Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Follow the money, thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I tried to, but it's just sitting on the counter not moving.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
you know the lady ghislaine, the boat her dad owned and fell off of and died? i was seeing if it was still around and apparently it is, and i cannot afford it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_Hare

quote:

Dancing Hare (formerly Lady Ghislaine and Lady Mona K) is a superyacht built by Amels in 1986.

Built for Emad Khashoggi, she was subsequently purchased by Robert Maxwell, who died by drowning while cruising on her off the Canary Islands. She was subsequently owned by an Arabian businessman, who sold her in 2017.[2] The new owners had her refitted at the Balk Shipyard in Urk, Netherlands, over the winter, and subsequently renamed her Dancing Hare.[3]

also, the ghis totally wrote this article in her time off reddit

quote:

Built in 1986 for Emad Khashoggi by Amels of Makkum, Netherlands, she was the first of numerous classic Jon Bannenberg-designed super yachts.[4] With a well-flared bow, lozenge-shaped ports, vertical windows and mullions, and handsomely sculpted mast complex, she is a classic work of the designer Bannenberg. For her time, she was a ground-breaking yacht as well.[4] Among her many trendsetting features imagined by Bannenberg, which is almost standard today, is a gymnasium on the upper deck that can be open for fresh air or closed to the elements. Dancing Hare features later classical Bannenberg signatures, including use of symmetry and asymmetry to create spaces that are inviting for their spaciousness as well as their intimacy.[4]

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Quotey posted:

...intimacy...

Kid touch confirmed, throw the book at this freak

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Why didn't Epstein and Maxwell set up a form of dead man's switch to protect themselves from being murdered in prison? I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but the Epstein suicide is too hard to ignore (obviously, with all the memes). It seems like the smart thing to do would set up a way for all the information to leak if they were ever harmed.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Epstein was reportedly dumb as a box of rocks. Idk about Maxwell, though.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

Why didn't Epstein and Maxwell set up a form of dead man's switch to protect themselves from being murdered in prison?
they did, it was called covid-19 :troll:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What makes you think there wasn't a dead man switch?!?

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

All I see is a dead man snitch

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That's what they want you to think. Obviously they just rescued Epstein and switched him for a dead man.

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Laputian Epstein

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Ghislaine is coming to a TV screen near you!

A chart-topping true crime podcast about Ghislaine Maxwell from U.K. radio station LBC is being adapted for television.

Sony Pictures Television-backed Eleventh Hour Films has nabbed screen rights to “Hunting Ghislaine” from LBC (Leading Britain’s Conversation) and outdoor media powerhouse Global. Plans are underway to make a limited drama series based on the IP.

Launched in November 2020, and written and presented by award-winning investigative journalist and author John Sweeney (BBC “Panorama,” The Observer), the six-part podcast was co-commissioned by Global and Dentsu-backed The Story Lab.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/hunting-ghislaine-podcast-tv-series-1234883555/

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Always entangled, this bastard...

DONALD TRUMP triggered a family fallout between Ghislaine Maxwell and her "abusive" father, media tycoon Robert Maxwell, according to an investigative journalist... she is the youngest daughter of late media tycoon, Robert Maxwell, and was once a socialite who had connections within the highest levels of society.

Her father set her up with a “corporate gift business” at one point, and almost put her in contact with the then business magnate Mr Trump in the Eighties.

In the newly released true crime podcast, ‘Power: The Maxwells’, investigative journalist Tara Palmeri looked into how Mr Trump's name ended up causing a huge row between Mr Maxwell and his favourite daughter.

Mr Maxwell’s former secretary Carol Bragoli told her: “Maxwell would expect everyone he knew in business to buy them [the corporate gifts] off her, so she didn’t have to go out and sell it. She just had to say whose daughter she was and they sold themselves, I suspect.”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1384471/donald-trump-news-ghislaine-maxwell-trial-robert-maxwell-jeffrey-epstein-row-spt

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

CocoaNuts posted:

Always entangled, this bastard...

DONALD TRUMP triggered a family fallout between Ghislaine Maxwell and her "abusive" father, media tycoon Robert Maxwell, according to an investigative journalist... she is the youngest daughter of late media tycoon, Robert Maxwell, and was once a socialite who had connections within the highest levels of society.

Her father set her up with a “corporate gift business” at one point, and almost put her in contact with the then business magnate Mr Trump in the Eighties.

In the newly released true crime podcast, ‘Power: The Maxwells’, investigative journalist Tara Palmeri looked into how Mr Trump's name ended up causing a huge row between Mr Maxwell and his favourite daughter.

Mr Maxwell’s former secretary Carol Bragoli told her: “Maxwell would expect everyone he knew in business to buy them [the corporate gifts] off her, so she didn’t have to go out and sell it. She just had to say whose daughter she was and they sold themselves, I suspect.”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1384471/donald-trump-news-ghislaine-maxwell-trial-robert-maxwell-jeffrey-epstein-row-spt

lmao everything he touches turns to poo poo, even something that was poo poo to begin with!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Laterite posted:

lmao everything he touches turns to poo poo, even something that was poo poo to begin with!

What about Home Alone 2? Even a nominal touch should've turned it into a disaster, but I could name worse Christmas movies.

I sure as hell could also name better, but that's besides the point!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

THE BAR posted:

What about Home Alone 2? Even a nominal touch should've turned it into a disaster, but I could name worse Christmas movies.

I sure as hell could also name better, but that's besides the point!

yeah, like home alone 1

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I liked the look of the toy store when I was little. :(

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Tuesday.

Tuesday could bring Ghislaine's "get out of jail free" card...

Trump reportedly plans to issue around 100 pardons Tuesday
Source: Marketwatch

President Donald Trump plans to pardon or commute the sentences of around 100 people Tuesday, according to reports Sunday night.

CNN first reported the plans, and said White House officials met Sunday night to finalize the list. Axios separately confirmed the report.

The actions are expected to include white-collar criminals and political allies, along with some reform-minded pardons, according to the reports. But CNN said Trump is not expected to pardon himself.

CNN reported Tuesday’s batch of pardons are expected to be all that are coming, barring a last-minute change of heart in which Trump could break with the plan and pardon himself or family members.

Advisers have warned Trump against pardoning himself because it would imply guilt, CNN reported, and have also recommended against clemency for any Capitol rioters.

Read more: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-reportedly-plans-to-issue-around-100-pardons-tuesday-11610940018?mod=mw_latestnews

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He wouldn't. There's no way, right? Nobody can be that evil.

EDIT: Transparently evil, I should have said.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

He's pardoned some pretty bad dudes. Plus his crazy Q fanbase would instantly defend the move despite it undermining everything they claim to believe.

It's too funny not to happen.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
He can pardon federal crimes. Not state crimes.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Perhaps this will finally be the kick the American people need to abolish the absurd idea that the president can bail his mates out of jail like a tinpot dictator

joke nothing ever improves, all glory to the gods of entropy

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

I've given up on making a difference to this world (we're too far gone) but I have great hopes for my next life which my spiritual advisor has assured will be "heaps epic"

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Uh-oh. The nutters are intervening.

Ghislaine Maxwell court hearing disrupted by apparent QAnon followers

A court proceeding on documents in civil litigation against the jailed British socialite and accused sex trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell was interrupted on Tuesday when the judge became aware of an unlawful live stream being viewed by numerous apparent followers of the QAnon conspiracy theory.

“Judge, I need to interrupt. I was just informed that apparently somebody is broadcasting this on to YouTube, so I don’t know if you want to give a reminder that that is illegal to do,” the deputy clerk told the Manhattan federal court judge Loretta Preska.

“Whoever is doing it, you are operating against the law,” Preska said of this stream, which attracted 14,000 listeners. “I suspect there is a way to find out. So I will ask you, most respectfully, to stop doing it.”

“We have had enough of lack of the rule of law around here. Let’s try to observe it.”

The stream shut down shortly thereafter.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/19/ghislaine-maxwell-court-proceeding-qanon

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Poop has been touched

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
That's relatively harmless, let me know when they decide that she's actually an undercover operative tryin to save us from the pedophiles.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Um, nice try. But no loving way!

https://twitter.com/JayShams/status/1354129168372543489

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
They would have argued the exact opposite point if it were the other way. Really grasping at straws here.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sgt. Politeness posted:

They would have argued the exact opposite point if it were the other way. Really grasping at straws here.

Yeah I can't see how it would make a difference in this case. There could be precedent where an all white jury was considered unfair to a person of colour, but white people judging white people isn't generally considered a thing where race matters.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah I can't see how it would make a difference in this case. There could be precedent where an all white jury was considered unfair to a person of colour, but white people judging white people isn't generally considered a thing where race matters.

Yeah are they implying that people of color would go easier on her over sex trafficking and pedophilia crimes? Because she's a little jewish/foreign maybe?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I suspect it's because they think POC would be less likely to trust cops/prosecutors/etc.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Or they are just trying to gum things up because they know she is guilty as poo poo and it's an open and shut case.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I don't understand the diversity argument, but this part of the 6th:
"impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed"

I could see lawyers trying to argue on a technicality. IANAL though; anyone know if there is precedence for a jury pool being selected from elsewhere and the courts were a-okay with it?

Not defending her or anything stupid, just trying to understand the angle they are shooting for.

Is it because she is accused of crimes in multiple states, and that opens up the doors for jurors from anywhere?

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 27, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Internetjack posted:

IANAL though; anyone know if there is precedence for a jury pool being selected from elsewhere and the courts were a-okay with it?

plenty, it's a thing that happens to minority defendants

Internetjack posted:

Not defending her or anything stupid, just trying to understand the angle they are shooting for.

ride on the coattails of a legitimate socjus issue for which legit lawyers will send in amicus letters because it's lovely when it happens to minority defendants so it would be good if it didn't happen to anyone, including white lady sex traffickers

don't worry though, even if this is successful the prosecutors can go back and do the grand jury again in manhattan

which will probably take months since the reason they went outside NYC is the pandemic

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Internetjack posted:

I don't understand the diversity argument, but this part of the 6th:
"impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed"

I could see lawyers trying to argue on a technicality. IANAL though; anyone know if there is precedence for a jury pool being selected from elsewhere and the courts were a-okay with it?

The OJ Simpson trial.

quote:

District Attorney Gil Garcetti elected to file charges in downtown Los Angeles, as opposed to Santa Monica, in which jurisdiction the crimes took place.[120] The Los Angeles Superior Court then decided to hold the trial in Downtown Los Angeles instead of Santa Monica due to safety issues[clarification needed] at the Santa Monica Court house. The decision may have affected the trial's outcome because it resulted in a jury pool that was less educated, had lower incomes, and contained more African Americans.[121] Richard Gabriel, a jury consultant for Simpson, wrote that more educated jurors with higher incomes are more likely to accept the validity of DNA evidence and the argument that domestic violence is a prelude to murder. Gabriel notes that African Americans, unlike other minorities, are far more likely to be receptive to the claim of racially motivated fraud by the police.[120]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._J._Simpson_murder_case#Jury

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Ah, thanks for the replies. Was trying to understand the game they are playing; that helps a lot.

Also, more folks getting named:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jeffrey-epstein-tied-to-leon-black-other-business-leaders-183455607.html

And yeah before anyone says it, I know it is yahoo news, I'm old school.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Did I mention that this whole affair was really Jeffrey's responsibility? You know, dead Jeffrey. I'm just sort of a scapegoat and a pound of flesh now, says Ghislaine.

Financier Jeffrey Epstein's ex-girlfriend claims she is being prosecuted on sex abuse charges that could put her in prison for life because Epstein killed himself and prosecutors wanted a substitute to replace him with, lawyers said in newly unsealed court papers.

Ghislaine Maxwell's lawyers challenged the case brought against their client last July on multiple grounds in papers filed last week and unsealed on Thursday with some redactions.

“One does not need to engage in complex analysis to understand what has happened here: the government has sought to substitute our client for Jeffrey Epstein, even if it means stretching — and ultimately exceeding — the bounds of the law,” the lawyers wrote in the Manhattan federal court documents.

“The government’s sudden zeal to prosecute Ms. Maxwell for alleged conduct with Epstein in the 1990s — conduct for which the government never even charged Epstein — follows a history that is both highly unusual and deeply troubling," they added.

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Jeffrey-Epstein-s-ex-girlfriend-blames-arrest-on-15926763.php

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Still seeking bail...

Ghislaine Maxwell offered to give up her U.K. and French citizenships in a renewed attempt to be released on bond before her trial on sex-trafficking charges tied to her former boyfriend Jeffrey Epstein.

A federal judge in Manhattan had already twice rejected Maxwell’s bail requests, most recently in December when the Oxford-educated socialite offered to put up US$28.5 million, backed by her unidentified husband who she said would ensure she wouldn’t flee the country.

In opposing bail, prosecutors have argued that Maxwell could flee to France, where she was born and which doesn’t extradite its citizens to the U.S. But her lawyer, Bobbi Sternheim, said Maxwell was willing to renounce her citizenships in the two countries if it resulted in her release. Maxwell is also a U.S. citizen.

“Citizenship is a precious and priceless asset,” Sternheim wrote in a letter to the judge. “Ms. Maxwell’s decision to give up citizenship from the country of her birth and the country of her upbringing demonstrates her earnestness to abide by the conditions of her release and underscores that she has no intention to flee.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/ghislaine-maxwell-would-trade-u-k-french-citizenships-to-get-bail-her-lawyer-says

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
How can you be a citizen of the UK, France, and the US at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

A Strange Aeon posted:

How can you be a citizen of the UK, France, and the US at the same time?

I have four passports :smuggo: