Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean a big part of it is that he's digging his heels in so deep and constantly replying to people over a story that's clearly made up/exaggerated rather than just recognizing that he should stop posting for the day. That's the thing that's made him the Main Character for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

He didn't teach her any way to do it, though. Also, it's just hilarious to me that after the smugness of the original thread and all his responses, it turns out he'd never heard of one of the only two functions of the thing.
I think theres enough dumb things about this quest to draw the ancestral can opener knowledge from his child through sheer will alone without getting into all the cool advanced can tricks he could have taught her if only he wasn't such a can opening noob lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it was probably a lot of going back to their room and then coming back out when they wanted to eat again

but i absolutely believe a gen x dad would spend 6 hours straight solving a jigsaw puzzle. especially if it's got a lot of pieces

i would be a bad parent because the kid would say "ow help i think my ankle's broken" and i'd say "OK, put some ice on it, i gotta keep managing these supply chains in graveyard keeper until I finish setting up the zombie automation. if i stop moving the whole economy falls apart"

luckily for the world my steam backlog is my children

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 3, 2021

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Endorph posted:

1) a hungry 9 year old might keep at it for an entire hour, let alone 6, if told that if they gave up they wouldnt get to eat, period
2) if hes lying about this thats even more insane
I mean I'm going with #2, but I'd wager every 9yo I've known would just fuckin put the thing down and refuse to do it or throw a fit after a while :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stroop There It Is posted:

I mean I'm going with #2, but I'd wager every 9yo I've known would just fuckin put the thing down and refuse to do it or throw a fit after a while :shrug:
if he consistently acts like this and hes stubborn enough to not give in when she does that, then she might have learned to just go along with it. kids can be surprisingly sharp and they can learn what leads to the outcomes they want and what doesnt.

the exact 'six hours' figure is probably an exaggeration but three or four hours is entirely believable. ive known people with parents who did poo poo like this is the thing, like i have a friend whose mom made them learn how to tie shoes like this when they were at about that age. if you don't figure it out we're not going to the bowling alley!!! and then they couldnt figure it out even after a few hours so they just didnt get to go that day and the next time there was a Fun Outing it happened again until they got it, and they didnt throw a fit because they knew their parents would punish them worse if they did.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My parents just left me outside when I didn't want to pull weeds. Made a camp in the backyard and everything to prove that I was in it for the long haul.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

this actually happens in his stupid rear end story, but she comes back and tries again because
1.she doesn't stop being hungry after giving up
2.he literally says she will not eat until she opens the can, and those beans are the only thing she can have

Even if it's an incredibly embellished story, how deranged do you have to be to think this is a cute story of the everyday trials of parenting?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

the phase of Twitter where a main character's Twitter history is searched and posted is here and folks its not great.

https://twitter.com/BirdRespecter/status/1345772924028928000?s=19

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
That project he was hyping up with Casey Anthony suddenly makes a lot more sense now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He loving called himself a "student of Hitler" in 2016

Also apparently he tried to encourage people to call him Apocalypse Dad but nope, it's Bean Dad.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 3, 2021

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Filthy Haiku posted:

Even if it's an incredibly embellished story, how deranged do you have to be to think this is a cute story of the everyday trials of parenting?
I mean this bit I agree with, I just think it's silly to talk about his dumb story like it actually happened

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Twitter is a game where you bet your livelihood that every joke is gonna land.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Excited for the possibility of a new intro/outro to MBMBAM ngl

If you have a podcast and you use the same intro and outro track(s) on each episode, those tracks can be no longer than however long the Giant Bomb intro/outro is. That's the law.

Or be like Uhh Yeah Dude and use different music on each ep.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean this bit I agree with, I just think it's silly to talk about his dumb story like it actually happened
why not? hes presenting it like it happened, hes defending it like it happened, and allowing for some slight exaggeration its not dissimilar to real stuff that people do to their kids at that age. plenty of people had parents who made every 'learning experience' a weird trial they had to overcome. why not allow for the idea that it basically happened?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Excited for the possibility of a new intro/outro to MBMBAM ngl

If you have a podcast and you use the same intro and outro track(s) on each episode, those tracks can be no longer than however long the Giant Bomb intro/outro is. That's the law.

Or be like Uhh Yeah Dude and use different music on each ep.

I generally wait until just after "Travis insists he's a sexpert", then hit the 30 seconds forward button. Lands me just before Justin's first words.

(The intro song is too long, and mixed too loud)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Admittedly I just resubscribed because I want to hear if there's any fallout.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Way to turn the thread into Twitter discourse discourse you dweebs

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

My daughter asked me to help her get food, and I said “not now f— daddy’s busy with his train puzzle”

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sankis posted:

the phase of Twitter where a main character's Twitter history is searched and posted is here and folks its not great.

imagine being 42-43 and tweeting this poo poo

e: usually it's tweets when someone was a teen or an edgelord in their early 20s and like. ok that's pretty fuckin bad but now you're an adult so just don't do it anymore and get better. this dude been an adult believing this poo poo for a long time and put his name on it

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 3, 2021

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

why not? hes presenting it like it happened, hes defending it like it happened, and allowing for some slight exaggeration its not dissimilar to real stuff that people do to their kids at that age. plenty of people had parents who made every 'learning experience' a weird trial they had to overcome. why not allow for the idea that it basically happened?
By all means, feel free to believe it did happen, I personally just think he's doubling down on a fake or hyperbolic #parenting story because he's an idiot

Colonel Whitey posted:

Way to turn the thread into Twitter discourse discourse you dweebs
what did you expect lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

john roderick just really wanted to paint a picture of himself as the real life version of Calvin's dad, okay

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
tweeting about thos Beans

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Calvins dad said the n word

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Squack McQuack posted:

Calvin's dad has absolutely said the n-word

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Squack McQuack posted:

But I said it so I could say NOT to say it! Guys I was saying don't say it!!!! Guys!!!?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

cant believe someone on the max fun network will forever be known as Bean Dad and its not justin

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

would you gently caress john roderick

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I don’t believe they will even mention it, much less change their theme song, they still have Lin on the show

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I find the thing where someone has clearly searched someone's username + every curse word really tedious. I mean I get it, but I can't get the image of someone sat at home desperate to cancel someone out of my head. I hate Twitter for many different reasons is what I guess I'm saying

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride
imagine having to play riddle me piss with your puzzlemaster father every time you need a ride to elementary school

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Filthy Haiku posted:

imagine having to play riddle me piss with your puzzlemaster father every time you need a ride to elementary school
"can i have a birthday party?"

"oh hi, didn't see you there, daughter. i have a trivia game for you, perhaps you'd like to play along at home"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Filthy Haiku posted:

It's too far even for Travis.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

what did you expect lol

I saw ~60 new posts and I thought a mcelroy was finally canceled, turns out it was just the guy who wrote the crappy theme song so I’m actually kinda relieved tbh

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride
"THIS ONE'S A REAL BRAIN TEASER OOOHOOHOO!"

"Please, Dad, they won't let me go back to school if I don't get vaccinated"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pham Nuwen posted:

Twitter is a game where you bet your livelihood that every joke is gonna land.

I missed this but lmao

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I always wonder what the behind the scene conversation are like when stupid poo poo like this blows up. Do your co hosts bring it up?

Like how many times are the brothers eye rolling at Travis everytime he gets in a twitter spat and say something to him. Griffin is the only one good at Twitter by not playing

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Lmao can't wait for the new theme song

Sankis posted:

John Roderick go on cum town

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
What was the jigsaw?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Some Strange Flea posted:

What was the jigsaw?

An Andy Warhol piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

inferis posted:

What John will refuse to inform people of is that his stories are all some level of self mythology and his relationship to truth is less important to him than the emotional weight of the stories he tells. So it’s very funny to see people unfamiliar with his work seeing it for the first time.
John has probably told hundreds of stories that are this same level of ridiculous across many many podcasts and absolutely nobody cared enough to jump up his butt about them. So the lesson is, if you wanna play it safe, don't tell it to twitter, tell it to iTunes with your mouth.

Wasabi the J posted:

Kid doesn't have any reason to know why they're suddenly being denied food, and their caretaker is changing their routine. Also problem solving gets harder when you're hungry.
I'm not going to defend his actions or character as a father, but she's 9 years old, not 4, and she has probably had enough experiences with Roderick that this "teachable moment" nonsense is not wholly unexpected.

I think the kid is in some kind of shared custody arrangement anyway, so the most likely outcome without this tweetstorm is his daughter telling her mom how much of a dipshit dad was today.