Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Hey Goons With Spooners, new year's resolution is to spend more time in parts of the internet that aren't garbage, so I'll start here!

I got a small ceramic kamado grill for Christmas!

I've really never used one of these, and the instruction material isn't super useful. Does anyone have any tips, advice, recipes I can use to get started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have a similar style one made by Chargriller I found the owners manual that came with it pretty helpful in regards to how to use the dampners to balance the heat.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1960/2909/files/Owners-Manual-06614-E-SPA-FR.pdf?5561

There's a PDF copy of that manual.

Do you have a charcoal chimney starter?

I've done pizzas on it with a super hot fire and done some long slow smokes. Usually it's just fairly hot fire for grilling meat on.

I've found it's pretty efficient on charcoal when you're done cooking if you close the vents up it'll choke out the fire I just dump the charcoal left over back into the chimney starter and light it up again. Maybe add a few fresh chunks depending on how much I will be cooking.

There's also a thread here about smoking meat if you want expert advice about that ask the guys over there.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I got a beefy mortar and pestle for christmas and I can't stop playing with it. I'm mashing up garlic and serrano with sesame oil for ramen noodles, its out of control. What are some of the weird things you guys do with yours?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone have any thoughts on souffle? I never tried making one til this week, but youtube recommended this Pepin video to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xutqSiQri1g

noteworthy: JP doesn't separate his eggs or whip the whites

And that didn't look like a hassle so I gave it a shot and it was a hit, though I think for my household's tastes I'll be cooking it in individual dishes next time so that the interior is less moist. I've watched a couple more videos since then and looked at a few recipes and they all tend towards higher effort and more elaborate. But this afternoon I was reheating some leftovers and thinking about the 31 eggs I have in my fridge, and I got wonder why the souffle has to be made from bechamel at all, since the whole affair gets hot enough to cook the flour anyway. So I whipped an egg with roughly equal parts milk and a tablespoon of flour and some grated cheddar cheese I had already, threw it into a greased/floured custard dish and baked at 400F and 20 minutes later I had a lofty souffle.

Is it my imagination or is souffle really really loving easy, and one of those recipes where everyone complicates the ever living poo poo out of it?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Thumposaurus posted:

I have a similar style one made by Chargriller I found the owners manual that came with it pretty helpful in regards to how to use the dampners to balance the heat.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1960/2909/files/Owners-Manual-06614-E-SPA-FR.pdf?5561

There's a PDF copy of that manual.

Do you have a charcoal chimney starter?

I've done pizzas on it with a super hot fire and done some long slow smokes. Usually it's just fairly hot fire for grilling meat on.

I've found it's pretty efficient on charcoal when you're done cooking if you close the vents up it'll choke out the fire I just dump the charcoal left over back into the chimney starter and light it up again. Maybe add a few fresh chunks depending on how much I will be cooking.

There's also a thread here about smoking meat if you want expert advice about that ask the guys over there.

Thanks!

I guess a chimney starter is the thing I need next, I've always been a gas grill person, so getting all the equipment together to go to charcoal is a good place to start.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Happy New Years GWS, I'd like to branch out and start using the oven more, I think, in 2021.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Is it my imagination or is souffle really really loving easy, and one of those recipes where everyone complicates the ever living poo poo out of it?

Yep.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Re: grater

Cuisipro Surface Glide Technology... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZHU8M0?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

You’ll thank me later.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I have this grater and it’s fantastic, keeps things tidy and mine has a lid so you can grate your cheese, swap the lid and pop it right into the fridge.

Cheese Grater Storage Container, 2 in 1 Multifunction Vegetables Chopper, Easily Shredded the Food into Neat Fine Strip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LPDTG6S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_f8b8FbEREHHS2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Its this. I love making souffles and basking in the undeserved praise

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The classical French soufflé with bechemal thing is probably a holdover from old school French kitchens where you'd always have big batches of mother sauces around and you'd just need to whip some egg whites and fold in cheese or whatever.

The best chocolate soufflé recipe I've used is just egg whites, sugar, and chocolate. You can make them up ahead of time and fridge them or even freeze them and they always bake up super tall and fluffy.

I used to make 100's of them and even had to teach classes to guests paying for cooking classes on how to make them.

I always told them that the old TV thing of oh no my soufflé fell was way overblown.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Oh man, Anova has brought a combi oven to the market for about 600: https://anovaculinary.com/anova-pre...QcaAlbqEALw_wcB

I’m in no need for more kitchen gear in the apartment but something makes me feel like this could be a high quality cabin fixture...

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Oh poo poo! My neighbor down the street does recipe development for Anova and that thing came out right as she was having a baby so she hasn't gotten to do any work with it but it's been sitting around her kitchen and apparently it's loving enormous. Not helpful, I know, but true.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
May I please just vent like a crazy person for a minute about how annoying it is sometimes to find basic numbers on google?

I just wanted to know a temperature for safe sous vide chicken breast and got so many paragraphs about "coming in from a crisp fall day" and "how my grandma used to eat food before her mind finally went."

This is from the top pick, titled How to Cook Sous Vide Chicken Breast.

quote:

What if I told you that chicken breast doesn't have to be bland? That it doesn't have to be dry, stringy, or insipid? Your chicken breast has the potential to be the life of the party, with a level of juiciness you thought only the best pork chops could have. It can be the meal that everyone really wants, not just because it's healthy and inexpensive, but because it's so drat tasty.

The secret to perfect chicken? Temperature control. The kind of down-to-the-degree control that only sous vide cooking can get you. If there's one dish that most dramatically shows the differences between this and traditional cooking methods, it's chicken breast. Luckily, it's also one of the easiest dishes to cook, and this guide will show you how to do it step by step.

Ok cool here we go.

quote:

Chicken is easy enough to cook using traditional methods, so why would you want to cook it sous vide? Take a look at that chicken. Tender enough to cut with a butter knife, glistening with flavorful juices. It's got texture and flavor that just aren't attainable via traditional high-heat cooking methods.

See, traditionally cooked chicken is penetrated by higher heat from the outside in, making it very difficult to gauge exactly what temperature it is from the edges to the center. This presents a problem. In order to ensure that the center of the chicken is cooked through and safe to eat, we inevitably overcook the outer layers, leading to that familiar dry, stringy texture.

With sous vide cooking, we're cooking at precisely the temperature at which we want to serve the meat, which means that by the time we're done, the chicken is cooked perfectly from edge to center.

What's more, as we'll see shortly, cooking chicken sous vide actually allows you to serve it at a slightly lower temperature, preserving valuable and flavorful juices.

I... Ok let's go.

quote:

If we're to believe what our parents always told us, chicken should be cooked to 165°F (74°C). Then again, it's a pretty safe bet your parents had neither modern equipment nor a modern approach to food safety. These two things are what allow us to safely cook chicken to far lower temperatures while achieving more desirable textures. Here's the scoop:

Sous Vide Chicken and Food Safety.

There is a misconception about what constitutes a safe cooking temperature for meat. If you've ever taken a ServSafe class, you've probably heard of the 40–140°F (4–60°C) "danger zone," the temperature range in which bacteria supposedly thrive. You've been given urgent warnings to avoid serving any food that has remained within this range for a total time of four hours. You've probably also heard that in order for chicken to be safe, it ought to be cooked all the way to 165°F.

Here's some numbers not to use?

quote:

Yet sous vide–style precision cooking often takes place well below the 140°F mark, in excess of four hours, and my own recommendation for cooking chicken falls in the 145–150°F (63–66°C) range, well below the 165°F target we've all learned. What gives? Is my sous vide chicken still safe to eat?

Here's the thing: Industry standards for food safety are primarily designed to be simple to understand, usually at the expense of accuracy. The rules are set up such that anybody, from the turn-and-burner at Applebee's to the fry-dunker at McDonald's, can grasp them, ensuring safety across the board. But for single-celled organisms, bacteria are surprisingly complex, and despite what any ServSafe chart might have you believe, they refuse to be categorized into a step function.

Ok I'll try somewhere else. Here's the next one, Easy Sous Vide Chicken Breast Recipe.

quote:

Do you have a new sous vide precision cooker? Or are you just hearing about the sous vide method of cooking?

I’ve been experimenting with sous vide recipes for years now, starting with a hack using a beer cooler and meat thermometer back in my twenties, followed by a contraption that hooked up to a manual slow cooker and took ages to warm up. Finally, finally I have a stick-style sous vide precision cooker, and all my culinary dreams have absolutely come true.

Ugh.

quote:

What is sous vide in the first place?

