Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Did Dooku ever get more than a mononym? Or is he just... Dooku?

Also, is it common for jedi to learn where they were taken from? Dooku knows about and inherits his family's fortune and status in some way, and Quinlan Vos still had strong connections to Kiffu/Kiffex in the comics. Do other folks who were inducted into the jedi order in mostly traditional ways know about their families? I remember Ahsoka having some interaction with other togruta at one point, but if I remember correctly they were just some randos, not related to her in any way.

According to Dooku: Jedi Lost, Dooku is from House Serenno. So presumably if he needed a full name it would be Dooku Serenno or Dooku of Serenno.

Also Dooku found out his backstory by accident, when he's a kid and he goes on a Jedi field trip to Serenno and Newtype flashes on some girl that turns out to be his sister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

At one point in Dooku: Jedi Lost, a sound is described as rising "like the Beatles A Day in the Life". That's in a Star Wars book. They literally didn't edit the script at all before printing it as a book and selling it in actual book stores for MSRP $25.

Those self-published Amazon ebooks that try to piggyback off popular searches by being called like "The Star: Wars: Hammer of the 40,000 Space Marines Episode 9: Babylon Lexx" Are more professionally produced than this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gripweed posted:

At one point in Dooku: Jedi Lost, a sound is described as rising "like the Beatles A Day in the Life". That's in a Star Wars book. They literally didn't edit the script at all before printing it as a book and selling it in actual book stores for MSRP $25.

Those self-published Amazon ebooks that try to piggyback off popular searches by being called like "The Star: Wars: Hammer of the 40,000 Space Marines Episode 9: Babylon Lexx" Are more professionally produced than this.

wait seriously? can you like take a picture or something. id like to send it to my friend if real.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait seriously? can you like take a picture or something. id like to send it to my friend if real.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Lmao

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

thanks for that. like i get why. its describing audio sound effects and i guess describing something like. "a bith orgasming" wouldnt explain the sound right but still lol.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

This is worse than bug nest orgies and people falling into piles of used syringes.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Quick, someone add the Beatles to Wookiepedia!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Well, I just had to laugh
I saw the holograph
He blew his mind out in a speeder
He didn't notice that the lights had changed
A crowd of people stood and stared
They'd seen his face before
Nobody was really sure if he was from the House of Motti

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It's a script. Script directions are always out of character and their purpose is not to maintain verisimilitude to the reader but to the eventual listener/viewer. I don't see that as unforgivable.

EDIT: Paul is the Aqualish, the Aqualish is dead.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 3, 2021

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
FWIW, the people working for the Whills writing the story of Star Wars talk about Kirk and Spock in the ESB From A Certain Point of View. Their bits are generally pretty hilarious in those collections.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's a script. Script directions are always out of character and their purpose is not to maintain verisimilitude to the reader but to the eventual listener/viewer. I don't see that as unforgivable.

Yes but scripts usually aren't published and sold as novels. When they are, then perhaps a once over by an editor to make changes to maintain verisimilitude for the reader would have been appreciated

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read Dooku: Jedi Lost. Also known as Ventress reads her bosses diary while being annoyed by a ghost. Its the story of Dooku, just an ordinary Jedi who wanted to experience familial love, fight evil, and had some dark thoughts that that should've been confronted and dealt with instead of suppressed. All of which was expressly forbidden by the Jedi Order. So he became evil.

I know that in theory the problems with the Jedi Order are supposed to be part of a story of institutional failure. A grand tragedy about a society that has decayed to the point that it's easy for fascism to take over. But in practice it's very stupid. The Jedi Order is not a once great group of noble warrior monks who have lost their way, it's a traumatized child factory. "What if they came up with the worst possible way to train Jedi? Just like, comically obviously terrible." is not a very compelling question to me. the answer seems somewhat obvious.

And none of the prequel era stuff even takes the Jedi training very seriously. They take literal babies, expressly forbid them from ever experiencing parental love and leave them in the care of intentionally emotionally distant teachers who communicate in extremely unhelpful vague sayings that imply that the child should know the answer to all their questions already, and the fact that they don't is disappointing. In order to prevent them from ever experiencing bad emotions, they are not allowed to experience good emotions. And when they feel strong emotions of any kind, they are shamed for their failure and told to repress it. If you took this scheme seriously, the obvious conclusion is that all Jedi would be insane. A child who is never allowed to experience love does not grow up to be a functional adult. Your average Jedi would be more like Ed Gein or Albert Fish than kindly old Gandalf

And another thing, Dooku: Jedi Lost is a completely unedited script, including instructions for the sound mixer, that is being sold as a novel. It sucks, don't buy it or read it.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Glad to see a new SW book thread. I loved the SW video games as a kid but never expanded into the EU until Disney reset it. Just seemed too impenetrable. Now I've read a good amount of the new EU novels and I've enjoyed most of them.

I will warn you against Crash of Fate, the other Galaxy's Edge novel. If you thought Black Spire was an ad in novel form, this is so much worse. At least that one had decent characters and a plot that moved along. Crash of Fate could have been a free short story they hand out at Disney and would probably be better because at least then you wouldn't waste hours reading it.

Also on Dooku chat, Master & Apprentice is good, and despite mostly being about Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan there's a bit about Dooku too that begs for a Dooku/Qui-Gon book in a similar style. It also cements Qui-Gon as the one sane Jedi who saw how messed up everything in the Order was.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I've always had a hard time reconciling the Qui-Gon-as-gray-jedi thing with the Qui-Gon-believes-in-midichlorians thing. With how dogmatic the Jedi Order is, it would make more sense for them to find a way to identify their fellow Jedi master race force-sensitive beings through genetics, and for someone who believes more in force mysticism to shun the idea.

Qui-Gon using midichlorian count to argue his case, and then going on to be the one who figures out a way to concentrate his will through the force to manifest as a force ghost and teach Yoda, etc. to do it just doesn't quite add up.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I don't think the existence of midichlorians stands in opposition to the mystical idea of the Force (either in or out of universe). Qui-Gon sees Anakin as being created by the Force for a special destiny, regardless of how that was accomplished. The midichlorian count he does is to confirm his suspicions and provide evidence to the Council; he already suspects Anakin is special and strong with the Force before it happens.

I view it as kind of like how many religious people approach science, where scientific explanations don't remove God from the equation for them, they're just seen as how he accomplishes his will.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I guess I'm trying to picture Qui-Gon having a conversation with Bendu, and all I can hear is Tom Baker laughing incessantly while Liam Neeson grunt-sighs in frustration.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 3, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I guess I'm trying to picture Qui-Gon having a conversation with Bendu, and all I can hear is Tom Baker laughing incessantly while Liam Neeson grunt-sighs in frustration.

That's just how talking to Tom Baker tends to go, yeah

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Finally got around to finishing my reread of The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy.

I forgot how much of a nothing the whole Kuat storyline turns out to be. Given that it was the major throughline of the whole trilogy... that's not great. However, what is great is the following:

- The legit wicked resurrection of Ku'dar Mub'at from the dead.

- Dengar being a completely useless part of the story.

- Bossk getting a literal "and then everyone clapped" ending after becoming depressed to the point that he no longer cares whether he lives or dies.

- Boba Fett kind of getting punked out repeatedly and ending the trilogy without having made any credits, never getting revenge on Balancesheet from stealing from him or shooting at him, not having Slave I, and on his way to cave to Black Sun's demands with the knowledge that they might kill him anyway.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I've always had a hard time reconciling the Qui-Gon-as-gray-jedi thing with the Qui-Gon-believes-in-midichlorians thing. With how dogmatic the Jedi Order is, it would make more sense for them to find a way to identify their fellow Jedi master race force-sensitive beings through genetics, and for someone who believes more in force mysticism to shun the idea.

Qui-Gon using midichlorian count to argue his case, and then going on to be the one who figures out a way to concentrate his will through the force to manifest as a force ghost and teach Yoda, etc. to do it just doesn't quite add up.

While Qui-Gon is written as running counter to the Jedi orthodoxy, he does also do the most orthodox thing in the prequels: ignoring the existence of slavery on Tatooine. So he's not running completely against the grain here. Also, he got Anakin's blood sample by pretending to give him a medical treatment, which is literally what the CIA did to catch bin Laden.

Midichlorians are kind of dumb, but they're essentially a storytelling shortcut to show how powerful Anakin is, and in that regard they're far superior to the KJA method of "a weird bump in your brain, also, a Force thermometer."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rochallor posted:

Midichlorians are kind of dumb, but they're essentially a storytelling shortcut to show how powerful Anakin is, and in that regard they're far superior to the KJA method of "a weird bump in your brain, also, a Force thermometer."

But they also had the thing where Anakin was the only human racer. They could've just played that up a bit more, he's unconsciously using the force to guide himself on these crazy races. Qui-Gon, being somewhat unorthodox, could've recognized that unusual manifestation of Force ability. It was already there in the movie, it didn't also need Midichlorians

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Gripweed posted:

But they also had the thing where Anakin was the only human racer. They could've just played that up a bit more, he's unconsciously using the force to guide himself on these crazy races. Qui-Gon, being somewhat unorthodox, could've recognized that unusual manifestation of Force ability. It was already there in the movie, it didn't also need Midichlorians

But without midichlorians how does Lucas setup the whills for the sequel trillogy?!?1

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rochallor posted:

While Qui-Gon is written as running counter to the Jedi orthodoxy, he does also do the most orthodox thing in the prequels: ignoring the existence of slavery on Tatooine.

Ain't this the truth. They try to bend over backwards in a few novels as to how Shmi remained a slave and it just makes zero sense. Queen's Shadow, which was nothing special and too long, established that Padmè was all about ending slavery and specifically on Tatooine, and even though she sent one of her handmaidens there she could just never find Shmi specifically. It also established that Palpatine did what he could to prevent the Republic from dealing with slavery which just brings the argument back around to "how did nobody notice this dude was evil" territory.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

High Republic will be getting a live stream launch event in little under an hour with some of the authors and publishing team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uILPgvzj708

The first books, The Light of the Jedi, and the youth focused A Test of Courage hit stores tomorrow.

Claudia Gray's YA book Into the Dark hits February 2nd.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Teek posted:

High Republic will be getting a live stream launch event in little under an hour with some of the authors and publishing team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uILPgvzj708

The first books, The Light of the Jedi, and the youth focused A Test of Courage hit stores tomorrow.

Claudia Gray's YA book Into the Dark hits February 2nd.

My library is showing Light of the Jedi being January 9th now :(
I'm second in line for one copy so I'm not getting it day of either way but it's still disappointing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The next senator of Georgia is one of us:

https://twitter.com/ossoff/status/263439891399057408

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Why am I just finding out about this now?!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Lol one of the attack ads called him out for his college Star Wars parody

https://news.avclub.com/gop-releases-attack-ad-shaming-a-guy-for-cosplaying-as-1798258557

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
A certain subset of nerds is gonna be Big Mad about Light of the Jedi -- all three Weird Hyperspace Things introduced in the sequel trilogy get used

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

A certain subset of nerds is gonna be Big Mad about Light of the Jedi -- all three Weird Hyperspace Things introduced in the sequel trilogy get used

The Holdo maneuver, Light Skipping, and what else?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In atmosphere hyperspace jump.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Thwomp posted:

The Holdo maneuver, Light Skipping, and what else?

approaching a shielded thing at Lightspeed to revert to real space inside the shields

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

jivjov posted:

A certain subset of nerds is gonna be Big Mad about Light of the Jedi

When I saw this earlier today, I honestly thought this might have been about the gay married San Tekkas. Having finished more of the book, I realized you were probably talking about something else.

I'm done with Light of the Jedi now. It was a solid start to the series. It certainly brings up some interesting plot hooks for the future, including the hyperspace pathing stuff spoilered above, at least in so far as how that works.

More returning(?) Jedi than I initially considered, with both Oppo Rancisis and Yarael Poof joining Yoda as Council members still.

Thought the Nihil were interesting villains, thankfully more so than what I initially thought when the series was announced. The obvious question, being how they would be a match for the Jedi, and at this stage, they really weren't, but it seems like the stage is being set for things to get more deadly.

As the Nihil command structure got explained, with the usage of "Cloud" and weather imagery, and with the masks, I thought it was a setup to explain the origin of Enfys Nest's maternal line, but that never happened. Maybe that's still to come.

Jedi seemed varied and interesting. Was interesting to see varied force uses, including what I guess is Battle Meditation being reintroduced to canon.

Marchion Ro seems decently developed up until this point, no apparent ties to the Sith or the Jedi, but it looks like there's some sort of galactically oriented history there fueling his desires.

Technology wise, everything thing felt about right. Nothing too far off from where we'll end up being, other than that it still feels weird for the galaxy to not be as wide open this close to the PT. But I guess it's just a matter of thinking of it more like the U.S. somehow having the interstates in place in the 1700s, and then they filled in the rest as they expanded.

Teek fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 7, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've purged so many homophobes from my twittersphere that I kinda didn't even think about anyone reacting to a Star Wars gay couple haha, but yeah, some people are probably equally mad about that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I started Light of the Jedi last night for about 45 minutes before bed as my first new canon book since Tarkin, and so far I'm really not impressed.

Dude's writing straight-up reminds me of a David Weber parody at times. Admittedly, it's way worse in the introduction chapter with the passenger freighter that goes boom and gets a bit better over time. But I'm gonna stick with it.

The whole "we're all the Republic" thing is a bit weird to me and feels really ideologically out-of-place in Star Wars, but hey it's supposed to be a new era where everything is different, so I'll give it a chance.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Drone posted:

I started Light of the Jedi last night for about 45 minutes before bed as my first new canon book since Tarkin, and so far I'm really not impressed.

Dude's writing straight-up reminds me of a David Weber parody at times. Admittedly, it's way worse in the introduction chapter with the passenger freighter that goes boom and gets a bit better over time. But I'm gonna stick with it.

The whole "we're all the Republic" thing is a bit weird to me and feels really ideologically out-of-place in Star Wars, but hey it's supposed to be a new era where everything is different, so I'll give it a chance.

gave that book a cursory skim and, yeah, that writing is not great

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The High Republic stuff makes me feel old, because this is the first big "EU event" that's happened that I just don't have time for and it already feels too overwhelming to get into. This must have been what old-school OT fans felt when the NJO came out.

Drone posted:

Can you (or someone else) explain this a bit more?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

The High Republic stuff makes me feel old, because this is the first big "EU event" that's happened that I just don't have time for and it already feels too overwhelming to get into. This must have been what old-school OT fans felt when the NJO came out.

Really the "main storyline" is gonna be just like NJO, a series of novels. So far there's only one big novel out, so it's perfect to get in on the ground floor

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Nothing too big, It's just a mantra a lot of the Republic related figures offer to affirm their devotion to the common good of the Republic. There's a big push in the series for public works projects and outreach to new and existing member worlds. Basically the Republic chancellor is big on developing technology to expand, strengthen and support the Republic. It looks like it's in the common vernacular, and a lot of representatives have bought into the mindset.

Basically it seems like the series is going to be the challenge of the Republic straining against their growth and prosperity. It's been relatively peaceful (for several hundred years sounds like?), there's no central military and forces are beginning to conspire and coalesce against it. It's not that the Republic/Jedi are complacent either, it's just that they're running up against opponents with the means and methods to provide an actual threat to the Republic as a whole.

The Jedi at least are actively attempting to reach out on the frontier as a force for good, in conjunction with the Republic's technological push to set up new communication and travel beacons. It kind of acts in opposition to how both the Republic and Jedi operate by the time they both fall.

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The High Republic so far has felt the most Star Trek that Star Wars has ever been to me, and not really in a good way? I mean I love both universes, but seeing the Republic being depicted as basically the Federation is a bit weird.

One assumes that this series will be about how the Republic goes from being an enlightened, forward-thinking, progressive state into the gerontocratic, corrupt mess that what we see in the prequels. If it cashes in on that, it'll be interesting.