Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Finicums Wake posted:

Hey man, it's January 2nd

I don’t get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Also, Harry Potter is hugely important to a lot of people, and even if JKR is a giant piece of poo poo, a lot of those people are not going to just dump what HP means to them. Also we do seem to give things made by lovely men a pass, though HP Lovecraft and Roddenberry are both dead so they're not profiting off the stuff anymore.

Graham Linehan is also a TERF who created/co-created three of my favorite shows of all time (Father Ted, Black Books, and The IT Crowd), and ever since he revealed himself to be a crap person I haven't re-watched any of 'em, nor do I plan to. That's just me, maybe I just have a hard time separating the art from the artist, but it'd just feel wrong to me to watch one of Glinner's shows now. I would imagine there are several people who also had a similar struggle once Rowling revealed herself to be a bad person.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Bringing Jack back but writing him out with a voice-over only? Oof.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not wholly, unfortunately. He's in at least one more, as yet unreleased, story, that they recorded years and years ago. But they're not advertising his presence, and he'll not be credited on the cover.

He may also be in Masterful.

I haven't listened to Masterful yet, but the implication I got from the cover art and such is that they brought back the character of the First Master, but played by Milo Parker as a younger version, so they could lean into having that incarnation without reusing an openly transphobe actor

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

I haven't listened to Masterful yet, but the implication I got from the cover art and such is that they brought back the character of the First Master, but played by Milo Parker as a younger version, so they could lean into having that incarnation without reusing an openly transphobe actor

I'm an hour in, and he's a very different character.

Also there's at least one Master in this cast who's not credited on the website, already. An incarnation played by Gina McKee.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/RichardsonBF/status/1345352598925271040?s=20

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Honestly, I never liked Ryan and Yaz as companions, because they basically had no character, and didn't give the actors anything to do or work with most of the time. Bradley Walsh is charismatic, but Graham was basically just him playing himself. They were a big downgrade from Bill Potts.

So who actually ran the prison - I thought the Judoon were just bounty hunters who captured fugitives and delivered them for trial? And if the Judoon arrested the Doctor for crimes committed as Ruth, why didn't they do so previously? The Timeless Child retcon just brings out so many plot holes and nonsense questions - it didn't make the character of the Doctor more mysterious, just underminded a lot of other stories.

The Doctor got bored of the Time Lords, stole a TARDIS with his grand daughter, learnt how to become a hero, and started having adventures in space and time, that's all you need as an origin story.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
But my overly complex, stupid and audience alienating myth arc tho :eng99:.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 2, 2021

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

saving grace of the episode was not having any forced reference to xmas.
otherwise pretty mediocre wasn't it?

Burkion posted:

Question

Did they have the Doctor, the first lady Doctor of the show's run, quote Harry Potter after a years worth of time of JKR going full TERF full time

anyone explain this for those of us who've never read / seen Potter? which bit of the episode was that

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The Doctor spends decades in prison but doesn’t escape? Come on. It should’ve been just a few months. Actually the whole prison idea seemed to be there so the companions would have to work on their own, but they don’t accomplish anything. It just should’ve been dropped entirely.

The image of lots of Daleks flooding into the TARDIS was fun but stupid if you thought about it for more than a second. And destroying the other TARDIS seemed pretty extreme. It was just a loose end Chibnall needed to get rid of.

I don’t know why people would believe that Noth did anything to destroy the Daleks. You could interpret it as a comment on the fact that rich and powerful people control the media narrative but I don’t think it was deliberate.

And then there’s the awful Timeless Child stuff and Gallifrey being completely destroyed for good this time, we mean it. I sort of wish Chibnall had never advanced past being a dumb fan complaining about Vervoids.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

When the Doctor was talking about the bedtime story being a 'classic', I thought they were going to do a little continuity nod to a classic serial, those are cute when done well.There's just so much more than could have been done with the Doctor in prison, it feels like wasted potential that it was just used as a set-up for the "companions sad" plot element.

It's odd that whenever you mention Doctor Who, people smugly reply that they haven't watched it since David Tennant left, which is a shame, because they missed some fun stuff. I liked Moffat's run on the show a lot, especially with the 12th Doctor. Actually, the 12th Doctor was great overall.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I tried really hard to watch 12's first season I just couldn't get in to it :(

I was really not liking his doctor so much I was 100% ready to believe that part where Clara said she was the doctor.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

12 was awesome. The way he develops over the span of his tenure was awesome. His sonic shades and electric guitar was awesome. Peter Capaldi is awesome.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Yannick_B posted:

Bringing Jack back but writing him out with a voice-over only? Oof.

They had all this filmed in early 2020?
They maybe reshot the last 10 minutes when the resignations were official.
And couldn't get him in.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Really should've used Rocktor Who for Series 10 though

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cerv posted:

saving grace of the episode was not having any forced reference to xmas.
otherwise pretty mediocre wasn't it?

anyone explain this for those of us who've never read / seen Potter? which bit of the episode was that

When the Doc was in prison and she tells herself a bedtime story, she quotes the opening line of the first Harry Potter book

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The prison should have been run by a Dalek in a Judoon suit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

happyhippy posted:

The prison should have been run by a Dalek in a Judoon suit.

You wear a disguise
To look like rhino guys
But you’re not a man
You’re a Kaled Judoon

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jivjov posted:

When the Doc was in prison and she tells herself a bedtime story, she quotes the opening line of the first Harry Potter book
thx. in hindsight, I could've figured that out from context itt
but had forgotten the scene as soon as it happened.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Started Season 11 yesterday. I like the new Doctor so far, but yeesh, this Rosa Parks episode was hard to swallow. There have to be infinite ways they could've approached this episode where they don't make Doctor Who and co participate in racial discrimination.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Graham Linehan is also a TERF who created/co-created three of my favorite shows of all time (Father Ted, Black Books, and The IT Crowd), and ever since he revealed himself to be a crap person I haven't re-watched any of 'em, nor do I plan to. That's just me, maybe I just have a hard time separating the art from the artist, but it'd just feel wrong to me to watch one of Glinner's shows now. I would imagine there are several people who also had a similar struggle once Rowling revealed herself to be a bad person.

This is how I am with HP personally. I used to watch the movies every year and I was rereading the books slowly, but when she decided that she had really important thoughts about the existance of Trans people that had to be known, I just can't. But I have friends, mostly women, who cannot give up HP. What are they going to do, get their entire Hogwarts sleeve removed? One told me reading HP as a young teen gave them hope because they had a really lovely home life growing up, but she is really pissed off about the whole thing due to her younger sibling being a trans person and just in general.

I did like how the Government would rather find a new way to beat people up than actually fix the root causes of unrest.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

OldMemes posted:

When the Doctor was talking about the bedtime story being a 'classic', I thought they were going to do a little continuity nod to a classic serial, those are cute when done well.

It wouldn’t have made sense, but I’d have loved to hear ‘Doctor Who was a happy man...’ from the beginning of the novelisation of The Dæmons!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Show still not really worth watching, eh? Shame.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Dabir posted:

Show still not really worth watching, eh? Shame.

I didn't think it was half as bad as some people did, and Jodie Whittaker is really good as the Doctor.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

OldMemes posted:

I didn't think it was half as bad as some people did, and Jodie Whittaker is really good as the Doctor.

Agreed.

Not mentioned yet was the discordance of the conversation between Ryan and the Doctor during their inexplicably long travel to Osaka.

Ryan: Man, you left us for 10 months. Cold. So, how was your trip back home anyway?

Doctor: Everyone and thing is dead and destroyed.

Ryan: You know a lot changes in 10 months right? I got me mates right?

:psyduck:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

But I have friends, mostly women, who cannot give up HP. What are they going to do, get their entire Hogwarts sleeve removed? One told me reading HP as a young teen gave them hope because they had a really lovely home life growing up, but she is really pissed off about the whole thing due to her younger sibling being a trans person and just in general.

i mean, there's a difference between someone maintaining a connection to a work that was personally significant to them or even just continuing to enjoy the books, and someone having the hero of their tv show advertise them now that we know that the author is poo poo

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Time for a story. One that started as a mild curiosity in a junkyard and turned into quite a tale of adventure through space and time..."

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Agreed.

Not mentioned yet was the discordance of the conversation between Ryan and the Doctor during their inexplicably long travel to Osaka.

Ryan: Man, you left us for 10 months. Cold. So, how was your trip back home anyway?

Doctor: Everyone and thing is dead and destroyed.

Ryan: You know a lot changes in 10 months right? I got me mates right?

:psyduck:

Did the Doctor even mention the prison to them? I can't remember now.
I wonder if the line about having bad blood between the Doctor and Dalek saucers in the time vortex was meant to be a sneaky Time Lord Victorious nod?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

OldMemes posted:

Did the Doctor even mention the prison to them? I can't remember now.
I wonder if the line about having bad blood between the Doctor and Dalek saucers in the time vortex was meant to be a sneaky Time Lord Victorious nod?

Yeah when she first appeared back she excitedly exclaimed that and it was quickly ignored. Think she got shoved shortly after in fact.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve noticed one of Chibnall’s things is a quiet conversation scene where two people just talk about Things. They’re often music free, go on for slightly too long, and nothing else happens in that moment. The Doctor and Ryan had one in Revolution about her leaving them for 10 months (and however long it was from her perspective - Jack was in there for 19 years just trying to get to her, and she’d clearly been there muuuuuch longer). But every time they do one, they stop the episode’s flow dead.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah when she first appeared back she excitedly exclaimed that and it was quickly ignored. Think she got shoved shortly after in fact.

That is the last two series. And Chibnall's run.
Do something, then ignore it for something else 10 seconds later.
Then briefly mention it again 4 episodes time to trick people into thinking its all tied up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OldMemes posted:

appreciate it, but there's plenty I could be doing with my time that gets better reviews than "not as bad as everyone says and has one good actor"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dabir posted:

appreciate it, but there's plenty I could be doing with my time that gets better reviews than "not as bad as everyone says and has one good actor"

No one who posts in a thread for a show they arent interested in watching has anything important to do with their time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait to see how they continue to not use Yaz next

(Glances at the calendar) ...next year?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

happyhippy posted:

That is the last two series. And Chibnall's run.
Do something, then ignore it for something else 10 seconds later.
Then briefly mention it again 4 episodes time to trick people into thinking its all tied up.

It really is too bad because I really like this Doctor. But for a farewell to two companions it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. When Sarah Jane gave the Doctor poo poo for abandoning her it was really deserved. This just seemed small and pissy, especially given 1) long time in jail and 2) Galifrey destroyed. Let alone having to rewrite your entire self narrative.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

I can't wait to see how they continue to not use Yaz next

(Glances at the calendar) ...next year?

Sometime later this year, from what they've advertised

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They're filming now, but then again this latest episode was filmed in October 2019.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/MinettaLane/status/1345487599356489728?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

OldMemes posted:

The casting for the show is really, really good, and Jodie Whittaker is fantastic. The writing is what is letting everything down, and I really wish Chibnall would realize that just because he's the showrunner doesn't meant he has to write 60+ percent of every season, because with rare exceptions his writing for Who has usually been mediocre at best.

Give me more episodes like It Takes You Away please. That was loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ukoddball/status/1345159447514140676