Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

zizek is qualified for many things, far beyond his specialty of being a transmogrified raccoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

zizek is qualified for many things, far beyond his specialty of being a transmogrified raccoon

I heard he isn't actually even forklift-certified. hosed up if true.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

just to be clear, you're talking about Zizek? I've heard people call him a lot of things, but never 'qualified'

He has a Ph.D. in the thing he was debating and publishes professionally in that field, both things that Peterson couldn't manage.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

the trash panda is cspams spirit animal

i followed him here from cineD when he promised me the ability to talk about politics without having to post in d&d

yes i was absolutely high when this happened

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LordSaturn posted:

just to be clear, you're talking about Zizek? I've heard people call him a lot of things, but never 'qualified'

Peterson walked onto the stage as a self-professed expert on Marxism and proved within the first five minutes that he'd never even cracked a book on the subject. "Qualified" in this case was someone who'd read the theory and could express it without tripping over his own dick.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

these are good answers, my curiosity was earnest. I faintly remember the result of the debate being "they found they agreed"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

LordSaturn posted:

these are good answers, my curiosity was earnest. I faintly remember the result of the debate being "they found they agreed"

it was closer to zizek having jorp eating out of his hand by the halfway mark

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

it was closer to zizek having jorp eating out of his hand by the halfway mark

Zizek beat Jorp so profoundly and totally that Jorp began to love Zizek.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

bedpan posted:

I supposed the fascist love of domination extends to their dominators.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zizek has an unfairly exaggerated reputation as a class reductionist, which might make someone think that he and Jorp agree from different sides about the sjw menace and girls who won't have sex with them, but even if that were the case, Zizek wasn't finding common ground with a worm beneath contempt.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Zizek has an unfairly exaggerated reputation as a class reductionist, which might make someone think that he and Jorp agree from different sides about the sjw menace and girls who won't have sex with them, but even if that were the case, Zizek wasn't finding common ground with a worm beneath contempt.

Zizek fucks

a lot

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

bedpan posted:

“He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the unkempt beard. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving all-beef diet! Two cider-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was in order, the room was clean. He had won the victory over feminine chaos. He loved Slavoj Zizek.”

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

“He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the unkempt beard. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving all-beef diet! Two cider-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was in order, the room was clean. He had won the victory over feminine chaos. He loved Slavoj Zizek.”

*snuffles approvingly*

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

staticman posted:

I'm this close to starting a thread about the immortal science of Skoden
https://twitter.com/ArborErich/status/1344878204692160513

I agree in principle.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The love/hate appeal of Zizek, for me, is he always sounds like he’s eating Grape Nuts and trying to speak. I love/hate Grape Nuts.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

VinylonUnderground posted:

I guess my timeline may be off. Harris was defending torture in 2006 so to me anyone that would allow that would be an uncomfortably rightwing space. Then again, I was branded a troll as recently as 2017 on SA (and SA was still more leftwing than a lot of other places on the internet) because I argued that direct action by BLM protestors like blocking freeways was a good thing and that antifa are good and not bad. The gooncensus at the time was that BLM was whiny and overdramatic and that antifa were as bad as fascist and were scary/bad. So I could see other people perceiving it as more politically mixed whereas it would just look unacceptably rightwing to me.

this is still the consensus here, just not unanimous in cspam

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I supposed the fascist love of domination extends to their dominators.

You can see the depths of Peterson's submission to and love of Zizek during the debate. I've scarcely seen such devotion anywhere else.

Azathoth posted:

*snuffles approvingly*

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Heath posted:

The importance of Elevatorgate is that it basically represented a real eruption of attitudes that had been fomenting among the movement for some time, namely:

1) that New Atheism had a serious Boy's Club problem, something hotly contested exclusively by men, and that female members were often harassed online, dismissed in person, and abused at conventions;
2) that up until then one of the major foils against American Christianity had been the fundamental hypocrisy of its major representatives, which butts up against some difficulty when the major atheist proselytizers are also hypocrites - you can't effectively criticize the Catholic Church for covering up abuse when you're refusing to dissociate from serial rapist Michael Shermer and continuing to host him as a guest speaker when his entire M.O. was to find victims at conventions;
3) that many of the New Atheists only objected to Christianity on the basis that they don't like the God part but are completely cool with the rest of it. Dawkins is the prime example here, since in most respects he's as much an Anglican as he ever was, he just doesn't like the part about appealing to Divinity to explain biology;
4) pursuant to (1) that women, women's rights, and especially Muslim women's rights, are only of concern to many New Atheists when they can be used against feminists. Dawkins' "Dear Muslima" letter is a loving legendary piece of posting for that reason, because the tone of it was that the American woman doth protest too much for saying that she's uncomfortable when she's cornered by a man on an enclosed elevator, since she isn't having her genitals mutilated or whatever dumb point he was trying to make. For someone who had up to that point been considered a talented and thoughtful writer he managed to produce something so unbelievably distasteful to basically everybody that it really did create an unfixable crack in the skeptisphere. Imbued as it was with such an immeasurable amount of smarm, cynical concern trolling and callous dismissal of a completely reasonable request on the part of Rebecca Watson, Dawkins managed to do in one post what a legion of internet trolls couldn't if they were trying.

