Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ketchup vs catsup posted:

HTLB says Setsuna is 20-25 hours
And it's got a whole five environments! Snow, more snow, cave, inside a building, and ice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

anakha posted:

> Disgaea 5 Complete (I read that the Steam version is missing some content compared to other platforms - am I better off getting the Switch or PS4 versions instead?

Content wise it's the same between all three, I think the map editor might have gone AWOL in Complete but it was useless garbage anyway

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wrapped up the last Control DLC, not really impressed, ended up with ~30 hours to beat the game while doing almost all side missions.

Overall after having time to think back

Control: 8/10, maybe 9/10 if you've got it running at max graphics
Foundation: 6/10, lacks a lot of what made the base game good, no interesting puzzles or ideas, fairly boring level design, plus just a bunch more random unexplained poo poo
AWE: 10/10 for me because I loved Alan Wake, probably 7/10 on its own without the nostalgia factor.

Good deal in general, especially in a year or 2 when more people have ray-tracing GPUs. This game is all about presentation and atmosphere.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

John Murdoch posted:

Someone casually putting a slur in a game and then deciding after the fact that maybe it was a bad idea (conveniently after being called out on it) isn't a great look, gently caress authenticity. Proceeding to try and play rhetorical chess with that "are you offended, or are you worried someone else might be offended :smuggo:" poo poo is an extremely bad look.

It's kind of rude, but it's like the equivalent of calling an irishman a Mick, lol. it's a common muslim surname, not an inherently derogatory word. Personally, I don't really want to play a game set in the ongoing imperialist US actions in the middle east, but the line in the sand for me is not whether or not the game uses Bad Words

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MarcusSA posted:

If you read through the whole thread he explains it better.

Said explanation, while comparatively less horrible than all of the "triggered much, snowflake?" replies surrounding it still kicks off with

quote:

I don't care for political correctness and "SJ"
(woof woof, woof woof woof)

And the explanation still boils down to "the slur itself wasn't the problem, it's that I used the slur in the wrong context". Except he then goes on to claim the game is supposed to be a pastiche of Iraq war stuff, not an actual historical setting. So why exactly is it so critical to strive for authenticity in this very specific way? :thunk:

YMMV I guess but I'm sticking to my guns on this one.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

goferchan posted:

not an inherently derogatory word.
i guess we should consult literally the first reply on the steam thread for some kind of contextual clues

quote:

how is that a racial slur when you're killing terrorists LOL

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Well, I have just broken this game completely in half over my knee. (Yes, those are tokens.)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm probably going to pick up Desperados III at some point just because I liked Shadow Tactics, but I heard it's really short... is this more of a $9.99 game than a $24.99 game?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

anakha posted:

> Darkest Dungeon (If this is as big a grindfest as some reviews make it out to be, I have no issues leaving it off my buy list)

Its not too bad, ive played through it for the first time here this christmas and I feel like progression is pretty fast, but then I havent started losing dudes yet.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Progression through early levels is decent, a chore at higher levels, and then all progress grinds to a halt once you start working through the Darkest Dungeon itself.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm probably going to pick up Desperados III at some point just because I liked Shadow Tactics, but I heard it's really short... is this more of a $9.99 game than a $24.99 game?

Do so, it's really good. The campaign is a longer than shadow tactics.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah, I'd say Darkest Dungeon is worth it for the atmosphere and wonderful visual and sound design but you should stop when it's not fun any more. And do not start your first game with the Crimson Court DLC enabled. It'll eat you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

anakha posted:

I'm looking at the following RPGs currently on sale. Are there any here that you guys have tried and disliked?

> Valkyria Chronicles 1 (Playing VC4 right now and really liking it, so I want to get this next)
I've enjoyed this a lot back in the day, but I imagine that the gameplay is way better in VC4.

quote:

> Wasteland 2 (I read some complaints about how linear it is, which I'm not sure is an issue for me since I like Final Fantasy games :v:)
Sooooooo much to say about that poo poo, but most rants were in steam threads that have since fallen into the archive.

