Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Roman posted:

New player here. I'm not looking for objective markers to be added or anything, but after only finding an extraction point once by accident, it would be nice if somewhere the game said "you can buy maps from a vendor" instead of me needing to google it (where the first result was someone on reddit asking how to find extraction points and immediately being called a dumbass). Just growing tired of the constant "need a wiki open at all times" design in every single game.

But I am happy the game runs very well so far because I had checked the game out on twitch and a bunch of people seemed to be playing it at like 20 fps for some reason

The ingame maps are basically useless anyway, so there's no point in buying them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfWar
Feb 23, 2007
YOU ARE NO MATCH FOR ME!!!
So i just bought this today, all I am doing is Scav runs, learning the map, but all player scavs just kill me instantly.
Very steep learning curv but I am getting there, I play Offline PMC waiting for my scav to become available and learn the maps, cant wait to actually play the game somewhat half decent.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Buff Hardback posted:

The ingame maps are basically useless anyway, so there's no point in buying them
Yeah guess I'll just look them up on my second screen. I can't even buy one anyway even though I seem to have enough Rubles?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Don't waste a single rouble on in game maps. Go to the wiki and use the maps there. Your first day in game is going to be spent stumbling around trying to figure out where the hell you are, but you'll learn to recognize landmarks and such pretty quickly.

One thing that can help is understanding extracts. On Customs for example, if your extract is ZB-011 then you spawned on the west end of the map. Actually you spawned on the east end of the map, because the Customs maps on the wiki have south at the top. But in terms of the map you're looking at, you're on the west end somewhere. If your extract is Trailer Park/Crossroads, you're on the east end of the map. From there you can try to narrow down exactly what spot you're at.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Every single time my buddy and I queue customs we spawn by trailer park. Bugged? That can't be the only duo spawn right?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Every single time my buddy and I queue customs we spawn by trailer park. Bugged? That can't be the only duo spawn right?

Nope, just super lucky/unlucky.

The other important thing is map flow. You'll generally spawn on one edge, and your extracts will be on the opposite edge.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
It's happened like 30 times in a row so I can't believe it's luck lol

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

Nope, just super lucky/unlucky.

The other important thing is map flow. You'll generally spawn on one edge, and your extracts will be on the opposite edge.

customs is especially good for learning this because of how linear it is relative to other maps

thankfully since the expansion it’s also wayyyyy less chokepointy (especially if you were new and didn’t know the jumps), and you actually can maneuver around other people

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

It's happened like 30 times in a row so I can't believe it's luck lol

I've duo spawned multiple times yesterday by railroad

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008

Buff Hardback posted:

I've duo spawned multiple times yesterday by railroad

You're welcome for my sacrifice :v:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

LordOfWar posted:

So i just bought this today, all I am doing is Scav runs, learning the map, but all player scavs just kill me instantly.
Very steep learning curv but I am getting there, I play Offline PMC waiting for my scav to become available and learn the maps, cant wait to actually play the game somewhat half decent.

Join the Goon Discord, mark yourself as new to tarkov, and just join a voice channel. Following some goons around gives you a feel for the pacing and movement, as well as what you should be looking for. I am brand new (been playing 2 weeks), and everyone has been more than happy to show me the ropes, help me learn some basics, and help with some quests.

Map knowledge is king, and knowing when to stop running, slow down, and be quiet is probably the number 1 survival tip I can think of. Clomping around a crowded or often contested area is the fastest way to get ambushed.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is anyone else still have 5-10 min game load times on Reserve and the like?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gabriel S. posted:

Is anyone else still have 5-10 min game load times on Reserve and the like?

probably everyone

in addition to holiday drop/wipe induced server load they changed the game so that everyone needs to sync up before the game starts

this eliminates the possibility that PMCs spawn late, but it also means that you can get some fairly brutal load times if someone in your lobby is running things on a potato

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Very first PMC run ever and I get first bullet one shot AI scav sniped in the head as I'm running and jumping. Didn't even see the scav. Cool.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Garfu posted:

Very first PMC run ever and I get first bullet one shot AI scav sniped in the head as I'm running and jumping. Didn't even see the scav. Cool.

welcome to tapkob

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

TVsVeryOwn posted:

welcome to tapkob

Sounds like he got one-tapkob'd

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Huntsman path cold blooded is the stupid quest in this goddamn loving waste of a game WHY DOES IT TAKE FORTY FUCKIN SECONDS FOR THE TREMOR TO KICK IN WHY DO YOU MAKE A QUEST THAT SCREAMS "GO DO IT ON FACTORY" AND THEN MAKE THAT HAPPEN? EVERYONE IS DEAD BEFORE FORTY SECONDS HAVE PASSED IN FACTORY I HAVE GOTTEN A MILLION HEADSHOTS WITH A BROKEN ARM BUT NOPE NO CREDIT, TREMOR IS TAKING ITS SWEET rear end loving TIME

gently caress

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Huntsman path cold blooded is the stupid quest in this goddamn loving waste of a game WHY DOES IT TAKE FORTY FUCKIN SECONDS FOR THE TREMOR TO KICK IN WHY DO YOU MAKE A QUEST THAT SCREAMS "GO DO IT ON FACTORY" AND THEN MAKE THAT HAPPEN? EVERYONE IS DEAD BEFORE FORTY SECONDS HAVE PASSED IN FACTORY I HAVE GOTTEN A MILLION HEADSHOTS WITH A BROKEN ARM BUT NOPE NO CREDIT, TREMOR IS TAKING ITS SWEET rear end loving TIME

gently caress

extremely dumb and near-broken quests are core to the tarkov experience, and imo there's still nothing more egregious than loving "Delivery from the past"

maybe try customs or resort? both have pretty obvious PVP hot zones that take a while for people to reach

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I accidentally healed my fractured arm. loving muscle memory :negative:

It was time to step away from that poo poo for a little while anyway.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Delivery from the past was a breeze. Getting the docs from Customs is nothing. Never seen any action inside Paradigm warehouse.

For Factory I boguht Redut, Maska and flashlight. At least I won't hopefully get oneshot... Well I did a few training runs offline to get used to the Maska's viewport. Yes I went to night raid, because that way Maska is not a problem since everything is black anyways.

In live game I got a dream spawn close by, just ran there, plant (hear gunsounds in distance), exit. Probably the easiest mission I've done in Tarkov this wipe. Least effort, smoothest sailing.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Garfu posted:

My first raid of this wipe lasted 13 seconds. Spawned on customs, squadmate said “there’s two players on top of the hill across the valley”, and I was headshot. As a bonus, the next two raid attempts had matching issues.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Please update me on the quality of said nuts

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

gently caress

No you're wrong.

To get tremor all you need to be is dehydrated.

You can dehydrate with painkillers, you can also use painkillers to remove all the annoying screen effects from it.

Its basically a quest to 'get headshots while having a slow dot on your health you need to periodically heal through' and factory is a lovely place to do it compared to other maps where its easier to aim at peoples heads.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Delivery from the past was a breeze. Getting the docs from Customs is nothing. Never seen any action inside Paradigm warehouse.

For Factory I boguht Redut, Maska and flashlight. At least I won't hopefully get oneshot... Well I did a few training runs offline to get used to the Maska's viewport. Yes I went to night raid, because that way Maska is not a problem since everything is black anyways.

In live game I got a dream spawn close by, just ran there, plant (hear gunsounds in distance), exit. Probably the easiest mission I've done in Tarkov this wipe. Least effort, smoothest sailing.

Delivery from the past can be a breeze when you know the maps like the back of your hand and/or if you luck out, otherwise it can be an exercise in brutal and time-consuming frustration (especially if you're a new player) and its positioning as an essential early Prapor quest that gatekeeps the main questlines means you don't have much of a choice to opt out (even temporarily)

if it was a terminal side-quest or controlled access to a small quest chain and/or if it occurred later in the prapor quest chain I'd have significantly less problems with the way it's set up

and to be fair it might be better for new players since the customs expansion - customs doesn't have the same number of chokepoints it did before, and the construction area being full of good loot seems to means the competition for the big red office is much less intense/murderous

LGD fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 2, 2021

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I was running the Woods Jager quest where you gotta kill 3 scavs without healing, creeping around sunken village at night because I was solo. I spotted a scav out in the open just squatting by the boat house. Easy headshot. Then one of his friends poked his head out of a bush 10 meters in front of me. Another easy headshot. I realized I had run into cultists and decided I should hightail it. Then 2 seconds later I was shot by 3 different scavs aimbotting me through thick brush with suppressed guns, penning my level 4 armor with BP ammo and killing me. Great mechanic BSG really adds a lot to the game.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Scavs can see in the dark and through walls.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The player AI in this game is crazy, which is why i'm slightly worried about the hunting NPC factions that were mentioned earlier. Geared up NPCs actively hunting you with the ability to see through walls seems scary.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Never seen any action inside Paradigm warehouse.

This is the least believable part of this post.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
delivery from the past difficulty is directly correlated to the spawn you get when you go into factory for the second part

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

DrPop posted:

This is the least believable part of this post.

I've been there a couple of times afterwards and only shot one scav. Good loot too...

I did some practice runs offline, and have always a map on 2nd monitor. That way it is a lot quicker to do what you want if you have to do some specific quests.

Of course that means that people who didn't google exact locations and/or have them on another display are in a really bad place. Personally I feel like doing offline excercises helps a lot. It is free and you don't lose anything.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Just spent a few hours running factory with a pistol, had a blast, got a few quests done as well. This game owns.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Simon Numbers posted:

Just spent a few hours running factory with a pistol, had a blast, got a few quests done as well. This game owns.
So do you just try to headshot other PMCs or how does that work out?
Or do you try to grab anything and rush out?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

sum posted:

I was running the Woods Jager quest where you gotta kill 3 scavs without healing, creeping around sunken village at night because I was solo. I spotted a scav out in the open just squatting by the boat house. Easy headshot. Then one of his friends poked his head out of a bush 10 meters in front of me. Another easy headshot. I realized I had run into cultists and decided I should hightail it. Then 2 seconds later I was shot by 3 different scavs aimbotting me through thick brush with suppressed guns, penning my level 4 armor with BP ammo and killing me. Great mechanic BSG really adds a lot to the game.

That was culists

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
yeah they literally say it was cultists in the post

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
me read good :downs:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

PMC finds easy way to wipe a three man - Scavs hate him!

https://streamable.com/n0w6tn

Also lol the soviet tanker helm can stop 9x18mm

https://streamable.com/31laes

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Played some rounds on the discord with goons. A++ would die horribly again and get sherpa’d around. The learning curve is horrible and fun.

Still totally confused about what items/ammo I should/shouldn’t bring into the raid, what I should keep in my butt, etc, but having fun.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LGD posted:

extremely dumb and near-broken quests are core to the tarkov experience, and imo there's still nothing more egregious than loving "Delivery from the past"

Them cutting the hide time for the Factory end of Delivery From The Past is an A++++ QoL move thanks be to Nikita.

(Also just get on Discord and 5-stack that one/all non-PVP Factory quests.)

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_666 posted:

Them cutting the hide time for the Factory end of Delivery From The Past is an A++++ QoL move thanks be to Nikita.

(Also just get on Discord and 5-stack that one/all non-PVP Factory quests.)

Lame, bring a 2 man or 3 man and at least give it a little flavor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I didn't realize they cut factory down to 5 PMCs until I heard Worrun talking about it. Can you still go in with a five-man?