Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Shatner has enough money. He's going to stop selling his poo poo in the UK because of what equates to a tax accountant fee on his end? Does he not profit more than $1000/year from the sales of his trinkets in the UK or do the losses start cutting into his History Channel bullshit show money?

I'm not really a fan. Dude always came off as a tremendous douche to me and that's not a reason to celebrate a person.

Shatner's a dick but he's absolutely right not to play ball with this idiocy because if the UK thinks they're special enough to overturn decades of global convention that the importer, aka the reciever, of cross border goods is responsible for duties at the time of border crossing then they deserve everything they're about to not-get-anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

It would end up being 25% to cover the VAT entirely because it's based upon the final sale price. For example, a widget costs $100 pre-VAT. If you just increased that to $120 to offset the 20% tax, you'd pay $24 in VAT ($120*20%) and end up only getting $96 for the widget. To balance that, widget maker will actually have to charge $125 (vat = $25) to get the same $100.

A sudden 25% increase in the cost of goods (which is already probably higher because of shipping costs) is going to cause a large dropoff in orders. Dropoffs in sales mean you get less benefit from bulk shipping, etc. There are cascading effects of such large tariffs and they effectively stop the sale of the good because the price is too high compared to domestic alternatives.

For a real world example, the chicken tax put a 25% tariff on imported trucks which has basically killed all foreign truck sales in the united states for almost 50 years or so. The chicken tax is why toyota trucks and the like sold in America are made in America.

big lol that irish reunification and scottish independence are on the visible horizon while britain is apparently hell-bent on bringing back rationing

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

brains posted:

big lol that irish reunification and scottish independence are on the visible horizon while britain is apparently hell-bent on bringing back rationing

I feel like these things may be connected

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

brains posted:

Don't worry, British Quality will win the day! .....oh.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I for one am glad that the UK has finally seen the light and is fully embracing Juche

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
How hosed is the Isle of Man in all this? I don't think I've seen them covered but I don't typically have Manx news sources come up in my google feed.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
havent listened yet but here ya go

https://twitter.com/CarolLeonnig/status/1345794757696565248

edit: he sounds so loving desperate lmao

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 3, 2021

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Dude is panicking so hard about losing his protection

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hot Karl Marx posted:

When the President does it, that means it's not illegal.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Dude is panicking so hard about losing his protection

I wondered if Donnie having a lawyer on the call might protect him but uh:

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1345798148849950721?s=19

The lawyer is a wingnut gently caress too.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hot Karl Marx posted:

It's desperation combined with 70+ years of getting his way because he said so and not being able to cope with someone going "Nah, suck my dick from the back" and only being able to threaten punishment in vague terms.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Stultus Maximus posted:

When the President does it, that means it's not illegal.

Just curious, what law covers that? It seems like obvious election tampering to put political pressure on an official involved in the process?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's desperation combined with 70+ years of getting his way because he said so and not being able to cope with someone going "Nah, suck my dick from the back" and only being able to threaten punishment in vague terms.

That Mob style, "something may, or may not, happen to you" is straight out of an always sunny charicature

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1345793403171332100?s=20

We got tapes of Trump threatening Georgia's SOS if he can't find the votes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah that tape is pretty unambiguous

Also he's mad as hell goddamn

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1345793403171332100?s=20

We got tapes of Trump threatening Georgia's SOS if he can't find the votes.

Hey 2021, any chance things can matter again now

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Just curious, what law covers that? It seems like obvious election tampering to put political pressure on an official involved in the process?

The Nixonian thing is that you can't charge the sitting president with a crime because the president is in charge of the justice department, which prosecutes crimes. That's why there's a legislative check (impeachment) and generally why states can't charge the sitting president with crimes either.

I'm pretty sure that this playing footsie with election fraud / conspiracy / extortion threat could turn into some post-presidency poo poo if a Georgia DA can find a state law that was violated here. It's vague enough that Donnie has some wiggle room, but he's so scared of getting charged for crimes that he's likely committing crimes.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It was an unwritten rule under :decorum:, because if you prosecuted their guy, they would turn around and do it to yours.

Richard Nixon pushed it slightly too far with Watergate, and said the quiet part out loud, but everyone in power wanted to sweep it under the rug and get on with things, hence he got pardoned by Ford, and every president after got along with their various non election related crimes with a wink and a nudge.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Four minutes and change of the audio:

https://twitter.com/keithedwards/status/1345796238722129923

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

Four minutes and change of the audio:

So not your area, but this sure adds up to Donnie kinda being hosed. Check my logic?

