Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah that particular style of comedy is insanely uncomfortable for me, I don't find it amusing just skin-crawlingly displeasurable

e; 2019 was a pretty bad year, but lmao we were naïfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Z the IVth posted:

Chopsticks for Chinese food.
(The properly mad Mainlanders don't even bother with spoons for their rice which I will never understand).
Works quite easily - just raise the bowl to your face and kind of shovel in the rice with the chopsticks. Esp as Chinese rice has normally been cooked in a rice cooker so sticks/clumps together more than rice you might have cooked at home.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1345721302515134468?s=20

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah rice is really easy to eat with chopsticks. My dad made us learn how to eat with chopsticks at the same time as learning to use a knife and fork and although it was probably the only active parenting decision he ever made it was a good one.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

happyhippy posted:

Out of curiosity, who are the sex pests and where are the accounts or news about them?
I can believe it happening, just never heard of any UK comedians doing it. US sure, but none here.

There's been a bunch that have been mentioned, but as I understand it there's a lot more that don't get named because it'd be career suicide and their identities get passed around confidentially in womens' comedy group chats.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Femi is basically Male Tweetman at this point

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Loonytoad Quack posted:

We are so hosed it's not even funny in a gallows humour kinda way any more:

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/1345841780328165376?s=19

WHY ARE THE ZOOS STILL OPEN BORIS?
I'm assuming basically nothing will happen until the daily deaths reaches a new record, at which point the media will cough politely and Boris will implement a Tier 5 where everybody has to stay 3m apart.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ewan posted:

Works quite easily - just raise the bowl to your face and kind of shovel in the rice with the chopsticks. Esp as Chinese rice has normally been cooked in a rice cooker so sticks/clumps together more than rice you might have cooked at home.

It gets fiddly after your rice destabilizes when you get too much sauce/gravy on it. Have you tried eating rice covered in Ma Po Tofu?

The whole shovelling rice into mouth via chopsticks can also be considered variably rude depending on your company - sort of like chewing with your mouth open in the wrong circles.

Japanese food is handled much more elegantly with just chopsticks since they dispense with the gravy and sauces for their rice dishes and their rice is extra sticky to boot. I can quite easily handle Japanese food purely with chopsticks but I tend to prefer an additional spoon with Chinese.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Loonytoad Quack posted:

It seems weird to me, as an outside observer, that they made this huge thing about how Actually It's Not Our Fault, It's The New Virus! to excuse their insanely bad handling of everything, but aren't taking the out they tried to give themselves to actually shift policy. Especially considering the stuff a bit before Christmas where the EU was prepared to quarantine the entire island until they came out and admitted it's actually not that much of a difference.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

shimmy shimmy posted:

It seems weird to me, as an outside observer, that they made this huge thing about how Actually It's Not Our Fault, It's The New Virus! to excuse their insanely bad handling of everything, but aren't taking the out they tried to give themselves to actually shift policy. Especially considering the stuff a bit before Christmas where the EU was prepared to quarantine the entire island until they came out and admitted it's actually not that much of a difference.

my fave bit is the official opposition demanding an "october" lockdown, not a "march" lockdown

yknow, the one that went so loving badly it apparently bred a supercovid that murders children

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I wish we could plot this threads approach to solving covid.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My approach is just screaming silently and hiding on my sofa with my wife and five cats and then drinking so much I destroyed my stomach and can't eat or drink much anymore.

Hey maybe this will help me lose weight!

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Theres a lot of horrible things happening, but a super covid that murders children isn't something that has mutated yet.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just got a text telling me that due to a high rate of people calling with Covid symptoms, the e-Consult system is being turned off for my GP practice.
loving lol

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Mebh posted:

My approach is just screaming silently and hiding on my sofa with my wife and five cats and then drinking so much I destroyed my stomach and can't eat or drink much anymore.

This is me but I don't have a wife or sofa or thankfully cats or a working stomach.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Weasling Weasel posted:

Theres a lot of horrible things happening, but a super covid that murders children isn't something that has mutated yet.

Look, you can't just achieve that kind of thing without time and effort. Give us a year more of not locking down.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Z the IVth posted:

It gets fiddly after your rice destabilizes when you get too much sauce/gravy on it. Have you tried eating rice covered in Ma Po Tofu?

The whole shovelling rice into mouth via chopsticks can also be considered variably rude depending on your company - sort of like chewing with your mouth open in the wrong circles.

Japanese food is handled much more elegantly with just chopsticks since they dispense with the gravy and sauces for their rice dishes and their rice is extra sticky to boot. I can quite easily handle Japanese food purely with chopsticks but I tend to prefer an additional spoon with Chinese.
I mean I have been to some pretty posh banquets and it didn't stop people picking up their bowls and shoveling rice, or slurping noodles, etc... Anywhere with posh company you aren't going to be dishing your mapo tofu onto your rice anyway; you would eat them separately.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ewan posted:

I mean I have been to some pretty posh banquets and it didn't stop people picking up their bowls and shoveling rice, or slurping noodles, etc... Anywhere with posh company you aren't going to be dishing your mapo tofu onto your rice anyway; you would eat them separately.

It's not so much posh-ness as cultural inclination. I'm sure slurping and chopstick shovelling is normal and culturally standard in mainland China. In other places it just marks you as an uneducated hick - sort of like chewing your food with your mouth open or talking with a full mouth. I doubt any non-Chinese gives much of a poo poo one way or the other though.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:siren: :siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund - End-of-Year Update, Committee Elections, and Announcement of General Meeting :siren: :siren:

Greetings, fellow functioning human beings!

The UKMT Solidarity Fund went live in early March 2020. Since then, we've received nearly £8,000 in donations and paid out nearly £5,000 to a total of 16 goons in need. Your donations have made an enormous difference to the survival, quality of life and mental health of a whole bunch of people who would otherwise have struggled to get by in our current hellworld. So far, we've been able to come through on every single application, and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank and congratulate you all for your restraint in not submitting a bunch of joke shitpost applications (barring that one person in the Discord, anyway).

The usual charts will follow, but right now before anyone switches off I want to draw your attention to a couple of things.

:siren: Nominations for the UKMTSF Committee are now open! :siren:

Elections will take place this month for all five seats on the Committee.

Three of the current Committee members have already confirmed their intention to stand again: AceClown, Fargle and Maugrim.

The other two, Rarity and OscarDiggs, will not be standing, so we'll need at least two additional nominations to fill those seats. Being a committee member is not an onerous task (unless you're an idiot like me and voluntarily take on a bunch of admin work) and is extremely rewarding!

- Nominations will be accepted via post here in the thread, Discord message in the #ukmt-solidarity-fund channel, or forum/Discord PM to any current Committee member.
- You can nominate yourself - indeed we presume most/all nominations will be self-nominations.
- Nominations close 1 week from the date and time of this post, at which point we'll proceed with the election as specified in the constitution.

:siren: Notice of the first General Meeting of the UKMTSF :siren:

The "meeting" will take place both here in the thread and in the #ukmt-solidarity-fund channel of the UKGoons Discord, during the entire 24 hours of Monday, 11th January 2021. (This also happens to be the day that nominations for the Committee will close.)

There are two items on the agenda for the meeting (you don't need to read/discuss these now - I'll repost them when the meeting begins - but also feel free to discuss I guess?):

Item 1: Urgent amendment to the Constitution:

Paradoxically, in order to amend our Constitution in any way, we first need to amend our Constitution. This is because the current wording unintentionally demands a two thirds or simple majority of the entire membership (not just those members who participate in the vote) - a functionally impossible bar to clear, considering the membership requirement is "be a goon who reads the UKMT". As you can tell, I'm not a lawyer and probably should have consulted one before we ratified it.

Not to worry! We do have an out. Section 280 of the Charities Act 2011 concerns the power to modify the powers or procedures of an unincorporated charity (such as the UKMTSF!)
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2011/25/section/280/enacted

Essentially, the trustees (in our case the committee members and treasurer) can resolve to change our own powers or the Fund's administrative procedures in the constitution. Since we have additional members besides the trustees, whatever change we make must be approved at a general meeting EITHER by a two-thirds majority of people who show up and bother to vote, OR by fiat if nobody at the meeting voices any dissent. The change will then begin from the date specified in the resolution (or the date the resolution passes if that's later).

We don't currently have a procedure in the constitution for calling a formal general meeting, so I've made one up for the purposes of this change and we'll formalise it in the constitution later. For now, we're going with the smallest possible change that fixes the voting issue, as follows:

The Committee resolves to make the following change to the Constitution:

1) In part 1, section 6(1)(a):
Amend

quote:

The general agreement of two thirds of UKMT members, voting in good faith, is first obtained;
To

quote:

The agreement of not less than two thirds of UKMT members who vote on the amendment at a general meeting, is first obtained;

2) In part 1, section 6(2):
Amend

quote:

[...]any such amendment is made by resolution passed by a simple majority of UKMT members, voting in good faith.
To

quote:

[...]any such amendment is made by resolution passed by over half of UKMT members who vote on the amendment at a general meeting.

These changes shall take effect immediately upon the passing of the vote.

For this to pass, we'll need at least 5 out of 7 people to vote "aye", since 7 is our quorum for votes. As required by the Constitution, all voting will take place here in the thread (discussion can still take place in Discord), and voting will be open for the full 24-hour duration of the meeting.

Item 2: Discussion of Procedure for General Meetings

We don't have a formal procedure in the Constitution for holding a general meeting, as I didn't think we really needed one due to our weird online/anonymous nature. However, the Charity Commission will likely disagree, so that's one of the things we'll need to amend before we register with them - which we must do, as our turnover has exceeded the £5000 annual limit for an unregistered charity.

As a starting point, the model constitution provided by the Government has the following, but it probably needs a few changes/additions seeing as our "general meetings" will presumably take place here in the thread and/or in Discord.

Model Constitution posted:

10. General meetings
(1) The charity must hold a general meeting within twelve months
of the date of the adoption of this constitution.
(2) An annual general meeting must be held in each subsequent
year and not more than fifteen months may elapse between
successive annual general meetings.
(3) All general meetings other than annual general meetings shall
be called special general meetings.
(4) The trustees may call a special general meeting at any time.
(5) The trustees must call a special general meeting if requested
to do so in writing by at least ten members or one tenth of
the membership, which ever is the greater. The request must
state the nature of the business that is to be discussed. If the
trustees fail to hold the meeting within twenty-eight days of
the request, the members may proceed to call a special general
meeting but in doing so they must comply with the provisions
of this constitution.

11. Notice
(1) The minimum period of notice required to hold any general
meeting of the charity is fourteen clear days from the date on
which the notice is deemed to have been given.
(2) A general meeting may be called by shorter notice, if it is so
agreed by all the members entitled to attend and vote.
(3) The notice must specify the date, time and place of the meeting
and the general nature of the business to be transacted. If the
meeting is to be an annual general meeting, the notice must
say so.
(4) The notice must be given to all the members and to
the trustees.

So yeah, if you have an opinion to express on this stuff, do pop into the thread or the #ukmt-solidarity-fund Discord channel at some point on Monday, 11th January 2021.

