Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I liked Friday Night Dinner, except the final season where it had very clearly run its course, but I really recognised the kind of people it was caricaturing, especially the dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is the only show that's given me a stomach ache from laughing in a decade or more. Probably not for everyone but it's just so idiotic it's incredible

Yeah the sketch with the weird Garfield house was prob my favourite but there are so many great ones to choose from.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Goldskull posted:

How is it no-one's mentioned the greatest comedy moment of all time, Delboy falling through the bar? You all voted for it! just like Basil Fawlty smacking a Mini with a branch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J1J_iHC2Qw

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

stev posted:

I don't think I ever ate a meal at school that involved a knife and fork. Maybe around Christmas time when everyone had to eat the bad roast?

I don't get the obsession with eating everything with a knife and fork. Rice and curry or Chinese should be handled with a spoon (if not the appropriate culturally prescribed utensils of chopsticks and fingers).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How... do you eat curry with chopsticks?

Or your fingers???

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Sad Panda posted:

At our secondary FSM kids get 2.50? 2.10? per day of credit on their account and use it for what they want. Some of that is pasta in a pot eaten with a wooden fork, but frequently sandwiches.

I'm talking about primary school. Kind of assumed that was where the learning to use a knife and fork age kids would be.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It's now Brexit you idiots.
We now eat our food like God and the Queen intended, in yesterday's newspaper.
Salt and vinegar optional.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I'm a big fan of using a carb as a utensil for delivering food to my mouth hole.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

Or your fingers???

curry has lots of side breads that can be fashioned into a shovel for ferrying sauce to your face hole.

are poppadoms a bread?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Or your fingers???

Lots of naan/roti

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
I'm a bit out of the loop for the last few pages, so apologies if this has already been posted, but in my local area many primary schools will not be opening tomorrow. Unions have advised that under Section 44 of the Employment Rights Act it is unsafe so staff have refused to go in. Secondary situation to be reviewed later in the week. Is this widespread?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

crazyvanman posted:

I'm a bit out of the loop for the last few pages, so apologies if this has already been posted, but in my local area many primary schools will not be opening tomorrow. Unions have advised that under Section 44 of the Employment Rights Act it is unsafe so staff have refused to go in. Secondary situation to be reviewed later in the week. Is this widespread?

Let's loving hope so.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone else mentioned sending in section 44 notices so we can but hope! General educational strike hell yes.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Just after The Office got big, the BBC did a real documentary about a real life Brent called The Armstrongs.

Here is the full series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pss6RPtENPI

There are parts that are surreal. People accused them all being actors.

Brilliant, thanks for this! I know what I’m watching tonight!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm talking about primary school. Kind of assumed that was where the learning to use a knife and fork age kids would be.

Most school dinners I've had in the last few years have been alright, although I usually forget to bring enough cash to actually pay for it.
As I'm only ever a regular visitor (rather than staff), it does suck if your 'day' is cook-from-frozen stuff like fish fingers, and you have to wait for the timetable to rotate until you can get something good.

It's also less than half the subsidised price I pay at my office, and generally much better quality, which is a long way of saying "gently caress Serco".

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

OwlFancier posted:

I have also never stabbed myself in the dick for fun but I am more likely to take this thread's advice on that than I am to voluntarily subject myself to live stand up comedy.

The UK Stand-up comedy circuit has a huge problem that most of the acts are cis straight white men who ignore when one of their number is a sex pest, in addition to the default comedy set being "My girlfriend/wife is annoying".

I managed to luck into finding a socially-responsible and deliberately diverse comedy club, though, and it became a staple of my week.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

crazyvanman posted:

From reading the NEU & NASUWT Facebook groups, NEU have suggested sending letters citing section 44. NASUWT have said not to. There are some councils that are supporting schools, Brighton & Cumbria come to mind. There are a few schools where enough teachers have sent in letters that their heads have said schools will have to close.

Secondary situation is that all students are off this week. Remote learning should take place, with a priority for exam years. Exam years are meant to be in week beginning Jan 11th and the rest are in week beginning Jan 18th. Obviously that is subject to change.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Miftan posted:

Maybe my issue with british comedy is that I don't enjoy 'cringe comedy' where the main character keeps loving up and making stupid cringey mistakes for laughs. I don't enjoy Alan Partridge or a lot of Peep Show for this reason.

Same.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

Sad Panda posted:

From reading the NEU & NASUWT Facebook groups, NEU have suggested sending letters citing section 44. NASUWT have said not to. There are some councils that are supporting schools, Brighton & Cumbria come to mind. There are a few schools where enough teachers have sent in letters that their heads have said schools will have to close.

Secondary situation is that all students are off this week. Remote learning should take place, with a priority for exam years. Exam years are meant to be in week beginning Jan 11th and the rest are in week beginning Jan 18th. Obviously that is subject to change.

The 'prioritise exam' thing really gets on my nerves. I'm sure most people ITT have their criticisms of exams but they truly are bullshit, and the irony of our government stubbornly insisting that they go ahead and take place and then using them as a justification for keeping schools open is disgusting. Especially since year 11s and year 13s are absolutely the least safe year groups to be in close quarters with.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
politics professors are so stupid it boggles the mind

https://twitter.com/PolProfSteve/status/1345758064713101312?s=20

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

Someone else mentioned sending in section 44 notices so we can but hope! General educational strike hell yes.

I don't think any unions are advocating formal strikes (which is good as they'd need a vote), teachers will be working from home and schools will be open for vulnerable kids and key workers' kids. They are just pointing out helpfully that the law says if teachers feel their workplace is unsafe then they don't have to go to work.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

crazyvanman posted:

The 'prioritise exam' thing really gets on my nerves. I'm sure most people ITT have their criticisms of exams but they truly are bullshit, and the irony of our government stubbornly insisting that they go ahead and take place and then using them as a justification for keeping schools open is disgusting. Especially since year 11s and year 13s are absolutely the least safe year groups to be in close quarters with.

Well yes, but it is unfortunately a necessary side effect of the government's refusal to accept exams might not happen this year. There are exams happening over the next month. I'm a Computing teacher, so know that year 11 have an iMedia exam on the 11th and my BTEC DIT group have an exam on Feb 4th. Someone else in my department has a year 12 IT exam the week of the 11th too I think.

Until they budge on that, then as schools we will probably accept that exam classes need special treatment. We are doing a full remote timetable. Our head has said lessons should aim to be about 30 minutes each instead of the normal 60 because there's no way they're going to be able to sit there and focus for 5 full lessons a day That's fine for KS3. There's still some exam theory I've not covered with my y11 group and losing half the lesson time is going to be rather problematic in that.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Close the zoos says he but it's only going to send people to the aquariums, bird sanctuaries and arboreta in their droves

what about the aquariums, bird sanctuaries and arboreta mr so called forensic leader???????????? :catstare:

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

Sad Panda posted:

Well yes, but it is unfortunately a necessary side effect of the government's refusal to accept exams might not happen this year. There are exams happening over the next month. I'm a Computing teacher, so know that year 11 have an iMedia exam on the 11th and my BTEC DIT group have an exam on Feb 4th. Someone else in my department has a year 12 IT exam the week of the 11th too I think.

Until they budge on that, then as schools we will probably accept that exam classes need special treatment. We are doing a full remote timetable. Our head has said lessons should aim to be about 30 minutes each instead of the normal 60 because there's no way they're going to be able to sit there and focus for 5 full lessons a day That's fine for KS3. There's still some exam theory I've not covered with my y11 group and losing half the lesson time is going to be rather problematic in that.

I get that, and have colleagues in the same situation. My point is that the government is acting as if exams are some inevitable thing that will happen, even though they Scotland and Wales have proved it's possible to cancel them. I'm not saying that makes it easy for schools to prepare their exam groups for exams.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I agree with Owlfancier, I can't watch any of the cringe comedy things in any way without wanting to just try and run.

It's a kind of visceral "flight or fight" reaction from me and I always just end up leaving the room because I have no real understanding of how to deal with tension.

I think the best experience that I can relate to it is. It's like you are at school and your all in assembly and have to listen to some dude do a presentation on whatever the hell. And they are bad at it. Not comedically bad, but just messing everything up, being unengaging, avoiding looking at people etc. You can't leave because you have to be there and all around you people are talking softly, not paying attention and just generally ignoring someone who appears to be trying to tell them something.

To me, that is a kind of nightmare. It's not even being up there doing it myself, it's having to witness it and not being able to do a drat thing about it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

crazyvanman posted:

I get that, and have colleagues in the same situation. My point is that the government is acting as if exams are some inevitable thing that will happen, even though they Scotland and Wales have proved it's possible to cancel them. I'm not saying that makes it easy for schools to prepare their exam groups for exams.

Yup and it's insane. Gavin was very clear about why exams are critical and the only fair thing. They claim that they've already made reasonable adjustments. This has been a few subjects having a few changes to what's required and before the summers exams they'll mention which parts of the course will be in the exam. This will save students a bit of revision time but they won't tell us now else we would skip teaching that part of the course and that'd be unfair on students.

