Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I credit Arkham Knight, BotW, and Mario Odyssey for curing me of having to 100% every game I begin. At least with Zelda and Mario, that seems to be by design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I just beat Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (beat as in: finished the three primary storylines) yesterday, and I'm not even remotely tempted to try to do everything on the map. Enormous world, 90% of it is empty landscapes, water, and copy/pasted caves and forts.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Having collectable items that are literally worthless and just there to make you feel good about getting 100% is still better than having hidden collectable items that are "ok you get a disposable +1 sword for the next 2 fights before it runs out of durability and then you're no better than you were before"
It feels real bad to open a secret chest and only get consumables or whatever

RPATDO_LAMD has a new favorite as of 02:44 on Jan 1, 2021

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

I credit Arkham Knight, BotW, and Mario Odyssey for curing me of having to 100% every game I begin. At least with Zelda and Mario, that seems to be by design.

Topical: https://youtu.be/EQrZX1lEKnc

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BiggerBoat posted:

Are you familiar with Riddler trophies?

*screams*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My Batman may be an obsessive detail-oriented psycho, but he does not care in the slightest about collecting Riddler's bullshit doodads :c00lbert:

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

My Batman may be an obsessive detail-oriented psycho, but he does not care in the slightest about collecting Riddler's bullshit doodads :c00lbert:

Meanwhile I want to collect all of them to put that smug motherfucker in his place.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

If he heard Batman say this, Riddler would probably drop dead on the spot

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

christmas boots posted:

If he heard Batman say this, Riddler would probably drop dead on the spot

"I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you....from being terminally lame" :smuggo:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Outer Wilds may be an almost perfect game, but it really trips up when you have to do skill-based stuff every now and then. It wouldn't be bad but if you fail you often have to wait a while before you can try again due to how the game works.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Len posted:

But the island beyond the poop island is 10 arrows

if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's 100 arrows that infinitely respawn so you can farm unlimited arrows beyond the softcap

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tunicate posted:

if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's 100 arrows that infinitely respawn so you can farm unlimited arrows beyond the softcap

it's this guy which according to the map is just 10

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

yeah you just set your teleport marker next to it and go back and forth from there to the nearest shrine, and get 10 arrows every few seconds

or you could save&load I guess if you don't have the DLC, but that takes longer

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tunicate posted:

yeah you just set your teleport marker next to it and go back and forth from there to the nearest shrine, and get 10 arrows every few seconds

or you could save&load I guess if you don't have the DLC, but that takes longer

That isn't at all

Tunicate posted:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oh sorry, catastrophic typo on 10 arrows

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Outer Wilds may be an almost perfect game, but it really trips up when you have to do skill-based stuff every now and then. It wouldn't be bad but if you fail you often have to wait a while before you can try again due to how the game works.

I was loving this game, until on that one planet it turned into a platformer with a time limit (admittedly lax). Being crap at platform games, it sort of soured me on the rest of the game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tunicate posted:

oh sorry, catastrophic typo on 10 arrows

that makes a lot more sense, 100 arrows would definitely be the first response for "arrow farming" lol

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Cythereal posted:

I just beat Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (beat as in: finished the three primary storylines) yesterday, and I'm not even remotely tempted to try to do everything on the map. Enormous world, 90% of it is empty landscapes, water, and copy/pasted caves and forts.

That's one of the things I like about Odyssey, honestly. The game does not incentivize you to do everything. There are no progress bars beyond the region military strength thing, and that doesn't stay empty (if you don't do the battle, it fills up on its own or the other side takes over by themselves).

Now Valhalla, that's a classic Assassin's Creed alright. Progress bars and checklists out the wazoo. Gotta pick up the chests to fill the bar, and do all the side missions to fill the bar, and find enough stuff to make my town better! Eugh. At least in Odyssey when I upgrade my ship it gives me a tangible reward.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

bony tony posted:

That's one of the things I like about Odyssey, honestly. The game does not incentivize you to do everything. There are no progress bars beyond the region military strength thing, and that doesn't stay empty (if you don't do the battle, it fills up on its own or the other side takes over by themselves).

Now Valhalla, that's a classic Assassin's Creed alright. Progress bars and checklists out the wazoo. Gotta pick up the chests to fill the bar, and do all the side missions to fill the bar, and find enough stuff to make my town better! Eugh. At least in Odyssey when I upgrade my ship it gives me a tangible reward.

I appreciate that the game pretends to make a big deal about taking over territory for your chosen side at the beginning. And then does it once more as part of the story, and there is a cultist hidden by doing one. After that, you never need to do them again.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I was in the mood for an arcade racer and after reading reviews about NFS for a while I decided to give racing in GTA V Online another try. I remembered the horrible loading times but had some time.
After loading the online mode for about 5 minutes, it failed to join a session. Another five minutes later I was ingame. I couldn't run, jump or enter a vehicle so I looked up how to fix that. Suggestions were joining a new session, so I did that and still couldn't do the things. After reading some more I found a suggestion to kill myself ingame. That worked, so let's go racing!
As the race started, there was some fog around. Which became denser in a few seconds, so dense in fact that I couldn't even see the road in front of me. So apparently people are still able to mod the game in a way that changes things on other clients. I quit the race, got warned that I may be tagged as a "bad sport". Joined another session, couldn't run/jump again, so I quit the whole game.

Seriously, how is it that rockstar can't control what's happening on their servers? How can someone change things server wide? Last time I tried racing in this game there were modded vehicles in it which had infinite acceleration or some poo poo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

With all of them, in fact

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pseudohog posted:

I was loving this game, until on that one planet it turned into a platformer with a time limit (admittedly lax). Being crap at platform games, it sort of soured me on the rest of the game.

I had that too because it was the first planet I explored, until I left to go explore elsewhere while trying not to get angry. Turns out there were several other options for that planet where rushing and hoping you make it aren't required.

The only one that stayed genuinely annoying was the sand planet because it was a sprint to the bottom if you wanted to read all the lore and fact bits so you needed to have the path more or less memorized.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Riddle me this, Batman: make three laps through this race track in under two minutes

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The way you win against the Riddler is to not put up with any of his bullshit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bony tony posted:

Why is it in the game if there's not a specific, good reason to interact with it?

That's my core problem with Odyssey, the overwhelming majority of the game is just pointless busywork and empty space, and I feel like it comes at a cost to the actually neat and interesting stuff.

But another thing that really bugs me: the resolution to the Cult of Kosmos plot. The reveal of the Ghost, the Cult's leader, is treated as a huge surprise and grand revelation. But for me, at least, it was anything but. The very first clue I got told me who it was. Spoilers:

A woman who holds political power in Athens. Gee, of the grand total of three female characters I met in Athens over the course of the main story, I wonder which one it is. The literal child, the prostitute who was around for ten seconds, or Pericles' wife/concubine who often acted as his second in command and regularly counseled him on politics and affairs of state.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Why is it in the game if there's not a specific, good reason to interact with it?

That's my core problem with Odyssey, the overwhelming majority of the game is just pointless busywork and empty space, and I feel like it comes at a cost to the actually neat and interesting stuff.

That's the core problem with all Ubisoft games.

Well, that and the years of sexual assault.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

bony tony posted:

The way you win against the Riddler is to not put up with any of his bullshit.

No, its by driving real fast.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SiKboy posted:

No, its by driving real fast.

Away from the challenges.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I began playing Arkham Knight this year and got to the end of the Riddler bullshit questline only to see him sink into the floor in his stupid power armor and scream at me about the trophies.

After all of the bullshit I already went through, I will be damned if I'm letting that rear end in a top hat get away without giving him a sock in the jaw. I don't care if it is the most banal, awful collectathon ever, I'm going to get all those stupid lovely trophies one day. :argh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cythereal posted:

That's my core problem with Odyssey BotW, the overwhelming majority of the game is just pointless busywork and empty space, and I feel like it comes at a cost to the actually neat and interesting stuff.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Tales of Berseria: Please stop sexually harassing the poor boy (it's funny though).

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

RabbitWizard posted:

I was in the mood for an arcade racer and after reading reviews about NFS for a while I decided to give racing in GTA V Online another try. I remembered the horrible loading times but had some time.
After loading the online mode for about 5 minutes, it failed to join a session. Another five minutes later I was ingame. I couldn't run, jump or enter a vehicle so I looked up how to fix that. Suggestions were joining a new session, so I did that and still couldn't do the things. After reading some more I found a suggestion to kill myself ingame. That worked, so let's go racing!
As the race started, there was some fog around. Which became denser in a few seconds, so dense in fact that I couldn't even see the road in front of me. So apparently people are still able to mod the game in a way that changes things on other clients. I quit the race, got warned that I may be tagged as a "bad sport". Joined another session, couldn't run/jump again, so I quit the whole game.

Seriously, how is it that rockstar can't control what's happening on their servers? How can someone change things server wide? Last time I tried racing in this game there were modded vehicles in it which had infinite acceleration or some poo poo.

They use peer 2 peer and it's extra bad and broken.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I actually found it incredibly soothing to collect every ? On the AC Odyssey map. No idea why.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
With BotW I find the discovery itself cooler than any reward. I wander around and see a giant labyrinth with a shrine at the center, it’s probably just for one spirit orb, but still I want to go to that place.

Granted I’m someone who likes exploration for its own sake but I think it’s what they’re aiming for. I can’t really think of any open world game where the mechanical rewards for exploration are continually interesting, eventually you know the system well enough. (The original LoZ has sort of a puzzle box feel.)

What I would like to see is an open world game with a really distinct and weird environment. We’ve seen plenty of post-apocalyptic nature preserves, I want neon jungles and giant crystal mountains.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Maxwell Lord posted:

With BotW I find the discovery itself cooler than any reward. I wander around and see a giant labyrinth with a shrine at the center, it’s probably just for one spirit orb, but still I want to go to that place.

Whereas I saw the exact same thing and never explored it, because I knew that the reward was going to be a single spirit orb and I can get one of those way easier elsewhere.

I try not to be that kind of person, but that sort of thinking kept kicking in across both BotW and Mario Odyssey.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Whereas I saw the exact same thing and never explored it, because I knew that the reward was going to be a single spirit orb and I can get one of those way easier elsewhere.

I try not to be that kind of person, but that sort of thinking kept kicking in across both BotW and Mario Odyssey.

I saw a maze, then climbed the walls and skipped it because it wasn't worth the hassle

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I never even saw it because I got bored of the game way way way before then.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean I guess that's it, I don't need there to be a substantial mechanical reward for it to be a cool thing in and of itself.

Like- spoilers for Saints Row 2- - finding the Dev offices doesn't really do anything but give you one more CD and tag, right? But it's still cool.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

VanSandman posted:

Yeah, drop the item, don't use it. I got infinite titanite slabs that way by picking up and dropping 1 (and you bet your rear end there are a bunch of 1/0 toggles in the game code) for like five minutes.

That makes much more sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean I guess that's it, I don't need there to be a substantial mechanical reward for it to be a cool thing in and of itself.

Like- spoilers for Saints Row 2- - finding the Dev offices doesn't really do anything but give you one more CD and tag, right? But it's still cool.

The fact games don't even bother putting in poo poo like that or the insomniac museum in anymore is dragging down every game.