Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Saladman posted:

Are you interpreting this backwards? I think you're the first person I've ever heard of who doesn't like daylight savings time. Even the few psychopaths I know who get up at 5am every day still like having more sun later in the day.

Oh just saw your other post. Well I guess you're the first person I've ever heard of who doesn't like more sunlight.

For another perspective, what I hate is having to adjust the clock by an hour twice per year. Would rather have the equivalent of DST all year although it doesn't matter that much since I live in Norway. In deep winter it's dark when we go to work or school and it's dark again when the work- or schoolday is over. In high summer it barely gets dark for a bit around midnight and the sun is up hours before anyone with regular hours has to get out of bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Tree Goat posted:

others have already said that they are hoxhatown but i would like to reiterate that i am also hoxhatown

https://twitter.com/arborerich/status/1344878204692160513?s=21
Where the gently caress is Hoxhatown supposed to be? Fort Simpson? Nahanni Butte? It's too far east for Whitehorse and there's.... not a lot of people between it and Yellowknife.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/shacayada2/status/1345009037818081281

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

others have already said that they are hoxhatown but i would like to reiterate that i am also hoxhatown

https://twitter.com/arborerich/status/1344878204692160513?s=21

https://twitter.com/ArborErich/status/1344878803064152064?s=20

how would a Marxist disagree...with what?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The source map

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Vavrek posted:

I detest differences between solar noon and 12pm.

I usually assume people dislike DST, because I assume the best about people I haven't met.
I used to be like this, but then I learned that where I live (eastern Massachusetts), solar noon is never 12pm. It's either 11:30 or 12:30 depending on whether daylight savings is active nor not.

Authenticity is a lie.

Now I just hate the fact that it changes. Pick one and stick with it, I don't care which.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Xelkelvos posted:

The source map

That is a, uh... Big Germany

a little Groß

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Eiba posted:

I used to be like this, but then I learned that where I live (eastern Massachusetts), solar noon is never 12pm. It's either 11:30 or 12:30 depending on whether daylight savings is active nor not.

Authenticity is a lie.

Now I just hate the fact that it changes. Pick one and stick with it, I don't care which.

Continuous time zones would solve that problem and introduce many others.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Der Waffle Mous posted:

That is a, uh... Big Germany

a little Groß

If you look at the timeline it seems to be an alternate history diverging with the Communists coming out on top in the German revolution at the end of WW1

E: presumably that world has abolished daylight savings.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Eiba posted:

Authenticity is a lie.

It's not even as fixed as that, exact solar noon shifts over time even without daylight savings. At least you're somewhat close though, daylight savings puts the noon sun at around 13:30 at the height of summer here in Denmark.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Les just cancel daylight savings time

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

The source map

There's a lot to unpack with the map, but I'd like to start with the timeline that has smallpox lasting to 2011.

Spain gets sliced up, Northern Ireland remains independent, Norway and Sweden get fused, Crimea is annexed, Palestine still exists on an otherwise united Arabian peninsula and levant, but has to exist alongside some kind of separate jewish state. Also a wildly expanded Jewish Autonomous Oblast.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Warsaw Pact and NATO were a mistake

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Les just cancel daylight savings time

The EU was going to do this in 2021 and the proposal was approved by the EU Parliament but then blocked elsewhere and it's not happening for now. I really want DST to go away.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

the only good thing bolsonaro did was to cancel DST

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Space Kablooey posted:

the only good thing bolsonaro did was to cancel DST

He also got covid and was bit by an emu.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

The source map

Some truly hilarious details in this map.

Leninderry - lol
For some reason they didn't change the name of Monrovia??
There's a city in northwest Argentina named Verdugo de los Ricos ("Executioner of the Rich") and I have no idea why
No Basque ASSR
They use some of the Indian city renamings (Kolkata) but not all of them (Madras)
New Zealand is called the "Aotearoan SSR" but all the city names are still just the ones given by the English - also I'm pretty sure you can't adjective-fy Aotearoa like that
They renamed Belo Horizonte ("Beautiful Horizon") to Horizonte Vermelho ("Red Horizon") which seems lazy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Xelkelvos posted:

DST is weird and dumb. Use an alarm clock and just deal with it. It's an outdated thing due to the introduction of electric lights.

How can it be outdated due to electric lights when it was only implemented after electric lights?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Eiba posted:

Not to mention that due mainly to eccentricities in the Earth’s orbit, noons aren’t a consistent number of seconds apart, but clocks run at a uniform rate, so true noon comes up to fourteen minutes late or sixteen minutes early even if you have a clock set perfectly for your longitude and don’t use DST.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

The source map

Ooof, the "Brenton" ASSR still doesn't include Loire Atlantique.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Virtually all the communist city renamings took place in North America. Could've at least renamed Berlin to Liebknechtstadt or something smh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The city formerly known as “Tokyo”, lit. “eastern capital” becomes “Akakyo”, lit. “red capital”.

Another I noticed in that hemisphere is that Port Moresby becomes “Red Victory”.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

The source map

1959 Mao eradicates famine

:eng99:

edit: I know it's an alternate history but that seems particularly optimistic to say the least

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
1960: Mao re-invents famine by eradicating natural predators of pests.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Xelkelvos posted:

The source map

Current world president - Kim Jung Un

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Even the tankie wetdream map still has the Holodomor and doesn't cure polio until 2011.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

The guy who isolated it (in 1875) was French. That's pretty much it.
Nationalists in France were still loving furious when Mary Curie named her element Polonium. Yeah sure at least now people aren't getting poisoned by Francium.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I choose to believe that Estacion Posadas in Antarctica is named after the UFO guy and not the town in Spain.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Soviet Commubot posted:

I choose to believe that Estacion Posadas in Antarctica is named after the UFO guy and not the town in Spain.

considering the rest of the map i think that's a yes

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Stalinbad.

That's my opinion in Uzbekistan.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sadly Vladimir Pinches-García and Lenmar [I hope this is a combination of Lenin/Marx] Wilders do not appear to be real people.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Xelkelvos posted:

The source map

Cyprus is part of Turkey

Transylvania is part of Hungary

There’s a Hutu country ( what happened to all of the tutsis? Was there a successful Rwandan genocide)

Jigiga isn’t part of the Somali SSR.

So many lunacies

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I tried google searching to find the source and there's another map that is the evil version (notice the mentions of purges and Beria succeeding Stalin):

Also the names are much funnier.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
im looking at the "qebecois" SSR and remembering how there's some weirdos who insist that labrador rightfully belongs to quebec

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Minenfeld! posted:

Even the tankie wetdream map still has the Holodomor and doesn't cure polio until 2011.

Anyone who gives Hoxha a job before any other communist leader or politician of that era is crazy. I also don't see any communist leader during the Beria getting out alive if it's a more oppressive era than the Stalin period. Maybe Hoxha was one of the few left standing.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I want to know how WW3 and 4 went as they were fought after nuclear weapons were invented.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Beria might've made Stalin look like a soft liberal had he actually taken power.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Beria might've made Stalin look like a soft liberal had he actually taken power.

Wasn't one of the reasons Beria was killed (besides all the rape, murder and pedophilia) was that he was planning on closer economic ties with the Capitalist West?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Wasn't one of the reasons Beria was killed (besides all the rape, murder and pedophilia) was that he was planning on closer economic ties with the Capitalist West?

That is correct up to a point, he was killed mostly because he was a threat to the ascendant Krrushchev faction. Also, the head of the secret police was a very risky position with only one possible exit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

galagazombie posted:

It's an open question as to whether he was actually going to do it or if Khrushchev just overstated the point to get more approval for killing him, but the accusation was that he intended to allow Germany to reunify and sell them back East Prussia in exchange for access to Marshall plan money. And also just generally give more freedom to the countries of eastern Europe. With that extra money and the backing of the west he'd then murder everyone (this part is almost certainly true).

All in all Beria wasn't a land of contrasts and was clearly an irredeemable oval office and serial killer.