Dear Muslima,
Stop whining, will you. Yes, yes, I know you had your genitals mutilated with a razor blade, and... yawn... don’t tell me yet again, I know you aren’t allowed to drive a car, and you can’t leave the house without a male relative, and your husband is allowed to beat you, and you’ll be stoned to death if you commit adultery. But stop whining, will you. Think of the suffering your poor American sisters have to put up with. Only this week I heard of one, she calls herself Skep”chick”, and do you know what happened to her? A man in a hotel elevator invited her back to his room for coffee. I am not exaggerating. He really did. He invited her back to his room for coffee. Of course she said no, and of course he didn’t lay a finger on her, but even so... And you, Muslima, think you have misogyny to complain about! For goodness sake grow up, or at least grow a thicker skin.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Anyone else remember the internet infidels discussion board and the atheist poster diaspora when it broke up over qcs style drama

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The love/hate appeal of Zizek, for me, is he always sounds like he’s eating Grape Nuts and trying to speak. I love/hate Grape Nuts.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

brugroffil posted:

Anyone else remember the internet infidels discussion board and the atheist poster diaspora when it broke up over qcs style drama

No but dish! I love stupid drama.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

This looks like the cover of a Chuck Tingle novel. "Pounded in the Butt by a Box of Grape-Nuts"

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

whoa the date on that tweet lmao

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

This looks like the cover of a Chuck Tingle novel. "Pounded in the Butt by a Box of Grape-Nuts"
:classiclol::hmmyes:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Dear Muslima,
Stop whining, will you. Yes, yes, I know you had your genitals mutilated with a razor blade, and... yawn... don’t tell me yet again, I know you aren’t allowed to drive a car, and you can’t leave the house without a male relative, and your husband is allowed to beat you, and you’ll be stoned to death if you commit adultery. But stop whining, will you. Think of the suffering your poor American sisters have to put up with. Only this week I heard of one, she calls herself Skep”chick”, and do you know what happened to her? A man in a hotel elevator invited her back to his room for coffee. I am not exaggerating. He really did. He invited her back to his room for coffee. Of course she said no, and of course he didn’t lay a finger on her, but even so... And you, Muslima, think you have misogyny to complain about! For goodness sake grow up, or at least grow a thicker skin.

Holy moly it's actually worse than I remembered. Amazing little detail that he stylized it as Skep"chick" instead of "Skepchick." I also wonder if he thinks the invite was literally just for coffee, because he is the least subtle person on Earth and doesn't understand entendre.

Particularly the line about "of course he didn't lay a finger on her," which is very telling. He perfectly understands the risk factor involved that the man didn't hurt her, but he could have. He's so incredibly contemptuous of women it just oozes out of the thing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, I remember reading a bit of the God Delusion when I was in my first year of uni, thought (and this is not me trying to make myself sound like 'Oh, I was so smart as a child) 'this is the reasoning I had when I was six with a better vocabulary' and gave up on it.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

As someone pointed out internet atheists have been around almost as long as Usenet. In the 90s there were Skeptic magazines, not pulp but glossy and graphic novel size too. There was a big crossover with the anti-Scientology movement, which was way more intense than it sounds. Newsgroups like talk.origins and alt.religion.scientology.xenu.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
a fifth aspect underlying why Elevatorgate was so schismatic was the nascent interest in secular humanism, many people wanted to cultivate a more culturally-conscious atheist community that addressed religiously-motivated bigotry at a deeper level than just denying the existence of God, incredulously posting Quran verses and debunking young-earth creationists

then Elevatorgate happened and the pro-secular humanism atheists were rapidly pushed out by the New Atheist clique who accused them of being feminist infiltrators and wreckers, and a bunch of the second-wave New Atheists were able to ride the outrage to prominence through YouTube videos

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
proud boys had a rally in oregon yesterday seems like? they keep slowly realizing that the cops aren't on their side

https://twitter.com/BGOnTheScene/status/1345183534856564736?s=20

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

what if you’re a proud boogaloo boy what do the cops do then?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

proud boys had a rally in oregon yesterday seems like? they keep slowly realizing that the cops aren't on their side

NGL, I'm slowly realizing it too.

I genuinely thought that the cops would just let their fasc supporters do whatever the gently caress they want, but after the pinkerton shooting it's becoming more and more apparent that cops don't give a gently caress about anyone else, even their fans.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

kitten emergency posted:

Proud Boys have always been the brownshirts. Useful idiots to harass and harm opponents to the leader. Then they become boot paste when they get too rowdy.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

"Boot Paste" is a great nickname for proud boys and their ilk.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Proud Boys are only pro-cop in the sense that they like being able to use the law as a weapon against the left. Every time a hardcore rightwinger fucks up badly and publicly enough that the cops are actually forced to do their job, they're suddenly rabidly anti-police.

They like beating up leftists, and only like cops because cops usually let them do that, but cops have no loyalty to anyone other than other cops.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I genuinely thought that the cops would just let their fasc supporters do whatever the gently caress they want, but after the pinkerton shooting it's becoming more and more apparent that cops don't give a gently caress about anyone else, even their fans.

The way that I see it, cops are lazy first and foremost. By the time that they're out in riot gear, they're already good and pissed off that someone is making them do poo poo. They can already soak up all the OT their little baconated hearts desire, so having to go out and put on uncomfortable riot gear is a net negative for them, at least beyond the first few times when I'm sure that playing stormtrooper was fun for them.

Now, cops may be dumb, lazy, and aggressive but they're not stupid. They know that the reason that they're out there at all is that fash are rolling in and starting poo poo. It's like having that one friend that always starts poo poo for no reason. They might like them and be cool with them generally, but by the 80th time they're getting into a fight for no loving reason, they're gonna grab their friend and drag them off rather than go along with it.

And as much as I'm sure individual cops would like to let fash just run riot, a combination of cameras being loving everywhere and the inevitable property damage causing every elected official to ask why they didn't stop it, they've come to view these little fash riots as a liability.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
cops could shoot a dozen of them and the PBs as a whole will find a way to be OK with that, the ones that get shot aren't REAL Proud Boys, like the guy upthread that got his teeth punched out.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Azathoth posted:

The way that I see it, cops are lazy first and foremost. By the time that they're out in riot gear, they're already good and pissed off that someone is making them do poo poo. They can already soak up all the OT their little baconated hearts desire, so having to go out and put on uncomfortable riot gear is a net negative for them, at least beyond the first few times when I'm sure that playing stormtrooper was fun for them.

Now, cops may be dumb, lazy, and aggressive but they're not stupid. They know that the reason that they're out there at all is that fash are rolling in and starting poo poo. It's like having that one friend that always starts poo poo for no reason. They might like them and be cool with them generally, but by the 80th time they're getting into a fight for no loving reason, they're gonna grab their friend and drag them off rather than go along with it.

And as much as I'm sure individual cops would like to let fash just run riot, a combination of cameras being loving everywhere and the inevitable property damage causing every elected official to ask why they didn't stop it, they've come to view these little fash riots as a liability.

I think the only coherent narrative among right-wingers is the love of punching down, that the strong prey upon the weak. And nobody is "stronger" than the state and it's enforcers. So the cops view themselves (rightfully) as the strong, and the boot paste (that's what I'm calling proud boys from now on) are weak, so it is the cops natural right to poo poo on them. But from the boot paste perspective, they believe themselves to be strong, so they feel betrayed when really that is their proper place in the hierarchy of their own design.

Flesh Forge posted:

cops could shoot a dozen of them and the PBs as a whole will find a way to be OK with that, the ones that get shot aren't REAL Proud Boys, like the guy upthread that got his teeth punched out.

This is always the pivot: The losers are the weak, and therefore they are not us. Because "we" are strong, and everyone who loses must not be a real proudboy.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Cpt_Obvious posted:

proud boys and the chud brigades have never been the sort of threat that a lot of libs gas them up as. as individualized threats, sure, but if antifa just stopped loving showing up or made sure there were no targets for them, then they'd get taken off the streets by cops or peter out. if a bunch of dumbass white dudes in polo shirts is a threat to democracy, then we should go shut down tailgating at SEC games, because that's where these morons came from and its where they'll go back to.

people are going to be incredibly surprised at how quickly "all of this" goes away without trump

ed: it won't actually go away, but it's going to change into another form, because we're not going to address the structural issues that lead to any of it happening.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kitten emergency posted:

proud boys and the chud brigades have never been the sort of threat that a lot of libs gas them up as. as individualized threats, sure, but if antifa just stopped loving showing up or made sure there were no targets for them, then they'd get taken off the streets by cops or peter out. if a bunch of dumbass white dudes in polo shirts is a threat to democracy, then we should go shut down tailgating at SEC games, because that's where these morons came from and its where they'll go back to.

people are going to be incredibly surprised at how quickly "all of this" goes away without trump

ed: it won't actually go away, but it's going to change into another form, because we're not going to address the structural issues that lead to any of it happening.

seems wildly naive

the point isn't "just let the racists have their little march" allowing it at all is a condemnation of society in general and not pushing back will just normalize it.

pacifism working is a lib fantasy and the only reason it worked for Civil rights was the cops couldn't get away with just murdering all the protestors once the spotlight was on them even though more then a few like Bull Connor absolutely would've tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think the only coherent narrative among right-wingers is the love of punching down, that the strong prey upon the weak. And nobody is "stronger" than the state and it's enforcers. So the cops view themselves (rightfully) as the strong, and the boot paste (that's what I'm calling proud boys from now on) are weak, so it is the cops natural right to poo poo on them. But from the boot paste perspective, they believe themselves to be strong, so they feel betrayed when really that is their proper place in the hierarchy of their own design.

This is always the pivot: The losers are the weak, and therefore they are not us. Because "we" are strong, and everyone who loses must not be a real proudboy.

the pb view themselves as helping the cops, the cops neither need nor want the help

all things being equal, the cops are happy to have their groupies and im sure they like that poo poo on social media but the second it actually makes their lives more difficult, it's a boot to the face and a night in the pokey for the pb