Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous

that was a really fuckin good movie

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

biosterous posted:

Right!? It's so gorgeous and meaningful and daring and just, good. It's just an all-around good movie. Thank you for watching with me!

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

biosterous posted:

ya

Goons Are Gifts

I loved it so much and when I, again, fell asleep after the first half, I dreamed about this lovely mustache

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tomorrow, Saturday January 2 at Midnight GMT (that's 4pm Pacific, 7pm Eastern in the US), join me for the start of Janimation Anuary!, a whole month of animated films for BYOB movie night online!

Our first feature is Sita Sings the Blues, by my hero and personal choice for best living animation director, Nina Paley!

It's a brilliantly animated uber-indy film about Hindu cosmology and feminism. Mz. Paley is a STAUNCH opponent to copyright laws so her work is free to watch, and if you haven't seen any of it already you owe yourself, she's incredible.

See you in http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies tomorrow friends, and Happy New Years Day to you!

Sig by Heather Papps

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Tomorrow, Saturday January 2 at Midnight GMT (that's 4pm Pacific, 7pm Eastern in the US), join me for the start of Janimation Anuary!, a whole month of animated films for BYOB movie night online!

Our first feature is Sita Sings the Blues, by my hero and personal choice for best living animation director, Nina Paley!

It's a brilliantly animated uber-indy film about Hindu cosmology and feminism. Mz. Paley is a STAUNCH opponent to copyright laws so her work is free to watch, and if you haven't seen any of it already you owe yourself, she's incredible.

See you in http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies tomorrow friends, and Happy New Years Day to you!

NINA IS A GOOD HUMAN BEING

BoldFrankensteinMir

Kief Richards posted:

NINA IS A GOOD HUMAN BEING

Nina is tres awesome to the extreme. A couple years ago I wrote to her to see if she'd work on a project (total hail-mary move but I haaated the animator I was stuck with) and although she was not interested she was really professional and cool about it, had a list of recommendations for other animators she knew, and kept up on the project with us. Absolute treasure of a film-maker, and her TED talk on copyright needs to be taught in every media theory class.

Sig by Heather Papps

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Nina is tres awesome to the extreme. A couple years ago I wrote to her to see if she'd work on a project (total hail-mary move but I haaated the animator I was stuck with) and although she was not interested she was really professional and cool about it, had a list of recommendations for other animators she knew, and kept up on the project with us. Absolute treasure of a film-maker, and her TED talk on copyright needs to be taught in every media theory class.

Oh gosh yes. I actually use that as a reference when I'm talking to people who are wanting to do more I'm the industry.

She's done some really excellent work with younger people cracking until animation as well. Just a wonderful human being.

BoldFrankensteinMir

If I get to introduce one yobber to Nina Paley I'm gonna be excited.

Warning: This film does contain cartoon naughty bits at places. I think it's justified but you be your own judge, point is this movie is NSFW.

Sig by Heather Papps

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
sita sings the blues is an absolute joy to watch. i'll try to join in, though sometimes i read to my nephew over zoom at that time

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Manifisto

sounds good!

ty nesamdoom!

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Excellent choice.
Her blog: https://blog.ninapaley.com/

Prof. Crocodile

Very excited for this!

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I love love love Sita Sings the Blues and what's more it's one of the very first movies I ever watched with Bingo Bango. I'm running around tomorrow trying to get paperwork done and stuff but I'll really try to be around for this.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Cartoons have begun (and will be running the whole time, technically!), join us at http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

it's good!

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HugqxcODjQ

Barking Gecko

Thanks BFM. That was a great choice.

Manifisto

ya thanks!!

BoldFrankensteinMir

I'm really glad y'all liked it! Thanks for putting up with technical difficulties, even so I feel like this year is off to a great start.

Sig by Heather Papps

Pigsfeet on Rye

I'm meat on the hoof
BFM, that was a really good movie, thanks for choosing and screening it.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Thank you for coming, Pigsfeet! Watching movies together even in a small group is a luxurious rarity this winter, I hope to live it up to its fullest with y'all.

On that note, looking back through this thread I've noticed that we have a great time when the movies we watch are good or bad. But I have a suggestion moving forward, and I want to know what you think.

What if instead of just one movie night that's twice weekly, we have two movie nights weekly, and one is for good movies one is for bad? Because I love watching great awe-inspiring stuff like the works of Paley and Murnau, but oh man it was so fun riffing that dogfood&turd sandwich The Night They Saved Christmas for a movie night, it made my season.

Thoughts? Saturday masterpieces and Wednesday night cheeseathons? Or should we just keep doing whatever and seeing what happens?

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

i like this idea

Pigsfeet on Rye

I'm meat on the hoof

Thank you for coming, Pigsfeet! Watching movies together even in a small group is a luxurious rarity this winter, I hope to live it up to its fullest with y'all.

On that note, looking back through this thread I've noticed that we have a great time when the movies we watch are good or bad. But I have a suggestion moving forward, and I want to know what you think.

What if instead of just one movie night that's twice weekly, we have two movie nights weekly, and one is for good movies one is for bad? Because I love watching great awe-inspiring stuff like the works of Paley and Murnau, but oh man it was so fun riffing that dogfood&turd sandwich The Night They Saved Christmas for a movie night, it made my season.

Thoughts? Saturday masterpieces and Wednesday night cheeseathons? Or should we just keep doing whatever and seeing what happens?
I like this idea, especially with kaiju and chop-socky in the cheese mix.

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I have to be in the right mood to want to laugh at a bad movie but I'll watch a good movie whenever so I like this idea.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Barking Gecko

Heather Papps posted:

i like this idea

:same:

biosterous

that sounds excellent

gallery of sigs

he/him

Prof. Crocodile

very sad I missed this week, but always down to enjoy a bad movie, but selecting one will be tricky.

there are terribly bad bad movies like the room, and incredibly good bad movies like the original suspiria—and a whole spectrum in between.

much to think about.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Agreed, mon prof. I'm enthused that we can at least run shorts off Archive, they have the complete Jam Handy and Young American catalogues, so we'll never run out of industrial short films to skewer. Features will be tough though, but I'm on it!

Sig by Heather Papps

nut

pecan posted:

i saw this at a monthly film club thing once and i couldn't believe how fun it was to watch

dunno who this poster is but this was posted earlier for a bad movie 2 watch i have faintly heard of it par chance

Prof. Crocodile

nut posted:

dunno who this poster is but this was posted earlier for a bad movie 2 watch i have faintly heard of it par chance

Would be down for this. Is it on Youtube I wonder?

BoldFrankensteinMir

What should we call these new movie nights to keep them straight? I don't want to use Saturday and Wednesday because some folks are Sunday/Thursday brunch-time viewers. And the names should inform people what they're in for.

A-movie night and B-movie night? BYOB masterpieces and BYOB disasterpieces? Let's throw some ideas around.

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

mystery chill theater 2021

biosterous

byob filmtalk and byob filmmock

gallery of sigs

he/him

BoldFrankensteinMir

biosterous posted:

byob filmtalk and byob filmmock

:hmmyes:

If we pick titles we really like I'll make more banner ads. Reading the news about England today, there is still a need for this weird little group project to exist.

Sig by Heather Papps

Pigsfeet on Rye

I'm meat on the hoof

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Would be down for this. Is it on Youtube I wonder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swjjlrfCaXs

Stoner Sloth

BYOB Movie Night and Son of BYOB Movie Night

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

BYOB Movie Night and Coupons & Deals movie night

biosterous

Kief Richards posted:

BYOB Movie Night and Coupons & Deals movie night

lmao

gallery of sigs

he/him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU