Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Had a very productive New Year's Eve of hobbying with some pals on discord.

First experience with a big FW model, and man I'm glad I came in with my eyes open about how tough this would be to put together, and very glad I was doing a traitor legion with lots of excuses to green stuff horrible things everywhere to cover where it struggled to come together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What's the Deal with Artillery? It's not like they're art. But they are huge, and they do remind me of something. Maybe that's why they call them basilisks. Because you see one and you stop and think: "Hey. Is that a giant..?" And another thing. Aren't you not supposed to look at a basilisk? Cause of the petrification? Funny because the only way to beat them is to get real close look at them.
*Krammisar busts in through the door*
That's Hersey, Jerry. Hersey!

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Does anyone have a Malcador on hand (not the Infernus) and is able to give me an accurate Length, Width and Height of it in Centimeters? I want to make a proxy, but I need to know what dimensions I am working with.

Also, if anyone wants to help out, I wouldn't mind putting together a spreadsheet of dimensions for vehicles across the 40k range, so if people want to proxy they have a resource they can use to see how big things are without having to either purchase the item then measure, or guess at how big a thing is.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

JackMann posted:

All of my painting progress this year. 2500 points of Space Marines exactly, 1165 of ork stuff, and 150 points of miscellaneous, for a total of 3,815 points complete. Just barely finished the gladiator under the wire, getting the base complete at 11:59 PM.

That demolisher dozer is really nice, any chance of a closeup?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
didn't see anyone post this yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JR43bm8GeA

That's definitely an Admech guy but is that a new Knight in the beginning?

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
My 2020 painting haul, minus a few random one-off models. Hope to have even more done in 2021!

Also going to toss in this picture of some of the Skaven I painted in 2020. I know Skaven aren't in 40k, but a man can dream of someday having murderrats in the grimdark of the 41st millenium.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

AnEdgelord posted:

didn't see anyone post this yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JR43bm8GeA

That's definitely an Admech guy but is that a new Knight in the beginning?

its probably a titanicus model.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Well poo poo.

Congratulations really doesn’t seem a big enough word here. Re: Duct tape

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's already over but since there was a report, I'll go ahead and weigh in:
1. introducing a list you actually want people to consider, as being somehow related to a transphobe, implies that actually you are looking for people to criticize wherever the list came from or somehow referencing something from reddit or ??? and that's confusing
2. on the other hand, referencing a sitcom from Ireland that some people haven't heard of is not intrinsically bad or whatever, and it's OK to do that
3. but on the gripping hand, sniping at one another isn't really necessary, so let's not do that please, unless your space barbie has sniping abilities and you roll the dice properly and let your opponent see them before you scoop them up

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh yeah. I've forgotten to post my painting haul for 2020.

Not shown is a couple of AoS models I painted this year as well.

Plans for this year is just to somehow chew through the rest of my backlog/pile of shame. I still haven't gotten my Ripper Jackson model yet so I have that one to look forward to.
And then I hopefully might start working on my own RG successor chapter to clear out some Marines I have. Settling on a colour scheme for them is a pain though.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
With the low availability of the Bike Captain and Bike Chaplain, should I turn two of my Indomitus Outriders into those characters with the Captain and Chaplain that come in the box?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

With the low availability of the Bike Captain and Bike Chaplain, should I turn two of my Indomitus Outriders into those characters with the Captain and Chaplain that come in the box?

I'm in the process of converting a bike chaplain and I'd recommend it - it's pretty simple and saves you money either way - you can pick up an extra Outrider for like 12 bucks on ebay vs $40 for the bike chaplain, and even if you pick up an extra Indomitus chaplain just in case you want to have a footslogging option available it's still half the price.

If you don't plan on even fielding Outriders in your army then it's a no-brainer imo.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Primaries bike captain doesn't exist.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Ah! I conflated some of the guys on the Goonhammer list for Salamanders- seems like it’s a non-Primaris bike Captain. I’m still wrapping my head around HQ vs Elites and all that. It may be moot anyway, I’ve already bought Adrax Agatone and might be getting Vulkan Hestan soon.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah it's pretty easy to make a bike chappie. You can go low effort as gently caress and just paint one black and do a head/weapon swap.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mini painting thread x-post

Eej posted:

Iterating on colour scheme, based in Ivory and used a little bit of Seraphim Sepia wash to give it a little more warmth and really tried to go for a streaky charred bone feel.

Then I went and painted the receiver a different colour for more contrast and I'm pretty happy with it. Now to figure out vehicles.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I made an instagram for my boys.

https://www.instagram.com/pobeda_ot_neba/

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Dudes with the mid swing power sword is dope as gently caress.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

These are awesome and I don't know if I'm imagining it but it seems like you've gotten really comfortable with your colours as time has marched on. They're awesome.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I would say the first squad of intercessors was when it really clicked.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Eifert Posting posted:

I would say the first squad of intercessors was when it really clicked.

Yeah! The highlighting goes up a big notch and they look really confident. It's a great army man well done.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

TKIY posted:

In Canada most of my friends know Father Ted, but I have odd friends.

I got it. The CBC carries lots of BBC stuff.

Not that hard to get why people are nervous about such posts these days those. Seemingly normal people go off the deep end on trans issues, so it's tough to tell a reference from that.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 2, 2021

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Bad miss. Oops!

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I wish I had the focus some of you guys have. I may have painted maybe 3-4 models, and one statue in 2020 :smith:

Between getting my first nintendo switch, a series x, and a bunch of 9th ed books, obj markers, terrain, a battle mat etc. I just didn't have the motivation to paint. Not being able to hit The Spot and play with my friends every week has really killed my motivation as well.

Hopefully this year will be different. Right? :ohdear:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Snail Information posted:

That demolisher dozer is really nice, any chance of a closeup?

Sure!

Here's the picture I took when I first painted it up. Pretty much just used masking tape and an airbrush, but I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Wow love these. One can tell that you actually play the game and not just paint.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I wish I had the focus some of you guys have. I may have painted maybe 3-4 models, and one statue in 2020 :smith:

Between getting my first nintendo switch, a series x, and a bunch of 9th ed books, obj markers, terrain, a battle mat etc. I just didn't have the motivation to paint. Not being able to hit The Spot and play with my friends every week has really killed my motivation as well.

Eveeryone is motivated by different things, and that's fine.

I get motivated to paint primarily by the idea of using my model on the tabletop in a game, particularly motivated by the idea of the people I'm paying with seeing my army and going "hey, that's a cool looking army". I love playing against a cool looking army and I think that's the same for everyone, and i like the idea of being a player who people enjoy playing against because a) I'm fun to play with b) I can give them a tactical challenge, and c) I have a cool army.

Without playing games regularly my motivation to paint is pretty low. I've managed to get all my Word Bearers painted to "battle ready" standard which means the table looks nice-ish from a distance, but there's only like 4 CSM models which are properly done.

When the covid restrictions ease my friends and I are going to do a crusade "thing" (not decided the details yet) and hopefully that will give me an incentive to finish off the army. Or at least, 1000 points of it.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Painting is easy once you have a permanent painting place. You assemble the model one evening, prime it another, put on 1 or 2 color base coat in another and then just keep on adding and tweaking. Even just with 2 or 3 base colors the models are way more interesting than without anything.
Painting things to a high standard is something else though and not one of my specialities. I am more of an 80-20 guy. 80% of the model done because the last 20% to make it truely special takes to much effort .

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 2, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i only started painting again because i did some charity work at a community centre and found painting a mural insanely relaxing and it reminded me “hey remember when you were a kid and painted space barbies? you could do that again for a chill time” and instead it’s turned into an expensive way to look at pros and experts and feel inferior

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Have you tried participating in the Oath Thread? Sometimes having a deadline/commitment is the best way to get painting. I know for me that’s been the best thing to get me to paint; I know I have a deadline and so sometimes I just need to make myself paint to meet it.

