Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
What are ye on about, she's hosed. Her days are NUMBERED

Honestly though I dunno how its supposed to garner sympathy for him, the only type of person I've seen get milkshaked have been full on rear end in a top hat fascists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Shes probably a YFG'er who is pissed he didn't come down hard enough on refugees or something.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shoehead posted:

What are ye on about, she's hosed. Her days are NUMBERED

Honestly though I dunno how its supposed to garner sympathy for him, the only type of person I've seen get milkshaked have been full on rear end in a top hat fascists
You're online. The people Leo is aiming to rally in his defence get all their news from RTE.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

Chief Justice tells Seamus Woulfe he 'should resign'

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm shocked you guys, so shocked that there's talk now of more lockdowns past Christmas. Jesus can you imagine my surprise??

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Insert pikachu face meme here.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I’m mad nearly every day at how we have handled this. All my colleagues in the EU are bunkering down for their lockdowns and here we are asking for restaurants to be allowed stay open even longer and it appears everyone coming home from the UK for the holidays. Extremely not cool.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

I'm shocked you guys, so shocked that there's talk now of more lockdowns past Christmas. Jesus can you imagine my surprise??

Look at my grumpy rear end last week who still didnt know how weird things were about to get, lol

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

At least the travel ban means my flights are properly cancelled so Ryanair have to give me a refund.

I'd rather be at home with my parents though... :sigh:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

DUP currently blocking attempts to close off GB to NI travel so I'm sure there will be plenty of folks quickly rebooking flights to Belfast and grabbing the enterprise/bus down over the next few days

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
A friend's boyfriend has been up and down from Derry constantly since October and he keeps pulling the dumbest poo poo out of his rear end to excuse it like declaring my friend is "part of his bubble" somehow so it's ok if he crosses the border after 3 weeks in Derry, travels to Dublin to meet his new roommate and then continues on to Wicklow to stay with him and his mother for a week. It's like a no-backsies but with Covid-19

Which is to saw we're doomed :woop:

(also he apparently spent the last time he was in their house listening to the new Taylor Swift on repeat out loud to the point that my friend's ma wants him to break up with him)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Shoehead posted:

A friend's boyfriend has been up and down from Derry constantly since October and he keeps pulling the dumbest poo poo out of his rear end to excuse it like declaring my friend is "part of his bubble" somehow so it's ok if he crosses the border after 3 weeks in Derry, travels to Dublin to meet his new roommate and then continues on to Wicklow to stay with him and his mother for a week. It's like a no-backsies but with Covid-19

(also he apparently spent the last time he was in their house listening to the new Taylor Swift on repeat out loud to the point that my friend's ma wants him to break up with him)

This just sounds like something out of Father Ted.
"Is he as bad as Hitler?
No, Hitler wouldn't listen to Taylor Swift at 3 in the morning."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

The Question IRL posted:

This just sounds like something out of Father Ted.
"Is he as bad as Hitler?
No, Hitler wouldn't listen to Taylor Swift at 3 in the morning."

Hitler was a big fan of Disney and a massive tweaker, you never know.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hitler was a big fan of Disney and a massive tweaker, you never know.

White Supremacists LOVE Taylor too

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
DERRY_TAYTAY_FAN_69XX

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Merry Holidays and a Crisp New Year!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

Lol the friend is now running a fever, loving hell. It also turns out his Derry BF arrived at their house unprompted the week before he met up with my wife and he's bollocking on about how she's probably ok cos he thinks the incubation period is 4-5 DAYS. Just goes to show you can take all the steps you want at work and out and about and one person you do meet up with will have pulled some stupid poo poo or lied about where they've been with who and suddenly you're a close contact. It's exactly 2 weeks since his visit too, he's in full denial.

I'd wring that Derry gently caress's neck too over this but he's hosed off BACK across the border to Derry for Christmas

Edit: wait I get where he got 4-5 days from and... man that does NOT mean what he thinks it means, god drat

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 26, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If any of us didn't already know it, this pandemic has confirmed that people interpret rules to mean "what I am doing is fine, what you are doing is not okay".

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Getting sick? That doesn’t happen to People Like Us ™

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
He got his results back finally. He's in the clear. Hopefully I see as few people as humanly possible between now and when the vaccine is available to useless 30somethings

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Speaking of thick Derry people I just saw a little anti-masker march while out to grab some groceries led by our local idiot-in-chief councillor Anne McCloskey, who resigned as deputy leader of Aontu because they don't believe the coronavirus is a global conspiracy to abort babies or whatever it is the catholic right are pushing at the minute.

