Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Make it extra authentic by refusing to let people check out :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Make it extra authentic by refusing to let people check out :v:
Congratulations on your hostel takeover!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I feel like the violence and complex social structures in prison have more to do with the experience than living in a room with bars around it, but I've never been incarcerated.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Rent a group of 20 rooms at $200 per head to recreate the Stanford prison experiment. The twist is that 5 of the guests are picked at random to be the guards and are given twice their money back. Boom, 2k profit per night and a month long waiting list of signups

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ashcans posted:

The other sides do not make any more sense:

The back looks like the way a small child draws a house, just a flat front and WINDOWS WINDOWS WINDOWS. I really appreciate the six different sliding doors that don't have consistent heights or fit, complements the single weird staggered window nicely.

Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft's "Dreams in the Witch House"

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
A truly hosed up sight from my instastories:

Before:

After:

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

A truly hosed up sight from my instastories:

Before:

After:

Why not just build a new house or is this a UK specific thing?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

koshmar posted:

Why not just build a new house or is this a UK specific thing?

They do this poo poo in Denver (like 90% are in Denver, idk if there's some favorable zoning or what) to cute 1920s bungalows all the loving time and I hate it. They often come with "pop-tops" to add a full second story and an addition to the back of the house that swallows up most of the backyard, and then they destroy the facade and the interior of the house and sell it for like 4x the price they bought it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
California too, there are weird rules about what triggers a house to get reassessed at current tax values, so you see him huge remodels as result

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Eh, I don't care for the original either. At least it's symmetrical I guess.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Glumslinger posted:

California too, there are weird rules about what triggers a house to get reassessed at current tax values, so you see him huge remodels as result
Yep.

Before - 3BD 1.5 BA 1790sf sold for $1.09 million in 2019. A fixer-upper for sure, but the original details are there.

After - 4BD 3.5 BA 2681sf currently asking $2.35 million and they're now calling it a "Modern Craftsman" :psyduck:

whoops there went the yard. but hey, it saves money on turf.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This sort of thing feels too high class for this thread, I'm going to look for pictures of life endangering or ugly decisions.I

E: some choice pix from some article served to you without the popups:

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 1, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Almost a good solution to the "Oh crap, need a soap dish" problem.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

All I can see is a device to open up your skull like a tin can you once you slip.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
What is the proper way to fix this?

quote:

I have a wall plate I've wanted to do this to. . . Box fill is a bitch sometimes.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

First thing on my mind is that you place your balls on the soapdish, turn on the water and then reach out and electrify urself in style.
"Won't the coroner be surprised!"

E: wait wait there's a retractable laundry cord too for all you S/M hobbyists.

EE: fortunately this turns out to be a fake.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 1, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I was going though rentals online and saw an apartment in a building in a town I once lived in. Nothing flash, but it had its own parking space which looked like this:

Does anyone have any idea what all that poo poo on the ground is? I'm half expecting a Thunderbird to come rolling out of there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It's hard to tell how high those ceilings are, but my guess is it's a lift/autostacker thing so you can get 2 cars into one space.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Looks like some kind of lift so the 116 space in the front there can get out. But yeah no clue if those ceilings will support it or not.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

There should be a car version of these archival shelves. Instead of requiring an aisle adjacent to every space, we can double park if there’s a way to shift cars to the side and put the gap where it’s needed.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I know of no easier way, but I crammed a VW into my garage with a ‘66 Pontiac by using my trolley jacks. They do make wheel dollys, but you have to jack the car up to get one under each wheel...but then you can roll the car anywhere

By popular demand posted:

E: some choice pix from some article served to you without the popups:

Easier today with a compound miter saw. Back in the day, these were cut by hand. On wider curves, they would steam the baseboard & bend it.
Nowadays, if new is being fitted to the original wall, you’d have to take time & do trial cuts because the angle Of the curve might vary.

It’ll never look right if going for stained finish, you’d be better off carving a corner element to fill it.

If they’d taken the time to put a finished edge on it, it would be fine.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 1, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

PainterofCrap posted:

If they’d taken the time to put a finished edge on it, it would be fine.

loving in the shower is dangerous enough without having a way to crack your head open just above blowjob height.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

PainterofCrap posted:

I know of no easier way, but I crammed a VW into my garage with a ‘66 Pontiac by using my trolley jacks. They do make wheel dollys, but you have to jack the car up to get one under each wheel...but then you can roll the car anywhere

This but the wheel dollies are RC cars is a thing that's definitely been done

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you like 'em weird and fussy this is the place for you!

https://twitter.com/CheapoCrappy/status/1345053488959672320?s=20

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

1629 Hillcrest Rd, Lawrence, KS 66044

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I hate Twitter so I might as well extract the photos for everyone:

Im almost certain I've seen a cheap kung fu movie fight on this railing.

E: the Zillow link has some more hits-

The saddest wash basin.

And this is where the vaguely south American drug lord will send more goons to kill Chuck Norris.

When I called for prison reform this is not what I had in mind.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 1, 2021

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That last room makes for easy "cleanup." :yikes:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I’m sure that places has been featured at least once and maybe twice in this thread already.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

And that's a good place as any for me to finish off my daily posting.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I looked up the address and it's right next to the University of Kansas. Maybe an ex-frat house?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Way waaaaay too many intact glass panes to have served as a frat house.
I learned all I know from TV

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That house has the most photos I've ever seen in a real estate listing: 329

:aaaaa:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Sirotan posted:

That house has the most photos I've ever seen in a real estate listing: 329

:aaaaa:

Most of them are just copies, probably from previous listings. It was on the market for a while.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

By popular demand posted:

I hate Twitter so I might as well extract the photos for everyone:

When I called for prison reform this is not what I had in mind.

When I saw the first photo all I could think was "JailBarn?" The last one confirmed it.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

The "counterweights" on those "stairs" :psyduck:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It looks like something out of The Witness; I assume the contrived puzzles are all just out of frame

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I like the pattern on the exterior walls, and the bits of the roof that don't look like the wreckage of an old school windmill.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

ultrafilter posted:

I looked up the address and it's right next to the University of Kansas. Maybe an ex-frat house?

It was a design by the architecture school, iirc.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

drgitlin posted:

It was a design by the architecture school, iirc.

Was the school closed as a result?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

tater_salad posted:

Looks like some kind of lift so the 116 space in the front there can get out. But yeah no clue if those ceilings will support it or not.

I can only think there has to be a hole beneath it if it's a lift, and I can't think of what else it might be. But the listing only has it as a single car space.

You'd want to be bloody sure you don't leave a car on top of it, because that a cement ceiling right above it.

EDIT: Ohhh, a horizontal lift, not vertical :doh: