Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Also if you read it, the headline says it would "wipe out" Tory majority and while that's technically true, they would still be the largest party by like 1 or 2 seats over Labour. Lol.

Good work Keith you prick.

E: Cat tax:

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1345514396865490946?s=20

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

WhatEvil posted:

Also if you read it, the headline says it would "wipe out" Tory majority and while that's technically true, they would still be the largest party by like 1 or 2 seats over Labour. Lol.

Good work Keith

20 points ahead baby!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lib Dems on 2 (two) seats would be hilarious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

Not as hilarious as Boris becoming the first ever incumbent Prime Minister to be unseated.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

The news can't even bring on a scientist to explain the latest understanding of how sex and gender work without having to bring on a discredited radfem from the 70s to claim that it's all a trick to allow endocrinologists into your home bathroom for balance.

At this point I'm surprised they don't have an alternative newsreader after each news item saying that everything the other presenter just said is all made up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My read-through of the Discworlds has got to Unseen Academicals and man is the slip in quality noticeable. I couldn't say what it is, but it's just noticeably worse executed than the ones before. I think I'll leave off with this one, I don't particularly want to experience the rest of his decline and I don't want to get to the one where Granny Weatherwax dies.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Dabir posted:

My read-through of the Discworlds has got to Unseen Academicals and man is the slip in quality noticeable. I couldn't say what it is, but it's just noticeably worse executed than the ones before. I think I'll leave off with this one, I don't particularly want to experience the rest of his decline and I don't want to get to the one where Granny Weatherwax dies.

Yeah that's the one where I gave up too. I've read them since I was little but I just couldn't bring myself to read the last couple.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

I'm on the last of the regular discworld series (not the Tiffany Aching ones) and the last few have been a bit of a slog, it's a shame. I put disliking unseen academicals down to not really liking football but the spark and wit is just not there. There are also so many characters to shoehorn in they all feel quite thin.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
my sense was that Pratchett's writing changes to become more verbose in a tell-not-show way in the last few books, and the layered references and humour of the unsaid diminish. The author voice no longer trusts readers to infer characterizations or jokes and must outline them instead

this maps pretty well onto his own description of his experience with a rare form of Alzheimer's, where his memory suffered but his language fluency did not

the Tiffany Aching books are written for a younger audience and still come off OK, though

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 3, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I thought Raising Steam was probably the worst, the Shepherd's Crown was a decent send-off. Don't really plan on rereading either though.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

I concur.

Primarily to see the Lib Dems have fewer seats than the DUP, Shinners, or Plaid, and match the SDLP. :laugh:

Need them at the TUV level. :butt:

edit: missed this;

Dabir posted:

Me as well, instead of an enthralling story it was just one word in front of another till it finished and the same for the next couple until i just stopped buying them.

Terribly sad he's gone and i've barely read any of his older ones since but they are on the shelf for when i can do so again.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 3, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

sebzilla posted:

It's funny that people are still insisting that there's this enormous unfulfilled demand for sensible centrism amomg the electorate, despite the copious evidence to the contrary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

I Shall Wear Midnight is still a good one which comes one year afterwards.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
daddy boris come on tv soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :holy:

lol how did Andrew Marr get where he is, he's a bimbo

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's funny that people are still insisting that there's this enormous unfulfilled demand for sensible centrism amomg the electorate, despite the copious evidence to the contrary.

Wouldn’t Labour under Starmer ostensibly fill that demand? With Labour tacking to the centre and Brexit “done”, I don’t know what the Lib Dems are selling the centrist dads that Labour isn’t (or can’t).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Remember that annual parliamentary elections is the one unfulfilled demand of the people's charter.

I think the army also demanded annual elections during the Putney debates.

Basically previous generations of British radicals were committed to the idea and our constitution continues to be a terrible let down.

Annual elections would be disastrous because there's basically no *good* policy that can be set up and have its positive benefits felt in that short a time. It'd be a recipe for at best complete inertia because nobody would ever propose a policy that would have long-term benefits, and at worst would just be constant culture war bullshit as governments chase the biggest headlines.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I od'ed on the trump thread in gbs after the election and haven't followed it for ages now. When does he have to leave the whitehouse? I want to read it during this period.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I vote we have a referendum every year on whether to have an election that year

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Just had a dickhead on LinkedIn share this as "proof" that the pandemic is in fact a massive hoax and we're living in a dictatorship.

https://dailyexpose.co.uk/2021/01/02/england-nhs-data-support-dictatorship/amp/

I will say, it's at least attempting to use real NHS data in its analysis, although its conclusion is obviously bollocks.

Is there a good stats-based takedown of articles like this out there, showing that the thing is real?

