Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone see Tonon's latest fight in onefc and want to discuss his back control techniques?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Anyone see Tonon's latest fight in onefc and want to discuss his back control techniques?

Matshima did very well in defending himself from getting submitted. I think there was a lot of glove holding going on. Garry also performed the Dagestani Handcuff iirc, the first time I think he's done it.

the full fight is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMcuP6m0KJM

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

Matshima did very well in defending himself from getting submitted. I think there was a lot of glove holding going on. Garry also performed the Dagestani Handcuff iirc, the first time I think he's done it.

the full fight is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOHOCz7Imi4

the one you've linked is geoblocked for me but this one works.

What really impressed me was round 2 - there's the series where he switches over to that cross-body overhook once he has trapped the arm. I've been watching how he maintains back control through that. There are two occasions where he's almost in mount or half guard, but with that contact point on the back of the neck via the overhook, but then he gets back to the proper back position as if he had never actually left it. I think there's some kind of principle of back control at play in how he holds on to that, and I'm trying to put my finger on what it is.

Part of it is that with the overhook and (what I'll call) semi-crucifix trapped arm that he's able to maintain a diagonal control that keeps Matsushima from turning into him, but there's something else...

On top of that, there was a sequence where he raked the face while switching his head that I saw the first time Iw atched it but I haven't been able to find it again.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

the full fight is here:

drat. I need to watch more of his fights. Gary is on another level with his grappling.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Very into Matsushima exhibiting the ultimate grappling submission defense, "being a strong wrestleguy"

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

I did but I was too perplexed by the mullet to focus.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sorry the timestamps for the sequence I'm interetsed in:

Second round, he traps the arm at 2:50, and starts really working what I'm calling the underhook at 2:25, and from 2:00 to about 1:50 is the sequence that made me perk up. There's a moment there where he 100% does not at all look like he has back control even in the slightest, but then when they turn over he is just in proper back again. It's like he had it but it didn't look like he had it.

Again, I can follow what happened, but I'm trying to suss out the principle of how having the head stuffed with that underhook resulted in him never losing control despite their bodies separating quite far from "back control".

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Sorry the timestamps for the sequence I'm interetsed in:

Second round, he traps the arm at 2:50, and starts really working what I'm calling the underhook at 2:25, and from 2:00 to about 1:50 is the sequence that made me perk up. There's a moment there where he 100% does not at all look like he has back control even in the slightest, but then when they turn over he is just in proper back again. It's like he had it but it didn't look like he had it.

Again, I can follow what happened, but I'm trying to suss out the principle of how having the head stuffed with that underhook resulted in him never losing control despite their bodies separating quite far from "back control".

I think it’s a combination of where he puts his weight and a couple of submission threats.

At 2:50 he’s kind of got diagonal control: His head stays tight on one shoulder and doesn’t let uke’s head touch the ground, and his bottom leg is controlling the opposite hip a little bit. He’s taken the top foot off the hip to try and slide uke’s arm behind his own back, and uke is struggling to keep the arm in front of his body, I think that’s where the control comes from. If Tonon has the arm trapped and slides his foot down uke’s back, it’ll become a 2 vs 1 arm fight for the RNC.

What’s interesting at 2:25 is that Tonon can’t raise his left arm so he brings his right arm over the top to lever his left arm up to where he wants it. I’m not totally sure what his positioning is about here, but Tonon has hit some famously-good guillotines and is known to set it up from this kind of position. His right arm would grab behind the knee of his right leg (going in front of uke’s chest/face) and that would give uke the illusion that he can escape in that direction. But it’s bait, the right arm can spring into a deep guillotine if he takes it.

While this is happening, Tonon’s right leg is getting heavy and pinching inwards. He’s got a path to mount, and putting all his weight on the top leg means that the bottom leg has enough space to move out from under the body if he wants to.

I don’t totally get what’s happening between 2:00 and 1:50 - it looks like there’s a mount opportunity but he gets swept off, but his weird arm position has worked like an underhook, keeping uke’s arm separated from his body. As he rolls through to a chair sit position, he can punch his arm through (because he kept the space open) with a more traditional underhook, which might become an armbar or a kimura or a path back to the RNC.

I’ve watched tons of Tonon’s stuff, he tends to do very fundamental stuff in extremely weird ways, like he follows the same principles as everyone else but just does unpredictable variations of everything. I think his back control here is a combination of diagonal (far hip/near shoulder) control and fear of submissions.

edit: Here’s an old video where Tonon shows the kind of guillotine i’m talking about

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc9Q4c5fKIw

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 9, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

hmm it's that 2:00 to 1:50 section that has me most intrigued. Thanks overall though. I like that guillotine and I see how it fits in.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

It's basically just a crucifix against turtle, probably more familiar to people who do sambo/judo since it's a way to work pins against opponents defending after a throw.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
drat I've tried that guillotine off back escape but didn't stick with it as a drill

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's basically just a crucifix against turtle, probably more familiar to people who do sambo/judo since it's a way to work pins against opponents defending after a throw.

If its not a clean ippon it almost always transitions into a lapel choke/bow and arrow from turtle as in judo that opponent doesnt want to stay anywhere in a position where they would be put on their back. Control of the opposite arm isnt as essential.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

If its not a clean ippon it almost always transitions into a lapel choke/bow and arrow from turtle as in judo that opponent doesnt want to stay anywhere in a position where they would be put on their back. Control of the opposite arm isnt as essential.

okay but I'm talking about the cool kind of judo where people actually use a variety of moves

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Sometimes when I am triangling someone from guard they gable grip their hands on my belly and make strong arms and it makes it very hard to cut an angle and finish the choke. How do I get around this?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Sometimes when I am triangling someone from guard they gable grip their hands on my belly and make strong arms and it makes it very hard to cut an angle and finish the choke. How do I get around this?

Handfight to break their frame?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 10, 2022

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

I think you can do what Joe Doerksen told me to do, and bridge your hips, which flattens your body out, and allows you to arm drag their arm that is in the triangle. Then stop bridging and go back to cutting the angle/crunching them now that that resistance is gone.

I think I understand the resistance that you're describing your opponent is doing.

I feel like bridging is the secret sauce for like 70% of "how do I finish triangle" issues

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
This might be very different with higher belts trying to resist the triangle but I always like the option of sweeping my opponent. I have plenty of room then base my arms, level my hips parallel to the ground, and pinch my knees together for the finish. It's hard to image the sweep with uke's arm frame resistance. It's been a while.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I feel like the answer is usually to pull his hips into you and break his posture, but since he’s framing on you get your hands behind his from the outside then do a wax-off motion at the same time as the hip pull. Hold his head once ge goes down to keep his posture broken.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Also to starkebn or anybody else in Brisbane:

We put this on Facebook last night and it's already about 25% of the way to sold out. I bought an extra ticket to both days by accident so hit me up.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

We put this on Facebook last night and it's already about 25% of the way to sold out. I bought an extra ticket to both days by accident so hit me up.

Thanks man, I'll think about it

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I've been to a Lachlan (and Olivia) seminar before Covid and it was awesome. Seminar was packed and he spent a lot of time with each student. Rolled with anyone who wanted to roll. Highly recommended if you get a chance.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

okay but I'm talking about the cool kind of judo where people actually use a variety of moves

Right gotcha, a lot of takedowns can lead to a lot of different positions for BJJ.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Good arm triangle video from Lord Giles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqYw8uqkBgQ

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

i don't know what it is or why but i get so much more out of 7 minutes of giles than 30 minutes of danaher, hall, or basically anyone else

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

i don't know what it is or why but i get so much more out of 7 minutes of giles than 30 minutes of danaher, hall, or basically anyone else

With Danaher I feel that a good amount of what he teaches would be better taught with him being right there helping you out with certain positions. Hes a master of details. Take Hantai Sankaku for example (opposite side triangle), I have tried to get my body into that position, with very little success.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

He doesn't address it but I love the use of a Gable grip here. I always found the traditional arm triangle finish difficult to finagle, and this ignores that set up nearly completely in favor of pure pressure and just keeping your body close to your opponent.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like how Danaher walks through little details that I would have never thought about, but I tend to get more broad-strokes info from a Giles vid.

Now on this one the question I have is what stops uke from bridging him up and to the left when he does that slide through the tripod to the mat just before dismounting. That's a pretty big hole in his base.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I imagine if you bridged him over you’d end up in closed guard and the choke would get even tighter.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'd watch danaher if he didn't physically repulse me

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I imagine if you bridged him over you’d end up in closed guard and the choke would get even tighter.

You think so? I'd much rather be fighting an arm triangle from (me on) the top than from underneath. Plus it opens up space to get the arm out as you go over.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Gordon has a video out there somewhere where he shows how to setup and finish the head and arm triangle. The detail is the same as the regular triangle involving the head: eliminating the gap. That seems to be the single biggest reason I have seen for people not finishing. Once that problem is addressed, the sub is relatively straight forward.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
actually the reason gordon isn't able to finish this sub is because he leaves a gap in his hate speech where jiujitsu is allowed to keep conversation sanitised and palatable :)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

You think so? I'd much rather be fighting an arm triangle from (me on) the top than from underneath. Plus it opens up space to get the arm out as you go over.

Personally I’m more afraid of being arm triangled when I’m on top, I got murdered that way in a competition once.

If you leave a question on one of his videos he’ll probably answer, he’s more likely to respond on reddit rather than youtube.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Personally I’m more afraid of being arm triangled when I’m on top, I got murdered that way in a competition once.

If you leave a question on one of his videos he’ll probably answer, he’s more likely to respond on reddit rather than youtube.

or IG.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Gordon has a video out there somewhere where he shows how to setup and finish the head and arm triangle. The detail is the same as the regular triangle involving the head: eliminating the gap. That seems to be the single biggest reason I have seen for people not finishing. Once that problem is addressed, the sub is relatively straight forward.

Is it the "its sorta a jerking off motion" explanation he did?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Yeah when I'm on top I feel like my opponent loses the benefit of gravity and the blocking effect of the mat for me trying to get my arm out.

Reddit? Youtube comments? Ugh...

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mekchu posted:

Is it the "its sorta a jerking off motion" explanation he did?

Thats the one :D

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I'm watching The Sopranos for the 30th time, and just noticed that in Season 2 Episode 6 The Happy Wanderer, there's a scene where Ritchie Aprile grabs Davey Scatino by the collar and Tony steps in and smoothly pummels an underhook to get control of Ritchie, pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7BHfJOgm80&t=140s

Nice overhook Tone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eviIklReqYE&t=89s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

rolled with lachlan giles today and sadly, unbelievably, i did not tap him