Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Alchenar posted:

I mean it is one of those 'badly done good concept' things but the whole point of that narrative is that the Clone Army is finally ready to use so Sidious and Dooku lay a trail of breadcrumbs that lead to Yoda starting a war.
Now I'm imagining a montage of previous failed attempts where a Jedi is given clues to lead them to Kamino that they fail to follow and each scenario ends with Sidious and Tyrannus facepalming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's genuinely clever. Obi Wan gets himself caught spying somewhere he shouldn't be and the Jedi then double down on this by launching a full scale invasion to rescue him.

Why does everyone stop asking questions about the existence of the army or why the bounty hunter who was the clone template was clearly working for the separatists? Because in any investigation the Jedi would have to admit to everyone just how badly they'd hosed up the Separatist diplomatic crisis. Their inability to let go of their holy war against the Sith has resulted in a galaxy spanning conflict and they're basically okay with that.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cheesus posted:

Now I'm imagining a montage of previous failed attempts where a Jedi is given clues to lead them to Kamino that they fail to follow and each scenario ends with Sidious and Tyrannus facepalming.

Sidious: Should...should we just tell them? That's the sixth one this month.
Dooku: Well, if me hiring a bounty hunter who hires another bounty hunter who uses a droid to deliver worms to kill a senator doesn't work, then yes, it may be time to just walk into the council room and tell them about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wouldn't be surprised if Sidious had a backup plan or three. While the breadcrumbs left were enough to get a Jedi on the trail, the armies were still there, waiting to be used, and he was in charge of both of them. He stood to win however things played out.

Ironically the whole idea that Star Wars became too much about the Jedi is almost meta here- the Jedi never think to get anyone else on board, and let being basically the Republic's federal police get to their heads. Ironically, the Rule of Two means the Sith have to rely on others, and rather the point of the Empire is to create an entire society in the image of the Sith's will that's firmly under control.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I like the big viewscreen the Trade Federation uses to talk to Amidala. When it's vibrating into an image it looks like she's....a PHANTOM!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The bigger fish planet core sequence is definitely playing with the idea of phantom menaces and bigger powers lurking in the depths. It's too bad that final gigantic monster fish doesn't come back in ROS. Sheev's from naboo after all and I would like to see Rey and Ben fight a dragon

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
A real rear end star wars dragon would have been something.

Symbolically speaking, the emperor IS eaten by a dragon in ROTJ when Vader throws him into the core. It mirrors Jabba feeding his subjects to the rancor in the pit, and there's a big belch of fire.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FunkyAl posted:

I have good news about The Mandalorian for you.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

mllaneza posted:

I have good news about The Mandalorian for you.

This is a lame dragon! Dragons talk ancient tongues and have ancient treasures, think men foolish, have to be lulled into thousand year sleeps with enchanted instruments, that kinda thing

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Grendels Dad posted:

The Jedi don't know yet that they are in for a massive war against droids, and as far as they know, the clones are for them. It's the armed forces equivalent of receiving a dozen pizzas you didn't know you ordered, but which are also already paid for. If you listen closely to the music in that scene, you can hear Sheev cackling and hanging up the phone.

Like, Obi Wan being a bit of a dumbass and having the clues fall into his lap is the point. He is the cleverest of the Jedi and his bright idea is "Go to the place on the map that has been crossed out with a sharpie".

It is now canon that Sheev pranked called the Jedi all the time.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 2, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

FunkyAl posted:

Symbolically speaking, the emperor IS eaten by a dragon in ROTJ when Vader throws him into the core. It mirrors Jabba feeding his subjects to the rancor in the pit, and there's a big belch of fire.

Or the Sarlaac, indeed.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
but should the Space Dragon's hide be lightsaber proof or not

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Clone Wars had an arc where they fight a Godzilla, and if there's anything better than a dragon it's a Godzilla.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay this is probably the stupidest idea I've had about the ST and Star Wars but hear me out.

In the Last Jedi, Yoda, a past Jedi Master, "destroys" the sacred texts. Luke is sad but Yoda tells him that basically, the next generation (Rey) has what she needs and will move on.

Is all this a meta reference to Lucas/Disney making the "unaltered" versions of the OT- the Truest of the One True canon to most Star Wars fans-unavailable? Like, SW fans put *so much weight* on Han shooting first and all the minor things about the theatrical cuts (or at least the theatrical cuts as preserved via early VHS and laserdisc releases), and those are, to them, sacred.

But Yoda/Lucas is like, whatever. It's not such a big deal.

And later, Rey does have the sacred texts. And, like, people now do have access to the unaltered cuts of the Star Wars trilogy if they so desire. It's on the Internet, you've got fan restorations of them to 4k quality. That old tree is the "official" home, you can't get them from there, but- they're somewhere, right?

I maybe doubt that this is what Johnson and Co. intended, but like- he is a filmmaker aware that people want access to these cuts, that the official source ain't making them available for whatever reasons, but like, you wanna see Han shoot first, you can right?

And like it makes sense because Yoda's like "we made a lot of mistakes, whatever, the next generation will learn from us" and Lucas has never treated Star Wars with the sacredness that its fans have.

