Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Yes, read back a few pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1345759558124384258?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's always a proud day when someone grows up to become a high level Poster.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is the only show that's given me a stomach ache from laughing in a decade or more. Probably not for everyone but it's just so idiotic it's incredible

if you like i think you should leave, you should watch detroiters

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

uk and us racing to see who can ruin the vaccine first

https://twitter.com/MarkLevineNYC/status/1345773561269649408?s=20
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1345536511643709448?s=20

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Remember Starmer is a rudderless Ed Milliband-esque triangulator on a good day so it doesn't matter how small the % of people wanting schools open is, it doesn't matter if they are all childless pensioners with net worth of over £500,000, it doesn't matter if it makes no loving sense at all, if that's a target group for him to 'win back' then they're going to get dollops of tough, meaningless announcements aimed at getting them to give a firm nod to.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Necrothatcher posted:

lmao was reading some drippy Guardian article about Keith and

nice to see the insightful analysis on which the country turns

this is normal as market research focus grouping goes - if Coca-Cola were an animal, what kind of animal would it be; if it were a house, what kind of house; a car, a celebrity, etc. - this is to get around nebulous "I buy it because I like it / I don't buy it because I don't like it" responses

the key is in the follow-up question: "and why do you say that?" which then prompts participants to start rationalizing their initial answers. It is that rationalization which reveals something about attitudes - if participants start attributing certain characteristics to the product then it may be meaningful to poll on that specific angle

the animal of choice is not itself very meaningful - BritainThinks 2019 had respondents compare Johnson to an eagle (and Corbyn to a mermaid)

e: vvv you don't ask that kind of question in a poll, it's a open-ended focus group question

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 3, 2021

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jose posted:

just refuses to back the unions and wants to be shown doing so
https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1345764227412324353

loves laying down the rules this lad ey? No ifs, no buts, no excuses and if you don't do it I will be very cross! I'm serious this time! He has the authority of a supply teacher on the last day of term

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1345779238755049473?s=21

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Goldskull posted:

How is it no-one's mentioned the greatest comedy moment of all time, Delboy falling through the bar? You all voted for it! just like Basil Fawlty smacking a Mini with a branch?
See, some early Only Fools can be quite clever, it's just that most of the episodes that get repeated are essentially meme collections - them dressed as Batman & Robin, the chandelier, falling through the bar, 'cwying' etc. Some of those moments were funny on context mostly as part of the tragedy of Del overeaching without really looking into what he was going for.

It's weird the moments from 'classic comedies' that get memed, because in a lot of cases they're not the best moments, or what made them funny was knowing the character and the lead-up to that moment, like Basil Fawlty hitting the mini with a branch.

I was flicking through channels a few years ago and saw an earlier episode of Only Fools about an ambulance scam that was actually pretty well constructed. Del is given an offer of a contract that seems pretty amazing, and goes to a meal at a local restaurant. Halfway through, the guy has a heart attack, leaving Del to pick up the bill. It transpires the ambulance was fake, and the whole thing was set up to scam a free meal out of Del (I think he also scams him out of a deposit, or important item as well). They spend the rest of the episode trying to track them down, and then right at the end it looks like he's scammed the friends they sent to find him as well, but it's Del and Rodney in the fake ambulance. It's really well done and is great from a structural standpoint. No Nag's head scenes, no Boycie, none of the usual memes, but it works as a show about cockneys trying to grift their way out of Peckham and failing.

The memification and descent into 'do the thing!' humour is what killed it - the point at which the writers stop constructing great scenes that culminate in a memorable catchphrase, and start constructing scenes in order to get to that catchphrase.

This is why Little Britain has always been poo poo because they went straight to the latter kind of construction. Fast Show as well, although they played with the format a hell of a lot better than LB did.

Red Dwarf got absolutely nailed to the wall with this to the point that the better of the two writers left, and now Dave won't even touch it. The best example of this is that the first 'Dwayne Dibbley?' moment was pretty funny in context. Every moment they've done it since has been painfully embarrassing in a way that makes my skin crawl.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

The problem with this kind of polling is that it self-selects for participants who won’t answer questions like that with “is that seriously your loving question? No I don’t know what animal political leaders would be, I’m hanging up now, don’t call me again,” so you get a less intelligent polling base.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Endjinneer posted:

It's relevant that case numbers have been increasing despite lockdown conditions that would previously have been sufficient. Rather than holding back vaccine stocks for a couple of weeks to administer as second doses, the plan is to throw a needle into every available arm in the desperate hope that it does some good.
As pointed out, every vaccine used this way results in a person with questionable immunity. The best outcome is that we carry out a large scale study of efficacy and find later on that it gives meaningful benefit. The worst is that it gives no benefit and all the vulnerable people that survive the experiment end up getting three vaccine shots instead of two.