Thank gently caress that's all done with. Now back to your regularly scheduled

:siren: Charts and Stuff :siren:

December Stats:

Year 1 Stats (from start of business in March):

Monthly donations and payouts:

Cumulative donations and payouts:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

Donate:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/ukmtsolidarity - Please mark your donation as a gift, *not* as payment for services, as the latter incurs a charge!
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, Oscar Diggs or Rarity.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

TACD posted:

I'm assuming basically nothing will happen until the daily deaths reaches a new record, at which point the media will cough politely and Boris will implement a Tier 5 where everybody has to stay 3m apart.

nah we're changing to 6 feet now we've left the EU

and you have to sing what age are you now as well as the happy birthday song when you wash your hands

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i detest the happy birthday song, i do yankee doodle dandy instead :c00l:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

crispix doesnt take anything seriously, I'm incredibly angry that someone put crispix in charge. It's ridiculous.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Crispix is very serious about making irc a good and safe place to hang out. Ps. #ukgoons on synirc!

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I like remembering that I liked comedy when first watching it ten or twenty years ago or so and not revisiting it because its either problematic or poo poo anyway, whats the point. Nowadays I just sit around laughing at anything.

kingturnip posted:

Just got a text telling me that due to a high rate of people calling with Covid symptoms, the e-Consult system is being turned off for my GP practice.
loving lol

I'm dreading any inconvenient yet painful injuries over the next few months. My entire house is a Final Destination style trap, but rather than dying just an ear gets cut off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErxKDbH-iiI

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Sounds like a maybe good idea, but only if the government had been planning it for most of the last year (and they were competent in the first place). Suggesting this for something happening tomorrow morning is just kind of bizarre.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I wish we could plot this threads approach to solving covid.

As far as I can remember it's consistently pro-severe lockdown from the start.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

kingturnip posted:

loving lol

So if you need a doctor now what? Just die?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Necrothatcher posted:

As far as I can remember it's consistently pro-severe lockdown from the start.

Yeah that is not the gotcha 99 thinks it is lol

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Schoolchat:

I'm a paediatrician, and there's been a lot of chat in paediatric circles regarding school and covid.

Kids aren't really getting COVID. And if they are, they aren't getting sick enough from it to warrant hospitalisation. I personally haven't seen any in the DGH I'm currently working at, and a few colleagues have seen cases dotted around the region.

There is a rare and presumed auto-immune condition which looks a bit like Kawasaki's disease - PIMS-TS - which has been associated with covid and has made children (almost exclusively older children/teens) very unwell. This still only represents a few cases nationally.

The college is keen for children to go back to school. I know a few people have been glib about children learning to use cutlery, but you can essentially treat this as a surrogate marker for development and engagement.

When I do autism assessment clinics I often get referred little 2 1/2 year olds who are just a bit behind on language, maybe have a few odd behaviours. If they are clearly autistic we go down the autism pathway then and there, otherwise I often just say "see how he is in nursery, we'll get them to write a report to us". Often a combination of (a) extra time to develop and (b) the socialising and stimulating environment of school, are enough for these kids' development to come on leaps and bounds. The developmental benefits of school continue beyond the toddlers going into nursery. It's not just the educational benefits of school that are important, it's the socialising and development benefits too. Children get exposed to people, ideas and practices outside of their home lives. They get some degree of routine and structure to their day. There's a real risk that the kids with parents who are either too busy to entertain them, or too crap to bother, will spend 2 years watching YouTube videos and little else. Kids who aren't just educationally behind, but socially and developmentally behind too.

Of course, there's also a wholly cynical thread of people who want schools open so parents can come to work. And the fact that children can still spread infection at school (worse with teens, better with younger kids). Fully agree that schools should be the last thing to close and first thing to open. I just don't like the idea that everyone thinks kids going back to school is just about sitting GCSEs.

Anyway I'll leave you with a tweet thread that's quite good.

https://twitter.com/apsmunro/status/1345711455220412418

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

How... do you eat curry with chopsticks?

Or your fingers???
The missus used to go to a church which had an exchange thing with Nepal, and a dude from there came and cooked curry for everyone. He told them he'd be polite and try and use a knife and fork, but usually with nepalese food you kind of pinch the rice around the meat with your right hand from above, and then scoop it up into a mouthful.

https://trekthimalaya.com/food-in-nepal-its-polite-to-eat-with-your-hands/

My favourite thing about British mystics was how they went to India & Nepal and came back nodding wisely, telling everyone that the left hand is taboo over there, and they are so superstitious they all look at you in horror if they see you eating with it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Loonytoad Quack posted:

When you flatten the curve..... but on the wrong axis. :eng99::

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

crispix posted:

i detest the happy birthday song, i do yankee doodle dandy instead :c00l:

I do the first verse and chorus of The Red Flag for maximum socialism credits.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

winegums posted:

Anyway I'll leave you with a tweet thread that's quite good.

https://twitter.com/apsmunro/status/1345711455220412418

I read that twitter thread, and his response to people asking about safety of teachers and their families is pretty much what you'd expect from someone crowing about how "moderate" they are: loving disgusting.

He's saying that because other essential workers are having to work in unsafe workplaces, teachers should too. Weird how all the jobs he lists for comparison don't have unions worth a drat. Also weird how none of the jobs involve being stuck in a closed room with 30+ disease spreaders who have been told by dickheads like this that they're not at risk and can, by implication, do whatever they want.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Lads school is shut for two weeks, he's already climbing the walls and I'm going to have to work hard to keep him sane, but I can understand the risks.

I'm still not sure why they didn't make wave 1 of the vaccine all NHS, police, fire and teachers, then move on to the OAPs.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grey Hunter posted:

Lads school is shut for two weeks, he's already climbing the walls and I'm going to have to work hard to keep him sane, but I can understand the risks.

I'm still not sure why they didn't make wave 1 of the vaccine all NHS, police, fire and teachers, then move on to the OAPs.

The cynical answer is that the consent manufacturing machine has already cast NHS workers as heroes to be sacrificed in a war, and teachers as workshy lefties who want more time off.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Also they need to at least to keep their voter base alive for another four years.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah I'm married to a teacher so I'm inherently biased but to my mind the obvious scale is: hospital staff -> care home staff -> teachers -> most clinically vulnerable -> olds -> everyone else in decreasing age order

Though I guess olds are much more likely to vote tory than the preceeding groups in my plan.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Grey Hunter posted:

it's indeed exactly the opposite - OAPs/frontline workers are phase 1, 'first responders, the military, those involved in the justice system, teachers, transport workers, and public servants essential to the pandemic response' are phase 2

the main decisionmaking factor cited is given the vaccine stock and community infection prevalence, the committee has given up on using vaccination to interrupt transmission and instead is purely focused on reducing mortality+serious disease. The inclusion of frontline workers in phase 1 at all is justified not by their personal protection but by reference to their likelihood of transmitting to OAPs

quote:

Given the current epidemiological situation in the UK, the best option for preventing morbidity and mortality in the initial phase of the programme is to directly protect persons most at risk of morbidity and mortality.

given that the policy goal of breaking transmission networks is discarded upfront, heavily occupationally exposed individuals like teachers or essential retail workers are indeed deprioritized, 'subject to consideration of the latest data on vaccine safety and effectiveness' in phase 2

ronya fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 4, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
South Korea: Population 51.6m, pop. density 515/sq. km, urbanization 81%. Covid deaths: 981. News latest - We have achieved nuclear fusion world record.
United Kingdom: Population 66.6m, pop. density 275/sq. km, urbanization 83% Covid deaths: 75,024. News latest - War criminal: my thoughts on vaccine.

We could have done it in the right order if we hadn't hosed up everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My favourite thing about British mystics was how they went to India & Nepal and came back nodding wisely, telling everyone that the left hand is taboo over there, and they are so superstitious they all look at you in horror if they see you eating with it.
That's not a unique thing, that was also the case in britain for a long time because you wiped your arse with your left hand and a combination of poor sanitation and probably weird theological ideas meant you wouldn't use it for other things.