I know that makes it sound like a chore, but for me I often need to get over that initial hump of not wanting to paint, and then when I actually start doing it for a session I enjoy myself.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

TotalHell posted:

Have you tried participating in the Oath Thread? Sometimes having a deadline/commitment is the best way to get painting. I know for me that’s been the best thing to get me to paint; I know I have a deadline and so sometimes I just need to make myself paint to meet it.

I know that makes it sound like a chore, but for me I often need to get over that initial hump of not wanting to paint, and then when I actually start doing it for a session I enjoy myself.

Literally every model I personally painted was painted in response to a tournament event that I wanted to use it in, usually in the week before that event, and often the night before. I envy those of you who enjoy painting. For me it's a chore I have to get through to do what I really enjoy...which is play the loving game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I find assembling stuff to be be the biggest chore, but once I get it all slapped together and settle on a scheme that isn't too difficult I mostly enjoy it, I'm just not the most motivated to go do it. Slow-grow leagues are a huge boon for me to paint my poo poo because I hate fielding unpainted stuff. But obviously now that no one's fielding anything...

Also, boo, I was hoping the DG codex might go up for pre-order today as they said early January but I guess not this early :(

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Settling on a paint scheme is always what does me in. Especially when I end up painting something new almost every time. In some cases I end up reusing old colour schemes for other models.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Couple questions:

1.) Do the chapter-specific upgrade sprues like these fit Primaris models, or are they geared towards firstborn? The product description doesn't specify one or the other.

2.) Having picked up this hobby in the middle of covid, I haven't had the chance to play an actual game yet. Looking through the rules and codexes, I think I have a rudimentary understanding of how everything works, but one of the things I'm still a little confused about is when to use certain weapons and why. Anyone know of a guide that breaks down the pros and cons of weapon options? Something like "meltas are good against X in scenario A but bad against Y in scenario B"

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Communist Walrus posted:

Couple questions:

1.) Do the chapter-specific upgrade sprues like these fit Primaris models, or are they geared towards firstborn? The product description doesn't specify one or the other.

2.) Having picked up this hobby in the middle of covid, I haven't had the chance to play an actual game yet. Looking through the rules and codexes, I think I have a rudimentary understanding of how everything works, but one of the things I'm still a little confused about is when to use certain weapons and why. Anyone know of a guide that breaks down the pros and cons of weapon options? Something like "meltas are good against X in scenario A but bad against Y in scenario B"

The space marine shoulderpads will fit on primaris and the heads will be usable, all the little extra bits should be compatible too. The arms look like smallmarine ones so they probably won't work with primaris, same with the torso bits. I think that BT one is much older then the other upgrade sets, the newer ones might have better compatibility.

Broadly for weapons, it'll come down to range and what you expect the squad to do. A flamer's not much use for the guys camping a back objective and a lascannon's not a great choice on a squad that's going to advance. Then it's just about having an army that can deal with anything, which is just something I've found I developed a feel for after a while. So if I'm writing a list I'll have a sense of if I need more antitank and where to put it vs needing more anti-infantry or whatever. That's probably not massively useful :v: but it's not really something there are hard and fast rules on.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Communist Walrus posted:

Couple questions:

That specific kit is designed to convert the tactical squad into initiates for a black templar crusade squad (their version of a mainline troop unit - all small marines). That said, it can me somewhat mixed with primaris units, in the following ways:

Shoulder pads and heads (as well as random bits and bobs) are explicitly compatible. Terminator pads should mostly fit on gravis armored units, or could be slightly carved out to do so.

Primaris marines generally have their own weapon types, and have slightly longer arms. That said, you could certainly use the included chainswords and bolt pistols on assault intercessors, and I don't think anybody would bat an eye.

Primaris chest pieces and backpacks are distinctly larger, so those pieces won't work. You could do some trimming and use the tabards though with some conversion work.

This kit also includes some larger icons with flat panels, meant to go on flat surfaces of vehicles. Those pieces could be used.

Some chapters explicitly have a "Primaris Upgrade Kit," but as of right now BTs are not one of them. Iirc, Ultramarines and Dark/Blood Angels each have two kits, one older for original marines and one for primaris, but the old ones can be similarly mixed with primaris in the ways I stated above.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Communist Walrus posted:

Couple questions:

The pack you linked is primarily for the first born, but some of the accessories (e.g. Pistols) will look fine, as will the shoulder pads. Arms and heads can look a little out of scale depending on the kit, but can look fine.

In terms of "what weapon is good for what" it's sort of difficult without listing every single weapon.

Instead what you need to do is look at the stats, and any special rules. Specifically:

Type: This used to be clearer cut in terms of heavy = anti-tank or serious anti-infantry but it's not as clear cut anymore. Generally speaking though pistols are used by close combat units, assault weapons are intended for mobile units, and heavy weapons for static units. Rapid fire is sort of "default" as a weapon category.

Number of shots: Generally speaking the more shots a gun has the more it's inte ded for anti-infantry work.

Range: Long range guns are intended to be used at long range, short range ones intended to be used at short range.

Strength: Generally speaking anything that is S8+ is an anti-tank weapon. Anything that is S5-S7 is going to be anti-elite infantry or anti-light vehicle (or both), anything S4 or less is likely to be anti-infantry.

AP: The lower this is (e.g. -4 is lower than -3) the more that its going to be either anti-vehicle (which generally are a 3+ save) or anti-elite infantry.

Damage: 1 is either anti-infantry or crap at being anti-vehicle or anti-elite infantry. 2 damage is a sweet spot for killing 2W elite models aka Primaris space marines. 3+ is generally anti-tank, though these days can also be useful for killing Terminators.

Special rules: if this says it gets a bonus against something, that's what it's meant to be used against

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Much obliged!

Kitchner posted:

The pack you linked is primarily for the first born, but some of the accessories (e.g. Pistols) will look fine, as will the shoulder pads. Arms and heads can look a little out of scale depending on the kit, but can look fine.

In terms of "what weapon is good for what" it's sort of difficult without listing every single weapon.

Instead what you need to do is look at the stats, and any special rules. Specifically:

Type: This used to be clearer cut in terms of heavy = anti-tank or serious anti-infantry but it's not as clear cut anymore. Generally speaking though pistols are used by close combat units, assault weapons are intended for mobile units, and heavy weapons for static units. Rapid fire is sort of "default" as a weapon category.

Number of shots: Generally speaking the more shots a gun has the more it's inte ded for anti-infantry work.

Range: Long range guns are intended to be used at long range, short range ones intended to be used at short range.

Strength: Generally speaking anything that is S8+ is an anti-tank weapon. Anything that is S5-S7 is going to be anti-elite infantry or anti-light vehicle (or both), anything S4 or less is likely to be anti-infantry.

AP: The lower this is (e.g. -4 is lower than -3) the more that its going to be either anti-vehicle (which generally are a 3+ save) or anti-elite infantry.

Damage: 1 is either anti-infantry or crap at being anti-vehicle or anti-elite infantry. 2 damage is a sweet spot for killing 2W elite models aka Primaris space marines. 3+ is generally anti-tank, though these days can also be useful for killing Terminators.

Special rules: if this says it gets a bonus against something, that's what it's meant to be used against

Thanks for typing all this, it helps immensely. Is there anything that makes an anti-vehicle weapon bad for shooting at infantry, or is it a case of "you only have one shot per round with this thing, so you better aim it where it can be most effective"?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, it's only one big bullet so shooting little mans is not a good use of the resource

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Are cultists still the go-to chaos troop unit?

e: are orks or chaos expected to get new codexes soon?

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 2, 2021