Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

headfake posted:

I've been playing FE000000. It's a nicely polished Antimatter Dimensions derivative:

https://dan-simon.github.io/misc/fe000000/

How much content is there after eternity? I got bored around that time because I just kept looking at the guide to figure out what the best time studies (or whatever they're called here) are at any given point.
I got up to the infinity generator, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

GrossMurpel posted:

How much content is there after eternity? I got bored around that time because I just kept looking at the guide to figure out what the best time studies (or whatever they're called here) are at any given point.
I got up to the infinity generator, I think.

at least two more layers

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Yeah, it's unfortunate, at first I was appreciating how much I didn't need a guide, then it kind of transitioned to being totally reliant on it...

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

headfake posted:

I've been playing FE000000. It's a nicely polished Antimatter Dimensions derivative:

https://dan-simon.github.io/misc/fe000000/

I've totally abandoned AD in favor of this one, AD is just soooo slow to go down the time tree. The Eternity layer of FE000000 is a grind but at least it feels like I'm making some progress, the skinner box is well-timed.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I've been following a Discord guide for doing C13s, but I've now done 30/30 C14 and am still stuck at 17/30 for C13, the method in the guide feels bricked out at this point. Any advice?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KazigluBey posted:

I've been following a Discord guide for doing C13s, but I've now done 30/30 C14 and am still stuck at 17/30 for C13, the method in the guide feels bricked out at this point. Any advice?
That sounds about right, I believe 17 or 18 was the highest feasible before the last update. Let it sit, keep grinding away at cubes.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
c13 gets broken down some more once you get higher const and cube upgrades finished. c10 exponent store upgrade also goes a long way for hitting the breakpoints necessary.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That sounds about right, I believe 17 or 18 was the highest feasible before the last update. Let it sit, keep grinding away at cubes.

The most important thing for progressing your C13 in the late game is your constant (from tesseract buildings) and not much else. Just keep getting your constant higher and trying again every few days.

I think most people are doing a 30-45 min constant run right after their daily ascension when they open cubes; if you're not doing that already I'd recommend it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've picked up Idle Champions (of the Forgotten Realms) again on Steam and having a pretty good time with it, so far starting out the runs require a lot of manual input (upgrading your party, mostly) so I decided to spend some money to get two of the cheap familiars plus the first one you get for gems which is cheap to get 3 auto-clickers going that also pick stuff up for me which helps a lot. The positioning of the party gimmick is neat, figuring out the best way to lay out your party for maximum buffs is a fun little puzzle.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Why does FE000000000000 lie about the offline time? I've had it set to simulate 1024 offline ticks, but I just got my full 9 hours of progress while sleeping.
I'm not complaining, I'm just mystified why the offline ticks setting exists at all.
E: I infinitied once and went from gaining 26x my EP to 100x my EP so maybe it only fully simulates passive resource growth?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 31, 2020

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

I just looked it up and it sounds like the number of ticks is how many "chunks" it's dividing the full offline time into. So the 9 hours is divided into 1024 simulated segments. If you increase that you get more segments and a more accurate simulation, but slower. But either way it's simulating 9 hours.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

headfake posted:

I just looked it up and it sounds like the number of ticks is how many "chunks" it's dividing the full offline time into. So the 9 hours is divided into 1024 simulated segments. If you increase that you get more segments and a more accurate simulation, but slower. But either way it's simulating 9 hours.

Sort of like how how often you calculate compound interest affects your returns.

Unless there's a real steep unattended power curve, 1024 sounds like it would be plenty of time chunks. But if, say, every second doubled your power (but only updated at chunk intervals), then having chunks longer than a second would mean you're missing out on lots of exponential growth.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Devor posted:

Sort of like how how often you calculate compound interest affects your returns.

Unless there's a real steep unattended power curve, 1024 sounds like it would be plenty of time chunks. But if, say, every second doubled your power (but only updated at chunk intervals), then having chunks longer than a second would mean you're missing out on lots of exponential growth.

Last night, I closed the game during a phase where eternities take about 10 minutes or so. After it simulated the ticks, I stood to gain like x0.2 my total in EP and then after one infinity, it went up to 100x.
I think the timed autobuyers (10 seconds after gain was total in this case) might simply not work with offline time.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I started FE000000 yesterday and am probably around midway through infinity, just getting to unlock challenge 3

Games scratching that idler itch, very crunchy and has a lot of smart automation

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Beasteh posted:

I started FE000000 yesterday and am probably around midway through infinity, just getting to unlock challenge 3

I have to commend the developer for how finely balanced/polished it is compared to Antimatter Dimensions other clones. There has obviously been a lot of thought and effort put into making it possible to experience the game without following someone else's walkthrough.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

cyrn posted:

I have to commend the developer for how finely balanced/polished it is compared to Antimatter Dimensions other clones. There has obviously been a lot of thought and effort put into making it possible to experience the game without following someone else's walkthrough.

Until you get to theories and eternity challenges, then good luck without a guide.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Until you get to theories and eternity challenges, then good luck without a guide.

I think it probably is alright to figure out on your own what studies to use (just go for the best ones you can afford) and even if you're not exactly optimal, you won't lose that much efficiency.
But gently caress if I can be assed to constantly try to calculate how many studies I can use.

Beasteh posted:

Games scratching that idler itch, very crunchy and has a lot of smart automation

I like games with prestige layers that reset everything but make you repeat the content at incredible speed, to show you how powerful they are, rather than just adding a resource that speeds you up.
That's what I liked about Incrementree, even if it did go way overboard in the clicks you have to do after some resets.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

The thing where you shift-click to remove one helps a bit with that (of course it resets every time you do that).

I got to a point where all I was doing was following the guide by rote, so I decided to start over and not use it at all, and I'm back up to the beginning of the eternity challenges. It definitely seems like it's going to take way longer just winging it. It seems there are walls that you can clear easily with just the right strategy but will take a long time to just outlevel.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

headfake posted:

I got to a point where all I was doing was following the guide by rote, so I decided to start over and not use it at all, and I'm back up to the beginning of the eternity challenges. It definitely seems like it's going to take way longer just winging it. It seems there are walls that you can clear easily with just the right strategy but will take a long time to just outlevel.

Based on my experiences thus far (16/32 EC completions) anytime I hit a 'wall' it's just telling me to find a new strategy. So far no ECs (other than EC3 #3, but maybe I didn't find the right strategy) have unlocked until I could reasonably do them in 30 minutes so it's just been a matter of solving the puzzle of what study combo to use (if the unlocks were not tuned to make this true then you end up in Antimatter Dimensions where you have no idea if a challenge is impossible or you don't have the correct build for it and basically have to use a guide to answer at least one of those two questions.)

My rule of thumb for studies has been 'buy the highest number of different studies you can regardless of their strength, then if you have the option buy the best bonuses you can (higher tiers usually being a bit better)'

edit: Finished all but the last couple ECs and unlocked the next tier, EC4 #4 was the only one that unlocked far before it was possible. Some of the later half of the challenge completions I was able to unlock a while before it was possible to complete them but it was pretty obvious stuff (like being 1 theorem short of being able to buy an additional study in the challenge) and testing challenges only took 30-60 seconds. Very doable/fun/fair with no walkthrough.

cyrn fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 3, 2021

yigh
Jan 3, 2021
What are some incremental games that feel like actual games? Disgaea or Ginormo sword are a couple examples that come to mind. I recently found out about melvor idle, which is pretty close to old school runescape, doesn't really feel very game-y to me.

Have a listen: https://sptfy.com/sineapple

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

yigh posted:

What are some incremental games that feel like actual games? Disgaea or Ginormo sword are a couple examples that come to mind. I recently found out about melvor idle, which is pretty close to old school runescape, doesn't really feel very game-y to me.

a lot of those are older and short. any idle game that doesn't last long than a week tend to get chewed up and done by most people here and then the discussion dies and I'm a bad op and haven't added them to the second post

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

yigh posted:

Anti-Idle, though I can't remember the link to the non-flash version. Not an RPG but there's a lot (*a lot*) to do besides click button and wait. Though there's plenty of that too.

Edilaic
Jul 10, 2008
Tukkun maintains a google drive folder with a copy of the Windows version of Anti-Idle here.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

Just a couple of quirks and a few more uses of Move69 and i have completed all NGU content.

Whats the plan for this game atm? I would like to be done with it.

I'm wondering the same... but thanks for this post. I didn't realize that a piece came from casting move 69, so I gotta get to that now, too.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Has anyone checked out Progress Knight? Seems like its in the same vein as Theory of Magic or Groundhog Life. Not terribly far into it yet, but its been decent so far.

https://ihtasham42.github.io/progress-knight/

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lilli posted:

Has anyone checked out Progress Knight? Seems like its in the same vein as Theory of Magic or Groundhog Life. Not terribly far into it yet, but its been decent so far.

It's pretty neat.

The one downside is that at a certain point you just spend all your time waiting to get old enough to restart.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Progress Knight is good but it's missing an endgame to shoot for. Once you get far enough the only end-game goal is impossible to obtain.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lilli posted:

Looks like a clone of Groundhog Life.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It's a pretty okay groundhog life clone so far, though. Is being a Knight a trap? Or do you level it for the first runs so you get enough money to buy the Sapphire Charm long enough to break into Mage?

I didn't get very far so far so Knight might end up not being a trap at all (barely got to Holy Knight so I do know that I need to level the magic skills either way)

e: lol

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 5, 2021

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Progress Knight

So how's the amulet thing work. It says, "Something tells you that the amulet might transform even further after living for 2 whole centuries... " Does it mean in a row? Because my third / fourth rebirth doesn't seem to have done anything (which would be over 200 years cumulative). I'm guessing that's a magic thing?

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 5, 2021

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, the second Magic Skill extends your lifespan. Once you get to 200+ years in one run you get a new prestige option.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bedurndurn posted:

Progress Knight

So how's the amulet thing work. It says, "Something tells you that the amulet might transform even further after living for 2 whole centuries... " Does it mean in a row? Because my third / fourth rebirth doesn't seem to have done anything (which would be over 200 years cumulative). I'm guessing that's a magic thing?
the second magic skill (unlocked at level 10 of the second mage job) is Immortality

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Ah okay. I'm just loving up something so I'm never getting to level 10 in that second mage job and unlocking it.

Edit: In proper Idle Game thread tradition, I have succeeded immediately after posting.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 5, 2021

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The magic career is never viable, only do it to unlock a very very important skill.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Apologies but I can't search the thread: is "Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms" worth playing?

With NGU at an end, and Synergism kinda stalled for me, I'd be happy to scratch the itch a bit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cobalt60 posted:

Apologies but I can't search the thread: is "Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms" worth playing?

With NGU at an end, and Synergism kinda stalled for me, I'd be happy to scratch the itch a bit.

I played it for a bit, it's fine but there's a lot of manual intervention at the start of each run that made me fall off it. You restart a lot and have to level everyone up every time. It's kinda annoying. They have familiars to tap and upgrade for you but they're prohibitively expensive with the in game currency and others cost cash to buy.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I'm happy to report that in FE000000000, the studies needed for eternity challenges stop mattering as soon as you get a few complexities. I was worried I would have to keep the guide open forever but I really only needed it for IP breakpoints in the second complexity and then not at all anymore after that.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 6, 2021

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Progress Knight

Okay, so I got to the 'live 200 years' part and unlocked a new resource. I was underwhelmed. Poked around a bit and you need 1000 of that new resource to unlock a faster time progression, so yeah gently caress this game. Almost no content, but it will take you weeks to discover that unless you cheat.

Edit: Can you actually even get to 1000 level Chairman? I literally have 2.5e+27 blood (each rebirth seems to gain about ~2000 or so) and with all that super, super, super cheated nonsense, the best I can reach is about level 200 Chairman.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 6, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bedurndurn posted:

Progress Knight

Okay, so I got to the 'live 200 years' part and unlocked a new resource. I was underwhelmed. Poked around a bit and you need 1000 of that new resource to unlock a faster time progression, so yeah gently caress this game. Almost no content, but it will take you weeks to discover that unless you cheat.

I was kinda bored after just a day nothing interesting was happening and it didn't seem like it was going anywhere yet. A good idle dev will backport features and speed up the early game after they get some content. The base gameplay could lend itself to something interesting. On my mental check back in a year list and see if the dev is still at it, if they are they probably found some hook that has kept people engaged for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I didn't get very far so far so Knight might end up not being a trap at all (barely got to Holy Knight so I do know that I need to level the magic skills either way)

Going mage is never worth it as the game is now. It's only there for an end-game achievement that is unobtainable at the moment.