Copy pasted some of my bitching here

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I just stare at the list of things on sale and scroll.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Somewhat related, there are too many devs/publishers with bad apples, bad attitudes (edgelording especially or :actually:), bad crunches, or uh... straight-up sexual harassment/assault. My personal boycott list keeps growing, but man, these issues are just wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidespread.
-
Unrelated: art of rally is nom nom

Norman-Fetus

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay cool, thanks guys!

And re: Darkest Dungeon, yeah... the first 5-10 hours were really fun for me, but the grind is definitely real. There are a ton of situations where you can lose a party member really quickly in a way that doesn't feel like your fault, and a lot of higher-level dungeons feel RNG-heavy in the sense that the same party with the same gear can have a perfect run and a total party kill back to back in the same area.

It also hits some roadblocks when you start losing guys, because balanced 4-character parties are essential, and if you lose your only level 5 healer you've basically gotta recruit a new party from scratch and grind them up from 1-5 all over again. Except now you've got seven melee guys and one healer...

I enjoyed it a lot, and think it's probably worth playing, but gently caress did I find it frustrating, and a lot of that frustration came from features that felt like they were intentionally engineered to be hard instead of fun. If you do get it, I would make sure to set difficulty as low as possible- "difficulty" in DD basically just means "amount of grind," and a lot of the stuff that turned me off gets significantly more manageable on easy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jamfrost posted:

Somewhat related, there are too many devs/publishers with bad apples, bad attitudes (edgelording especially or :actually:), bad crunches, or uh... straight-up sexual harassment/assault. My personal boycott list keeps growing, but man, these issues are just wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidespread.
-
Unrelated: art of rally is nom nom

Norman-Fetus

That would be a good list to publish with like a sentence or two about why.

Obviously the big poo poo like Ubisoft is an obvious one but a running list like the devs for Doorkickers, Brigador, etc. anything where major parties are scum human beings. Also the ones where the owners gently caress over their staff like Chucklefish Games.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

pentyne posted:

That would be a good list to publish with like a sentence or two about why.

Obviously the big poo poo like Ubisoft is an obvious one but a running list like the devs for Doorkickers, Brigador, etc. anything where major parties are scum human beings. Also the ones where the owners gently caress over their staff like Chucklefish Games.

Yeah, we have the major ones, and then some smaller scale stuff. I barely remember something with Skullgirls and then the person in question issued an apology afterwards. Some of these issues are hard to summarize without the person having prior knowledge.

If it has a running list, it might need its own thread. Do we already have a thread?

If not, anyone feel free to send me PMs with supporting documentation/links for the dev/publisher and I'll start compiling and formatting. I'd present information as objectively as possible and let the reader decide on what they want to do. :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The entirety of Lab Zero basically imploded over reams and reams of accusations that the owner, Mike Zaimont, was an abusive and creepy boss. A bunch of people left then Mike fired the remainder in retaliation.

This means no further development on Indivisible while other teams seem to be working on Skullgirls, as the IP owner of the latter and the publishers of both have publicly cut ties with Mike Z.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Bought Control to try it out and it seems like an awesome game, albeit one that's extremely crash happy. I think I had like 15+ crashes in 107 minutes of playtime despite trying all the solutions I could find.. ended up refunding it. Shame. I don't get why every other game I've tried in the past couple years has basically never crashed once, and yet this one is crash incarnate.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anakha posted:

> Child of Light (Some negative reviews say there are launcher issues - have you guys experienced this?)