1) there are state-specific laws on the books in Georgia for election crimes

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1345805510944174087?s=19

2) in the ramble, Donnie was threatening the SecState with a vague crime (possibly Donnie's only saving grace)

3) sure looks like in Georgia, the state crimes are handled by District Attorneys, at the county level. The Georgia State capital is Atlanta, part of Fulton County, with a Democratic DA.

There's likely enough vagueness in the call that Donnie skates, but holy poo poo that's a lot of math pointing to a state crime.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Shatner has enough money. He's going to stop selling his poo poo in the UK because of what equates to a tax accountant fee on his end? Does he not profit more than $1000/year from the sales of his trinkets in the UK or do the losses start cutting into his History Channel bullshit show money?

I'm not really a fan. Dude always came off as a tremendous douche to me and that's not a reason to celebrate a person.

He may be a tremendous douche, but it's a smart business decision. I'd do the same thing, whether I could pull the bullshit costs out of my couch cushions or not.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, I figured there were larger consequences beyond "just raise the price" but there are effectively products and goods that it's just going to happen with, so in order to break even, every importer will charge more.

Food.

quote:

What does the UK even make anymore?

Bad decisions.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 3, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The question as to whether that call rises to criminal conduct will be answered in the coming weeks.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:v:

If anything, it's the classic Donnie thing again - a whole bunch of his die-hards climb on that limb for him (the Cruz/Hawley poo poo), then he saws off the tree branch and they all comically fall while he laughs at them.

https://twitter.com/commentiquette/status/1345810495459102720?s=19

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
he will just pardon himself

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hot Karl Marx posted:

That's why I focused on the state crimes. Donnie can't pardon his own state crimes! On top of that, Georgia does all their pardons through a 9-member board, appointed by Governor Kemp to 7-year terms, and Donnie has been making GBS threads on Kemp for weeks now.

Kind of the wrong state to be state criming in.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
having a republican state step up and hold Trump accountable, no matter what the conditions are, seems unlikely to me man. i sincerely hope i'm wrong, though

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Next time I catch a six-hour probe, I'm going to send pseudo-threatening PMs to whichever mod did it and make statements like "...the forums know what you've done to the poster, and they don't like it."

:sad:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I often think of the career civil servants (which I would guess the Ryan Germany the general counsel is) who spend a whole career working hard and moving up through organizations to have to listen to swiss cheese brained Trump rant at him about the law and how they're in legal jeopardy. If partisan hacks I don't have any sympathy but I just feel for the IC and other civil servants who dealt with this for the last four years.

I also find it funny whenever Trump refers to himself in the third person at the end of the audio. Just cannot wait until he fucks off to Florida and dies on the shitter

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Hot Karl Marx posted:

That sounds like incredible election material for 2022 and 2024

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

maffew buildings posted:

having a republican state step up and hold Trump accountable, no matter what the conditions are, seems unlikely to me man. i sincerely hope i'm wrong, though

I absolutely agree! I think he walks because of his brain worms making too much vagueness.

What I'm saying is that he picked the wrong place to do this poo poo - nobody involved in the decision tree for a state prosecution likes him, at all. And he has no way to defend against it either.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Guillotines are apparently bi-partisan fare now:
https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1345580262277722112

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Surely it's a sign of a well-functioning country when elected representatives are saying other elected representatives should be put to death

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Godholio posted:

Bad decisions.

lmao

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/PhilipWegmann/status/1345824569056088064?s=20

Red faced Tom Cotton yelling at the kid later even though his kid being a kid actually humanizes him

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Surely it's a sign of a well-functioning country when elected representatives are saying other elected representatives should be put to death

Not gonna lie, I see videos of brawls in the legislatures of other nations and kind of wish we’d get some of that action here once in a while.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Midjack posted:

Not gonna lie, I see videos of brawls in the legislatures of other nations and kind of wish we’d get some of that action here once in a while.
Given that there's at least one QAnon cultist who was elected to Congress and has announced their intention to carry a gun into the Capitol, we might see worse than a brawl.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

I love it. You can practically hear whatever passes for the gears in his brain grinding to a halt as he realizes they're not just going to roll over and acquiesce to his demands. He's got no idea what to do when people don't give in and he can't make them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Who said anything about well functioning

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
The Cleveland Browns are going to the playoffa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Hot Karl Marx posted: