Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/108/status/1345073260510244867

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1345674728640446468
Two hour long Jenny video? Yes please.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DrVenkman posted:

Yep. I know for a fact that a lot of HIS DARK MATERIALS had to be reshot after his work on it. I was told straight up that he doesn't know what he's doing and that he barely seemed bothered.

So we're talking Kevin Smith's "I don't know which lens to use" but worse? Yikes.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

It sounds like Hooper is just wack at musicals. Are there any non-kings speech stuff he's good at or nah?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^I can't think of a single project he did that he made good as a director or any level deeper than just 'yes you've collected a cast of objectively good actors and let them just kinda do their thing, congrats' at least. His job in his best work could be done by a sign taped to a director's chair reading "REMEMBER TO BE ACTORS".

Dawgstar posted:

So we're talking Kevin Smith's "I don't know which lens to use" but worse? Yikes.

yea at least Smith's thing came from genuine ignorance, Hooper is someone who's been in countless positions to learn and just actively refuses to. Completely garbage level director that 100% deserves more mockery than generic hacks like Bay get and all.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

I'm actually going to complain about this.

If it's six one hour videos, upload it as such. I'm not talking about because of monetisation, or that kinda thing, but because it effects how people are going to want to watch it.

There's no way in hell I'm clicking on a six hour video, even if I'm not meant to watch it in one sitting, especially since the only way I'm getting the information that it isn't designed to be watched that way is from the creator's twitter.

Make it six hour-long videos, put them in a playlist, bam you're done. Maybe this is just me being dyspraxic as gently caress but presenting it as a single video, to me, says "This is one continuative narrative that should be watched in full." Like a book that has chapters has clear delineation, if this is treated by the creator as multiple videoes it should be conveyed to the viewer as the same.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Rockit posted:

It sounds like Hooper is just wack at musicals. Are there any non-kings speech stuff he's good at or nah?

It’s not just musicals, patrick h willems touches on it in his Cats video from last year but all of Hooper’s movies exhibit the same fundamental flaws of not understanding basic poo poo like composition or blocking, its just that it becomes dramatically more obvious the bigger the budget is and the more chances he’s given to gently caress things up. If he’d been hired to do Star Wars or something that would have been similarly cursed, with wide angle lenses held less than six inches from actors faces and insisting all the costumes be done in post or something.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Hattie Masters posted:

If it's six one hour videos, upload it as such. I'm not talking about because of monetisation, or that kinda thing, but because it effects how people are going to want to watch it.

There's no way in hell I'm clicking on a six hour video, even if I'm not meant to watch it in one sitting, especially since the only way I'm getting the information that it isn't designed to be watched that way is from the creator's twitter.

Make it six hour-long videos, put them in a playlist, bam you're done. Maybe this is just me being dyspraxic as gently caress but presenting it as a single video, to me, says "This is one continuative narrative that should be watched in full." Like a book that has chapters has clear delineation, if this is treated by the creator as multiple videoes it should be conveyed to the viewer as the same.

I agree, honestly this trend of super long videos is pretty annoying. I had four hour lectures every Friday at university for a few months this fall but even then they were split up and grouped into 45 min chunks based on what they were about, and these videos not even doing that is pretty bad.

I procrastinated on watching VBs phantasmagoria video because it was for too long but then when I finally did I really appreciated that I was recommended to skip the first hour since I already had the context, which I really appreciate, though algorithms aside, I think having the context as a separate video would have been good to make it clear before watching.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rockit posted:

I remember enjoying The Damned United, but it helped that Brian Clough vs LUFC is a fascinating story in and of itself.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

You can't just make up words

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think they should make the videos longer

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Alacron posted:

That is not a made up word. Does your version of the internet not come with Google or something

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Alacron posted:

uhh dyspraxic is a word altough it's more to do with hand/eye coordination.

(Signed: Person who had it pretty bad in childhood)

Dyscalculic is also a word. Now that one I actually didn't know until later.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Vagabundo posted:

I remember enjoying The Damned United, but it helped that Brian Clough vs LUFC is a fascinating story in and of itself.

That movie also kinda works with Hooper's...style, so to speak. Maybe just because you could still think it was a style at the time, I guess.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Kim Justice posted:

uhh dyspraxic is a word altough it's more to do with hand/eye coordination.

(Signed: Person who had it pretty bad in childhood)

Dyscalculic is also a word. Now that one I actually didn't know until later.

Yeah, I looked it up after I made that post. Still makes no sense to use it there though.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Bonaventure posted:

The King’s Speech sucks!!!!!!!! I hate it
I haaated the look of that movie. Especially the composition. Like yeah it has great acting actors but I honestly felt like that almost got ruined by how distracting the visuals were too.

DrVenkman posted:

Yep. I know for a fact that a lot of HIS DARK MATERIALS had to be reshot after his work on it. I was told straight up that he doesn't know what he's doing and that he barely seemed bothered.
I don't know anything about Hooper but this is starting to reek of some kind of nepotism. Does Hooper come from a very influential family in the business or how on earth is he still emperorring around? Is it just the Oscar nods and wins?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sarcopenia posted:

I haaated the look of that movie. Especially the composition. Like yeah it has great acting actors but I honestly felt like that almost got ruined by how distracting the visuals were too.

I don't know anything about Hooper but this is starting to reek of some kind of nepotism. Does Hooper come from a very influential family in the business or how on earth is he still emperorring around? Is it just the Oscar nods and wins?

would it shock you to know his mother is a writer/professor and his father has spent his entire adult life in the english government's various media projects? And Hooper literally only did The King's Speech because his mother found it as an unproduced play and suggested it to him?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Hattie Masters posted:

Like a book that has chapters has clear delineation, if this is treated by the creator as multiple videoes it should be conveyed to the viewer as the same.

I mean, the video has chapters and every chapter has a brief introduction with what has been covered so far.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

sexpig by night posted:

would it shock you to know his mother is a writer/professor and his father has spent his entire adult life in the english government's various media projects? And Hooper literally only did The King's Speech because his mother found it as an unproduced play and suggested it to him?

I was about to ask how does this guy keep getting work then I read this post...

The existence of the belief that our society is a legit meritocracy and not just a hereditary monarchy with a few extra steps continues to baffle me.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

When The King’s Speech first came out I did nothing but complain about the shot composition after seeing, and I got told I was crazy or that they “didn’t notice” by multiple people. It’s nice to be vindicated for that opinion so many years later.

His overuse of negative space is both distracting and nonsensical, he is trying to have a style but that style has no logic to it, it’s so weird.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jamie Faith posted:

I was about to ask how does this guy keep getting work then I read this post...

The existence of the belief that our society is a legit meritocracy and not just a hereditary monarchy with a few extra steps continues to baffle me.

yea like Hooper is at least a bit 'lesser' because he still had to make the jump from 'mom's a writer and dad's a government dude' to directing vs, say, the Snyder path of 'I'm just doing what dad did' but yea it's super a classic case of 'if his mother didn't literally hand him his most mainstream praised work and he didn't have the money from two very well paid parents he'd be just another dipshit making tiny movies nobody sees'.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

Haha of loving course. I know wet water when I see it. Like I know that Hollywood is 98% a nepotism machine but most people at least have the good sense to actually learn the bare basics.

...Omg I dropped His Dark Materials after 2 episodes despite being very excited for it because I thought it was so badly done. I just looked it up and of course he directed those two episodes. I should have known, it reeked of him. I guess I'll give it another try.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Austin McConnell-"KFC's Pointless, No Good, Very Bad Lifetime Movie"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np5tFlmRUIc
This is the first video I've seen on this movie that actually goes into how desperate KFC is rather than how whaaacky this movie is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
to celebrate the end of 2020, Team Poor Life Choices(Klaige, Murphagator, PJ DiCesare, and MechaRichter) revisit Duck Game. It's always an incredible time. It's also incredible that they've apparently continued to update Duck Game, adding a shitload of new weapons and options, including a sleeping bag cannon(that encases you in one of those full-body-except-face sleeping bags if it hits you) and an anime sword that you can do all sorts of ridiculous posing with, or throw it like a missile.

It's a grand time, if you don't want lobby shenanigans skip around a bit to get to the gameplay bits.
https://twitch.tv/videos/856757091?t=19680s

Klaige's perspective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c7GgyC5Uc8&hd=1

their duck game videos are so good the devs added some stuff to the game because of them. Such as a sentry gun furniture piece for the lobby that instagibs anyone who clips through the wall into your lobby room explicitly because they figured out a way to clip through walls in the game. they did that instead of actually fixing the clipping, because the clipping is entertaining. :v:

edit: man seeing someone use the anime sword("energy scimitar") properly is nuts
https://twitter.com/superjoebob/status/1235696408285433856

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 4, 2021

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Alacron posted:

Yeah, I looked it up after I made that post. Still makes no sense to use it there though.

Fun fact: Dyspraxia also effects people's behavioural patterns, similarly to other forms of neurodiversity. It's why it's diagnosed via clinical psychology, and can occasionally be detected via speech patterns and sentence structure.

Source: I'm dyspraxic as gently caress, both of those things featured heavily in my original diagnosis, and I was once accurately pegged as a dyspraxic just by someone reading an essay I wrote!

EDIT: one of the examples of this is being irritated by certain things beyond a rational reason, so I used it bc I was not sure if it was a legitimate gripe or just my dyspraxic brain deciding something didn't Feel right

Hattie Masters fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 3, 2021

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Impermanent posted:

I think they should make the videos longer

should be 10 hours long imo

Hattie Masters posted:

The video has chapters and you can pause and come back to it at any time. Youtube will remember where you left off. don't know why its a problem

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I do hope more people are starting to make use of chapters on YouTube, it’s been the best addition they’ve made in eons and makes a lot of videos way more watchable.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

LeafyOrb posted:

I do hope more people are starting to make use of chapters on YouTube, it’s been the best addition they’ve made in eons and makes a lot of videos way more watchable.

Yes! Its been the best thing ever

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Honestly Cats is probably a good thing for Tom Hooper's legacy overall, otherwise people would remember that The Danish Girl exists.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
honestly my biggest issue with the Les Misérables movie is why the gently caress did they put Russell Crowe in it. like sure he looks like a cop physically and poo poo but holy gently caress he can't sing. like at all. i like the musical enough that the movie isnt THAT bad for me. just kinda dumb.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He can sing tavern style but he is not a trained theater singer at all.

Same with Gerard Butler. I go back to Lindsay Ellis's musical breakdown videos just to listen to Butler shouting all of his lyrics.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honestly my biggest issue with the Les Misérables movie is why the gently caress did they put Russell Crowe in it. like sure he looks like a cop physically and poo poo but holy gently caress he can't sing. like at all. i like the musical enough that the movie isnt THAT bad for me. just kinda dumb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGRxZsmrPyk

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Youtube video chapters feature is so good I am convinced Google is going to depreciate it within a year with zero explanation despite tons of community pushback.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Srice posted:

Honestly Cats is probably a good thing for Tom Hooper's legacy overall, otherwise people would remember that The Danish Girl exists.

Oh God, he's the rear end in a top hat responsible for that!?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I will NEVER Understand this one scene where you just have this one character singing about how much he misses his friends who were all killed by the French military. It' a close up of him but were looking over his shoulder at an empty room. YOu would think this would fade to a shot of force ghosts of his friends int he good old days or something but NOPE! Were just looking at a loving empty room.

Edit: Here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqqSa9n2ZQk

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 4, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh God, he's the rear end in a top hat responsible for that!?

I will NEVER Understand this one scene where you just have this one character singing about how much he misses his friends who were all killed by the French military. It' a close up of him but were looking over his shoulder at an empty room. YOu would think this would fade to a shot of force ghosts of his friends int he good old days or something but NOPE! Were just looking at a loving empty room.

Basically every song other than "I Dreamed a Dream" is incredibly poorly served by the "single person very close" imagery. "On My Own" is the one that winds me up, a song entirely about imagination and the perception of a city changing that's filmed on one tiny wet set.

Cats is a huge improvement in this regard, while there's still a lot of that dreck in there its all mixed up with the film's nonstop attempts to dynamically include every possible fetish.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

well he isnt that bad. its just some people can't really sing ceritain stuff. and he can't sing musicals i guess.

BigRed0427 posted:

i did like the "heaven" scene but i am sucker for dumb poo poo like that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sydin posted:

The Youtube video chapters feature is so good I am convinced Google is going to depreciate it within a year with zero explanation despite tons of community pushback.

why would you say this out loud! drat youuuuu

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

BigRed0427 posted:

I mean........to be the fair the song is literally called Empty Chairs at Empty Tables. :sweatdrop:

I can understand the unintentional comedy that might arise from someone singing plaintively about how empty a room is when the room is not, in fact, empty.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

josh04 posted:

Basically every song other than "I Dreamed a Dream" is incredibly poorly served by the "single person very close" imagery. "On My Own" is the one that winds me up, a song entirely about imagination and the perception of a city changing that's filmed on one tiny wet set.

My 'favorite' version of this is Javert's suicide because you never really get a shot that conveys what he's thinking about doing so it's just bad close shots then suddenly he's off into the river like a joke smash cut. Just pull your camera out you loving weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sideways previously did a whole video about Les Miserables, if you want another essay about the ways Tom Hooper is Bad at Music, and specifically why his whole 'singing filmed live' idea is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ikqU6G6Xgs

edit: Film Critic Hulk wrote a fascinating article about Tom Hooper's cinematography back in 2013 but it's in ALL CAPS and I refuse to link it on principle.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 4, 2021