Unless they’ve come up since it was new, no issues with launch for me. The only thing people can find objectionable about Child of Light is that the rhyming dialogue is kind of there? It’s cutesy, doesn’t exist for any other reason really. Also the combat even at its hardest is a bit simple but it’s not trying to be anything complicated.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Control is pretty cool and one of Remedy's best. I went into this slightly apprehensive, but it won me over big time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ambaire posted:

Bought Control to try it out and it seems like an awesome game, albeit one that's extremely crash happy. I think I had like 15+ crashes in 107 minutes of playtime despite trying all the solutions I could find.. ended up refunding it. Shame. I don't get why every other game I've tried in the past couple years has basically never crashed once, and yet this one is crash incarnate.

What’s your computer like? I never had any crashes and never really heard about anyone else having crashes. Do you have an AMD GPU?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Kibayasu posted:

Unless they’ve come up since it was new, no issues with launch for me. The only thing people can find objectionable about Child of Light is that the rhyming dialogue is kind of there? It’s cutesy, doesn’t exist for any other reason really. Also the combat even at its hardest is a bit simple but it’s not trying to be anything complicated.

I haven't found the dialogue that bad. Sure, it exists... but it's not like, bad.

It's also a very pretty game, imo. I enjoyed my playthrough of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The rhymes in Child of Light are pretty corny but I found them endearing. The soundtrack is really amazing too, one of my all-time favorites for a video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byz6960tWxQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca-AVxC4838

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

exquisite tea posted:

The rhymes in Child of Light are pretty corny but I found them endearing. The soundtrack is really amazing too, one of my all-time favorites for a video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byz6960tWxQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca-AVxC4838

It's probably cheesy but I legitimately enjoyed just watching the MC's hair flow in the wind sometimes, too. It's nicely animated and the art style makes it look so good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDf5w4Stk6A

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Omi no Kami posted:

you can get the game plus DLC for $20 on Epic and basically split the difference, it's worth it, I think

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The rhyming dialogue in Child of Light was supposedly better in the original French before being translated, or so I heard. I honestly didn't mind it.

The story was endearing, the graphical style picture book gorgeous, and the music something beautiful you won't forget any time soon. I highly recommend it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Bought Unavowed and I'm hooked already

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Play darkest dungeon in Bright mode! It feels maybe a little too fast early on before you realize how drat long the game is, but once the real grind kicks in its saving you dozens amd dozens of hours

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I didn't get far into child of light. Just seemed pretty samey and boring.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

anakha posted:

> Child of Light (Some negative reviews say there are launcher issues - have you guys experienced this?)

I really liked this one but the rhyming dialogue definitely grates. It can get a little bit grindy towards the end, but that's nothing exceptional for the genre.

e: The DLC is mostly extra consumables, but the extra abilities for the main character are pretty useful. The Golem is useful enough early on to be worth it IMO but not that helpful in the late game.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 2, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Suburban Dad posted:

I didn't get far into child of light. Just seemed pretty samey and boring.

Same. Pretty generic JRPG combat and the story wasn't interesting.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I was pruning my wishlist last night, and it struck me as weird that with at least some delisted games (Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition in this case) you can just... pop over to a site like CDKeys and drop 2 bucks on a key, and it activates just fine. Wonder how many others are like that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Artelier posted:

Bought Unavowed and I'm hooked already

Unavowed is legit one of the best point'n'click games ever made.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS4FE7PNj_E

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec_zFYCnjJc

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Question about humble bundle. I bought in to grab Pathologic 2. I don't want a monthly subscription. I was going to just cancel now but I notice my next bill date is actually the end of February. Will I get to choose games in February as well and cancel before the pay date comes up? I only paid 12 bucks so I thought I would only get one months worth of games?

Also any advice on things I should know about before starting Pathologic 2? I did not play the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Cross-Section posted:

I was pruning my wishlist last night, and it struck me as weird that with at least some delisted games (Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition in this case) you can just... pop over to a site like CDKeys and drop 2 bucks on a key, and it activates just fine. Wonder how many others are like that.
Driver: San Francisco is like that but all the keys are extremely expensive, last I checked it was like 80€. Too bad because that's one good racing game I missed the opportunity to play.