I have little faith in them to make good choices and don't see them changing their tune on this until the spring at the earliest.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jose posted:

politics professors are so stupid it boggles the mind

https://twitter.com/PolProfSteve/status/1345758064713101312?s=20

If we assume that political journalists are basically sports commentators, then presumably politics professors are the ones who tell people how to work out what the score is.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tesla was right posted:

The UK Stand-up comedy circuit has a huge problem that most of the acts are cis straight white men who ignore when one of their number is a sex pest, in addition to the default comedy set being "My girlfriend/wife is annoying".

I managed to luck into finding a socially-responsible and deliberately diverse comedy club, though, and it became a staple of my week.

Out of curiosity, who are the sex pests and where are the accounts or news about them?
I can believe it happening, just never heard of any UK comedians doing it. US sure, but none here.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

crispix posted:

Close the zoos says he but it's only going to send people to the aquariums, bird sanctuaries and arboreta in their droves

what about the aquariums, bird sanctuaries and arboreta mr so called forensic leader???????????? :catstare:

Keith "the Eagle" Starmer will never close bird sanctuaries

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Or your fingers???

Chopsticks for Chinese food.
(The properly mad Mainlanders don't even bother with spoons for their rice which I will never understand).

You can eat rice and curry with your fingers. You don't even need the roti. Mix curry into rice and scoop it up. There's a technique to it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

happyhippy posted:

Out of curiosity, who are the sex pests and where are the accounts or news about them?
I can believe it happening, just never heard of any UK comedians doing it. US sure, but none here.

Justin Lee Collins was convicted of harrassing an ex of his, but I don't know if he was sex pesting.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Justin Lee Collins was convicted of harrassing an ex of his, but I don't know if he was sex pesting.

I'm sorry I thought the conversation was about comedians.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I think all of the humour was meant to derive from his accent

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kingturnip posted:

If we assume that political journalists are basically sports commentators, then presumably politics professors are the ones who tell people how to work out what the score is.

Starmer currently winning on xV.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I agree with Owlfancier, I can't watch any of the cringe comedy things in any way without wanting to just try and run.

It's a kind of visceral "flight or fight" reaction from me and I always just end up leaving the room because I have no real understanding of how to deal with tension.

I think the best experience that I can relate to it is. It's like you are at school and your all in assembly and have to listen to some dude do a presentation on whatever the hell. And they are bad at it. Not comedically bad, but just messing everything up, being unengaging, avoiding looking at people etc. You can't leave because you have to be there and all around you people are talking softly, not paying attention and just generally ignoring someone who appears to be trying to tell them something.

To me, that is a kind of nightmare. It's not even being up there doing it myself, it's having to witness it and not being able to do a drat thing about it.

Oh hey, this is me. Cringe makes me want to hide behind the sofa more than any monster movie.

I got a bit better at handling it by doing some stand up when I was younger but several adult bouts of dancing in public (without insane booze levels) or doing karaoke has me right back being unable to deal with even basic tension and/or cringe.

I haven't watched the end of Parasite yet as its too unenjoyable watching them all lie. I feel way too involved.

I tried watching peep show and was like haha nope gently caress this.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

happyhippy posted:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/02/hbo-max-drops-comedian-james-veitch-special-allegations-rape-13212995/

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I like cringe comedy, but The Nightman Cometh tested me. It is toe-curlingly embarrassing, an absolute masterpiece of cringe.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Jeeeez i have the television on and there's an ad going for ryanair that's like THE COVID VACCINE IS COMING SO BOOK UR SUMMER SUN IN THE FUN HULLIDEZ RIGHT NOW LOL!!!! yaaaaay beer sun laaaaaaaaaaaads we're all going back to normal soon woooooooo :holy:

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
We are so hosed it's not even funny in a gallows humour kinda way any more:

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/1345841780328165376?s=19

WHY ARE THE ZOOS STILL OPEN BORIS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Mebh posted:

Oh hey, this is me. Cringe makes me want to hide behind the sofa more than any monster movie.

I got a bit better at handling it by doing some stand up when I was younger but several adult bouts of dancing in public (without insane booze levels) or doing karaoke has me right back being unable to deal with even basic tension and/or cringe.

I haven't watched the end of Parasite yet as its too unenjoyable watching them all lie. I feel way too involved.

I tried watching peep show and was like haha nope gently caress this.

Yes I'm exactly the same. Hate social awkwardness so I've ended up skipping a lot of comedies people love.