Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Qubee posted:

Any advice for nabbing a bunch of useful items to put in buildings / zoo / museum, or is the only solution to just park ships at every NPC trader. I wish you could pay money to unlock an NPC on your own island or something.

Expeditions. Run expeditions non-stop, if you aren’t already. They ring home rare, epic, and legendary items, depending on difficulty.

I heard there is some DLC content that lets you manufacture items? But I haven’t unlocked that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

eXXon posted:

1800: I like most of the things about it, but the performance was absolutely awful at first. I have an i5-4670, 24GB RAM and GTX 1060 so fine, it's getting long in the tooth but it shouldn't be this bad. I eventually got tolerable 30-40 FPS at high +/- a few settings, but every time I alt-tab there's a 75% chance the performance will go to utter poo poo. There must be a memory leak or something. Googling is largely unhelpful, mostly bringing up unrelated issues or complaints from the beta. Occasionally zooming in and out to max will help things, otherwise I just have to keep restarting. This is rather annoying because I often need to look up production chains. Fullscreen vs fullscreen windowed makes no difference.
Turn down some settings. Play with it a bit. With a 3770k + 1070 +16gb of RAM I had ~80 fps in a fairly late game world.

The biggest setting for fps is the zoom detail one. Set it fairly low. You can tell if it's the right setting because when you hit a certain zoom threshold the detail should drop significantly.

This is the config I use. You can go to Documents/Anno 1800/config/engine.ini and change the custom settings to match if you want to try it.

code:
       "Custom": {
            "Water": 2,
            "Lighting": 0,
            "Shadow": 0,
            "Terrain": 2,
            "Texture": 2,
            "Anti-Aliasing": 0,
            "Shader": 2,
            "PostEffects": 1,
            "VSYNC": 0,
            "Object": 3,
            "ViewDistance": 1,
            "Upscaling": 0,
            "FeedbackQualityLevel": 4
        }
but this isn't my 3770k config. Might need to turn down one or two settings. The lighting is set to low because I was getting random crashes in dx12 with any other setting and changing the setting made no visual difference at the time. It likely doesn't need to be low anymore but I'm happy with how the game looks and performs.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 3, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mayveena posted:

For Anno 1800 I assume this is not worth dealing with? Has anyone tried it?

Absolutely worth it. Double or triple up on the fire stations and treat that as your "infrastructure" to get you started on power instead of oil wells and such.

Qubee posted:

Any advice for nabbing a bunch of useful items to put in buildings / zoo / museum, or is the only solution to just park ships at every NPC trader. I wish you could pay money to unlock an NPC on your own island or something.

As said, Expeditions and Quests are the big thing early on. If you get past 5K investors you can start working on doing Exhibitions at the Worlds Fair. If you have Sunken Treasure you can use the Salvager as well. If you have Land of Lions you eventually get the research institute which lets you do so much poo poo including going "I'd like a copy of THIS item, please!"

eXXon posted:

I appreciate most of the changes to the game - freeform growing fields are great (what took so long?), though it's puzzling that animal fields are still fixed sizes. It's nice that you can see the production chains in-game, but it would be even better if they told you how many of each building you need for the non-1:1 chains, which is most of them. Selling is easier but it still seems to be an unnecessary pain to balance production to meet your needs. I guess that's Anno for you.

Hit CTRL-Q (or W-E-R-T-Y, they all bring up different lists in the same menu). It was added in later because everyone went "Oh geeze, actually 2205's updates were really rather nice..." CTRL-Q will bring up the production-demand menu, and you can CTRL-click or SHIFT-click multiple islands to sum them together.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
More Anno 2070 chatter - is it normal for your income to take a huge hit once communicators and tv come online? I set up the wiki's recommended chain of one copper mine and one sand extractor fueling two microchip factories and two communicator factories on my outpost island, then an Eco tv station on my main island. Doing so tanked my income down to double digits (still positive, but I'm only making about 45 funbux a tick).

Am I expected in 2070 to supply a whole island with every need, or just concentrate on specific areas?

And are the various extra stations on the tv building worth it or not?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cythereal posted:

More Anno 2070 chatter - is it normal for your income to take a huge hit once communicators and tv come online? I set up the wiki's recommended chain of one copper mine and one sand extractor fueling two microchip factories and two communicator factories on my outpost island, then an Eco tv station on my main island. Doing so tanked my income down to double digits (still positive, but I'm only making about 45 funbux a tick).

Am I expected in 2070 to supply a whole island with every need, or just concentrate on specific areas?

And are the various extra stations on the tv building worth it or not?

In 2070 you tend to have 1 main island (or 1 for each civ/tree later) and the other ones are just supply islands.
No needs tend to run negative in 2070 IIRC so having 1 balanced chain making your income go down is mostly that you produce for way more houses than you have.
Look up the wiki or elsewhere but a fully balanced chain tends to feed a lot of houses.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Zedd posted:

In 2070 you tend to have 1 main island (or 1 for each civ/tree later) and the other ones are just supply islands.
No needs tend to run negative in 2070 IIRC so having 1 balanced chain making your income go down is mostly that you produce for way more houses than you have.
Look up the wiki or elsewhere but a fully balanced chain tends to feed a lot of houses.

I still play 1800 like this. One main island rest suppliers.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Items that provide free electricity are some of the absolute best in the game until late game when you can afford to build power plants for whole industrial districts. Until then you want to prioritize electrified housing if possible. Of course there are some that do it for certain building types at no fire risk, but even with the risk that's a great item.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yes please!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Friends on discord asked for screenshots of my Anno 2070 progress, so here's my settlement so far.

Stormhaven waterfront, my starting island and warehouse. I only have one cargo ship on a trade route at the moment, hauling vegetables and communicators to Stormhaven, but I'm starting to think I need a dedicated trading harbor on one of the other beaches. Also visible: my building module, tea, rice, and health food production.

Stormhaven proper.

I completed a 100% efficient tool production chain supporting 4 tool factories, finally churning these out about as fast as I use them.

These drat wind turbines are going to be the death of me, and no one's selling anything to improve them. Goddamn coal-loving German developers...

Vinland, the first new island I settled. Pictured: the vegetable production I established this place for at first.

I suspect a big part of my income loss was that a 100% efficient communicator production chain was overkill at this point in the game.

Current population is 795 workers and 286 (304 capacity) employees.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I always forget those dense, lush forests. Anno 2070 styled itself like it would be during an ongoing climate catastrophe, but it's world looks so pretty and healthy (and full of mineable resources).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Because there's really no point in letting your ecobalance get too bad on most islands.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've made it to Eco Employees, and realized that Vinland didn't have the wheat fertility - I'd misread. But I did notice a tiny little island near my main city that had vegetable and wheat fertility, so enter Little Kiev.

There's another river slot and 13k tons of limestone here, so I'm considering moving my glass production here as well.

Also, question: I'm looking to keep expanding, but I've hit a roadblock where some of my citizens are sitting at just 1 or 2 % under the need level they need to advance, such as workers with fish and tea. Building more fisheries and tea plantations doesn't seem to have helped, at least not directly.

Anyone more experienced have any ideas?

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 9, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Cythereal posted:

Also, question: I'm looking to keep expanding, but I've hit a roadblock where some of my citizens are sitting at just 1 or 2 % under the need level they need to advance, such as workers with fish and tea. Building more fisheries and tea plantations doesn't seem to have helped, at least not directly.

Anyone more experienced have any ideas?

Production buildings need to have their output hoppers emptied regularly, and depending on the level of the depot serving them it may not have enough gofer carts to keep up with everything around it. Upgrade your depots or just toss another one down in the production areas for the goods which you're underproducing. Also check raw material flows, particularly if you're importing those goods from another island.

You get one cart per level of depot, plus a flying drone at the final upgrade. The island's main Warehouse starts with a flying drone, as do Harbormasters. Fisheries can be built anywhere within their radius, not just on coastal tiles, and one drone can keep up with an average of 3-4 Fisheries built in this fashion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Solved that, got another question.

I've brought the nerds on board and am trying to set up carbon production. I have a functional oil rig, and set up a trade route for a trimaran, hauling functional food and oil to the island where I've set up my nerds. However, the sub does not appear to be actually offloading oil to the island. It's hauling the food just fine, but the oil is just sitting on the sub instead of getting dropped off.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Solved that, got another question.

I've brought the nerds on board and am trying to set up carbon production. I have a functional oil rig, and set up a trade route for a trimaran, hauling functional food and oil to the island where I've set up my nerds. However, the sub does not appear to be actually offloading oil to the island. It's hauling the food just fine, but the oil is just sitting on the sub instead of getting dropped off.

Anyone know what's going on here?

A few things to check:
- trade route correctly set to load/unload crude oil as opposed to, say, refined petroleum
- load/unload stack sizes match and do not exceed the stack size of the trimaran (which is lower than cargo ships iirc)
- nerd island does not have a warehouse full of crude oil already

If all of this is ok then try manually dropping off the crude to make sure the trimaran is starting the route with an empty inventory and watch it to see where the problem starts.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gadzuko posted:

A few things to check:
- trade route correctly set to load/unload crude oil as opposed to, say, refined petroleum
- load/unload stack sizes match and do not exceed the stack size of the trimaran (which is lower than cargo ships iirc)
- nerd island does not have a warehouse full of crude oil already

If all of this is ok then try manually dropping off the crude to make sure the trimaran is starting the route with an empty inventory and watch it to see where the problem starts.

Good call! Thanks for all the help, goons!

I'm warming to the game as I get used to things, so I did another little tour.

Stormhaven remains my primary settlement, all Eden Initiative. I have a single tier four residence, and seeing their requirements is what spurred me to go start on the techs. Stormhaven supplies my entire empire with tools, wood, and most of its building modules. Not shown, the ridiculously hardworking hovercraft Mistral with its +40% speed upgrade from Yana that's constantly buzzing around the map dropping off supplies.

Just hit tier 2 nerds in University Base, and it's also where I'm doing my oil refining for now.

Vinland supplies all my glass and communicators, and sends vegetables to Stormhaven to turn into health food. If I get Tycoons up and running this place has grapes and truffles, too.

New Duette is a small island, but handles bio drinks for Stormhaven and sugar beets for University Base to turn into energy drinks. In 2070 as in 2205, cows suck and I want them all to die.

Little Kiev is the smallest habitable island on the map, but for now at least it's keeping Stormhaven completely supplied with pasta dishes.

I settled Mu because it was the closest oil field to University Base, but aside from an oil rig, aquafarm, and functional food factory there's nothing going on here and it has no fertilities for enzymes or corals that my tier 2 nerds want, so it's probably going to stay a quiet facility.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So I've unlocked the Eco monument. I have space for it, and a thermal power station brought me enough juice to power it. Is there any reason to not start it as soon as I've saved up the $50k?

Also, the nerds gave me an ultimatum so I built their academy, and first thing I'm researching on a whim is an influence area reduction on weather control stations. Given that I'm primarily ecos, is there anything important I should prioritize once this is done?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Exclusion Zone reduction on your offshore wind farms is massive. You don't have to go all in on them, any is good, but if you do you can put the things only 1-2 tiles apart from each other if you stack the modules.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Exclusion Zone reduction on your offshore wind farms is massive. You don't have to go all in on them, any is good, but if you do you can put the things only 1-2 tiles apart from each other if you stack the modules.

Dang, I don't have any upgrades available for offshore wind at all yet. Grabbed an area reduction on my land wind parks, at least, and am working on an influence area expansion for my information buildings. Also lucked out and picked up an upgrade for +15% power generation from thermal plants off of Hiro. I'd go for my fancy career reward super rotors, but I don't have the prototype that needs.

With my monument at stage 3 and just needing another hundred or so executives to finish, I think this continuous game is about done (I set victory conditions to be building a monument, seemed like a good goal for my first game).

I think I like Anno 2070, but boy would I not recommend it unless you're already very familiar with how the series works - I think going from 2205 to 2070 works, 2205 eases you into how the series works and 2070 is then a more complicated iteration on the series that hides a lot more from the player.

On the one hand, I'm definitely more attached to my islands than I was in 2205. I can't just plonk anything down anywhere, and I have to pay much more attention to how I'm laying things out. I feel like my islands all have some real personality to them, because I've had to work much more closely with them and they're not interchangeable piles of numbers (well, they're not as interchangeable as in 2205).

On the other hand, some of the restrictions and player obfuscations just feel silly and arbitrary, and I'm finding it harder to assess and identify problems and inefficiencies. Beyond just the lack of 2205's god window, in 2070 I have to worry about things like access radii on warehouses and production facilities, influence areas on service buildings, etc.

In terms of overall gameplay, I think I prefer 2205. 2070 is more complex, and not always in ways that I enjoy. I like the game, but I think I'm only able to enjoy the game because 2205 already taught me the big picture of how to play and it's been a question of adjusting rather than learning a whole new game. I suspect I would have bounced hard off 2070 in isolation.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

You haven't played 2070 until you finish the Power Games scenario tbh; that one is such a dick.

Edit: Have my biggest 2070 City:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Keep an eye on Trenchcoat for prototypes, buying them off him is the most reliable source.

I am really conflicted about 2205. It's like fast food Anno to me. Fun for a while in a unique way, good aesthetics but if I try to play a long game I just get bored very quickly compared to 2070 or 1404. 1800 is a whole different beast, absolutely the best of the series and I can play for ages without getting bored. Although I usually restart regularly because I love building new stuff.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gadzuko posted:

I am really conflicted about 2205. It's like fast food Anno to me. Fun for a while in a unique way, good aesthetics but if I try to play a long game I just get bored very quickly compared to 2070 or 1404. 1800 is a whole different beast, absolutely the best of the series and I can play for ages without getting bored. Although I usually restart regularly because I love building new stuff.

I like the Anno games because I find them relaxing. Aside from my corn fields (just four of them, to support a 100% efficient service bots chain), I haven't bothered shooting for turbo-efficient production or supply chains. I enjoy sitting back and building, not micromanaging logistics and layouts.

1800 sounds kind of fun, but I strongly prefer the sci-fi settings to the historical. Lush green tropical/temperate stuff is so boring.

Zedd posted:

You haven't played 2070 until you finish the Power Games scenario tbh; that one is such a dick.

Edit: Have my biggest 2070 City:

Dear Lord. :stare: I respect the hell out of the effort that went into this, but I'd never in a million years try to do it myself.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cythereal posted:

1800 sounds kind of fun, but I strongly prefer the sci-fi settings to the historical. Lush green tropical/temperate stuff is so boring.

1800, much like 2070, actually lets you go pretty damned dark, hosed up and polluted if you want. You just don't need to do. Overworking workers, massive pollution from your iron works and pig sties.

Honestly I really feel that 1800 takes the best bits of 1404/2070 and 2205 and mashes them together. Complete with the "god screen" resource overviews of 2205.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

1800, much like 2070, actually lets you go pretty damned dark, hosed up and polluted if you want. You just don't need to do. Overworking workers, massive pollution from your iron works and pig sties.

Yeah, that's the exact opposite of what I want. I'll probably do a Tycoons game next just to say I've done it, but the Ecos are my jam.

What I want, ideally, would be a game set purely underwater. Or in space. Leave the comfortable domains of Earth behind and have a game about settling and building a wild frontier (and before anyone brings up Surviving Mars, without colonist management crap, I like building, not playing Dwarf Fortress).

Alkydere posted:

Honestly I really feel that 1800 takes the best bits of 1404/2070 and 2205 and mashes them together. Complete with the "god screen" resource overviews of 2205.

Suit yourself. The setting doesn't interest me at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And that's a wrap.

I really wanted area reductions on my wind farms with how much juice this monument needs.

Stormhaven, my main city. Grew pretty haphazardly, but not as sloppy as my first Anno 2205 city at least. :v:

Vinland, a catch-all production center for all sorts of stuff to ship down to Stormhaven.

University Base, domain of the nerds. Did very little here after setting up the academy.

New Duette, bio drinks and sugar beets.

Little Kiev, a tiny island devoted entirely to pasta production.

Ard, expanded pasta production and corn HQ for service robots (shipped down to Vinland).

Mu, my main underwater facility.

Triton, meant to rename this place but never got around to it. Dedicated purely to making neuroimplants.

And the Mistral, tireless heroine of the Initiative.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not meaning to spam, but...

I understand you can transfer your ark between sessions. How do I do that? I have the idea that loading my ark up with building modules and tools will save me a lot of inconvenience in the beginning of a new game.

I also understand that you can transfer items and research between sessions, too. I'll probably make my next game as the Tycoons to explore their side of things. Are there any research upgrades that would be really nice to have for a new Tycoon game?

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I understand you can transfer your ark between sessions. How do I do that? I have the idea that loading my ark up with building modules and tools will save me a lot of inconvenience in the beginning of a new game.

I also understand that you can transfer items and research between sessions, too. I'll probably make my next game as the Tycoons to explore their side of things. Are there any research upgrades that would be really nice to have for a new Tycoon game?

IIRC it's just whatever stuff you have packed into its hold when you start the new session. That's why it always takes a second putting in or taking out stuff from the ark's cargo storage

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Your best bet would be to fill it up with stuff create by the techs if you can. Gives you a massive head start.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Cythereal posted:

It's been a long time since I played, but I think you use the same ark between games so long as you're still using the same player profile. So anything stored in that arc right now is what will pop up when you start a new game.

Also, and I may be misremembering, but I think you're able to play the other faction after hitting executives in your main one? Or maybe after finishing the monument? Check if there's a tycoon NPC that will charge you a bunch of credits to allow you to start making Tycoon buildings in the same game session.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Manyorcas posted:

It's been a long time since I played, but I think you use the same ark between games so long as you're still using the same player profile. So anything stored in that arc right now is what will pop up when you start a new game.

Also, and I may be misremembering, but I think you're able to play the other faction after hitting executives in your main one? Or maybe after finishing the monument? Check if there's a tycoon NPC that will charge you a bunch of credits to allow you to start making Tycoon buildings in the same game session.

I've unlocked that, yeah. Was just thinking about starting a new session with different game options to build anew. There's some things I'd like to do differently next time, most importantly bumping quests up from rare. There is so much poo poo I want to buy with licenses and I never have enough.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is the fourth time in an hour my idiots have threatened revolt if I don't have a ridiculous power surplus on my main island. Any way to shut these morons up without wasting time and space on actually keeping that much power surplus?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have had it up to my keister with this thing.

Can anyone see a reason why platinum wouldn't be getting delivered from my metal converter to my lab equipment factory? Or do I really have to try and jam everything onto one of the two not actually connected islands that make up this plateau?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Is there a road to the warehouse? I'm not seeing a rail for the underwater cargo mover on the bottom bit. Any resource that gets to a warehouse should teleport to any other warehouse on the island, but you need to get it to the warehouse.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Doh. Thought the fancy receiving dock said it came with a drone to ferry that stuff like the tier 3 land warehouses do.

That and setting up a new trade route specifically for iron <-> laboratory instruments solved it, thanks!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Underwater warehouses work by their own rules. Mainly they don't get the drones the surface ones do. You have to lay track/sea-road for your cargo-drones.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Underwater warehouses work by their own rules. Mainly they don't get the drones the surface ones do. You have to lay track/sea-road for your cargo-drones.

Duly noted! Was also confused by the underwater area getting divided into two areas with no direct connection.

But my game's chugging along nicely, and I think I might try building the other two monuments.

Just, need to decide now if I want to bother with bionic suits to get up to 1,250 geniuses or just have a larger number of not entirely filled houses for the greedy bastards.

Do techs even make you a profit when fully satisfied?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
just got into this game (1800), could anyone give me some tips on when/how to expand? I've had to reset a few times because every time i start a second island, either on the main map or the new world, my upkeep costs skyrocket and i go broke. I've tried building up a huge stockpile of artisans on my main isle beforehand but that has not seemed to be enough

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

little munchkin posted:

just got into this game (1800), could anyone give me some tips on when/how to expand? I've had to reset a few times because every time i start a second island, either on the main map or the new world, my upkeep costs skyrocket and i go broke. I've tried building up a huge stockpile of artisans on my main isle beforehand but that has not seemed to be enough

What all are you building on your second island? Just settling a new island and filling it with farmers should cost next to nothing early in the game. Without more info I'd guess you're trying to add some expensive production to another island when you can just ship stuff over from the first.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Eschatos posted:

What all are you building on your second island? Just settling a new island and filling it with farmers should cost next to nothing early in the game. Without more info I'd guess you're trying to add some expensive production to another island when you can just ship stuff over from the first.

basically my goal is to get whatever resources are missing from my main island for artisan goods. my last attempt had an island that was just red pepper farms and stuff to sustain the farmers but my economy collapsed while very slowly making canned goods on my main

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

little munchkin posted:

don't overbuild stuff. a lot of people are used to numbers quickly going up, but with anno, that's not the case. a single artisan building making it's specific consumer good can keep so many artisans happy. if you try to follow perfect ratios on the wiki, or think that your stocks are rising too slowly, plopping down more production chains is going to bleed your bank dry as you don't have the population to support it. press Ctrl + Q to open up the production statistics screen to see how much you're overproducing by.

also, if the production screen shows you're overproducing but you haven't spammed a bunch of the same building chain, you can just smack down more housing to rake in the taxes and get yourself in the green.