Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've had a hard crash with Safari around 8 or 10 times since upgrading to Big Sur on my early 2015 MBP yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
It crashes pretty regularly for me, usually when I've tried to close a tab or something. It's certainly not daily, but it's a drat sight more regular than should be acceptable.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bobstar posted:

I saw them and discounted it because

"No Internet connection just means that controlling your heating or air conditioning remotely via the mobile or web app is not possible during this time."

And also because lots of people were moaning about a monthly fee to use the app, but again, if basic temperature setting via HomeKit is possible on LAN only, that would be fine (and cheaper than the Netatmo mentioned above).

As promised I tested isolating the Netatmo bridge internet access, commands over Siri fails, direct modifications over HomeKit(home app) works.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 30, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SlowBloke posted:

As promised I tested isolating the Netatmo bridge internet access, commands over Siri fails, direct modifications over HomeKit(home app) works.

Yep, this is what I would expect. Siri requires Internet access to work so that’s just not going to be operable if you don’t have Internet access. But so long as the local area network is working then provided your homekit hub is working then all devices will be controllable through the app and any automations that you will have set up should also work as well since those live on the HomeKit Hub.

If the home kit hub has access to the internet but your netatmo can't connect to it's manufacturers home server then you should still be able to control the device remotely and use Siri. That's because all commands will be going through the homekit hub rather than the netatmo bridge. this would also mean that if the manufacturer decides to stop supporting the device in five or 10 years you should still work provided that Apple doesn't drop support for homekit.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 30, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I enjoy Mail's automatic "Unsubscribe" option that pops up when you first get an email from a list, but if you ignore it and later want to use Apple's system to unsubscribe for you after you ignored that, is there a menu option to get that to work again, or if you passed on it do you just have to do it manually by finding the unsubscribe link in 2pt. font somewhere in the email itself?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I got one of those 'magic keyboards' with the num-pad and it's got 7 additional F-keys (F13-19). Anyone have any idea how I can actually use them for something? Or bind them to something? Nothing shows up in keyboard options which, presumably, applies to my laptop built-in keyboard.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Anjow posted:

I got one of those 'magic keyboards' with the num-pad and it's got 7 additional F-keys (F13-19). Anyone have any idea how I can actually use them for something? Or bind them to something? Nothing shows up in keyboard options which, presumably, applies to my laptop built-in keyboard.

Karabiner can re-map them. I generally use extra F keys to launch macros via Keyboard Maestro.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I enjoy Mail's automatic "Unsubscribe" option that pops up when you first get an email from a list, but if you ignore it and later want to use Apple's system to unsubscribe for you after you ignored that, is there a menu option to get that to work again, or if you passed on it do you just have to do it manually by finding the unsubscribe link in 2pt. font somewhere in the email itself?

I’m pretty sure that unsubscribe feature just scans the email for the linked word “unsubscribe”. It should pop up on every email.

I do notice it doesn’t work if the email uses different working like “no longer receive these emails” or something.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FCKGW posted:

I’m pretty sure that unsubscribe feature just scans the email for the linked word “unsubscribe”. It should pop up on every email.

I do notice it doesn’t work if the email uses different working like “no longer receive these emails” or something.

It unfortunately only seems to pop up once for a particular email address and if you say "no" then it will never scan and give you the pop up again. I'm just wondering if there is an option to reset to scan again since I'm loving sick of a poo poo ton of political ones I'm getting because my drat email has obviously been put on a list.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

DirtyRobot posted:

Karabiner can re-map them. I generally use extra F keys to launch macros via Keyboard Maestro.

Thanks - I obtained it, then in googling how to set it up I realised that BetterTouchTool (which I already use) can do it!

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

japtor posted:

Just wondering, are you using the advanced filters one in AdGuard? I think that’s the old JavaScript style rules (and won’t be as performant), so curious if disabling that one might fix the issue.

(...course then you lose out on those filters :shrug:)

I just left all the settings at default. Will double check if that could be an issue. Tbh, even with AdGuard off, scrolling on the Mini M1 seems a bit choppy if the webpage has video and tweets.

Safari is very quick on the M1, but the experience is still slightly lacking compared to the smoothness in Edge Chromium on my Windows pc and on Safari on the iPad Pro.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On my work Catalina machine, I want to run an Automator script once a week to do cleanup. Is there any way to do this built in to MacOS besides adding a cron job?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

smackfu posted:

On my work Catalina machine, I want to run an Automator script once a week to do cleanup. Is there any way to do this built in to MacOS besides adding a cron job?

Open the Calendar app, you can run an application from a calendar event. Just make a recurring event for it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Very cheeky. I just added a shared drive from my Windows PC to my Mac and the icon for it is a bluescreen of death.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah it's always been like that. It's cool lol. Old rear end beige CRT too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That always felt to me like the kind of joke Jobs must have insisted on personally.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I need VLC to be "always on top." I watch a lot of youtube videos that are streamed to the network VLC feature. It's nice to float the window over my text editor, so I can type away with the video on top to maximize screen space. The Mac company sure doesn't make it obvious, as I see no options for it.

On the subject of VLC, that is the best video player/streamer software right?

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Cheese Thief posted:

I need VLC to be "always on top." I watch a lot of youtube videos that are streamed to the network VLC feature. It's nice to float the window over my text editor, so I can type away with the video on top to maximize screen space. The Mac company sure doesn't make it obvious, as I see no options for it.

On the subject of VLC, that is the best video player/streamer software right?

In my opinion, iina is the macOS video player. Picture-in-picture mode would do what you want.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yea VLC has definitely crossed the software event horizon where every new update now just adds more bloat and cruft nobody wants

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ArcticZombie posted:

In my opinion, iina is the macOS video player. Picture-in-picture mode would do what you want.

woah this looks bitchin'. Thanks!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Movist and Movist Pro are my go tos, particularly for the robust subtitle support, especially for those subs that take advantage of special sub effects.

They also do h.265 without blinking and already have Apple Silicon native support.

Movist is the MAS version, pro is downloadable from their website.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

ArcticZombie posted:

Thanks! Didn’t know I needed this but so happy to have learned about it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

sometimes I imagine what my life what would be without IINA.. i imagine having to use VLC and other open source weird, half-baked video players and i weep.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TACD posted:

Yea VLC has definitely crossed the software event horizon where every new update now just adds more bloat and cruft nobody wants

I miss QuickTime Pro.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Doesn't VLC have the floating window option already?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
What VLC doesn't have, and steadfastly refuses to add, is the ability to pause by clicking on the video. That's reason enough to ditch it, as far as I'm concerned.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on tools to cleanup photo libraries or should I just give Tim Apple more money for more iCloud.

Both the waifu and mother in law have gigantic photo libraries and have duplicates, multiple versions of pictures, etc. that neither of them are going to ever spend any time cleaning up, but would be happy to see what a program could do.

I had good results using PhotoSweeper, from the App Store.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is there any rhyme or reason as to which iPhone apps appear in the App Store for M1 apps? Pretty much all the ones I would want to use on my Mac don’t turn up when I do a search

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

the corona quid posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason as to which iPhone apps appear in the App Store for M1 apps? Pretty much all the ones I would want to use on my Mac don’t turn up when I do a search

Maybe the developer has to check a box before it shows up?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Developers can opt out

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple_silicon/running_your_ios_apps_on_macos#3655400

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
The developers of those apps may have opted out to them being available on macOS.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ahh lame

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ArcticZombie posted:

oh nice, i was wondering if anyone had taken mpv and made it friendlier/added some qol stuff yet. this looks great!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I think a lot of devs would have opted out right away until they can test.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

withak posted:

I think a lot of devs would have opted out right away until they can test.

A lot of them have opted out as well where they have existing methods for users to subscribe or connect through the computer. If the user does it through the app store as opposed to use the dev's own landing page and infrastructure than Apple gets their 30%(?) cut of the revenue.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Also a non negligible number of apps still have a iPhone, iPad and macOS separate app model, merging means lost revenue in that case.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Could someone please provide the name of the utility that monitors your trash can for .app files then automatically adds the corresponding .plist / cache bullshit files that can get left behind when removing an app?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
AppTrap.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

ArcticZombie posted:

That would be cool but it doesn't work. I installed the program via brew --cask. Upon loading, the open per URL option always fails to load. But VLC loads the stream fine. So I have to score VLC 1, IINA 0, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Just open all the video files you want to play in Firefox. :v: