashers and detergents emerged better than before. “Today’s dishwashers are really cleaning better than anything out there and use less water,” Barry said. “The key is that you have to use them properly, you need to load them properly, and use the right detergent.”

They suggest not pre-rinsing with newer dishwashers, since the soil sensor can cut the cycle short, and using an enzymatic detergent. More tips in the article (scroll down to the how to section). There’s a bunch of outdated or plain wrong info out there regarding dishwashers but even the bottom-tier ge model in my apartment does a good job if i load it right and use finish tabs.

1redflag posted:

Dishwasher can be efficient if you have a lot of people in the house and are going to run it every or every other day. In a house with just one or two people it can just be kind of overkill unless you are those people who use a new glass/plate for refills

Speaking of outdated information, modern dishwashers use less water than hand washing even for fairly small loads. https://www.reviewed.com/dishwashers/features/please-stop-hand-washing-your-dishes

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 16, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Anyone have any good leads on Etsy seamstresses that sell aprons and cooking jackets? Looking for something fitted with pockets.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

hypnophant posted:

Speaking of outdated information, modern dishwashers use less water than hand washing even for fairly small loads. https://www.reviewed.com/dishwashers/features/please-stop-hand-washing-your-dishes

Like all statistics, you have to look at the methodology they use to get their results:

quote:

One cleaned using a basin of soapy water, while the other left the water running during the scrubbing and sponging.

What about third option; soap everything up w wet sponge and then rinse all at once? That’s what I do and it seems a lot more water-efficient than either filling up the basin or leaving the faucet running the whole time.

E. VVVDon’t want to continue the derail, but I will say my wife and I have gotten pretty good at using a single set of glasses, plates, and cutlery over the years in tiny apartments w/o dishwashers, so yes, but I understand the same isn’t true for everyone.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I don’t think most people want to do that, but even so you’re probably not saving as much water as you think you are. They measured the average dishwasher using 3.5 gallons and efficient modern ones using closer to 2; by comparison the average kitchen faucet uses about a gallon a minute. If you time yourself, are you running the tap less than 120 seconds to wet and rinse plates? For one plate, cup, knife and fork i can see it, but for a day’s worth of dishes even?