Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've been out of the loop, but I've spent the week catching up on a few fights and reading the thread.

a few thoughts: I've never been impressed by canelo until now, but I am impressed. finally. i dunno. there's something about how he fights that has often just made me go "he's good, but is he actually winning, or is he just earning points against people who can't fight."

the loma fight was kind of mind-boggling. I mean, as much as you can call it a fight?

the briedis-glowacki debacle is loving horrifying, the timekeeper just loving hammering the bell for ten seconds while the ref ignores it and lets the dudes go on

ggg is essentially done with being at the top of the charts for how long it took him to get szeremeta out of the way

the dazn guys aren't great and I still wait for hbo to wake the gently caress up and get back into it, but I'm warming to them a little. they actually disagreed with each other in one of the fights I was watching, and it was mildly interesting for a bit. they also couldn't figure out which rocky movie burning heart was from for a minute, so it's at least the fun of amateur hour instead of the "are you watching the same fight as the rest of us" horseshit of skysports.

idk, I'm not the greatest pundit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

hexwren posted:

a few thoughts: I've never been impressed by canelo until now, but I am impressed. finally. i dunno. there's something about how he fights that has often just made me go "he's good, but is he actually winning, or is he just earning points against people who can't fight."

In the past, I think his fundamentals were excellent but looked so fundamental and paint by the numbers that it took away from my perception of his polish.
But now he finally seems more comfortable to let out his style and ends up looking slicker.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

kimbo305 posted:

In the past, I think his fundamentals were excellent but looked so fundamental and paint by the numbers that it took away from my perception of his polish.
But now he finally seems more comfortable to let out his style and ends up looking slicker.

Yeah, it feels like his fundamentals are still excellent but his rhythm and timing are just way sharper. I dunno if it's just confirmation bias but it feels like nowadays he gets into exchanges already having the upper hand just with footwork and defence where previously he'd get into pretty even exchanges and get the upper hand during them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I can see that, yeah. to me it also seems like he's more willing to pursue and push guys to the edge of the ring

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm getting emails from DAZN hyping the Garcia and Campbell fight today. Anything interesting about it?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Shankel Magnus posted:

I'm getting emails from DAZN hyping the Garcia and Campbell fight today. Anything interesting about it?

besides two heavy hitting high profile lightweights slugging it out? there’s the opportunity for ryan garcia to be EXPOSED as FRAUDULENT

also i guess technically it’s a wbc title match for an interim title

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Why is the fight so early in the day if it’s in Dallas?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

Why is the fight so early in the day if it’s in Dallas?

dazn is the one promoting it and they’re based in england and largely cater to an english audience

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gutierrez is beating the piss out of Rene

E: this did not age super well but great fight

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 3, 2021

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Declan MacManus posted:

besides two heavy hitting high profile lightweights slugging it out? there’s the opportunity for ryan garcia to be EXPOSED as FRAUDULENT

also i guess technically it’s a wbc title match for an interim title

Fantastic - life the last couple of years has kept me from getting to enjoy boxing like I used to and I'm just starting to get back into it again.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Rene Alvarado lost his belt in an upset to Roger Gutierrez, Alvarado himself picked up the belt in something of an upset against Cancio, who got the belt by upsetting Machado, who upset Corrales, who upset Uchiyama to win the belt initially. What a very silly line of belt succession.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

main event's starting if you were waiting on it

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

please let's outlaw riding litters to the ring

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

please let's outlaw riding litters to the ring

At least Garcia is a lightweight, Fury making people carry him is just cruel

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

campbell's not gonna make it to the end

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

campbell's not gonna make it to the end

I mean, this technically could be true

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

god drat he fuckin tagged him

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

I mean, this technically could be true

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

great fight so far

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

great fight so far

Agreed. Garcia isn't going to go out quietly, so whatever happens it should be interesting.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

some of the best exchanges I've seen in recent memory, round 4 they were both on the gas

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Holy poo poo that shot was vicious

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
My god

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
wow loving love a body shot win

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

garcia is legit and maybe the hardest puncher in the division but probably not better than #3 just based on where his footwork is at

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
2021 could be SO GOOD at lightweight

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Pretty good win by Ryan Garcia, but he has a few big holes in his game that he needs to fix ASAP if he is really the "future" of boxing. Totally flatfooted and flawed footwork in general, telegraphs/loads up on almost all of his shots, drops his hands when he throws punches, moves straight back away from punches, etc... He might be able to beat Gervonta Davis if he can stay away from Davis' big shots, but Devin Haney is far more polished and would almost certainly outclass Garcia at this point in their careers.

He kind of reminds me of Amir Khan, and not in a good way. He's got fast hands and can crack, but his technical deficiencies leave him very vulnerable. I would like to see him fight someone else before either Davis or Haney, someone like Javier Fortuna or Richard Commey. He needs a bit more time to develop.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Pretty good win by Ryan Garcia, but he has a few big holes in his game that he needs to fix ASAP if he is really the "future" of boxing. Totally flatfooted and flawed footwork in general, telegraphs/loads up on almost all of his shots, drops his hands when he throws punches, moves straight back away from punches, etc... He might be able to beat Gervonta Davis if he can stay away from Davis' big shots, but Devin Haney is far more polished and would almost certainly outclass Garcia at this point in their careers.

He kind of reminds me of Amir Khan, and not in a good way. He's got fast hands and can crack, but his technical deficiencies leave him very vulnerable. I would like to see him fight someone else before either Davis or Haney, someone like Javier Fortuna or Richard Commey. He needs a bit more time to develop.

I don’t know. I think Ryan needs a lot of improvement before he faces tank. Tank would crush him. Ryan’s still young, he has a lot of room to improve. It’s weird to be saying that about a guy who’s 21-0. There were rounds during the fight last night where Ryan looked amateur. He pulled it off in the later rounds though.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Was gutted for Campbell last night but it really was a poor performance from him. For me he only won the knockdown round and did not have anything to counter Garcia's aggression for the rest of the fight.

Does anyone really think Garcia vs Haney is next? I suspect that they will manoeuvre the Fortuna mandatory ahead of Garcia for Haney If they think that is an easier fight.

If anyone is subscribed to DAZN monthly, I just checked their schedule and they only have two fights for the rest of January: Kelly vs Avanesyan which has been cancelled this morning (and wasn't on UK DAZN i believe) and the Kovalev fight, who they are currently suing for piracy so who knows. I'm going to cancel until Feb I think.

There has been mention of moving Kelly vs Avanesyan abroad but Kelly has been avoiding this fight for two years now so it's possible that he will try to move on to a Conner Benn fight.

smojphace
Jun 21, 2005

The SituAsian posted:

Kosei Tanaka was unable to become the fastest ever four weight world champion when he was stopped by Kazuto Ioka in Japan. Ioka is now in prime position to fight either Srisaket Sor Rungviasi or the winner of the Roman Gonzalez - Juan Francisco Estrada rematch to unify super flyweight.

https://twitter.com/corey_erdman/status/1344583865189490688

Also a white woman with cornrows got knocked the gently caress out in a South Carolina parking lot (I guess a while ago, but this is the first time I'm seeing it)

https://twitter.com/TimBoxeo/status/1344730747882647555

Both remind me equally of why I love boxing. Happy new year everyone :toot:

what a gross post

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Welcome to the boxing thread

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

Welcome to the boxing thread

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Boxing 2021: Battle of the Youtubers

Seriously though, does the boxing thread still want to be named Boxing 2019?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Brut posted:

Welcome to the Clay Collard Show

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Brut posted:

2019 only just ended tho

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Brut posted:

A name change to 2021 would be nice.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Boxing Thread 2021: FOTY - Jake Paul

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There may be a new thread in the works.

https://twitter.com/TheOneTwoBoxing/status/1349577771769622531?s=19

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

That is amazing and v freaky to watch. Would love Joshua Klitschko like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Same, I'd watch whole fights like this.

Be interesting to show someone an unfamiliar split decision and ask the viewer who they thought won.