There is evidence to suggest decent immunity from one shot, at least in the AZ trial because of how they hosed up. As for 'no benefit' i'm not a doctor but that seems unlikely. The lack of a reinfection wave points to a decent level of lasting immunity in people that have had actual covid, combined with the stats that say 1 does goes up to 90% efficiency after 14 days.

I'd say the bigger issue here is 'will it actually be 12 weeks or do we just not get the second dose'. If they can change the dose regimen this late into the game whose to say they won't do it again. Like fine, it's out of control and now we wait 12 weeks for the second dose, but we really have to get that second dose. There can't be any more delays.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’d vote for a gorilla as PM because you might as well have somebody that will literally tear the ruling class to pieces

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

The problem with this kind of polling is that it self-selects for participants who won’t answer questions like that with “is that seriously your loving question? No I don’t know what animal political leaders would be, I’m hanging up now, don’t call me again,” so you get a less intelligent polling base.
That's always going to be an issue with polls though, essentially that you only get responses from unemployed / retired people who have nothing better to do, or people dumb / greedy enough to exchange half an hour of their time for the *possibility* of an Amazon voucher.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's always going to be an issue with polls though, essentially that you only get responses from unemployed / retired people who have nothing better to do, or people dumb / greedy enough to exchange half an hour of their time for the *possibility* of an Amazon voucher.

And people who just want to gently caress with them.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The memification and descent into 'do the thing!' humour is what killed it - the point at which the writers stop constructing great scenes that culminate in a memorable catchphrase, and start constructing scenes in order to get to that catchphrase.

I think all of Only Fools and Horses was written by a single guy John Sullivan and he found it limiting to have such a short run time for each episode, I was watching a documentary about it and he used to re-use scenes cut from episodes for time reasons and eventually got to make a longer form episode like To Hull and Back.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The long episodes are really bloated and generally a lot less funny. Miami Twice is particularly bad.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Re; British humour.

I feel like we haven't really had the sorta working class material you once got since the 80s and it's all now just poshos grifting on Daddy's money who just aren't very funny, I am unsure how to articulate that point better but maybe someone else can reiterate it.

I think Red Dwarf is a classic example where a lot of the cast were from working class backgrounds, had tight script writing and even the race barrier was somewhat broken without it being important to the narrative. Yes there is certainly some dated ideas and outright plain bad and offensive jokes on occasion but compare that to anything in the 2000s onwards and it's still pretty brilliant. (just don't watch anything from series seven onwards of course, oh dear)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jose posted:

closing schools is overwhelmingly popular with the public so you think even if he wants to ignore the unions that'd be enough but no mass death for everyone

It's overwhelmingly unpopular with businesses though as all their staff have to stay home to look after the kids.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Failed Imagineer posted:

I remember chuckling when the idiots at /b/ rigged the poll to name the new Mountain Dew flavour Hitler Did Nothing Wrong. Seems a bit less ironic now...

Getting Pitbull to play a mall in remote Alaska was pretty unproblematically hilarious tho
A bit late to return, but my favourite is definitely the The Fred Durst Society of the Humanities and Arts

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
We have things like Alan Partridge, Brass Eye, Dark Place, Peep Show, The Thick Of It, The Office, and all the various other shows from that very rough area which are all absolutely great. I think it’s important to distinguish between funny in the sense of producing good professional comedy and comedic media, and funny in the sense of the people being funny though.

Also anyone who thinks we should replace professional comedians with shitposting has clearly never been to see live stand up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have also never stabbed myself in the dick for fun but I am more likely to take this thread's advice on that than I am to voluntarily subject myself to live stand up comedy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's sound advice either way.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Regarde Aduck posted:

There is evidence to suggest decent immunity from one shot, at least in the AZ trial because of how they hosed up. As for 'no benefit' i'm not a doctor but that seems unlikely. The lack of a reinfection wave points to a decent level of lasting immunity in people that have had actual covid, combined with the stats that say 1 does goes up to 90% efficiency after 14 days.

I'd say the bigger issue here is 'will it actually be 12 weeks or do we just not get the second dose'. If they can change the dose regimen this late into the game whose to say they won't do it again. Like fine, it's out of control and now we wait 12 weeks for the second dose, but we really have to get that second dose. There can't be any more delays.

The confidence interval on those stats is enormous though. The mean is 89% which sounds great by itself, but the 95% confidence interval on that is 52%-95% or something. Presumably because it's data they gathered by accident rather than design.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Enough staff at my wife's primary school sent section 44 letters that they're opening to key workers and vulnerable kids only. Pretty proud of her today as the main driving force behind drumming up enough support to reach critical mass (she's the school's union rep).

Anyone who thinks teachers "just want a day off" needs their heads checked; even in a literal life and death situation so many more would rather go in, even knowing the risks (we're in T4), than let down kids and parents. It's admirable and intensely frustrating in equal measure, gently caress the government for putting those on the ground in this situation in the first place.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The compere at a tiny show in Colchester called me pube beard and a couple of months later she was on the panel circuit. That's my story.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

extremely cursed

https://twitter.com/BAESystemsplc/status/1345663735663366144?s=20

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Jakabite posted:

The Office

One of these things is not like the others.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SpicePro posted:

I think Red Dwarf is a classic example where a lot of the cast were from working class backgrounds, had tight script writing and even the race barrier was somewhat broken without it being important to the narrative. Yes there is certainly some dated ideas and outright plain bad and offensive jokes on occasion but compare that to anything in the 2000s onwards and it's still pretty brilliant. (just don't watch anything from series seven onwards of course, oh dear)
The other thing that's interesting about Red Dwarf is that the first two seasons at least have a very working class feel to them. A lot of the power dynamics revolve around Lister being untrained maintenence labour, and Rimmer hanging on by the skin of his teeth to a basic qualification as a technician and therefore 'outranking' him.

It's funny that around the time Kryten arrives there's more of a sense of it being about them running the ship and choosing where it goes and having adventures, rather than having to essentially mend things or die as so many of the original episodes were about.

I haven't watched many of the episodes post S5 but that was where they dug their heels in and started really leaning into fan service. Was sort of interested in the idea of the rest of the crew coming back, but only as a return to their status in the original seasons.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 3, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/TheMattWain/status/1345704705234767872?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I have also never stabbed myself in the dick for fun but I am more likely to take this thread's advice on that than I am to voluntarily subject myself to live stand up comedy.

Much like corona vaccines, you get the results by doing one shortly followed by the other

It's not like the next generation are going to have much use for cutlery when they're foraging for grubs in the Zone

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 3, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Put children's lives on hold, put children's lives in the hospital.

Who can say which is better?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jakabite posted:

We have things like Alan Partridge, Brass Eye, Dark Place, Peep Show, The Thick Of It, The Office, and all the various other shows from that very rough area which are all absolutely great. I think it’s important to distinguish between funny in the sense of producing good professional comedy and comedic media, and funny in the sense of the people being funny though.

Also anyone who thinks we should replace professional comedians with shitposting has clearly never been to see live stand up.

Maybe my issue with british comedy is that I don't enjoy 'cringe comedy' where the main character keeps loving up and making stupid cringey mistakes for laughs. I don't enjoy Alan Partridge or a lot of Peep Show for this reason.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

It's fair though. I missed a a few weeks of school with chicken pox when I was 7 and I've never been able to learn how to eat with cutlery since. I have to eat off the floor out of a dog bowl. It's quite embarrassing at work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

Maybe my issue with british comedy is that I don't enjoy 'cringe comedy' where the main character keeps loving up and making stupid cringey mistakes for laughs. I don't enjoy Alan Partridge or a lot of Peep Show for this reason.

I rescind all of my criticisms of your chocolate opinions, we are kindred, comrades, brothers in comedic tastes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ewan posted:

I have to eat off the floor out of a dog bowl. It's quite embarrassing at work.

:jackbud:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Necrothatcher posted:

god damnit maybe its long enough and i can return to the graun to read it ironically because thats hilarious

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

I rescind all of my criticisms of your chocolate opinions, we are kindred, comrades, brothers in comedic tastes.

We have forged a bond that will last a lifetime and never falter, comrade.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Miftan posted:

its like being too scared to watch horror movies, you just gotta get over the hump and then you can enjoy some great stuff.

i was the same the first time i watched the office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But it's not funny though, you're just watching some prat be a prat and everyone else just knows they're a prat and the camera points at them for too long and at some point this elicits laughter in some people. There is no emotion, you are watching a thing that is not funny, or interesting, it is just there. There is no catharsis or tension like in a horror movie, you might as well watch footage of people walking down the street.