Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

falz posted:

Was this first watch or rewatch with nostalgia?

I haven't seen this in forever, probably since I was 14 and thought it was cool. I didn't imagine it held up at all though

First watch. I'm not sure I ever saw it before, but I did see the clips of things like scissoring the pizza.

I was expecting it to be a lot worse due to its reputation and how much people make fun of the aforementioned scissoring, but it was a pretty fun film. It dives in to the tropes of the action genre and wears them proudly like a glittery jacket. The cinematography is great, Brian Thompson (the alien bounty hunter from The X-Files) plays a brutally menacing villain. It was directed by the guy who did Rambo II and Tombstone for pete's sake.

It isn't one of the pillar stones of action movies, but it is a very fun flick with some great scenes, sometimes that's all you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_cS_kmSiRY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The title “Funeral Parade of Roses” sounds like a film a goth character would make in a movie.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Rick posted:

The title “Funeral Parade of Roses” sounds like a film a goth character would make in a movie.

It is actually an early Japanese queer movie, starring a number of "crossdressers" (to be honest I forget how exactly they should be identified, I believe the movie calls them crossdressers) in a weird little art film with a shock ending. It's a little disjointed and goofy at times, but a fun and interesting watch, and an interesting look at queer cinema in Asia from 1969.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EteaHqdX6hU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Bill and Ted: Face The Music is worth seeing if you liked the original and the sequel; it's a sweet story that I enjoyed quite a bit, although I don't know if it means anything to someone without context.

Tenent looks amazing, and is a decent spy flick even without the premise, which I found interesting even if I didn't completely follow it. Now. . . my philosophy for reviews in this thread is that I say why every movie is worth seeing because I really do feel that just about every movie has some value, but I do feel though that I should say that this was a bad decision to go to a theater during COVID and this was NOT worth it. Even if it's a giant 100 seat auditorium with only maybe 12 people, someone is going to blow off their assigned seat and sit in the same row as you and cough up a storm (as a person with a persistent cough, I know not every cough means someone's spreading but even with that rational thought it's hard not to be uncomfortable with someone coughing near you), everyone takes their masks off and most people don't put them back on. I probably would've been able to rationalize it being worth it if this was like an A movie, but it's like a B, and while I don't think a TV can capture the visuals, this isn't showing anything that hasn't been seen before. For some reason they gave everyone a full free pass at the end, I don't even know why (something about the sound? It was bassy but that is just how the local IMAX is), so I guess there's that.

piratepilates posted:

It is actually an early Japanese queer movie, starring a number of "crossdressers" (to be honest I forget how exactly they should be identified, I believe the movie calls them crossdressers) in a weird little art film with a shock ending. It's a little disjointed and goofy at times, but a fun and interesting watch, and an interesting look at queer cinema in Asia from 1969.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EteaHqdX6hU

This sounds like it's up my alley

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
Watched 1996's Eraser yesterday. Saw it a bunch of times as a kid and the last time maybe 6-7 years ago. The older I get, the more I seem to pay attention to all the stupid things that I didn't notice before. Arnie carrying a bunch of corpses into a house in plain sight of the whole neighborhood in the intro, getting help from the guy he saves who is carrying one of them himself like it's just a sleeping bag stuffed with cotton, for example. And how bad all of the one-liners are in this one, and not in the usual "cheesy but good" way like other Schwarzenegger movies. This was also the first time I consciously noticed that loving 90's action movie guitar squeal in the background every 10 minutes.

CGI (the zoo scene) held up much better than I remembered it. I was getting ready to laugh at the alligators, but they look really decent with their mix of props and CGI.

I think it dragged a tiny bit at the end (should have skipped right to the docks and cut out all the stuff in the Cyrez building at the end, in my opinion), but all in all it was still enjoyable.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Moonraker (1979): 8/10
A Zed & Two Noughts (1985): 8/10
One from the Heart (1982): 7/10
Fitzcarraldo (1982): 8/10
Encounters at the End of the World (2008): 6/10
Garry Winogrand: All Things are Photographable (2018): 8/10
Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972): 9/10
My Best Fiend -- Klaus Kinski (1999): 8/10
One Cut of the Dead (2017): 8/10
Phantom Thread (2017): 9/10
In a Lonely Place (1950): 8/10
Nosferatu (1922): 8/10
I Am Here Now (2009): 4/10
Tangerine (2015): 7/10
Theatre of Blood (1973): 8/10
Super Mario Bros. (1993): 8/10
Through a Glass Darkly (1961): 8/10
Dracula (1958): 8/10
House of Usher (1960): 8/10
Roar (1981): 5/10
Waiting For Happiness alt: Heremakono (2002): 7/10
Our Father alt: Abouna (2002): 7/10
A Fantastic Woman alt: Una mujer fantástica (2017): 10/10
Divine Carcasse (1998): 5/10

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 1, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Vampires vs. the Bronx 3.5/5 - Cute, funny, and relevant. Does some funny things with conventions and just a good fun halloween movie.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
drat if it's as good as Super Mario Bros and One Cut of the Dead then I need to check this Fitzcarraldo out someday.

Latest movie I saw was Fatal Games (1984), and it's worth seeing because while the killer is predictable, the motive is wild, and it turns out there were a lot of other things being set up the whole time to be delivered on in the climax that are hard to see coming, which is pretty cool. I am going to give some content warnings for this, but they do spoil the film, so maybe just dive in and prepare to be offended? C/W/Spoiler: Transphobia

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Rick posted:

drat if it's as good as Super Mario Bros and One Cut of the Dead then I need to check this Fitzcarraldo out someday.

Why it's just as fine a movie as Moonraker, Ace Ventura*, American Pie, The Avengers, Belly, and of course -- Cats.

* I haven't seen this since childhood, I expect it to uh, you know, upon a rewatch

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

The Fourth Kind (2009)

This movie mostly consists of Milla Jovovich and others “re-enacting” a “true story” with a few tiny bits of found footage thrown in to try and cash in on the Paranormal Activity craze of the time. This could have been unnerving as hell if they had taken some unknown actors and presented it as mostly found footage in a documentary about alleged alien abductions because the premise is absolutely perfect for it. But the movie as it is is a boring and ugly film that tries nothing new and still manages to fail at it.

2/5

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Watching Ronin

I love this little European heist movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
All The Right Moves - It's really strange how a horny teenage Tom Cruise vehicle from the 80s, which credits the synth-heavy soundtrack first in the closing credits, plays like an arthouse movie in the current climate. Low-key and well observed with great performances from Cruise, Lea Thompson, Chris Penn and Craig T.

Ad Astra - What a weird movie. James Grey doing his thing on a sub-par Solaris riff with interludes where a badass-but-depressed Brad Pitt fights moon pirates and rabid space monkeys. The bad dad stuff didn't really hit for me but I can see it working for others. I think Pitt is really incredible in the role but overall kind of a misfire.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

morestuff posted:

Ad Astra - What a weird movie.

I don't often agree with the Audience Score compared to the Critic one, but yeah Astra was a stinker and I have no idea how 80% of critics thought it was decent.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't often agree with the Audience Score compared to the Critic one, but yeah Astra was a stinker and I have no idea how 80% of critics thought it was decent.

Ad Astra is the equivalent of telling someone you aren't mad at them, just disappointed.

Cloud Atlas (2012)

I remember hating this movie when I first saw it on account of the source material being one of my favorite novels ever. Having rewatched it though, its not as bad as I remembered and actually quite good. Its biggest misstep is having the same actors play multiple roles in order to hit you over the head with the premise that everyone is connected. I dont know who thought that would be a good idea. Also, the characters that are dupkicated by the same actors arent even the ones that are supposed to be thematically connected. Despite all that, its a pretty good movie.

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 16, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

TommyGun85 posted:

Also, the characters that are duplicated by the same actors arent even the ones that are supposed to be thematically connected.

Wait wait, the movie isn't about the Tom Hanks soul getting slowly better?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

fat bossy gerbil posted:

The Fourth Kind (2009)

This movie mostly consists of Milla Jovovich and others “re-enacting” a “true story” with a few tiny bits of found footage thrown in to try and cash in on the Paranormal Activity craze of the time. This could have been unnerving as hell if they had taken some unknown actors and presented it as mostly found footage in a documentary about alleged alien abductions because the premise is absolutely perfect for it. But the movie as it is is a boring and ugly film that tries nothing new and still manages to fail at it.

2/5

They need to start giving instruction manuals with movies.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Wait wait, the movie isn't about the Tom Hanks soul getting slowly better?

Assuming you arent being sarcastic, no, no it is not.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
No I wasn't being sarcastic; sounds like I should rewatch it. Like, I thought the whole *thing* was that they were each more or less the same person in temperament from life to life, except they'd slowly change over the lifetimes based on what happens to them, and you can see a kind of arc with Tom Hanks, from where he starts to where he ends up.

Edit: like, having seen it once, in the theater, my recollection is that he goes from serial killer cannibal, to selfish rear end in a top hat, to coward who finally does the right thing.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 17, 2020

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

No I wasn't being sarcastic; sounds like I should rewatch it. Like, I thought the whole *thing* was that they were each more or less the same person in temperament from life to life, except they'd slowly change over the lifetimes based on what happens to them, and you can see a kind of arc with Tom Hanks, from where he starts to where he ends up.

Edit: like, having seen it once, in the theater, my recollection is that he goes from serial killer cannibal, to selfish rear end in a top hat, to coward who finally does the right thing.

this is a failing of the movie's adaptation. The characters that are supposed to be linked (they are explicitly linked in the books) are not the ones that appear to be linked in the film due to actors playing them.

Several of the characters Hanks portrays are actually mostly irrelevant to the story such as the Hotel guy, Irish author, scientist whistleblower and actor portraying the book publisher in court. It is the single biggest problem of the movie and distracts from the actual theme and who the reincarnated characters are supposed to be.

Sorry for the rant, but like I said its one of my favorite novels so I could go on forever about it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Taking of Pelham One Two Three really is the perfect movie. Insane New York accents, 70s cinematography, great workplace comedy, the crime thriller stuff is amazing, and Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw are in basically every scene

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Haywire really is the perfect movie, just Gina Carano kicking the poo poo out of three of the biggest movie stars in the world

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

morestuff posted:

Haywire really is the perfect movie, just Gina Carano kicking the poo poo out of three of the biggest movie stars in the world
YES! I think it's an underrated action classic.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Underwater — was hoping badly this was an underrated gem but it’s just lazy and half-hearted. Stewart makes hay but they give her extremely little to work with. JT Miller had a gigantic green light to riff and he can’t get killed soon enough. Feels like there’s 20 or 30 more minutes that got sloppily cut out and you’re so happy they were.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

morestuff posted:

Taking of Pelham One Two Three really is the perfect movie. Insane New York accents, 70s cinematography, great workplace comedy, the crime thriller stuff is amazing, and Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw are in basically every scene

I also really like how it showcases the elaborately analog subway system.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Keteke (2017): 5/10
Murder By Contract (1958): 7/10
Noi Albinoi (2003): 5/10
Song of the South (1946): 4/10
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk (2016): 9/10
The Wedding Party (2016): 5/10
Woubi Cheri (1998): 7/10
Samsara (2011): 9/10
Big Night (1996): 7/10
American Utopia (2020): 8/10
The Keep (1983): 4/10
The Quatermass Xperiment (1955): 7/10
Knives Out (2019): 9/10
The Birds (1963): 8/10
Sleuth (1972): 9/10
Clue (1985): 8/10
Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary (2002): 6/10
Rear Window (1954): 9/10
Tout va bien (1972): 7/10
Quatermass 2 (1957): 7/10
Rope (1948): 9/10
The Invisible Menace (1938): 5/10

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I see a fellow Billy Lynn fan has logged on. Thoughts on that one?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I see a fellow Billy Lynn fan has logged on. Thoughts on that one?

It's good.

I'll link my letterboxd review here, I didn't feel like writing one beyond "I enjoyed this" but the weirdly tepid/adversarial general response and how little it seems to be talked about now confused me.

I remember when it came out and I had no interest in seeing a movie about a guy doing a halftime walk filmed in a super high frame-rate (I guess everyone else had the same thought). I listened to the "Blank Check" podcast episode about it and got interested in checking it out as close to the intended 3D 4k 120fps or whatever format that was shown in a (very) few theatres on its release. I had to settle for 60fps 4k on my TV but I was still pretty blown away by it. I thought it was a nice little movie about a soldier who winds up being a part of propaganda and the hypocritical nature of war (specifically the Iraq War).

I haven't read the book but I understand the basic notion of it being satirical and I believe having a lot more cutaways and narration by Billy Lynn that the movie doesn't. I think Ang Lee did an interesting job adapting it and adjusting the satirical parts to more subtle elements fitting in with a more realistic movie perspective.

The frame-rate seems to be the sticking point in most reviews, and quite frankly I didn't see any issue with it. For the first few minutes I remember thinking it looked like a video game because of how high fidelity and smooth it is, and past that it wasn't an issue, it didn't look weird to me at all. At 4k and 60fps it's like you're looking through a window in to the characters' reality, I felt very close to everything happening in the movie and less so that I'm watching a projected image at just high enough of a frame rate to trick my brain in to thinking it's fluid (i.e. 24fps with motion blur).
I saw the first Hobbit movie in theatres at 48fps and also remember that looking weird for the first minute, and then after that it just felt like watching any other movie (except not as fun, since, you know, the Hobbit was not a great movie). I don't know, maybe my brain has been ruined by years and years of playing video games at normal frame-rates so I don't find it weird :shrug:

Anyway yeah, I thought it was a nice movie, very well shot, and I love the writing and performance by just about every single person in it (although Steve Martin was an odd choice and I'm not sure that holds up well). I'm not sure it's on some objective (if there is a thing) scale a 9/10, but it hit me hard emotionally and I really enjoyed the experience watching it, and the more I read reviews that just mention the frame-rate and don't engage in the actual movie, the more I dig myself in to the 9/10 position. I love you Billy Lynn.

https://letterboxd.com/piratejerk/film/billy-lynns-long-halftime-walk/

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I also watched it due to Blank Check. You should try out Gemini Man too - aside from the high frame rate (and the director of course) it has almost nothing in common with Billy Lynn, but it's another maligned HFR Ang Lee movie so, who knows. You might like that one too.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Watched The Midnight Sky. It wasn’t as good as I had hoped.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
For those who haven't been following along in the noir thread, or for those interested in my ratings, here are a bunch of noirs I watched:

You Only Live Once (1937) - 89
Pépé le Moko (1937) - 90
La Bête humaine (1938) - 84
Le Jour se lève (1939) - 88
The Letter (1940) - 86
The Glass Key (1942) - 78
Moontide (1942) - 83
High Sierra (1941) - 76
Phantom Lady (1944) - 87
The Killers (1946) - 81
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) - 83
Daisy Kenyon (1947) - 86
Quai des Orfèvres (1947) - 86
Panique (1947) - 86
Road House (1948) - 87
Caught (1949) - 84
Woman on the Run (1950) - 87
Woman in Hiding (1950) - 84
The Breaking Point (1950) - 87
On Dangerous Ground (1951) - 87
The Prowler (1951) - 88
Detective Story (1951) - 83
Appointment with Danger (1951) - 87
The Big Heat (1953) - 87
Pickup on South Street (1953) - 79
The Bigamist (1953) - 82
The Hitch-Hiker (1953) - 82
Private Hell 36 (1954) - 81
The Big Knife (1955) - 79
Mr. Arkadin/Confidential Report (1955) - 87
Blast of Silence (1961) - 88

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I watched Man with a Movie Camera, which I haven't even heard of but Sight and Sound rated best documentary ever and well its really good. I liked how he started getting crazier with the scenes towards the end like this

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Soul - 3/5

I was expecting a lot from this but it's just not as cohesive or charming as Inside Out. I felt like it had too many hands on the script and competing story lines that all suffered in the end. It's not bad, just not great.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Crazy Rich Asians : this is a kind of 'switch your brain off and enjoy the escapism' kind of movie, but unfortunately my brain can't do that. It's well shot, acted, and has some decent laughs, but any movie which expects me to sympathise with and actually cheer for people with such obscene wealth is not one I can get on board with.

The attempted moral that integrity is more important than money is also completely undermined by the film's ending, as the protagonist just gets to have her cake and eat it anyway, so no true sacrifice has to be made.

6/10 I guess, as it was reasonably entertaining.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wonder Woman 1984 2/5 Just really really bad. The third act of WW1 was bad, but this whole movie was worse.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Wonder Woman 1984 2/5 Just really really bad. The third act of WW1 was bad, but this whole movie was worse.

yeah this thing was a mess

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I watched it back to back with the first one and they both seem like basically the same movie, for better and (mostly) worse

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Dune (1984)

How such a competent group of people made a movie so bad is beyond me. I would be interested in a documentary on how this thing became such a mess.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

Dune (1984)

How such a competent group of people made a movie so bad is beyond me. I would be interested in a documentary on how this thing became such a mess.

It's a long long novel with a lot to setup, Villeneuve is doing it in at least 2 parts, and Lynch wanted to do a 3 hour+ cut for it before the producers forced it down to 2h16m against his wishes. That's about it, any other weirdness is probably attributed to Lynch's style, but the plot was really weirdly condensed down in the theatrical cut.

There's a 3 hour fancut that brings it more to what Lynch wanted to do with it, I've seen it before and thought it was pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94d77kdmOvU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lol Villeneuve is not going to get to do his second Dune film. It was a doomed project even before Covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Lol Villeneuve is not going to get to do his second Dune film. It was a doomed project even before Covid.

no you're wrong, it isn't true :qq: