Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Unless they're in a wasteland scavenger situation where this is the only food they've found in weeks, there's no universe where a 9 y/o wrestles with *baked beans* for 6 hours. Dude could just have taken the L admitted it was a stupid bad story he made up and brought this storm down on himself instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also everyone knows that the absolute best time to teach kids things is when they're hungry and frustrated. This is when they're at peak receptivity.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The only difference between bean dad and someone ignoring their daughter to play WoW is the technology level involved

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Skwirl posted:

Sun Also Rises is a legit great book. It's one of the "dead white dude canon" books that made me realize not all of the dead white dude canon is complete trash.
Heh. It was one of my steps toward "You don't have to read the dead white dude canon, especially when they have Issues about Women." "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" was not so much a step as an escalator. The only Hemingway I've read with pleasure was the Nick Adams stories.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Listening to podcasts gets me access to guys like this? I'll forego the pleasure.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There are some wonderful history podcasts. Revolutions is very good, if dense.

"Let's starve the kid" dad is now trending under two different subjects , "Apocalypse Dad" and "Bean Dad".

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

People vying for that spot of 2021's first main character I guess

https://twitter.com/FeministaJones/status/1345739816898592768

Edit: requisite post history content

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Jan 3, 2021

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

gleebster posted:

Listening to podcasts gets me access to guys like this? I'll forego the pleasure.

He does the theme song to MBMBAM and I skip it more than I skip the ads. And you know how terrible MaxFun ads are.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ghost emoji posted:

He does the theme song to MBMBAM and I skip it more than I skip the ads. And you know how terrible MaxFun ads are.

Is it still all pillows, underwear, and razor blades?

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Was there some popular parenting book boomer parents got this poo poo from? While not quite as elaborate or bean-oriented, my dad liked to do this sort of thing too. Questions that should have taken less than 5 minutes ending up being multi-hour lessons on first principles.

Surprisingly I do not look back fondly on these experiences, and the lessons I learned were probably not the ones intended.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SpudCat posted:

Was there some popular parenting book boomer parents got this poo poo from? While not quite as elaborate or bean-oriented, my dad liked to do this sort of thing too. Questions that should have taken less than 5 minutes ending up being multi-hour lessons on first principles.

Surprisingly I do not look back fondly on these experiences, and the lessons I learned were probably not the ones intended.

I think it's just fix-it type Dads™ taking the "give a man a fish..." adage to extremes and thinking it applies to hungry nine year olds who can't intuit a device they've never seen before.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Mak0rz posted:

I think it's just fix-it type Dads™ taking the "give a man a fish..." adage to extremes and thinking it applies to hungry nine year olds who can't intuit a device they've never seen before.

The whole point is you teach them to fish, not throw a hook and a string at them and tell them to get to work

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Piell posted:

The whole point is you teach them to fish, not throw a hook and a string at them and tell them to get to work

Yes that was the "taking it to extremes" part I mentioned.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Calvin's Dad "builds character" energy is funnier when it's not a real live kid

or a racist twitter dad

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Part of the problem is these types are vaguely aware parents are supposed to teach kids, but know nothing about what teaching actually involves.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/juliusgoat/status/1345707142888755200?s=21

I’m glad I read about beandad before seeing this.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Mak0rz posted:

The tall women in the comments complaining that men never offer to help carry their stuff or that they get treated as "one of the guys" in a work environment are sure something. Im also loving that someone calling themselves "feminista" is choosing to approach this as punching down at short women instead of at the men that have the different standards.

Also everything shes saying also applies to women who are fat, look gay, ugly, etc...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My dad would always respond to "What does this mean?" with "Why don't you look it up?" which was often really frustrating in the moment.

But to be fair he did already properly teach me how to look up things in the dictionary or encyclopedia by then because he wasn't a self righteous rear end in a top hat.

Also knowing the definition of a word wasn't exactly a barrier to my own goddamn nourishment.

Bismuth posted:

Also everything shes saying also applies to women who are fat, look gay, ugly, etc...

Body shaming is cool as long as it's woke, get with it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Its like, the most basic, fundamental part of being a parent that you try to equip your child with the skills and knowledge they need to grow up safe and well-informed. Teaching your child that one of their parents is a gross, mean rear end in a top hat is certainly a valuable thing, but probably extremely painful, unnecessary and confusing for the child.

He should try not being a gross, mean rear end in a top hat.

But then, that's probably not an option.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you normally go around treating people with softness and tender gestures outside of relationships?

Like isn't that just called "being creepy"?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Mak0rz posted:

Body shaming is cool as long as it's woke, get with it.

Boy I love it! I wonder if she knows how terrifying it is to be a small woman around strange men, I think that might outweigh the benefit of having someone get your overhead luggage down for you occasionally

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fister Roboto posted:

Also everyone knows that the absolute best time to teach kids things is when they're hungry and frustrated. This is when they're at peak receptivity.
Yeah, this was a running theme that a lot of defenders in the comments didn't seem to understand. Kids get hungry often. They're still growing. They don't just eat at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If his daughter was hungry already and then he made her wait another six hours, that may not be child abuse but it's sure not good parenting. And you're generally not supposed to lecture kids when they're scared, angry, hungry, etc. because it's not going to stick and will only make them upset and confused.
More to the point, he is teaching her lessons. It's just that lesson is "if you ask your dad for help with something he'll belittle you and make you go without food and force you to waste your whole day". Kids like this learn very quickly to not ask their parents for help. Hell, if this is how he acts over small things, just imagine if she'd asked him something actually important.

ghost emoji posted:

“I told a story about neglecting & mocking my kid and now people think I’m a bad parent? Anyway she’s okay because I said she is”
This was another one that got run out a lot. So how do you ever find actual abusers then? "Oh you think he's being 'abusive'? I think this guy knows his kid better than you!"

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Bismuth posted:

Boy I love it! I wonder if she knows how terrifying it is to be a small woman around strange men, I think that might outweigh the benefit of having someone get your overhead luggage down for you occasionally

Yeah as a short woman myself, a lot of folks will (without asking) try to help or get things for me and if I’m wearing headphones or not paying attention, it’s stressful/scary when I’m not expecting it. Happens all the time grocery shopping.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

SpudCat posted:

Socratic Method, but understanding it poorly.

It pairs perfectly with "What?? You don't know how to use this/pronounce this word/figure out this thing it would take me 5 seconds to teach you? I'm going to keep repeating this in an astounded tone without helping you."

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

ghost emoji posted:

lmao it's becoming a good metric that if someone is in that podcast's circle they've done/are doing bad poo poo

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay I'm not up on the McElroy cinematic universe at all. What's been going on?

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Weren't they the ones where someone that they did a podcast with was soliciting underaged girls or something on twitter? Or demanding they send him pictures. I was pretty sure it was them

e: there can't be that many podcast brother shows but I can't find it now

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

ghosthorse posted:

Weren't they the ones where someone that they did a podcast with was soliciting underaged girls or something on twitter? Or demanding they send him pictures. I was pretty sure it was them

Nick Robinson, used to do video game videos with the youngest brother, creeped on underage fans. Hate that I know that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Please don't tell me the McElroys have been Milkshake Ducked or some poo poo. The year just began and I don't know if I can handle that.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

ghosthorse posted:

Not sure if there were underaged but they worked with Nick Robinson at polygon and some side podcasts before it was revealed that he was a huge sex pest. Between him, their friendship with Lin-Manuel Miranda and now the guy who does their theme song has revealed himself as bean dad (who also uses a shitton of slurs) the McElroys keep finding extremely lovely people entering their orbit.

To their credit; they've never done anything hyper-lovely themselves but it's troubling.

Vandar posted:

Please don't tell me the McElroys have been Milkshake Ducked or some poo poo. The year just began and I don't know if I can handle that.

just the guy who does the show's theme song.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Vandar posted:

They haven't, just a lot of people around them, unfortunately.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I mean, Travis Mcelroy keeps finding ways to stick his head in it (that weird born again christian harry potter bible con, ect), they continually go 'gosh, how could we have known' every time there's a labor issue on one of their products and yet somehow this doesn't seem to make them any better at proactively thinking about it, ect.

Like, cancelled, no, but certainly they're making fuckups on the reg.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nick Robinson has come back into relevance (and people have forgotten him being a creeper) because of some Japanese McDonald's training game on the DS. I unfortunately forgot as well about those incidents until after watching the video about said game.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Vandar posted:

As far as I know the brothers haven’t done anything abhorrent. Travis gets some criticism for being performative on social media occasionally, but that’s all.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/hilaryagro/status/1345815820769906690?s=21

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lol whoops I forgot I said a lot of stupid bad poo poo in the past. Time to lock up and delete that stuff before people find more!

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Mak0rz posted:

Lol whoops I forgot I said a lot of stupid bad poo poo in the past. Time to lock up and delete that stuff before people find more!

wowwie :eyepop:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

There’s an argument to be had about tall women facing some extra amount of social discrimination but wooooooooooow.

Wow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mak0rz posted:

very sad that this person is spoken to and treated harshly just because of her height and no other reasons