Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

Oh that's a great call, going down versions will break the profile in random partial ways while leaving other parts untouched. Unfortunately that doesn't make recovery any easier.

This type of poo poo is why I've got my firefox profile included in my regular backup program. I've only had a profile get totally wrecked once in all the time I've used firefox, but it's such a giant pain in the rear end. I also intentionally made a fresh profile around v57. Even that is annoying despite being able to flip back and forth and export your stuff.

(C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles for anyone that doesn't know where to look. The stuff in AppData\Local is just cache stuff so you can ignore it.)

There’s also this: https://www.sordum.org/12298/simple-firefox-backup-v1-2/

It doesn’t back up the whole directory, just like the bookmarks and settings I think, but you can add/remove stuff from it so it’s more thorough.

5+ years ago Firefox messed up my profile frequently enough that I installed Firefox portable and backed the entire application up regularly.

I’ll admit I trust fate a bit more than I should these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thanks. I somehow have the 32bit version installed alongside the 64bit one which I do not remember doing.

lol Megillah Gorilla from 2016 has some explaining to do!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well, this is weird. Sometime in the last few week's worth of updating, my 64bit version has changed to a 32bit version.

I only used the update prompts Firefox put up or via the Help>About menu.

I'm downloading the 64bit version now, but I honestly have no idea how this happened.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Found out why my Firefox was 32bit. I went on the beta release ages ago to try and solve some problems and then (I thought) went over to 64bit after downloading and installing that version.

I even edited channel-prefs.js to get rid of any beta references like Mozilla support suggested. But that wasn't enough.

You also have to edit about :config and go to app.update.channel and manually change it from 'beta' to 'release'.

Now let's see what tomorrow brings.

Next day edit: God loving dammit :eng99:

You said it, 2016 Megillah Gorilla, god loving dammit indeed. A 4 year unexploded landmine, that's some poo poo right there.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Control panel shows it was installed/updated on 27th September, which is just bizarre. But, it also shows a tonne of other programs installed/updated on that date, too.

Yeah those dates must get reset by windows updates or something, I've got a bunch of poo poo that says 8/27/2020 and some of it is old stuff that's been on my PC for years.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Has anyone managed to get the Dark Reader extension and SA to play along nicely?

When I have it set to Static/Dynamic spoiler tags don't work:

When I set it to Filter I get white spoiler tags but it inverts all embedded videos

I just went along with no spoiler tags for ages but I just had an ending of a game I'm playing ruined :(

Happy to try another Dark Mode extension...

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jeff has mentioned bringing out a dark mode for SA so hopefully you don't need to worry about it soon.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I recommend not using that extension on SA if it has weird side effects like that, but instead using one of the nice dark mode stylesheets - when I want to use a dark mode I use a slightly-modified version of the one called "Something Awfully Wronger".

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

astral posted:

I recommend not using that extension on SA if it has weird side effects like that, but instead using one of the nice dark mode stylesheets - when I want to use a dark mode I use a slightly-modified version of the one called "Something Awfully Wronger".

Hell yeah thanks, using that stylesheet now.

One small gripe, is there anyway to turn off the post dimming/highlighting? I don't like how posts are dimmed unless you hover your mouse over them.

edit - worked it out just had to comment out a small section

Nowher fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 15, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nowher posted:

Hell yeah thanks, using that stylesheet now.

One small gripe, is there anyway to turn off the post dimming/highlighting? I don't like how posts are dimmed unless you hover your mouse over them.

That's one of the tweaks I did to it; let me pastebin my slightly-modified version of "Something Awfully Wronger" somewhere. It still needs some work (it doesn't support the 3 new bookmark colors yet and the bookmark colors it does support are quick-and-dirty), but it's probably still several steps better than the default.

https://paste.mozilla.org/qnXok6av/raw

Other stuff I changed included inverting the plat icons, hiding the default stupid newbie icon because it's so blinding white, basic support for the initial 3 bookmark highlight colors. Maybe something else.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

astral posted:

That's one of the tweaks I did to it; let me pastebin my slightly-modified version of "Something Awfully Wronger" somewhere. It still needs some work (it doesn't support the 3 new bookmark colors yet and the bookmark colors it does support are quick-and-dirty), but it's probably still several steps better than the default.

https://paste.mozilla.org/qnXok6av/raw

Other stuff I changed included inverting the plat icons, hiding the default stupid newbie icon because it's so blinding white, basic support for the initial 3 bookmark highlight colors. Maybe something else.

This absolutely fixes my gripe that it doesn't play as nice with SALR in the forums / bookmarks view. Thank you immensely.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Inceltown posted:

This absolutely fixes my gripe that it doesn't play as nice with SALR in the forums / bookmarks view. Thank you immensely.

Yep this is great, made a few adjustments and it makes browsing the forums so much more enjoyable.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Klyith posted:

lol Megillah Gorilla from 2016 has some explaining to do!

You said it, 2016 Megillah Gorilla, god loving dammit indeed. A 4 year unexploded landmine, that's some poo poo right there.

Mother. loving. Goddamn.

I knew there was something tickling my brain when I saw that 32bit version last night. After I switched off the beta channel 4 goddamn years ago, I must have left the 32bit version installed as "insurance" in case the 64bit one screwed up again.

For 4 years, the 32bit versions sat there, unused and unseen. Just waiting to mess my poo poo up.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't post much in this thread but this whole saga was very entertaining to read. :buddy:

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
Apple Silicon native support in 84 works great! High CPU watching videos but I think that’s always been a wrinkle for non safari browsers on MacOS?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fivehead posted:

Apple Silicon native support in 84 works great! High CPU watching videos but I think that’s always been a wrinkle for non safari browsers on MacOS?
It's certainly been a problem for Firefox on everything not-Windows for the longest time, but recently hardware offload was enabled (and it works for me, at least on FreeBSD).
Apple offers the VideoToolbox framework for VAAPI-like access to encoding and decoding via hardware offload, so I imagine Mozilla either needs to or is working on getting that enabled, assuming Apples own silicon supports it.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

This may be better-answered in a different context, but is there an extension to Firefox that allows for the viewing of twitter without JavaScript? It looks like twitter just removed (or gimped) their non-javascript-based mobile.twitter.com domain. Alternatively, is there a site that acts as a mirror of live twitter that doesn't require JS?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

take_it_slow posted:

This may be better-answered in a different context, but is there an extension to Firefox that allows for the viewing of twitter without JavaScript? It looks like twitter just removed (or gimped) their non-javascript-based mobile.twitter.com domain. Alternatively, is there a site that acts as a mirror of live twitter that doesn't require JS?
Twitter webui is REACT, which is an entire website written in javascript.
The only good way remaining is Tweetdeck, which Twitter bought some time ago, and which is what social media people and Twitter developers tend to use.
It's also the only way to properly filter out all the likes and retweets that crop up in the timeline, and the only way to get the monotonically-increasing timeline (rather than one sorted by what Twitter thinks you're interested in).

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

take_it_slow posted:

You could always use nitter(.net), which has a ton of extensions which'll redirect twitter links to it. It's to twitter what newpipe &c. are to youtube. There are options you can turn on that require javascript, but it works without it (so far as I know, I didn't exactly test it out much).

The obvious drawback is that it isn't (and I can't find a way to) view your twitter feed. You can view specific accounts and tweets, but if you wanted to endlessly scroll your timeline, I don't think there's a way. So that's possibly a problem, depending on what you mean by "viewing twitter."

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zenostein posted:

So that's possibly a problem, depending on what you mean by "viewing twitter."
Nitter for clicking other peoples twitter links mixes well with tweetdeck for endless scrolling of ones own timeline (as well as custom queries, notifications, and many of the other columns it offers).
Tweetdeck is using an internal API which isn't accessible to third-parties, so that's why nitter can't really fully replace it.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Zenostein posted:

You could always use nitter(.net).
Thank you, that's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Nitter for clicking other peoples twitter links
That's the only thing I use twitter for.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Is it just me or does sending tabs from desktop to mobile no longer work quite right? The notification doesn't pop up anymore unless I manually go to my account on mobile and tell it to sync (and it'll say last synced 0 minutes ago before I hit the button). I even let it sit overnight with a sent tab and nothing ever popped up. :shrug:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just caught this on ghacks via slashdot.

quote:

Mozilla is "investigating" a design refresh for its Firefox browser. Ghacks reports that the refresh is referred to internally as "Photon."
Information about the design refresh is limited at this point in time. Mozilla created a meta bug on Bugzilla as a reference to keep track of the changes. While there are not any mockups or screenshots posted on the site, the names of the bugs provide information on the elements that will get a refresh. These are:

- The Firefox address bar and tabs bar.
- The main Firefox menu.
- Infobars.
- Doorhangers.
- Context Menus.
- Modals.
Most user interface elements are listed in the meta bug. Mozilla plans to release the new design in Firefox 89; the browser is scheduled for a mid-2021 release. Its release date is set to May 18, 2021...

[Developer/Firefox extension author] Sören Hentzschel revealed that he saw some of the Firefox Proton mockups... He notes that Firefox will look more modern when the designs land and that Mozilla plans to introduce useful improvements, especially in regards to the user experience. Hentzschel mentions two examples of potential improvements to the user experience: a mockup that displays vertical tabs in a compact mode, and another that shows the grouping of tabs on the tab bar.

I'm sure the new designs will work great, that Mozilla will listen to user input and pigs might fly.

Maybe now the awesome bar will expand in size to take up the entire screen.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 3, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Both vertical tabs and tab grouping do sound like potentially nice features to support natively, mind.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

According to their bugzilla, one of the things they are considering is hover card tooltips for the bookmarks bar with a thumbnail of the site; I hope that does not make it through or can be disabled.

It sounds like the initial design is going to have much taller tabs in 'normal' mode. The reason the fellow suggested putting vertical tabs in compact mode to begin with was apparently so that they wouldn't have to support regular-sized tabs any longer, but luckily it sounds like most people understand that vertical tabs should not be tied to a specific mode.

This is from their 'early mockup' where 'designs are still TBD':

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I got a new PC with a 4k monitor, and I'm on Linux so of course there are fun little issues. I'm running KDE and I was able to increase screen elements to get things to a usable size, but for whatever reason Firefox doesn't follow the setting even though from what I've read GTK apps are supposed to. I was able to increase web page size easily enough by setting the default zoom to 150%, but the menu text is still tiny. Here's what Firefox looks like compared to other apps:

I know I can Google my way out of this, but I'm hoping someone here has run into the same issue to save me some time. I tried setting layout.css.devPixelsPerPx in about :config to a different value, but that just changes the spacing and icon size and leaves the text the same size. I also found some CSS hacks that I'm sure is the way I'll need to fix it, but the ones I found online were older and didn't work, I'm hoping someone here has the right stuff in their CSS files.

Thanks.

Edit: Never mind, it wasn't an either-or, I needed to tweak both layout.css.devPixelsPerPx and add the below to userChrome.css.

/* #tabbrowser-tabs, #navigator-toolbox, menuitem, menu, ... */
* {
font-size: 15px !important;
}

Edit 2: I suspect I'm not the only person who will be looking for this too:
#PlacesToolbar #OtherBookmarks { display:none!important; }

Knormal fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 6, 2021

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Knormal posted:

Edit 2: I suspect I'm not the only person who will be looking for this too:
#PlacesToolbar #OtherBookmarks { display:none!important; }

You can right-click and hide the Other Bookmarks button in Firefox 85. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1674539

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Applebees posted:

You can right-click and hide the Other Bookmarks button in Firefox 85. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1674539
Nice of them to get to that eventually...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The new Diablo 3 fansite, Maxroll.gg, embeds twitch streams on every loving page.

I was using the following to adblock it:
code:
||player.twitch.tv^$third-party
until I discovered that duh, it blocks Twitch embeds everywhere, including here, when someone posted a video they uploaded to Twitch in the Slay The Spire thread.

Is there a way to either whitelist Twitch embeds on the SA forums, or make that rule apply only to maxroll.gg?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kheldarn posted:

The new Diablo 3 fansite, Maxroll.gg, embeds twitch streams on every loving page.

code:
until I discovered that duh, it blocks Twitch embeds everywhere, including here, when someone posted a video they uploaded to Twitch in the Slay The Spire thread.

Is there a way to either whitelist Twitch embeds on the SA forums, or make that rule apply only to maxroll.gg?

If you use uBlock Origin, you can use cosmetic filters:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Procedural-cosmetic-filters

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

code:

Something like this, I believe:

code:
||player.twitch.tv^$domain=maxroll.gg

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

code:

I think if you change it to:
code:
||player.twitch.tv^$third-party,domain=maxroll.gg
It should only apply to maxroll.gg, as per https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Static-filter-syntax#domain.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I added ,domain=maxroll.gg to the end of it, and it's working as desired. Thanks, all!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
goddamnit how do i force firefox to run flash now aaaaaaaagh! do i need to find an unupdated flash plugin from some murky filehos full of ransomware? gently caress my my rear end why did i forget to put autoupdates off

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

lollontee posted:

goddamnit how do i force firefox to run flash now aaaaaaaagh! do i need to find an unupdated flash plugin from some murky filehos full of ransomware? gently caress my my rear end why did i forget to put autoupdates off

"Just stop doing the thing that depends on that" is the most annoying answer to get, but in this case it's the right one.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you need to keep flash working for something of critical importance that is local to you*, the answer is to install a separate instance of a different browser, for example an old version of chrome/chromium. Never use that browser for the general internet.

*ex: a hardware device with flash interface

If you need to keep flash working for something of critical importance on the internet, use a VM to run your out of date browser. Windows Sandbox is easily enabled on any win10 system. It is a giant hassle. Use that hassle as a reason to stop using whatever website still needs flash in 2021.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

On the one hand, it's the most frustrating answer computer touchers can give, because it's completely unhelpful. Even "run it in a VM with snapshots to revert to when finished" is more helpful.

On the other hand, computer touchers having to support whatever setup the user is used to, and where the EOL was announced over three and a half years before the product was killed off, is incredibly frustrating.

I'm not sure there are any good solutions.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Klyith posted:

If you need to keep flash working for something of critical importance that is local to you*, the answer is to install a separate instance of a different browser, for example an old version of chrome/chromium. Never use that browser for the general internet.

*ex: a hardware device with flash interface

If you need to keep flash working for something of critical importance on the internet, use a VM to run your out of date browser. Windows Sandbox is easily enabled on any win10 system. It is a giant hassle. Use that hassle as a reason to stop using whatever website still needs flash in 2021.

thanks, i just need this for a single oldass site to work for a couple of friends is all

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

lollontee posted:

thanks, i just need this for a single oldass site to work for a couple of friends is all

See if this works for your stuff:
https://ruffle.rs/

It is a Flash Player emulator built with Rust and compiled into WebAssembly. It is beautiful and Homestar Runner is using it for their new website.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nalin posted:

It is a Flash Player emulator built with Rust and compiled into WebAssembly. It is beautiful and Homestar Runner is using it for their new website.
This is cool - and it led me down a rabbit hole of all the old animations I've got saved from way back in the day, because I've been too lazy to do the whole VM thing.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nalin posted:

oh man, thank you. its perfect

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It is missing some functionality (namely ActionScript 3), but I think in time that'll be added too as there's a tracking issue for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It is missing some functionality (namely ActionScript 3), but I think in time that'll be added too as there's a tracking issue for it.

https://ruffle.rs/#compatibility

It also isn't fully AS1 and AS2 complete, but depending on how old his stuff is and how complex it is, it still might work out fine.