Addendum: I am drunk.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

This guy, this is my kind of guy.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
When Artoo Deeto is fixing the hyperdrive in phantom menace, he turns and says something to the camera. I assume he's saying something funny or cool, like an action hero, but he's a robot who speaks in squiggles. This is a high level joke.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

In Solo, Lando's droid became part of the Falcon, and in Empire, Artoo jacks into the Falcon, so that's two people who have screwed the Falcon

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I just noticed in TPM how hosed up it is that Qui-Gon runs an assay on Anakin’s blood without getting anything even resembling consent. Absolute bullshit.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

FunkyAl posted:

This is a lame dragon! Dragons talk ancient tongues and have ancient treasures, think men foolish, have to be lulled into thousand year sleeps with enchanted instruments, that kinda thing

In case you did not understand the picture posted beneath you, The Bendu is literally exactly what you said to a tee. You've got some stuff to watch.

And yes, Clone Wars has a Godzilla as well.

Edit: how did I miss your response. This response is now for everyone else.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Jewmanji posted:

I just noticed in TPM how hosed up it is that Qui-Gon runs an assay on Anakin’s blood without getting anything even resembling consent. Absolute bullshit.

He runs amok, pretty much. He ignores everybody's requests, is lit dire red when he diverts everybody to tattooine, and I noticed that in a lot of shots, his cloak is lit black or a near black even tho it's "objectively" dark brown. He's where Obi-Wan gets his "point of view" poo poo from when he warns him about what the council said about the boy. He doesn't ask his Shmi before he bets on Anakin's life!

Darko posted:

In case you did not understand the picture posted beneath you, The Bendu is literally exactly what you said to a tee. You've got some stuff to watch.

And yes, Clone Wars has a Godzilla as well.

Edit: how did I miss your response. This response is now for everyone else.

What's next, angels?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

FunkyAl posted:

What's next, angels?

TCW Season One Episode 18: Mystery of a Thousand Moons

In a more literal sense, Overlords, Altar of Mortis, & Ghosts of Mortis in season 3

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I started rewatching Clone Wars thanks to this thread and I think I spotted a really nice piece of design

It's the twin bridges. A fairly obscure fact about the Roman republican army was that even at the highest level of command, an army would have two generals, and they would command on alternate days. The republican version of the star destroyer has two command bridges. I might be reading too much into it, always a risk, but it's only ship with that kind of bridge and the republic forces do have a pretty collaborative style of command. A cool touch.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

FunkyAl posted:

He runs amok, pretty much. He ignores everybody's requests, is lit dire red when he diverts everybody to tattooine, and I noticed that in a lot of shots, his cloak is lit black or a near black even tho it's "objectively" dark brown. He's where Obi-Wan gets his "point of view" poo poo from when he warns him about what the council said about the boy. He doesn't ask his Shmi before he bets on Anakin's life!

What's next, angels?

Qui gon is a maniac. It's funny how much of the Sheevwalker Saga is set up by him just being a freestyle monk-cop in a decaying democracy

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ingmar terdman posted:

Qui gon is a maniac. It's funny how much of the Sheevwalker Saga is set up by him just being a freestyle monk-cop in a decaying democracy

In the same way the fairy tale planet Alderon gets replaced/superseded by the all-to-real Death Star, and the blatantly evil Empire replaces the nominally good Republic, and Darth Vader replaces Anakin, etc., by the end of TPM, Sheev has replaced Qui gon.

Which implies some curious things about Qui gon.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
How did he get Anakin's blood to Obi-Wan to test? Did he like send someone back to the ship with the blood? Did he scan the blood with a doodad and send the scan as a file?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

2house2fly posted:

How did he get Anakin's blood to Obi-Wan to test? Did he like send someone back to the ship with the blood? Did he scan the blood with a doodad and send the scan as a file?

Anakin was cut while working on the podrace. He used a handheld blood scanner to take a sample, on the pretense of making sure the cut wasn't infected. He then transmitted the results of the scan to Obi-Wan, who used the ship's computer to analyze the data which the scanner recorded.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay this is probably the stupidest idea I've had about the ST and Star Wars but hear me out.

In the Last Jedi, Yoda, a past Jedi Master, "destroys" the sacred texts. Luke is sad but Yoda tells him that basically, the next generation (Rey) has what she needs and will move on.

Is all this a meta reference to Lucas/Disney making the "unaltered" versions of the OT- the Truest of the One True canon to most Star Wars fans-unavailable? Like, SW fans put *so much weight* on Han shooting first and all the minor things about the theatrical cuts (or at least the theatrical cuts as preserved via early VHS and laserdisc releases), and those are, to them, sacred.

But Yoda/Lucas is like, whatever. It's not such a big deal.

And later, Rey does have the sacred texts. And, like, people now do have access to the unaltered cuts of the Star Wars trilogy if they so desire. It's on the Internet, you've got fan restorations of them to 4k quality. That old tree is the "official" home, you can't get them from there, but- they're somewhere, right?

I maybe doubt that this is what Johnson and Co. intended, but like- he is a filmmaker aware that people want access to these cuts, that the official source ain't making them available for whatever reasons, but like, you wanna see Han shoot first, you can right?

And like it makes sense because Yoda's like "we made a lot of mistakes, whatever, the next generation will learn from us" and Lucas has never treated Star Wars with the sacredness that its fans have.

Addendum: I am drunk.

Putting more thought into it than Disney did in any case

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Snowman_McK posted:

I started rewatching Clone Wars thanks to this thread and I think I spotted a really nice piece of design

It's the twin bridges. A fairly obscure fact about the Roman republican army was that even at the highest level of command, an army would have two generals, and they would command on alternate days. The republican version of the star destroyer has two command bridges. I might be reading too much into it, always a risk, but it's only ship with that kind of bridge and the republic forces do have a pretty collaborative style of command. A cool touch.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's actually a reference to real life Aircraft Carriers. Big Carriers have two bridges, one serves as the bridge for the actual functions of being a boat, the other bridge is for commanding all the plane related functions. American Carriers usually have the plane bridge in the big tower on top and the boat bridge in the bowels of the ship. Other nations have a setup like the Venator where each bridge gets its own tower on top. This all tracks with how Star destroyers are designed to evoke boats in space.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Grendels Dad posted:

Quick and dirty:

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWfx_fFzOrY

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The “angels on the moons of iego” thing is a nice example of how Lucas remixes these various cultural references. They’re called ‘angels’, but the context makes it clear that Anakin’s talking about a variation of the siren myth: feminine sea creatures who lure sailors to their destruction.

That sexist notion comes back with a vengeance in the next film, when Anakin openly voices his masochistic fantasizes of being brutally crushed by Padme: tortured, choked, scarred, etc.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

galagazombie posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's actually a reference to real life Aircraft Carriers. Big Carriers have two bridges, one serves as the bridge for the actual functions of being a boat, the other bridge is for commanding all the plane related functions. American Carriers usually have the plane bridge in the big tower on top and the boat bridge in the bowels of the ship. Other nations have a setup like the Venator where each bridge gets its own tower on top. This all tracks with how Star destroyers are designed to evoke boats in space.

Not quite sure where you got that from, an aircraft carrier's bridge is up in the tower, not down in the ship. Primary Flight Control is sort of like a separate bridge, but not really. There is a separate bridge called the Flag Bridge which is used to command whatever task force or fleet the carrier is a part of, but that's just directly below the regular bridge. Also the only ships with a dual-tower setup are the British Queen Elizabeth-class carriers, which were still being designed when Revenge of the Sith came out.

e: Though with that being said I just checked and apparently the bridges on the Venator are split between ship operations and starfighter operations, though obviously that doesn't tell us much about what the bridges mean thematically or were inspired by (which is what Snowman_McK was going for)

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 4, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I always thought it suggested a kind of redundancy, so if one bridge is taken out the ship can still function with the other. Like how I think ive heard of people living with only half their brain working? Anyway by the time of the original movies the empire consolidates them, probably because one bridge tower is cheaper or something. Same reason they don't paint them any more

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I don't remember seeing this posted here.

https://twitter.com/lindebergart/status/1341671766595424264?s=20

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Oh, I had a feeling there was a practical reason for it, but its very distinct visually that is entirely in tune with how a famous republic (one that the galactic republic is closely modelled on) had their leadership.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Not quite sure where you got that from, an aircraft carrier's bridge is up in the tower, not down in the ship. Primary Flight Control is sort of like a separate bridge, but not really. There is a separate bridge called the Flag Bridge which is used to command whatever task force or fleet the carrier is a part of, but that's just directly below the regular bridge. Also the only ships with a dual-tower setup are the British Queen Elizabeth-class carriers, which were still being designed when Revenge of the Sith came out.

e: Though with that being said I just checked and apparently the bridges on the Venator are split between ship operations and starfighter operations, though obviously that doesn't tell us much about what the bridges mean thematically or were inspired by (which is what Snowman_McK was going for)
This is the HMS Queen Elizabeth, The U.K.'s big Fleet Carrier with it's two bridges prominently displayed in case anyone was curious. You are correct that American Carriers have a boat bridge in the Tower, but they also have a boat bridge inside the ship for if things get rough.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

galagazombie posted:

This is the HMS Queen Elizabeth, The U.K.'s big Fleet Carrier with it's two bridges prominently displayed in case anyone was curious. You are correct that American Carriers have a boat bridge in the Tower, but they also have a boat bridge inside the ship for if things get rough.

I... mentioned... the QE... in my post...

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I... mentioned... the QE... in my post...

I know, I just wanted everyone to know what we were talking about. Picture worth a thousand words etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That sexist notion comes back with a vengeance in the next film, when Anakin openly voices his masochistic fantasizes of being brutally crushed by Padme: tortured, choked, scarred, etc.
He even grovels before her in front of the fire place... like a slave. Just as he does before palpatine after helping cause mace windu's death in the next movie. These little details are why I like going back to the prequels from time to time.