Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea NR Witcher’s really hit that spot for me of just a fun match on either side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
NR Witchers feels wholesome to play compared to no fun allowed NG / Gezras abuse ST decks. And it can be built in quite a few ways, I had trouble fitting all the cards I wanted into it haha

Gave CDPR money and bought the premium Journey. The card backs in this game are really cool looking compared to other online card games, imo.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Does the game not graveyard cards any more if you draw above 10?

e: wow monsters really must be the top meta deck huh? playing seasonal event matches just to clear the battlepass quest and every single one has been monsters.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 28, 2020

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Viy decks are rampant for sure. But seasonal has mostly NG assimilate Ball stone thirst dame plays like a gold engine

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
I've been having a good time with arnaghad, I haven't really run into a lot of sk decks that aren't lippy either which is a real shame.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

It's kind of interesting how Viy has made tall remove so important. A lot of decks have to sacrifice devotion to throw in heatwave or that bullshit Geralt card that resets. This almost makes decks that go wide or assimilate seem even better. Monsters needed something cool to shake things but Viy should probably go. I'm not even sure how you could nerf it without making it boring.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Wow draft mode is so barebones I have to wonder why they released it in this state. There's nothing to it except re-drafting until you get the most overpowered deck you can and there's no reward.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I’ve won way more than I lost against Viy and don’t necessarily hate it but it’s definitely the main example of this “roulette” meta. If you don’t have the deck to take round 1 and at least two methods of tall removal just forfeit

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I'm not even mad my dick got smashed in this hard, it was actaully impressive.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
God. Viy is like a scythe through wheat in this Battle Rush mode.

I'm very pleased with how fast I'm gaining meteorite powder via the Christmas event.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I will say the most annoying part to me about the Viy decks is the 2/10 chance it’s just wholesome overwhelming hunger and you’re screwed because you pushed too hard in the first round because giving viy round control is auto lose

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
New season is out!

My unmodified Lockdown Viper & Wolf Witcher deck worked very well in seasonal mode for unlocking these Season of the Wolf reward book milestones :toot: locks counter Griffin Witcher decks in there super well

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Isn’t viper Witcher/deck manipulation still crashing the game or did they fix it

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 19, 2021

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
I only read about that afterwards. Did not crash or get a disconnect win in 6 seasonal games :shrug:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Pro rank climb was stupidly frustrating this season. Between madoc no unit decks and the lockdown meta this game is getting really unfun :/

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Been using this SK Witchers deck with Sukrus and Arnaghad in the seasonal mode, and it's pretty nuts. Your five Quartermasters are worth like 18-20 points each, and the Arnaghad/Sukrus combo is always hilarious to pull off, especially when you use it to 2-0 'em while a card down in R2.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Thanks for that. I lost interest in the season when it became nr yrden fest. But at least now I can bear to finish the challenges

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I spent the last five or so weeks playing Magic Arena and it's sort of (re)sparked something for DCCGs. Unfortunately as fantastic as the game itself is, the way I want to engage with it (trying/playing a variety of constructed decks and experimenting) isn't really feasible with the more minimal amount of money I'm willing to put into it.

So I figured I would jump over to Gwent and see how I go, I've played before previously, I think it was not long after Homecoming? Anyway, my actual question is what's a good place to see some decent budget decks to act as a good starting point to play around with the various factions and have a bit of variety? Is this a good place to start? https://teamleviathangaming.com/budget/

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Xik posted:

I spent the last five or so weeks playing Magic Arena and it's sort of (re)sparked something for DCCGs. Unfortunately as fantastic as the game itself is, the way I want to engage with it (trying/playing a variety of constructed decks and experimenting) isn't really feasible with the more minimal amount of money I'm willing to put into it.

So I figured I would jump over to Gwent and see how I go, I've played before previously, I think it was not long after Homecoming? Anyway, my actual question is what's a good place to see some decent budget decks to act as a good starting point to play around with the various factions and have a bit of variety? Is this a good place to start? https://teamleviathangaming.com/budget/

TLG's budget decks are pretty solid, though the initial versions are generally intended for day-one newbies, using mostly cards from the starter set everyone gets; if you were a previous player, you might have enough scraps or cards already to jump straight to some of the upgraded versions, or even a full-on meta deck. It's good to have a look at the meta decks in any case so you'll know what you'll be facing. Even if you're morally offended by the idea of net-decking, knowing your enemy is key to coming up with a decent homebrew deck.

Gwent's pretty generous to its F2P players overall, so collecting cards isn't nearly as difficult as in other DCCGs. And if you want to spend a little money, the premium Journey is a very good deal as well; for $10 or so you get the opportunity to earn a bunch of cards, kegs, and extra reward points in the Journey system over the course of a few months, and more weekly quests to help you progress through the Journey levels faster, as well as a unique leader and tons of cosmetics. Don't pay for the current Journey, as it ends in less than a week and you won't have time to earn much of anything, but consider buying the premium pass for the next one when it's released soon. (Don't pay to advance your Journey level, though; even a casual player can get through the whole Journey easily enough just by playing normally...)

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't play much before but yeah I do have a bit of resources from previously. I spend a bunch of the ore for kegs to flesh some basic cards and crafted that upgraded monster budget deck. I noticed things like Oneiromancy and Heatwave are frequent additions so I don't think those are wasted crafts. I have enough resources for two or three of the meta decks but I'll play for a while before I do more crafting since I don't really know what I'm doing.

I don't have a problem dropping $ if I'm enjoying a game but just not whale levels, more like ~MMO subscription~ level, so I'll probably pick up the next journey pass since I'm enjoying myself.

The whole journey/reward book/contract/leveling parts feel pretty good. I saw a video where the guy had an insane amount of those reward keys stockpiled, is there no limit to them (and other resources)? When you're done with the bulk of the contracts is there some renewalable/infinite source? Same question for ore/scraps when the reward books are done?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
There's no limit on any in-game "currency" that I know of, and they never expire; you can pile up as many scraps, ore, powder, and reward points as you want. Some of us beta players still have hundreds of thousands of scraps from when our collections were auto-milled for full value at release.

Reward points (keys) do slow down a bit when you run out of easy base contracts to complete, but you also earn a fair number of them from completing Journey stages (and for the new contracts which are added for each Journey, assuming that continues), and you get some for leveling up, as well as for some daily quests, and you get one every now and again as a daily login reward, so there's always some way to earn 'em.

If you manage to complete all of the reward books, I don't think there's any way to get significant amounts of ore or scraps after that (though you'd still get a few from GG rewards and from daily login rewards), but if you manage that, you won't *need* any ore or scraps; it would take you ages and ages to complete the entire reward book as it exists now, and in the process you'd get enough resources to build a full collection many times over. I've been playing since closed beta, and I play somewhat casually, but enough to complete each Journey, and I usually only manage to complete the three rotating Seasonal branches each month; I've barely made a dent in the standard reward book trees so far.

The only "whale" options are generally certain cosmetics (e.g. leader figures, avatars, borders, and card backs, and occasionally game boards); there are some that are only available for real money in the store, and each Journey's new leader requires the premium Journey purchase to unlock. I suppose buying meteorite powder to convert your cards to premium would count as well, but you can also get random premiums from kegs and powder from the reward trees, so that isn't entirely locked behind a paywall like some of the unique store cosmetics are. Journey is by far the best value for money when it comes to that, as you get the leader, a bunch of outfits and accessories, and some additional cardbacks and avatars/borders and such for $10 every few months. The store packs are usually a fair bit more expensive for fewer items overall, but of course since fewer people buy 'em, they're more unique. You can also buy card kegs for real money if you really wanted to, but you can earn kegs (and ore for kegs) pretty quickly just by playing anyway, so there's no real need to buy 'em. There's definitely no "pay-to-win" advantage in the game at all, unless you count the option of buying a ton of kegs up front just so you can craft a bunch of meta netdecks on day one (and then likely get your arse handed to you because you have no idea what you're doing with 'em anyway...).

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
The Season of Love is here, and as everyone knows, Nilfgaard is the faction of love (in that they love your stuff so much that they'll take it all for themselves), so here's a lovely NG deck for the Seasonal mode!

Bonus: Some epic NG matchmaking at work...

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

the_american_dream posted:

Yea NR Witcher’s really hit that spot for me of just a fun match on either side

lol you loving idiot

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

lol you loving idiot

oh no why? I was thinking it would be my next deck craft since it looks fun

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
It’s fun to play but HELL to play against for me right now

Edit: forgot NG was a thing. Troubled no more!

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 12, 2021

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Edit: forgot NG was a thing. Troubled no more!

You have become the very thing you swore to destroy...

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Speaking of

Just played a clog deck and I’m assuming the plan was to alchemist at some point but long story short he gave me 5 madocs :/

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

I'm so sick of almost every single deck having Oneiromancy. Once is bad enough, but to have Echo on that card is a kick in the dick when you're playing against it.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Squirrel tech baybee

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

About twenty minutes after that post I opened a barrel and got Oneiromancy. I have become that which I hate.

Funny you mention the squirrels, 'cause I was redoing my go-to Skellige deck and thought "Hmm, 6 provision points free, better look at only the 5 and 6 cost cards to get high value stuff :downs: "

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Now legendaries are a whole lot of crazy. Feels like Beta days again.

Foltest + Drummer + Blue Stripe is crazy good, especially in a Pavetta deck.

Also, RIP my Cadaverine deck. :(

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I just checked the Reddit for this and I see they finally brought back a bunch of the leader cards they removed when they revamped the game. I haven't played much since then but I always feel like getting back into it. Pretty sure I still have a couple hundred thousand scrap from back in the day, too.

Am I understanding that Anna Henrietta effect correctly in that you can use up all the charges on your own leader ability and then basically get a new one and do it all over again? Isn't that, uh, really strong?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It can be, but it's kinda a gamble. Without a deck built around them your average leader may or may not be worth the 6-8 points she needs to break even on provisions.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Oh true, I'm remembering now the last time I played I tried out Syndicate and the decks I was browsing were built for each leader. But imagine the mirror match value!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
A proper Assimilate deck should be able to get decent value out of any opponent's leader, and quite possibly ridiculous value out of some, so Anna is a must-include for that archetype.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
It’s me, the guy who always expects that CDPR actually tested their broken rear end (coincidentally always skellige 🤔) new cards

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Late on the seasonal train, but I couldn't wrap my head around Love. Bear probably be broken for a while.

I don't play enough to really be competitive, but I took some pretty good satisfaction when broken Viy decks were flying around that I had a basic rear end NR boost deck that used a few locks and banishes to gently caress with them fairly regularly.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
No one cares but I have no irl friends who play this game so posting. I just hilariously threw a win into a draw by last play coup-ing Joachim with only tactics left in deck 😅

Never seen a Joachim lead to nothing at all

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I've enjoyed all the seasonal gimmicks except Battle Rush; hate not having time to think about my plays, and Gwent's unresponsive UI is frustrating as hell when you're trying to play in a rush.

Ran this deck in the Season of Love and had a fair bit of success:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/193453

I did eventually do the swaps I suggested, though; dumped the Crossbowmen for Angry Mobs (which were really flexible, since they could almost always come down as either 3 or 5 power and also could damage a unit by two at the same time, so there were many potential ways to steal poo poo with 'em) so I could swap Ramon for Triss and Bribery for Coup (which I belatedly realised was a must-have in this mode because all the stolen cards have spy tags; it was hilarious when your opponent steals your Braathens or Dandelion or something and you Coup it...)

Bear has actually been fun as well; it reminds me a lot of old-school beta Gwent, with very early passing in R1 being a viable strategy again. It is pretty RNG-dependent, though; a bad draw and mulligan means you're pretty well screwed. Haven't written up a guide yet, but this is the list I'm playing; an NG Double Cross Shupe deck:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/9e3f9acd9e04846be2adb83da42720bd

Shupe, Radeyah, and Usurper for high-power plays, of course, and Heatwave to remove anything that offends you. Tibor, Vilge, and Golem are natural inclusions, since they have no downsides in this mode. Shilard is similarly really powerful, as your opponent can't mulligan away their 1-power card. (They can use it against a drypass, though, so keep that in mind and consider pushing for a 2-0 if you play Shilard in R1...) Anna is quite good as well; most people are running high-value leaders, so she can usually get something good (and even Lockdown is +6 points one way or the other). In the mirror (which is common here), she's a deploy-based Damien, which is obscene; just remember to use her early, before your opponent gets a chance to use their own DC, otherwise they might be able to create an infinite Anna chain using your Anna, and that will destroy you in this mode... Rico's there to counter Tibor or other big bois, and Musicians just for the lols (handy to drop against a drypass in R2 or to take an R1 win and try to roll Resilience). The rest are just a smattering of decent value 4-5p cards; you don't want any of 'em, but you're likely to be stuck with a few anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Xik posted:

So I figured I would jump over to Gwent and see how I go

So it's been just over a month since I've started playing Gwent on a regular (but still casual) basis. It's a genuingly good game and I've come to appreciate the things that make it different from other titles in the genre. I quite like the extra little decisions that come from the multiple rounds concept, balancing how much to commit, whether to thin your or your oppenets deck a bit etc. I also think I prefer one card per turn over a mana-style system, or at least the Magic style mana system where you had to draw land cards and play them.

Last season I managed to go from rank 30 to 4 mostly using three different decks . I ran out of time, but I think I was probably trending into an area where I'm not good enough to keep climbing. Not that it really matters, as long as I can make progress on quests and in the journey, rank seems less important. I guess I'll see how I go this season.

Some of the new decks that are being played after the update look fun, I'm definitely eyeing that Dwarves deck but don't have the scrap to craft it at the moment. I've got a fair amount of ore (~16k) but am waiting until I hit level 60/first prestige for that extra rare per keg before opening any more...