Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

An Istari did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Memento posted:

Sauron is patient. Lava turns into rock, weathers into sediments, gets washed up in a stream, someone will find it.

I think Gandalf outright says something along those lines. You could throw it into the sea, bury it underground- it's loving magic, it'll find a way back. The ring has a will of its own, and isn't entirely controllable by anyone including even Sauron himself. (Funny thing is there's a theory that the ring's got a bit of a death wish and may have basically engineered its own destruction) That and Sauron's making one big effort to conquer the world even without it just because having it out there means he's unkillable.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Even frodo couldn't do it. It's absolutely corrupting in every way. Feels like some kind of allegory or something I dunno

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Ring is less a religion temptation and more of a drug. Sam can't (and won't risk) touching the thing because it's addictive and he has no interest in the high, but he can tie Frodo to the bed and flush his cocaine down the toilet for him until he's gone cold turkey.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Well as the saying goes, the Ring is absolute power. No one is above that temptation, and it's kind of slick that even Sam knows that much and so does not allow himself the option.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
And then the one time he puts it on it tries to tempt him with the world’s biggest garden and he’s like “no that would never work it’s much too big for me”

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Casnorf posted:

Well as the saying goes, the Ring is absolute power. No one is above that temptation, and it's kind of slick that even Sam knows that much and so does not allow himself the option.

It just needs absolute responsibility.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

/Gandalf, standing in the doorway Tom, I have discussed this with your wife and she agrees there will be no more bomb rear end Goldberry Pussy until you drop this ring in that Volcano

<twelve hours later Sauron's tower is a smoking crater and Tom is dancing homeward, already loosening his trousers>

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Lmao if you think Goldberry was anymore willing to give up that Bomadil dick

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlÀser
Dunk a dill pickle-o
Tom Bombadillo

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

christmas boots posted:

And then the one time he puts it on it tries to tempt him with the world’s biggest garden and he’s like “no that would never work it’s much too big for me”

Sam's great virtue in the books is that he knows his place is among the lower class, serving his betters (and dying with them if appropriate even if it would achieve nothing but doom the world). Of course he would never aspire to have a big garden, but if the Ring had offered Frodo a big garden for Sam to work in he'd have been all over it.

He's Tolkien's idealised servant; drinking, loving and fawning over master. It's pretty disgusting.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

sassassin posted:

He's Tolkien's idealised servant; drinking, loving and fawning over master. It's pretty disgusting.

When you put it that way... His big virtue is worshipping some other god before raw, unrestrained ambition. What an interesting take, and a great big double bird to CS Lewis.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Casnorf posted:

When you put it that way... His big virtue is worshipping some other god before raw, unrestrained ambition. What an interesting take, and a great big double bird to CS Lewis.

The Inklings sounds like the worst club ever. Just two grown men endlessly arguing about why Santa Claus should/shouldn't be in your fantasy stories.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

yeah for sure that's way worse than a message board thread about how the rules for time travel in a star trek movie just don't hold water when you really think about it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alhazred posted:

The Inklings sounds like the worst club ever. Just two grown men endlessly arguing about why Santa Claus should/shouldn't be in your fantasy stories.

Have a Splatfest over it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

sassassin posted:

Sam's great virtue in the books is that he knows his place is among the lower class, serving his betters (and dying with them if appropriate even if it would achieve nothing but doom the world). Of course he would never aspire to have a big garden, but if the Ring had offered Frodo a big garden for Sam to work in he'd have been all over it.

They were friends.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I never really got into Wonder Woman's movies, but from the trailers, she looks to be the only kid on the island? How did her family/the Amazons explain that to her?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

They were friends.

Asexual relationships with no power dynamic do not exist obviously. All life is a tool to bend to my will and no other reason.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

I never really got into Wonder Woman's movies, but from the trailers, she looks to be the only kid on the island? How did her family/the Amazons explain that to her?

She was made out of clay and found in a cabbage patch

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cowslips Warren posted:

She was actually Kassandra from AC: Odyssey. :wink:

I don't know the actual answer but maybe read through this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman_(2017_film)#Plot

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I love Mad Max Fury Road, but I can't help but think that if Max, who is obviously a prisoner, showed up to the war rig and said "Uh, hey. Any chance you could cut me loose, too?" that it would have saved him some trouble.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

She was actually Kassandra from AC: Odyssey. :wink:

I don't know the actual answer but maybe read through this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman_(2017_film)#Plot

Doesn't say anything about her being the only kid, so I don't know?

Is anyone else kinda sad to see the trailer for Earwig and the Witch? I know "gotta move with the times" but it seriously looks like all the CGI crap spun out by poo poo studios instead of the one that did Spirited Away and the like.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

10 Beers posted:

I love Mad Max Fury Road, but I can't help but think that if Max, who is obviously a prisoner, showed up to the war rig and said "Uh, hey. Any chance you could cut me loose, too?" that it would have saved him some trouble.

He was feral at the time.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

They were friends.

They don't really become friends in the book until they return to the Shire and Sam becomes mayor (which obviously doesn't make him gentry but no longer peasant-class). The films change their relationship a lot so they're out drinking together before the story even gets started, and Sam doesn't have to come in and clean up the morning after the big party (which is one of the funniest bits of early LotR, "everyone" was invited but then suddenly he acknowledges the help's existence in the world).

In the book everyone is shocked to discover Sam's not illiterate. They barely know each other beyond Master & Servant roles. Sam is appreciated like an exceptionally loyal and affectionate (boy is he physically affectionate) dog.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Lmao if you think Sam was actually his gardener and that wasn’t just a cover to explain to the remarkably (even for the time) homophobic hobbits of the shire why Sam was always over at his house

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sam is Frodo's father. He was only 45 when he gave birth, and to avoid scandal, Bilbo pretended that Sam was their gardener.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Warning

christmas boots posted:

Lmao if you think Sam was actually his gardener and that wasn’t just a cover to explain to the remarkably (even for the time) homophobic hobbits of the shire why Sam was always over at his house

Carthag Tuek posted:

Sam is Frodo's father. He was only 45 when he gave birth, and to avoid scandal, Bilbo pretended that Sam was their gardener.

These are mutually exclusive theories. Do NOT combine them.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlÀser

christmas boots posted:

These are mutually exclusive theories. Do NOT combine them.

Definitely don’t combine them in a google search bar.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Pippin is the barely-legal hobbit spending all his time at a 50 year old man's house in the books. Sam just carries their bags on the first leg of the journey as they take a scenic walk to Frodo's new house in "queer" country.

Everyone in Hobbiton had been suspicious of young Frodo coming to live with his rich eccentric lifelong bachelor uncle in the first place. Sam's dad (living in a nice house at the bottom of the hill owned by Bilbo) never had a bad word to say about them, though. Even after Bilbo started teaching Sam poetry.

The films scrub a lot of the unseemly age and power/class gaps between the hobbits. It's a good change in terms of making them more relatable. But Elijah Wood in one of the twink roles could have been interesting.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

christmas boots posted:

Films anyway it's pretty clear Sam is at best weakly bisexual (with a high het bias) given how much he pines after Rose, much to the disappointment of Frodo who is still gay even in the films (I mean, he winds up on a cruise with his confirmed bachelor uncle, Ian McKellen, and a bunch of fairies, it's not even SUBtext at that point). You can see it when they get out of Mount Doom; Frodo's all getting close to Sam until he mentions Rose then Frodo is obviously disappointed. I assume the real reason he sails to the West is to get over the heartache even more than the Ring.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

You'd think the One Ring woulda offered Frodo something he actually wanted.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Something something Sam destroying Frodo's ring.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

it would be pretty messed up if the ring made frodo gently caress his dad

pretty sure tolkien wouldnt go that far

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Carthag Tuek posted:

it would be pretty messed up if the ring made frodo gently caress his dad

pretty sure tolkien wouldnt go that far

Pretty sure Tolkien saw humans get gassed at the Somme

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Pretty sure Tolkien saw humans get gassed at the Somme

it would also be pretty messed up if the ring made frodo gas his dad

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Frodo's dad died down at the docks.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Carthag Tuek posted:

it would also be pretty messed up if the ring made frodo gas his dad

wot's beans, precious?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

An Hobbit's oven

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The ents were super gay to the point where the entwives all left moved back in with their entmothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I never watched Steven Universe because the fandom was insane. But I'm watching it now and it's actually surprisingly solid