UGH.

quote:

“Sous vide” means “under vacuum” in French; it’s precision cooking foods in vacuum-sealed pouches at exact temperatures for longer periods of time than you normally cook that ingredient. Here’s how and why it works:

Let’s say you want to cook a boneless skinless chicken breast (Hi. Hello.), which is optimal at about 165º and no more. To cook the very center of a chicken breast to that temperature, you need to cook it from the outside in, in contact with very high heat. This cooks the edge first, followed by the middle, then the very center. Once you get the center up to the right temperature, it makes sense that the edges and middle will be overcooked, right? Because the heat you’re using is quite high.

Sous vide boneless skinless chicken breast whole on a plate with thyme garnish

Cooking sous vide circumvents all of that.

Sous vide precision cookers keep a water bath at a very specific temperature (Like 146.5, as you see here). You vacuum seal up your ingredient so it’s not affected by the water or air and is given the perfect opportunity for some infusion from spices, herbs, or other seasonings. You submerge the sealed ingredient into the water bath and cook it long enough for the heated water to cook your chicken at that exact temperature all the way through to the center.

The edge is as cooked as the very center; the center is as cooked as the very edge. No more, and no less.

Finally, since the Maillard reaction (The browning or caramelization process that occurs when an ingredients has contact with high heat) has not happened, we typically finish off sous vide recipes on a skillet with a bit of fat. The result is the absolutely most tender, perfect chicken breast you’ve ever had. Ever. Period. The end. Because I said so. Sous vide chicken breast recipe = ultimate.

146.5 ok got it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sous vide is not smart to gently caress with if you don't grasp its basic concepts. Sorry, the first article was totally correct about not having one magic number.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Rolo posted:

May I please just vent like a crazy person for a minute about how annoying it is sometimes to find basic numbers on google?

I just wanted to know a temperature for safe sous vide chicken breast and got so many paragraphs about "coming in from a crisp fall day" and "how my grandma used to eat food before her mind finally went."

You really should be prepared for that with any The Food Lab article. Kenji has never given a short straight answer to anything in his life. You'll get 15 paragraphs on the what the why and the many different hows that you could do for a given subject. Especially with things like sousvide cooking.

Edit: also what Anne Whateley said.

It's a valid complaint about a lot of things in the cooking world, but for things like sous vide cooking or canning or curing, you really should not trust the first random quick answer you get off Google. None of what you quoted was the bullshit "on a fall day" or "my grandma's favorite" or "On 9/11 I was"

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 3, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok I’ll admit those are bad examples and I oversimplified. I‘ll chill out and enjoy food today.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 3, 2021

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The reason for this is because you cannot legally copyright a recipe.

A cookbook sells on the basis of the reputation of the author, or the quality of the pictures, or the type of person owning the book suggests you are, and you make money from people buying your book.

How do you make money by publishing a basic recipe on your website that is replicated a million times elsewhere? You can’t: so you have to fill your webpage with a load of stuff that can be copyrighted, so that you have some form of intellectual property surrounding the recipe.

Some websites, like seriouseats and the Guardian, do a great job of actually providing some useful content and analysis around the recipe itself. Most go the much easier route of telling a trite story about how you enjoyed eating this dish in a Parisienne bistro during your gap year or when your parents paid for you to tour Italy eating salami.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Also it helps with search ranking from what I hear. Anyway there's a great chrome extension that cuts out all the bullshit and just makes a small popup of the recipe for you.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My wife enjoys the stories, I'll go tell her she's wrong

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

My wife enjoys the stories, I'll go tell her she's wrong

Does she call you hubby?

I'm sure she's a lovely lady

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It was a cold January afternoon...

...and after the argument that followed i will show you how to make an amazing poached egg ramen from a hotel room microwave.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Does she call you hubby?

I'm sure she's a lovely lady

More likely her DH but it will be STBXH after he tells his DW she's wrong and whatever other insane creations spawn from relationship groups

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I feel like hubby is more specific to food/crafting blogs than it is to r/relationships nonsense.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Scientastic posted:

The reason for this is because you cannot legally copyright a recipe.

A cookbook sells on the basis of the reputation of the author, or the quality of the pictures, or the type of person owning the book suggests you are, and you make money from people buying your book.

How do you make money by publishing a basic recipe on your website that is replicated a million times elsewhere? You can’t: so you have to fill your webpage with a load of stuff that can be copyrighted, so that you have some form of intellectual property surrounding the recipe.

Some websites, like seriouseats and the Guardian, do a great job of actually providing some useful content and analysis around the recipe itself. Most go the much easier route of telling a trite story about how you enjoyed eating this dish in a Parisienne bistro during your gap year or when your parents paid for you to tour Italy eating salami.

I also happen to like food writing as a genre, so the short answer is: buy the drat book and use the reference tables up front.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

We helped moderate a Facebook cooking group for a while, and one poster kept calling her husband "king daddy" and since she was contributing, kind, and not breaking any rules we kept approving her posts

It was months later she revealed that "king daddy" was a nickname her grandchildren gave her husband instead of grandpa / paw paw / whatever which makes it a little less weird I think?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rolo posted:

This is from the top pick, titled How to Cook Sous Vide Chicken Breast.

Ok cool here we go.

I... Ok let's go.

Here's some numbers not to use?

Ok I'll try somewhere else. Here's the next one, Easy Sous Vide Chicken Breast Recipe.

Ugh.

UGH.

146.5 ok got it.

When I am looking up recipes that crap also drives me mad. As someone has said, I think it’s to help with search engine optimisation by increasing the time of engagement with the page.

BrianBoitano posted:

We helped moderate a Facebook cooking group for a while, and one poster kept calling her husband "king daddy" and since she was contributing, kind, and not breaking any rules we kept approving her posts

It was months later she revealed that "king daddy" was a nickname her grandchildren gave her husband instead of grandpa / paw paw / whatever which makes it a little less weird I think?

Nope, that’s awesome. I’d love to be called king daddy if I was a grandfather.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

I remember that person. Maybe we're thinking of different groups but I saw the explanation on one of her first posts so it was definitely less weird.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Food52 cookbook club? I may have missed it but if so, so did the other 3 mods :shobon:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

therattle posted:

When I am looking up recipes that crap also drives me mad. As someone has said, I think it’s to help with search engine optimisation by increasing the time of engagement with the page

It drives me absolutely mad and it’s why I just own a hundred cookbooks instead.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It drives me absolutely mad and it’s why I just own a hundred cookbooks instead.

Often I’ll have an idea for a dish and I will want to check a few recipes to see how they do it (and check that my idea isn’t crazy). Once I’ve got some ideas I often take elements from various recipes I’ve looked at and make my own version, but it’s useful to have access to all those alternatives.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Gonna do my annual plug for EatYourBooks.com if you have tons of cookbooks. Basically any mainstream cookbook is indexed so you can search e.g. "egg whites" instead of checking each book's index. It doesn't have the actual recipes, mind you, unless they're also available online, it just lets you find things. It lists ingredients too, just not quantities, so if you're at the grocery store you can usually get what you need.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Check out this shop:
https://chopvalue.com/collections/all

The guy had the idea of collecting used chopsticks and making stuff from them. Terrific idea and some nice designs.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/04/waste-not-wontons-innovator-recycled-32m-restaurant-chopsticks

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Nifty, but it’s more decoration than actual structural bits, no?

Also anybody ever smoke boudin blanc? I have about half a pound leftover from last Xmas and the lady doesn’t play with any blood sausage that isn’t planning our wedding.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

idk if that would fit in my pipe

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don’t mind “this apple tart recipe is in honor of my grandfather, the gardener. Let me tell you his story...” pages so long as they have the “jump to recipe” button easily visible at the top of the page that I will invariably miss until I visit the site at a later date :(

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I understand and even appreciate the long stories about the family recipe from an ownership standpoint, my biggest issue with these recipe sites is that between the long stories, pop-ups, long white gaps where ads should load but don't, and ads that load late so scrolling gets messed up, these sites are absolutely hell to use on mobile, which is what you're most likely using unless you drag your laptop to the kitchen, filled with dust and liquids.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Recipe Filter

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Vargo posted:

I understand and even appreciate the long stories about the family recipe from an ownership standpoint, my biggest issue with these recipe sites is that between the long stories, pop-ups, long white gaps where ads should load but don't, and ads that load late so scrolling gets messed up, these sites are absolutely hell to use on mobile, which is what you're most likely using unless you drag your laptop to the kitchen, filled with dust and liquids.

I have a cheap chromebook just for use in the kitchen. I was using my phone for ages and this is such a quality of life improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
If you’re on ios, paprika is a paid app that does a great job stripping out just the recipe and also organizing all your recipes