Got me blood boiling because they where waving around banners of the old Civil Rights movement (a black and white oak leaf).

The level of complete loving obliviousness is pretty strong

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Irish twitter coming out real fuckin ugly about the shooting in clonee.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Southpaugh posted:

Irish twitter coming out real fuckin ugly about the shooting in clonee.

I stopped looking too deep at Irish Twitter over this when I saw someone say "we only have one fatal shooting by the guards every 20 years. So this is fine."

My opinion on all this was that even if George had been white, he still would have been shot dead. This wasnt a race based incident but is a policing incident.

What we are seeing is a lot of pro-State media spin being used to justify this. (Some headlines referring to him as "a knife wielding thug" when as far as I am aware, he is a young man with no criminal convictions who had a psychotic episode when this went down.)
I did see some tabloids (maybe the Mirror. Could have been the Star) having a more sympathetic headline talking about the families heartbreak at losing their son.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Why would you make people have to search for racist poo poo when you could just screenshot it and post it and spare us all. It's 2021! Have ye no heart.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

I stopped looking too deep at Irish Twitter over this when I saw someone say "we only have one fatal shooting by the guards every 20 years. So this is fine."

My opinion on all this was that even if George had been white, he still would have been shot dead. This wasnt a race based incident but is a policing incident.

What we are seeing is a lot of pro-State media spin being used to justify this. (Some headlines referring to him as "a knife wielding thug" when as far as I am aware, he is a young man with no criminal convictions who had a psychotic episode when this went down.)
I did see some tabloids (maybe the Mirror. Could have been the Star) having a more sympathetic headline talking about the families heartbreak at losing their son.

This was absolutely racial.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Question IRL posted:

Your opinion is wrong. Derek Devoy is alive.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
He was known to the gardai for previous assault incidents, this wasn't a first time offense.

Its a tragedy when anyone gets shot, but this guy seriously assaulted a Spar employee before the gardai got there. Then was talked to by gardai for almost 2 hours. Then was tazered, pepper sprayed and eventually shot when these didn't stop him swinging his knife at them trying to kill armed officers. Its a pretty much textbook case of graduated escalation by the gardai, they did a great job all things considered given the horrifying scenario.

Its absolutely insane trying to make it racial, a white guy in the same scenario would have received the exact same treatment. And its also the first black man ever shot by the gardai. Ireland is not the US or UK, we don't have a history of systemic racial discrimination. All these people on Twitter are just consuming far too much US media and thinking it applies to Ireland.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You could have googled the white guy I just named, who actually shot at the Gardai and is still alive. But you decided not to.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

One man survives shooting at gardai, what exactly does that prove? Other than he got very lucky?

Mark Hennessy was shot dead by the gardai two years ago for being armed with a knife, and being less threatening to gardai than this current chap.

8 people were shot dead by the gardai from 1990-2005[1], mostly for being less threatening to the gardai than swinging a knife at them from close range.

etc

If you physically threaten armed police with a deadly weapon you might not die 100% of the time, no. But odds are pretty good you will, regardless of your skin colour.

[1]https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/eight-fatally-shot-by-gardai-in-past-15-years-25987128.html

Standish
May 21, 2001

Blut posted:

He was known to the gardai for previous assault incidents, this wasn't a first time offense.

Its a tragedy when anyone gets shot, but this guy seriously assaulted a Spar employee before the gardai got there. Then was talked to by gardai for almost 2 hours.

This isn't true to start with:

quote:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dozens-protest-in-dublin-after-shooting-of-george-nkencho-1058248.html

Gardaí were called to a business premises in Hartstown on the Co Meath/Dublin border at 12.15pm on Wednesday.
“The less-than-lethal use of force options were unsuccessful, and a number of shots were discharged from an official Garda firearm at approximately 12.35pm.”
Please don't repost stuff you read on social media as if it's fact.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

It was reported on the radio yesterday as a "2 hour confrontation with the gardai".

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Apart from Mark Hennessy I don't think the guards have killed anyone else in the last four years?

There was that dude they accidentally shot in the face but he didn't die.

Kind of makes it a bit weird to say "well this would have happened to anyone" when you know, it doesn't (even when that fella stole a guards gun and unloaded it into him)

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 2, 2021

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Arquinsiel posted:

This one is really egregious of all the stories I’ve recently read about violent white guys the guards still managed to arrest and not kill.

Blut posted:

Mark Hennessy was shot dead by the gardai two years ago for being armed with a knife, and being less threatening to gardai than this current chap.

People keep bringing this up but ignoring why the guard shot him.
He had kidnapped the woman and the guard thought when he found him in his car that he had her hostage and her life was in immediate danger. He opened fire to, in his mind, prevent the immediate murder of a civilian.

And even that shooting there was plenty of people saying the guard had been too trigger happy.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 2, 2021

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Arquinsiel posted:

Dude had a submachine gun and a handgrenade, and he may have been apprehended in a bathtub - if my memory serves me. He was repeatedly physically tackled and wrestled with by gardai and they took him alive.

Blut posted:

Mark Hennessy was known to the gardai and the fancied him for other assaults afaik - he was also in the process of self harming and was shot in the shoulder and died because the bullet wound up in his torso.

It is possible to disarm a knife wielding man, when you and your 15 (armed and armoured) mates are supposed to be trained to do so, with a variety of both unarmed physical techniques and non-lethal pain compliance techniques.

They didn't need to kill the man.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blut posted:

It was reported on the radio yesterday as a "2 hour confrontation with the gardai".
Stop listening to Newstalk.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

Mark Hennessy was known to the gardai and the fancied him for other assaults afaik - he was also in the process of self harming and was shot in the shoulder and died because the bullet wound up in his torso.

It is possible to disarm a knife wielding man, when you and your 15 (armed and armoured) mates are supposed to be trained to do so, with a variety of both unarmed physical techniques and non-lethal pain compliance techniques.

They didn't need to kill the man.

But this guy was also known to the gardai for other assaults?

Have you ever personally disarmed a deranged knife wielding man? A lot of internet superheroes here seem to be claiming its an incredibly easy, safe thing to do. When the fact he was both tazed and pepper sprayed, and neither stopped him, would suggest he wasn't quite so easy to subdue.

A moving cordon was formed around the guy, negotiating and non-lethal means were tried, and only eventually, when garda lives were in danger, did it come to lethal force. The gardai are no saints and regularly make terrible mistakes, but this was done completely by the textbook. And there are videos of all of this you can watch too to see for yourselves.

Do you really think the garda in question wanted to shoot to kill him? Have you any idea how problematic this is for his career, and traumatic that is for him as a person?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Was he known to the guards.
I’ve seen that mentioned without proof on Reddit and Twitter.

Standish
May 21, 2001

Marenghi posted:

Was he known to the guards.
I’ve seen that mentioned without proof on Reddit and Twitter.
this appears to be the only hard info (if anonymous garda sources count as "hard info"):

quote:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/george-nkencho-shooting-inquiry-will-look-at-graduated-use-of-force-1.4448355

Garda sources have confirmed Mr Nkencho was known to suffer from mental illness and that officers have been called to the house several times to deal with “mental health and domestic issues”.
So the unfortunate man had his problems but he was hardly the cross between Hannibal Lecter and Daniel Kinahan that reddit is making him out to be.

Blut posted:

The gardai are no saints and regularly make terrible mistakes, but this was done completely by the textbook.
I'm very impressed that you can tell all that from a blurry phone video shot from 500 meters away, but I think I'll wait for the outcome of the inquiry before I make up my mind

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

"Known to the Gardai" is a stupidly loaded term and is absolutely a dog whistle. Why would someone be "known" to the Gardai? Must have been because they are a rabid criminal who our poor police force can't arrest because of technicalities. Nothing to do with the fact he was mentally ill.

The fact of the matter is there was zero need for any member of the Gardaí to be armed in this situation. Hell, there are barely any reasons the Gardai should be armed at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
This will come as no shock to anyone but gently caress me the r/Ireland discussion of this poo poo is godawful. There is a desperate desire to believe that this was an unavoidable shooting and just a tragic freak accident because there's No Racism In Ireland. Any protests are just because people are Copying America, but we're not America and barely shoot any people at all so you're not allowed to complain.

Like seriously poo poo like this:

I think maybe people actually don't want to be like the US, which is why they are protesting the shooting of a black man by law enforcement. Oh wait, this guy is just talking about protestors being rowdy. That's the only bad thing about America.

And then there's just straight up old-fashioned racism:

You'll forgive me if I don't take reddit user "RetardedRon" at their word here, given their post history.

I want to be clear, I have no idea if this shooting was justified or not. I haven't seen any videos or followed the case very closely. But this attitude that there is not even a chance of racism being involved, that you're crazy to even consider it, is far more worrying to me than overreacting protestors.