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Didn't Pratchett have a ghost writer in his later years? I imagine having his words and ideas filtered through someone else would also impact the writing style

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

my sense was that Pratchett's writing changes to become more verbose in a tell-not-show way in the last few books, and the layered references and humour of the unsaid diminish. The author voice no longer trusts readers to infer characterizations or jokes and must outline them instead

this maps pretty well onto his own description of his experience with a rare form of Alzheimer's, where his memory suffered but his language fluency did not

the Tiffany Aching books are written for a younger audience and still come off OK, though

For me the decline happened earlier than his diagnosis. By Thud basically all of the main characters had such massive suits of narrative armour that they started to come across as Mary Sues, incapable of ever making a mistake or finding themselves in a situation they couldn't handle. Now possibly this might have been related to the very early stages of his disease but it's a problem that almost all long-running series have - the author (and audience) get so attached to the character that it becomes impossible for them to be written into an actually interesting story.

Granny Weatherwax goes from being a witch scared of her power to the most powerful user of magic on the Disc, Sam Vimes goes from someone trying to be a good copper despite believing ACAB to a literal god of justice, and Moist von Lipwig - a character I always assumed Pratchett introduced because he was aware of the problems with the other main ones - takes just three books to go from con man trying to hide his past to some weird avatar of Good Capitalism.

Interestingly the character that *started* with that level of invincibility - Rincewind - never made a comeback in the late books. He was in a lot of ways my favourite character because he was aware that he was basically unkillable but hated it because he was much more aware of the narrative rules that kept him alive but in really dangerous situations. Also the potato joke at the start of Interesting Times is one of the best throwaway gags in the series.

(Incidentally this is why all superhero movies are poo poo, and I will not be taking questions on this)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

I od'ed on the trump thread in gbs after the election and haven't followed it for ages now. When does he have to leave the whitehouse? I want to read it during this period.

6th is the official confirmation of the election results in Congress, 20th is Biden's inauguration.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ffs

https://twitter.com/LizzyBuchan/status/1345665055443058688?s=19

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mourning Due posted:

Is there a good stats-based takedown of articles like this out there, showing that the thing is real?

I dare say that anyone who thinks the pandemic isn't real at this point is simply irrecoverable

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

he'll change his mind and announce closure this evening at about half seven don't worry

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

6th is the official confirmation of the election results in Congress, 20th is Biden's inauguration.

Cheers.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pistol_Pete posted:

I watched The Social Dilemma recently, which is very good. It makes a persuasive argument that social media has massively increased political polarisation and led to the collapse of the centre. So the people clinging to centrist electoral politics are probably still thinking of that now-obsolete paradigm where there was a strong centre and elections could be won by appealing to it.

crispix posted:

he'll change his mind and announce closure this evening at about half seven don't worry

About a week ago I predicted the u-turn coming tonight at about 18:34. We differ by less than an hour!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

don't worry we have a plan

https://mobile.twitter.com/LizzyBuchan/status/1345666417396506625?s=20

ok so they miss half of asymptomatic cases, but on the bright side there'll be so many cases that they're bound to find some of them

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Watched 5 minutes and couldn't watch any more. Such waffle and refusal to answer a question. He doesn't even finish his own thoughts. Was talking about schools, Marr started trying to ask about vaccines. Boris said he wanted to talk about exams, Marr let him and instead he waffled about schools being important without a single word about exams.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

therattle posted:

About a week ago I predicted the u-turn coming tonight at about 18:34. We differ by less than an hour!

my understanding of european time is that half seven is 6:30pm, although i suppose you're no longer european

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

GreyjoyBastard posted:

my understanding of european time is that half seven is 6:30pm, although i suppose you're no longer european

isn't that just German

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

Good work Keith you prick.

E: Cat tax:

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1345514396865490946?s=20

What an excellent catte!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Election maps is unsurprisingly a melt

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1345445629498191873?s=19

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Is fully automated luxury gay space communism on Facebook a goon thing?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

when I want people to stop making fun of me, I make sure to :qq: extra hard about it in public forums so they know how much they're getting to me

e: also very well in polls is an interesting way to phrase "2 points ahead in a single poll"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1345665394095382528?s=19m

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

XMNN posted:

when I want people to stop making fun of me, I make sure to :qq: extra hard about it in public forums so they know how much they're getting to me

e: also very well in polls is an interesting way to phrase "2 points ahead in a single poll"

Lol that's the CEO of opinium

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

jiggerypokery posted:

Is fully automated luxury gay space communism on Facebook a goon thing?

Isn't that more an Aaron Bastani thing, he had a book on it.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

XMNN posted:

2 points ahead of an obvious trainwreck of a pm and govt. But I'm sure similar standards would apply to a leftwing leader too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Tory owns an actual slavery era sugar plantation :lol:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1345666693914374145?s=20